OtherGround Forums Pros & Cons Of Having An Avocado Tree - TME

9/19/20 8:37 PM
3/16/07
The_Rapist_/_Therapist -

Anyone know about the different types ?

I thought they were all huge trees, but there's one in my neighborhood, that's only about 12 feet and has ripe avocados

My great grandma has a gigantic Fuerte avocado tree. Gives hundreds of pounds of fruit each fall. Creamy flesh makes for awesome guac 100% of the time, just add your lemon juice, seasoned salt, and pepper. A far superior breed than hass, and it’s not even close. Look into it! I acquired a small Fuerte tree from Cal Poly a year and a half ago, can’t wait until it bears some fruit.

9/19/20 8:48 PM
6/22/03
TFK_HossPearson - 
Canooke -
TFK_HossPearson - 

Grandparents had a massive avocado tree in the backyard of their Redondo Beach home. It produced next to nothing. Between its substandard yield and the wildlife, I maybe had 14 avocados there over the course of 25 yrs. 

I'm sure your grandparents are good people but their avocado tree fucking sucked!

Agreed. Very disappointing in retrospect. 

30 seconds of research, and here's your solution: you needed a second tree for pollination:

"Avocados are usually not self-pollinated, because the male and female parts are not open at the same time. In some climates, avocados may self pollinate from the wind. This can happen in the conditions found in south Florida or south Texas, but usually do not occur in California."
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/need-two-avocado-trees-reproduce-64818.html

9/19/20 9:10 PM
7/4/16
Lazarus -
TFK_HossPearson - 
Canooke -
TFK_HossPearson - 

Grandparents had a massive avocado tree in the backyard of their Redondo Beach home. It produced next to nothing. Between its substandard yield and the wildlife, I maybe had 14 avocados there over the course of 25 yrs. 

I'm sure your grandparents are good people but their avocado tree fucking sucked!

Agreed. Very disappointing in retrospect. 

30 seconds of research, and here's your solution: you needed a second tree for pollination:

"Avocados are usually not self-pollinated, because the male and female parts are not open at the same time. In some climates, avocados may self pollinate from the wind. This can happen in the conditions found in south Florida or south Texas, but usually do not occur in California."
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/need-two-avocado-trees-reproduce-64818.html

Oh crap, now I need 2 trees ?

9/19/20 9:20 PM
1/1/01

Avocados are capricious bastards who will only bear fruit when they feel like it.

Hence the Avocadopocalypse.

9/19/20 9:40 PM
1/1/01

Con is take's a lot of space.  If you don't have the space, watch out for the roots fucking up your plumbing.