3/23/08

Danger close 8.5.

australian Vietnam war movie about the battle of Long Tan

10/7/19 9:23 AM
8/8/09
El Duderino - 
Bobby Lupo -

Joker 9/10- What's not to like? 

The Irishman 13/10- I saw a screening and DeNiro did a Q&A where he ranted about Trump. Imagine if Metallica put out an album in 2019 as good as Ride the Lightning, that's what Scorsese did with his crew: He turned back time. It's brilliant, 10x better than I expected.

De Niro is an amazing actor but unfortunately has a really bad case of TDS.

That's fantastic news that The Irishman is that good.

Agreed - I wish DeNiro would just shut the fuck up about politics and act.
10/7/19 4:30 PM
6/29/09

Abominable 

7/10

After seeing Joker, the wife and I needed something a bit more lighthearted. Saw Abominable. Animation was excellent. Good story and a few "dusty theater" moments. Had a nice twist too. Oh, and....

Whoooooooooop!

10/7/19 10:08 PM
5/2/02

The Art Of Self Defense 8/10 - weird and quirky dark comedy.  I watched it on the plane.  It's odd and probably not to everyone's taste, but it worked for me.  

10/8/19 12:49 AM
1/1/01

it 2 6/10 long and drawn out decent story and had some funny parts but overall just ok

10/8/19 3:02 PM
8/1/13

T-34

In 1944, a courageous group of Russian soldiers managed to escape from German captivity in a half-destroyed legendary T-34 tank. Those were the times of unforgettable bravery, fierce fighting, unbreakable love, and legendary miracles.

Very good movie even with the dubbing

9/10

Prime

10/8/19 3:11 PM
3/26/13

Joker

Brilliant. This movie was everything I had hoped for and more. Phoenix was amazing. Never in a million years did I think anyone would ever come close to playing a better joker than Ledger, but Phoenix at the very least did as well, if not better. Everything about this movie was perfect. We need more DC/Marvel movies like Joker. Definitely my favorite movie of the year so far.

9/10

10/9/19 1:07 AM
9/13/14

American Woman - 6.9/10

Previews made it seem like it was going to be similar to Gone Baby Gone but it wasn't at all. But it was still pretty good, definitely worth watching and kept my attention throughout. A few dusty moments. No tits.

Sienna Miller is a certified smokeshow. I'd like to wild it each with her twice on Thursdays.

10/9/19 1:41 AM
1/1/01

Joker 9/10.

Ridiculously well executed movie in all ways.

10/9/19 1:51 AM
3/2/11

Re-watch of No Country for Old Men - 8.5

Just a great movie with narrative choices and ending that took chances that I like.

10/9/19 2:11 AM
7/24/16

The Lincoln Lawyer. 6.5/10. Had that classic feel of an amazing book that would take 5 hours to make into an equally amazing movie, but they only had two hours to work with.

Edited: 10/9/19 2:14 AM
7/24/16
El Duderino -

Joker

Brilliant. This movie was everything I had hoped for and more. Phoenix was amazing. Never in a million years did I think anyone would ever come close to playing a better joker than Ledger, but Phoenix at the very least did as well, if not better. Everything about this movie was perfect. We need more DC/Marvel movies like Joker. Definitely my favorite movie of the year so far.

9/10

You are not the first person to say Phoenix played as good or better as the Joker than Ledger. I did not think that was realistically possible. Not even close. I'm going to go see it this week now.

10/9/19 2:23 AM
2/29/16

First Man

6/10

Such a disappointment...

10/9/19 2:53 AM
2/20/09

Joker

5/10

Here's the problem.  There isn't an ounce of charisma in this incarnation of the Joker.  None. It's supposed to be an origin film and there isn't a chance in hell that this effeminate, psychotic loser becomes any other version that we've ever seen.

He's unlikable in way that generates apathy or ambivalence at best.  

Some of the best scoreing and cinematography I've seen in a very long time and a masterful performance by Jaquine.

But to put him anywhere near Ledger as far as the execution of being the Joker is laughable.

a movie that was LESS than the sum of its parts.

10/9/19 7:03 AM
9/24/18

IT: chapter 2

4/10 didn't like it at all. Confusing as hell and loooooong. 

