OtherGround Forums Popular sayings you just don't get

13 days ago
7/1/15

The saying I don’t get is “it’s like comparing apples and oranges” I call bullshit on that. Oranges are clearly better than apples in every way possible 

13 days ago
4/24/02
Vegito Blue -

I always hear retards say “I could care less” when it’s really “I couldn’t care less” fucking drives me crazy 

Or saying "for all intensive purposes" lmao instead for all intents and purposes. 

TT

13 days ago
5/8/16

Not really a saying I suppose but the kids use "Bet".

"I will be there to pick you up at 10AM" "Bet."

Bugs the shit out of me.

13 days ago
1/14/16

"The proof is in the pudding" is gibberish... and isn't the real saying at all but has gotten repeated. It's supposed to be "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" which has a little more meaning but isnt as catchy.

13 days ago
7/8/14
Vegito Blue -

The saying I don’t get is “it’s like comparing apples and oranges” I call bullshit on that. Oranges are clearly better than apples in every way possible 

I always say apples to bowling balls in homage to the Sopranos but literally zero people get the reference 

13 days ago
11/11/11

Not really a saying, but it's used repeatedly by news anchors/guests, business people, sportscasters ... Take "going forward" out of any sentence it's ever been used in and the meaning is still the same. I.e. It's a completely useless pyschological addon to imply positivity and direction.

Example:

"The Bills will have to address their QB situation going forward."

"The Bills will have to address their QB situation."

Means the same thing.

"We'd like to see more sales from your department going forward."

"We'd like to see more sales from your department."

Again.

Of course the non-corporate b.s. way of saying that would be "Get your team to meet your quota or your ass is fired."

13 days ago
7/31/06

A bird in the hand than 2 in the bush or however you say it

13 days ago
9/23/07
Ranman - 

A bird in the hand than 2 in the bush or however you say it

That one makes perfect sense.

Don't risk the bird you already have captured to try and catch more with no guarantee of success.
13 days ago
1/14/07
Brockback Mountain -

The worm has turned
Refers to even the idea that even the most harmless and meek creature will turn on you when pushed too far. So if some dork at school beats the shit out of his bully you could say "my how the worm has turned"

The proof is in the pudding is a shortened version of:
the "proof of the pudding is in the eating"
Which basically means you have to try something to see if its good or not. Pudding in england refers to all deserts, and before that some sort of sausage/haggis type food.

Dog Tired refers not to dogs, but some english lord would have his sons chase his hunting dogs and whoever caught more would get to sit at his fathers right hand side, but they would be "dog tired" from the activity.

Nice! Dog tired is pretty badass now. The worm has turned makes a lot more sense but I still can't stand it.

And LOL @ sogflop. 

13 days ago
6/27/15
Soul Gravy - "To your heart's content."

I just don't like it.

Ok edith bunker!
13 days ago
4/1/11

In a pig's eye 

Going ham on something/someone

"Porking" as a term for sex

13 days ago
5/30/09
kingofpancakes80 -

You stand on her hair, and I'll fuck her. 

I'm dying laughing

13 days ago
5/30/09
Vegito Blue -

Two different things. 

13 days ago
1/1/01
Brockback Mountain -

The worm has turned
Refers to even the idea that even the most harmless and meek creature will turn on you when pushed too far. So if some dork at school beats the shit out of his bully you could say "my how the worm has turned"

Which basically means you have to try something to see if its good or not. Pudding in england refers to all deserts, and before that some sort of sausage/haggis type food.

Dog Tired refers not to dogs, but some english lord would have his sons chase his hunting dogs and whoever caught more would get to sit at his fathers right hand side, but they would be "dog tired" from the activity.

I don't believe the explanation for the first and third sayings. Nobody really thinks worms are dangerous, and as someone who's studied a lot of English history Ive never come across the idea of nobility chasing dogs around a yard to decide seating position.

13 days ago
8/8/09
TexasThai - 
Sogflop -
Brockback Mountain -
sucromai - 
Brockback Mountain -

The worm has turned

Gee, you sound like a cunt.

Say that to my face poltroon, not online and see what happens.

I will knock your dick in the dirt.

"Dick in the dirt"

Refers to one beating someone in a physical alteration to the point they are left in the prone position, with their member pressed against the ground, or dirt.

For the motherfuckim win! Laughed my ass off, perfect timing. Thank you sir.

TT

Haha absolutely. Clapping furiously over here. Thanks, Flop.
13 days ago
1/8/04
It is what it is.
13 days ago
9/13/08
jaywill -

If your comin on, then come on!

First post

13 days ago
11/26/19

To 'beat around the bush' is one I never understood. 

13 days ago
7/1/15
TexasThai -
Vegito Blue -

I always hear retards say “I could care less” when it’s really “I couldn’t care less” fucking drives me crazy 

Or saying "for all intensive purposes" lmao instead for all intents and purposes. 

TT

Lmfao jeez.  That’s another good one. I haven’t heard that in a long time I don’t think 

13 days ago
11/1/19
Sogflop -
Brockback Mountain -
sucromai - 
Brockback Mountain -

The worm has turned

Gee, you sound like a cunt.

Say that to my face poltroon, not online and see what happens.

I will knock your dick in the dirt.

"Dick in the dirt"

Refers to one beating someone in a physical alteration to the point they are left in the prone position, with their member pressed against the ground, or dirt.

Ha!

13 days ago
10/17/08
jaywill - 

If your comin on, then come on!

That one jacks me up every time.
13 days ago
11/1/03

Whats a sticky wicket?

13 days ago
11/17/10

"dont look a gift horse in the mouth"

13 days ago
8/22/08
"For what it's worth" or "I would like to piggyback".
13 days ago
1/14/08
In Limbo - 

"dont look a gift horse in the mouth"

I've been told that in the old days of horse sales/trading, that you could judge the overall health of a horse by looking at its dental health. Poor teeth meant that the horse wasn't in good overall health and therefore not worth as much.

If you were given a "Gift Horse" you would be rude to try to judge the value.

Take a gift for what it is.

Chango