OtherGround Forums Pres Trump Signing EO Banning TikTok On Sat! MAGA!

3 days ago
5/13/02

I'll vote for Trump if he bans K-Pop

3 days ago
8/20/03
Slap Johnson -

Holy shot rofl. Donald doesnt f around. Goid fuck em!

i feel for nurses now what are they supposed to do at work. 

Maybe...work?

3 days ago
7/4/11
Suziwu -
MattyECB -
arc123 -
GhettoDestro -

Tik tok has been banned for military members for months now.  The servers are in china and there appears to be a huge amount of data mining going on from the app.  There must be some serious shit going on in the background, facial recognition or some fucked up ai 

More data mining than say, FB, Google, Instagram et al?

Besides those companies not being from a foreign government with interests and ideologies diametrically opposed to our own as Americans... Yes. Yes, it is worse:

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/fxgi06/not_new_news_but_tbh_if_you_have_tiktiok_just_get/fmuko1m/

I'm getting together the data now and enlisted the help of my colleagues who were also involved in the RE process. We'll be publishing data here over the next few days: https://www.reddit.com/r/tiktok_reversing/. I invite any security folk who have the time to post what they've got as well - known domains and ip addresses for sysadmins to filter on, etc. I understand the app has changed quite a bit in recent versions, so my data won't be up to date.

I understand there's a lot of attention on this post right now, but please be patient.

So I can personally weigh in on this. I reverse-engineered the app, and feel confident in stating that I have a very strong understanding for how the app operates (or at least operated as of a few months ago).

TikTok is a data collection service that is thinly-veiled as a social network. If there is an API to get information on you, your contacts, or your device... well, they're using it.

• Phone hardware (cpu type, number of course, hardware ids, screen dimensions, dpi, memory usage, disk space, etc)

• Other apps you have installed (I've even seen some I've deleted show up in their analytics payload - maybe using as cached value?)

• Everything network-related (ip, local ip, router mac, your mac, wifi access point name)

• Whether or not you're rooted/jailbroken

• Some variants of the app had GPS pinging enabled at the time, roughly once every 30 seconds - this is enabled by default if you ever location-tag a post IIRC

• They set up a local proxy server on your device for "transcoding media", but that can be abused very easily as it has zero authentication

The scariest part of all of this is that much of the logging they're doing is remotely configurable, and unless you reverse every single one of their native libraries (have fun reading all of that assembly, assuming you can get past their customized fork of OLLVM!!!) and manually inspect every single obfuscated function. They have several different protections in place to prevent you from reversing or debugging the app as well. App behavior changes slightly if they know you're trying to figure out what they're doing. There's also a few snippets of code on the Android version that allows for the downloading of a remote zip file, unzipping it, and executing said binary. There is zero reason a mobile app would need this functionality legitimately.

On top of all of the above, they weren't even using HTTPS for the longest time. They leaked users' email addresses in their HTTP REST API, as well as their secondary emails used for password resets. Don't forget about users' real names and birthdays, too. It was allllll publicly viewable a few months ago if you MITM'd the application.

They provide users with a taste of "virality" to entice them to stay on the platform. Your first TikTok post will likely garner quite a bit of likes, regardless of how good it is.. assuming you get past the initial moderation queue if thats still a thing. Most users end up chasing the dragon. Oh, there's also a ton of creepy old men who have direct access to children on the app, and I've personally seen (and reported) some really suspect stuff. 40-50 year old men getting 8-10 year old girls to do "duets" with them with sexually suggestive songs. Those videos are posted publicly. TikTok has direct messaging functionality.

Here's the thing though.. they don't want you to know how much information they're collecting on you, and the security implications of all of that data in one place, en masse, are fucking huge. They encrypt all of the analytics requests with an algorithm that changes with every update (at the very least the keys change) just so you can't see what they're doing. They also made it so you cannot use the app at all if you block communication to their analytics host off at the DNS-level.

For what it's worth I've reversed the Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter apps. They don't collect anywhere near the same amount of data that TikTok does, and they sure as hell aren't outright trying to hide exactly whats being sent like TikTok is. It's like comparing a cup of water to the ocean - they just don't compare.

tl;dr; I'm a nerd who figures out how apps work for a job. Calling it an advertising platform is an understatement. TikTok is essentially malware that is targeting children. Don't use...

Very interesting , and thank you very much for your hard work, and the work of the larger community. The downloading of a zip file is very worrying and breaks the platform rules with a sledgehammer,  that could even contain actual payloads which could in theory break the kernel security model. But since they are running SE linux kernel I doubt it.

