OtherGround Forums Rand Paul Blocks 9/11 victim compensation fund

7/17/19 4:36 PM
11/23/11

Paul blocked a push, introduced by Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., to sign off on the bill approved by the House in a 402-12 vote last week.

The bill would ensure the fund can pay benefits for 70 years.

While balking at the bill, Paul pointed to a need to get the $22 trillion national debt under control before adding any additional spending

It has long been my feeling that we need to address our massive debt in the country," he said.

“Any new spending we are approaching, any new program that’s going to have the longevity of 70, 80 years should be offset by cutting spending that’s less valuable.

“We need to at very least to have this debate.”

Gillibrand, a 2020 Democratic hopeful, said she was “disappointed” by Paul’s move to block the bill.

However, a spokesperson for Paul said the Senator is"not blocking anything," and instead is trying to figure out how to pay for it.

"Senator Paul is not blocking anything. He is simply seeking to pay for it. As with any bill, Senator Paul always believes it needs to be paid for. Senator Paul is simply offering an amendment, which other senators support, to pay for this legislation," a spokesperson told Fox News in a statement.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rand-paul-fast-track-extension-to-9-11-victims-compensation-fund-citing-national-debt

7/17/19 4:43 PM
3/20/12

lets do a real investigation for starters

7/17/19 4:49 PM
3/16/11

Its easy to make promises. Funding them is the hard part that legislators dont like to do. Good for him, I'd say if I were even an American. 

7/17/19 4:56 PM
7/13/09

Good, our government spends money  like a teenager with  fresh student loan money in their pocket.  

7/17/19 5:02 PM
1/12/10
Rambo John J -

No matter what the truth is, the fact that people are still having issues and will for years to come doesn’t change. 

If it comes out that the US was 100% behind 9/11, will that abscond them from compensating the first reaponders? 

7/17/19 5:14 PM
10/14/02
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 - 
Rambo John J -

No matter what the truth is, the fact that people are still having issues and will for years to come doesn’t change. 

If it comes out that the US was 100% behind 9/11, will that abscond them from compensating the first reaponders? 

the issue with guys like rand paul
is that they are great for talking about freedom

and some things need to get spending cuts into them
but not everything

especially stuff effects stuff like terrorist victims

he has been praised for the freedom stuff
and attacked for being for always suggesting cuts to the most vulnerable people

both are kinda true
7/17/19 5:19 PM
1/14/07
Anyone saying 'good' to this can fuck themselves.

This is not the bill to use for political games. This was a no brainer that should have unanimous support.

This was un-American.

So was the administration's decision earlier to cut benefit payments by up to 70%.

Fuck em. You can find enough to fund this for 30 lifetimes in the couch cushions of the Pentagon.
7/17/19 5:25 PM
1/1/01

This looks like a blank check for fraud and scams.

7/17/19 5:26 PM
1/14/07
White347LX - 

Yeah... because you can just claim you were a first responder during 9/11 and they cut you a check.
7/17/19 5:27 PM
9/29/02
White347LX - 

7/17/19 5:28 PM
4/22/17
RdotC -
White347LX - 

Yeah... because you can just claim you were a first responder during 9/11 and they cut you a check.

Oh so you're familiar with this then? Give us a detailed assessment of how it works. 

7/17/19 5:28 PM
10/2/12
White347LX -

They’ve had an opened ended checkbook for a while. I think they’ve spent over 5 billion so far. That’s a lot of money. 

7/17/19 5:30 PM
1/14/07
Akkadian88 - 
RdotC -
White347LX - 

Oh so you're familiar with this then? Give us a detailed assessment of how it works. 

To start... here's the checklist of all the documentation you need to submit:

https://www.vcf.gov/pdf/VCFClaimFormDocumentChecklist.pdf

You can learn all about the program at https://www.vcf.gov/
7/17/19 5:30 PM
1/14/07
bakobell - 
White347LX -

They’ve had an opened ended checkbook for a while. I think they’ve spent over 5 billion so far. That’s a lot of money. 

Yeah... medical costs are a motherfucker.

Who would have thought????
7/17/19 5:45 PM
4/22/17
RdotC -
Akkadian88 - 
RdotC -
White347LX - 

So youre implying having to submit documentation is a sure way to aviod fraud? That's cute.

