OtherGround Forums Pres Trump Wants To Purchase Greenland! MGGA!

8/16/19 11:51 AM
4/13/12
Scythrop -
saglv - 

It isn't something Denmark is even willing to consider, so there's really no point in discussing it further IMO.

You're forgetting that the President is the world's greatest negotiator, a man who plays 4-D chess while the rest of the world plays checkers.

i expect nothing less than a deal whereby denmark pays for the transaction.

8/16/19 12:09 PM
8/23/11
BiggGunn -
androb - 

I wonder if the people who are against this purchase would also be against the purchase of Alaska way back when?

(or if they even knew or thought about it)

i wonder if Russia would have a do-over on that one lol

alaska only accounts for 20% of the USA gdp. 

I wonder how much oil / gas / metals are under Greenland. 

Alaska's oil and gas industry has produced more than 17 billion barrels of oiland six billion cubic feet of natural gas, accounting for an average of 20 percent of the entire nation's domestic production (1980 - 2000).

"alaska only accounts for 20% of the USA gdp."

LOL, WHAT?

Alaska's gross GDP for the four quarters ending with first quarter of 2019 was $54.585 billion. US GDP for that time period was $21.060 trillion.

Alaska accounts for 0.26% of US GDP. Where the fuck did you get 20% from?

Wiki

i cut and pasted it in my post

8/16/19 12:14 PM
8/23/11
BiggGunn -
androb - 

I wonder if the people who are against this purchase would also be against the purchase of Alaska way back when?

Alaska's oil and gas industry has produced more than 17 billion barrels of oiland six billion cubic feet of natural gas, accounting for an average of 20 percent of the entire nation's domestic production (1980 - 2000).

LOL, WHAT?

Alaska's gross GDP for the four quarters ending with first quarter of 2019 was $54.585 billion. US GDP for that time period was $21.060 trillion.

Ah. I re-read it. 

Alaska accounts for 20% of the domestic production of oil. Not the gross domestic production 

sorry bigg Gunn. My bad 

but 20% of the USA oil production from a state no one wanted when you bought it is still a big deal. Just not nearly as big as I wrote.  

8/16/19 12:15 PM
12/10/18
EFM -
Scythrop -
saglv - 

It isn't something Denmark is even willing to consider, so there's really no point in discussing it further IMO.

You're forgetting that the President is the world's greatest negotiator, a man who plays 4-D chess while the rest of the world plays checkers.

Trump, at rally: And who is going to pay for the Greenland?

Enthusiastic Crowd: DENMARK!!

8/16/19 12:20 PM
12/10/18
BiggGunn -
androb - 

LOL, WHAT?

.26 percent, 20 percent - what's the difference lol

8/16/19 12:24 PM
12/1/05

A: We're not buying Greenland. (It would be pretty great though)

B: China is trying to invest billions in it. You might wanna look into that.

C: Trump might be smart, he just put that issue on the map, if anyone can see past their own noses

8/16/19 12:26 PM
2/14/08
BJJMadMonkey -
pendejopresident - 

With his love of destroying national parks and general disregard for the environment I don't see how this could go wrong

says the beanor!

lol I’m a white guy born in Michigan! Started using the name after the Iraq invasion in reference to Bush 

8/16/19 12:40 PM
1/1/01
Dirtywhiteboy - 

C: Trump might be smart, he just put that issue on the map, if anyone can see past their own noses

Reporter: Mr President, what is your view of the Irish backstop issue in Brexit negotiations? Do you think it will affect US-UK trade relations?

Trump: I think we should wear our underwear on the outside of our pants

The world: lol

The OG: Of course we're not going to do that, but Trump might have a point here. Underwear would get less dirty that way, or if it did get dirty, it would be an easier kind of stain to wash. If you could get past your TDS, you might notice that Trump looks at the big picture.

8/16/19 1:14 PM
4/13/12
LieDetector -
EFM -
Scythrop -
saglv - 

Trump, at rally: And who is going to pay for the Greenland?

Enthusiastic Crowd: DENMARK!!

response would likely be a confused crowd responding with 'mexico?'   

8/16/19 1:19 PM
1/1/01
Kind of shows how peaceful the modern world is that the USA doesn't just sail an aircraft carrier up there, plant a flag, and say "Dis ours now."

8/16/19 1:19 PM
10/4/18
johnsonbarr - My goodness the Trump hate is so over the top. lol Buy more land? They don't make any more of it so I say yes. I'd rather spend money on this than immigrants or welfare anchors.

This.
8/16/19 1:38 PM
1/1/01
Scythrop -
Dirtywhiteboy - 

Reporter: Mr President, what is your view of the Irish backstop issue in Brexit negotiations? Do you think it will affect US-UK trade relations?

The OG: Of course we're not going to do that, but Trump might have a point here. Underwear would get less dirty that way, or if it did get dirty, it would be an easier kind of stain to wash. If you could get past your TDS, you might notice that Trump looks at the big picture.

Good summary of the OG these days

8/16/19 2:00 PM
4/22/17
Pratty -
Scythrop -
Dirtywhiteboy - 

Dumbasses like you two creating conversations that never actually took place? Yep, a lot of that going around. 