Your data has put this issue context that is very valuable from our standpoint. Thank you once again

Thank you for the kind words, but to be clear I was just linking another dude's hard work from reddit. I can barely code and my wheelhouse is more life science stuff.

I do find these topics fascinating though!

3 days ago
8/20/03
RdotC -

Already banned in India and Japan... due to security concerns.

Good move here.

This is the issue.

TikTok is gathering huge info openly for the Chinese gov't.

3 days ago
12/29/09

3 days ago
9/30/09
Cuckoldberry Finn -
BostonCharm -
Wayne Glamcock -
BostonCharm -

Sooo pandemic..... lets ban theat goofy app that kids dance in for 10 sec. 

BUT...that gal who was with Epstein...I wish her well. 
  This is an apologist thread. 

Call me crazy or call me a red blooded american. But she’s like a chocolate easter bunny. Beautiful on the outside and hollow inside....I’m a fan. 

she is full of soy and depleted cum

But dat ASS!!!

3 days ago
8/1/13
kingofpancakes -

HAHAHA

3 days ago
3/18/02

good. fuck china

and the rest of the world isnt going to care unless americans are using it because there is nothing cool about chinese people.  doing anything at all.  no one cares about chinese people

3 days ago
10/16/10
camicom - 

"It's obviously a dumb platform with only stupid people," he wrote on Twitter. "My video was clearly the best on the platform, and if America doesn't get that, then America doesn't deserve to use TikTok. People on there were doing the dumbest dances: the Renegade. That dumb 'na na na' song. No one was doing the classics. Whatever happened to the YMCA?"
3 days ago
12/4/18

This may cost Trump the election. Hundreds of millions of users gonna vote against trump based on this alone

3 days ago
7/29/13
God Of Thunder -

This may cost Trump the election. Hundreds of millions of users gonna vote against trump based on this alone

You have to be trolling. No one is picking who they vote for based on fucking  tik Tok. 

3 days ago
11/16/17
Slap Johnson -

Haha haha. Love Tim

But WAR CHIPPAH against him on the TBS show.

3 days ago
3/18/02
God Of Thunder - 

people whose driving issue is a retarded app are too lazy and stupid to vote

theyre too busy posting black squares on instagram

3 days ago
6/22/03
God Of Thunder - 

14-year olds can't vote.

2 days ago
10/11/05

"Tell us all what the rational and logically consistent opinion on this issue is, kind sir."

I want to believe.

Edited: 2 days ago
4/25/13
God Of Thunder -

Hundreds of millions? You are a prime example of just how retarded and without any knowledge millennials are. How many Americans do you think there are right now? You think hundreds of millions are going to vote because of Tik Tok. Again how many people do you think are even eligible to vote in America?

No wonder America is going down the tubes, We have a generation of complete idiots.

2 days ago
11/13/14
Vindell -
God Of Thunder -

Hundreds of millions? You are a prime example of just how retarded and without any knowledge millennials are. How many Americans do you think there are right now? You think hundreds of millions are going to vote because of Tik Tok. Again how many people do you think are even eligible to vote in America?

No wonder America is going down the tubes, We have a generation of complete idiots.

Pwned.

2 days ago
12/12/12

Possible stupid question: So, if/when it gets banned, does it just automatically uninstall from people’s phones? Google and Apple have to remove it from their App stores so that it’s gone? Just wondering. 

2 days ago
2/4/09

Why did biden Get his staff to delete tiktok?

2 days ago
9/18/13
NoNeed4aScreenName -

but But trump...

2 days ago
8/18/13

LOL at all the lefties being pissy they can’t watch 14 year olds dance anymore.

2 days ago
7/10/02

No doubt it's not a question of morals or anything to the like, but of CHINA GATHERING INFO. What is so hard to grasp for some of you?

2 days ago
8/1/13

Looks like the threat worked. Microsoft buying TT

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/03/microsoft-confirms-talks-to-buy-tiktok-in-us.html

Microsoft confirms talks to buy TikTok in U.S., aims to finish deal by Sept. 15

2 days ago
10/1/16
camicom - 

Looks like the threat worked. Microsoft buying TT

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/03/microsoft-confirms-talks-to-buy-tiktok-in-us.html

Microsoft confirms talks to buy TikTok in U.S., aims to finish deal by Sept. 15

Now the guy who wants forced tracking and vaccination will have millions of Americans data. Beautiful champ!

2 days ago
10/1/16
NoNeed4aScreenName - 

He's ahead of the curve. Tough on China. Trump only decided to do it when he saw Biden doing it. Just like he started wearing a mask after Biden wore a mask.

Some people lead, others follow.