7/17/19 5:47 PM
1/14/07
Akkadian88 - 
RdotC -
Akkadian88 - 
RdotC -
White347LX - 

So youre implying having to submit documentation is a sure way to aviod fraud? That's cute.

Pretty high stakes to try to defraud a 9/11 victims fund... especially with all of the additional documentation required beyond normal fraudulent medical schemes.

But hey... you keep on truckin. 9/11 Victims Fund bad!
7/17/19 5:59 PM
2/2/15

7/17/19 6:01 PM
4/22/17
RdotC -
Akkadian88 - 
RdotC -
Akkadian88 - 
RdotC -
White347LX - 

Pretty high stakes to try to defraud a 9/11 victims fund... especially with all of the additional documentation required beyond normal fraudulent medical schemes.

But hey... you keep on truckin. 9/11 Victims Fund bad!

Totally. No way anyone would try it. It's like completely out of the question. 

I never said it was bad, and calling someone, especially Rand Paul, unamerican for wanting to know where hundreds of billions of dollars is going to come from is definately the dumbest thing I've read today. 

7/17/19 6:03 PM
4/1/10

I am with RdotC

Fuck Rand anyway, as his father sells shitty newsletters he is slowly fading back into obscurity, where he belongs.

Edited: 7/17/19 6:05 PM
4/1/10

I never said it was bad, and calling someone, especially Rand Paul, unamerican for wanting to know where hundreds of billions of dollars is going to come from is definately the dumbest thing I've read today.

$7.3 billion

Where did you get hundreds of billions? You should rethink what the dumbest thing you read today is. You may have written it yourself.

Get lost.

7/17/19 6:06 PM
7/15/04

7/17/19 6:08 PM
4/9/19
boxingman -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 - 
Rambo John J -

but not everything

both are kinda true

I get him completely on this.  I'm sure he would love to do this, but how will we pay for it?  We have a huge deficit.  We can't just say yes to everything that sounds nice.   I'm sure if spending were cut elsewhere to pay for this he would have been on board.

Him and his father have always been like that.  No new programs until spending is cut.  We simply can't afford it.

Edited: 7/17/19 6:13 PM
4/1/10
JayMan - 
boxingman -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 - 
Rambo John J -

but not everything

both are kinda true

I get him completely on this.  I'm sure he would love to do this, but how will we pay for it?  We have a huge deficit.  We can't just say yes to everything that sounds nice.   I'm sure if spending were cut elsewhere to pay for this he would have been on board.

Him and his father have always been like that.  No new programs until spending is cut.  We simply can't afford it.

He grandstanded this one for the media time.

These people need care, and need it now, and deserve it.

There are a million other places for him to whine about fiscal responsibility.

The cost of the extension is nothing, like a deck chair on the titanic.

It is political theatre while people are suffering.

Fuck Rand, and fuck his stupid father too. Shitheads.

Two fucking zeros who have accomplished nothing in their tenures in public office other than TV time and grandstanding.

He has been pulling this shit for years, and runs away when asked by actual responders:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/911-responder-rand-paul_n_56212b27e4b069b4e1fbeb6a

7/17/19 6:15 PM
1/1/01
Zned - 
JayMan - 
boxingman -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 - 
Rambo John J -

but not everything

both are kinda true

He grandstanded this one for the media time.

These people need care, and need it now, and deserve it.

There are a million other places for him to whine about fiscal responsibility.

The cost of the extension is nothing, like a deck chair on the titanic.

It is political theatre while people are suffering.

Fuck Rand, and fuck his stupid father too. Shitheads.

Two fucking zeros who have accomplished nothing in their tenures in public office other than TV time and grandstanding.

He has been pulling this shit for years, and runs away when asked by actual responders:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/911-responder-rand-paul_n_56212b27e4b069b4e1fbeb6a

Just keep spending when we can't afford it.  It's only a few million.  No cuts to pay for it.  Good for him.

7/17/19 6:19 PM
4/22/17
Zned -

$7.3 billion

Where did you get hundreds of billions? You should rethink what the dumbest thing you read today is. You may have written it yourself.

Get lost.

The program will protentially last 70 to 80 years. Learn to read dipshit. How much do you think it will cost? Treefiddy?

I've rethought it. We have a new contender.