8/16/19 2:11 PM
6/22/03
Land purchases have almost always worked out great: Alaska from Russian, Louisiana and surrounding areas from France, the US Virgin Islands from the Dutch.

Denmark only has 50,000 people there. They can't care about it that much. The option of getting a few trillion dollars in exchange for Greenland would dazzle the eyes of Danish politicians, who could then subsidize the construction of thousands of mosques for their citizens.
8/16/19 2:14 PM
6/3/03
TTT.
8/16/19 2:46 PM
12/2/05

Truman wanted to buy it too. 

8/16/19 2:50 PM
12/2/05
itskrisdude -
Fake Pie -
itskrisdude -

Yeah, I’m aware of why it was used.

I wouldn’t call the purchase stupid when we haven’t seen a single detail of a potential deal, and I’ll suspend any long term judgement under the possibility we find an ancient resource buried under a 10,000 foot tall ice sheet that solves the worlds energy problems. 

We’d be rich as fuck if that happens.

Is finding something unexpected the only way real estate deals work out in the positive? 

lol, Jesus

I’m being a smart-ass because yes, on the surface shelling out trillions and trillions of dollars for a massive ice sheet with a population that couldn’t fill a football stadium and a complex offshore oil/gas dynamic seems silly.

But like I just said, without knowing the details of a deal I wouldn’t pass judgment on a complete hypothetical. Whether or not the purchase seemed financially viable would depend on a ton of variables.

But the unexpected is basically what made the Alaska deal so amazing. Whether it was the Klondike Gold Rush, or oil/gas resources, a lot of the payoff had nothing to do with the original motivations for acquisition. 

So yeah, that unknown ancient resource could definitely prove all doubters fools, and no one should be certain of anything.

Im just saying like you there's no way to know if it's a good deal without particulars and everyone is shitting on it like they did Seward like it is just such an absurd idea. Unknown resources isn't the only way it works out so the Alaska comparison is being used beyond that specific fact pattern. It's more about don't just shit on it because a massive land buy seems absurd to people. Louisiana purchase was also shit on and people generally knew what was there. 

8/16/19 2:52 PM
8/1/13
Pratty -
Scythrop -
Dirtywhiteboy - 

I guess Truman was crazy too right?

I love the fact that Trump torments you clowns on a daily basis.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/its-not-the-first-time-us-has-tried-to-buy-greenland-2019-08-16

It’s not the first time U.S. has tried to buy Greenland

$100 million in gold in 1946 was the Truman administration offer that never came to pass

8/16/19 3:19 PM
11/14/11
Fake Pie -
itskrisdude -
Fake Pie -
itskrisdude -

I wouldn’t call the purchase stupid when we haven’t seen a single detail of a potential deal, and I’ll suspend any long term judgement under the possibility we find an ancient resource buried under a 10,000 foot tall ice sheet that solves the worlds energy problems. 

Is finding something unexpected the only way real estate deals work out in the positive? 

lol, Jesus

I’m being a smart-ass because yes, on the surface shelling out trillions and trillions of dollars for a massive ice sheet with a population that couldn’t fill a football stadium and a complex offshore oil/gas dynamic seems silly.

But like I just said, without knowing the details of a deal I wouldn’t pass judgment on a complete hypothetical. Whether or not the purchase seemed financially viable would depend on a ton of variables.

But the unexpected is basically what made the Alaska deal so amazing. Whether it was the Klondike Gold Rush, or oil/gas resources, a lot of the payoff had nothing to do with the original motivations for acquisition. 

So yeah, that unknown ancient resource could definitely prove all doubters fools, and no one should be certain of anything.

Im just saying like you there's no way to know if it's a good deal without particulars and everyone is shitting on it like they did Seward like it is just such an absurd idea. Unknown resources isn't the only way it works out so the Alaska comparison is being used beyond that specific fact pattern. It's more about don't just shit on it because a massive land buy seems absurd to people. Louisiana purchase was also shit on and people generally knew what was there. 

no what is absurd that this idea is floating aorund with no chance of coming to fruition with no willing seller.  a waste of time and energy.  might as well yell squirrel and distract people.

8/16/19 3:21 PM
12/2/05
vincan469 - 
Fake Pie -
itskrisdude -
Fake Pie -
itskrisdude -

lol, Jesus

no what is absurd that this idea is floating aorund with no chance of coming to fruition with no willing seller.  a waste of time and energy.  might as well yell squirrel and distract people.

Well then stop talking about it.
8/16/19 3:38 PM
1/1/01
camicom - I love the fact that Trump torments you clowns on a daily basis.

Trump no longer torments me. It's all about the lulz now. I've embraced the nihilism.

In fact, I think that should be his campaign slogan in 2020.

TRUMP 2020: EMBRACE THE NIHILISM
8/16/19 3:57 PM
12/2/05
Scythrop -

Trump no longer torments me. It's all about the lulz now. I've embraced the nihilism.

Lol not a terrible slogan 

8/16/19 4:27 PM
2/11/03
Personally I like make America great again, again
8/16/19 5:59 PM
7/27/04
Scythrop -

Wow so Trump did torment you.

8/19/19 9:45 PM
9/23/07