10/9/19 7:24 PM
1/1/01
donkypunch55 - 

Joker

5/10

Here's the problem.  There isn't an ounce of charisma in this incarnation of the Joker.  None. It's supposed to be an origin film and there isn't a chance in hell that this effeminate, psychotic loser becomes any other version that we've ever seen.

Some of the best scoreing and cinematography I've seen in a very long time and a masterful performance by Jaquine.

But to put him anywhere near Ledger as far as the execution of being the Joker is laughable.

I was kind of thinking in the similar manner. Like this is a weaker, more depressed, emotionally disturbed character than the other Joker's I've seen. There are hints of the angry psycho side taking over the weird, sad mama's boy side and maybe he could transform into Heath Ledger's Joker though.

I don't think it hurts the movie at all. Just a different, unique interpretation. Would be interesting if Phoenix played the role again and what adjustments he would make.
10/9/19 8:27 PM
11/11/11
camicom -

T-34

In 1944, a courageous group of Russian soldiers managed to escape from German captivity in a half-destroyed legendary T-34 tank. Those were the times of unforgettable bravery, fierce fighting, unbreakable love, and legendary miracles.

Very good movie even with the dubbing

9/10

Prime

Heard this was good, moved up on my "to watch" list.

10/9/19 10:48 PM
2/20/09
PeteyWheatstraw -
donkypunch55 - 

Joker

5/10

I was kind of thinking in the similar manner. Like this is a weaker, more depressed, emotionally disturbed character than the other Joker's I've seen. There are hints of the angry psycho side taking over the weird, sad mama's boy side and maybe he could transform into Heath Ledger's Joker though.

I don't think it hurts the movie at all. Just a different, unique interpretation. Would be interesting if Phoenix played the role again and what adjustments he would make.

My point is that there's no believable path for this Joker to ever be the Joker we know and love (hate?).

Not the Romero version, not the Heath or Jack version.  Joaquin's rendition doesn't posses the raw materials.  He simply doesn't posses the intelligence or charisma.

Im not saying Phoenix didn't do a spectacular job of portraying a character.

I'm saying that character isn't, wasn't and won't ever be, the Joker.

10/11/19 2:38 PM
5/3/01

The Death of Dick Long

14/20

checked it out on og recommendation. this was a good indie film, but there were some indie cliches that didn't work great. the "irreverent/wierdo/dickish sourthern kook" character is so played out for comic relief and as a foil i'm not sure i need to see it ever again as such a one-dimensional device. there's a pretty off-the-shelf example of that archetype in the movie and to me it's just kind of lazy.

acting in general is hit-or-miss, but some of it is great and most is good enough.

the style is relatively subtle but still apparent (think a more subdued early cohen brothers) and the story is interesting. hilarious, at times.

the point of the movie is a main character that's always sympathetic but also never sympathetic in a way that creates unique tension. i've never seen that play pulled off so well.

overall an imperfect movie that's worth a viewing and maybe two if you're a fan of the arts of cinema and film writing.

10/11/19 3:17 PM
7/31/15
donkypunch55 -

Joker

5/10

So my theory on the Joker movie and this I may have said before and will probably get lost in the annals of this thread, but I digress:

My theory is this - to properly enjoy the Joker movie and not have it marr your previous incarnations/origin thoughts surrounding THE Joker, think of it like this:  this movie is a manifestation for us to observe in real time one of the origin stories the Joker tells his victims about how he got his scars.  I don't take this as the definitive origin story, but rather one of many possibilities.

We are a victim with the blade against our mouth visualizing what the Joker is telling us about how he got the way he is.

What is in this film, is the imagination of the victim.  If I made sense, you will understand :)

- The Egg

10/11/19 3:36 PM
7/15/02

Joker. 10/10

10/11/19 5:40 PM
8/30/12
BarkLikeADog - If any of this is true at all, most likely outcome is the detective is gonna be salty with you for wasting his time & will walk away without lifting a finger aside from filing the report you've required. You could hogtie the guy & deliver him with security footage & a signed confession & nobody will give a shit. This is what insurance is for. Let them deal with it & move on with your life.

Totally disagree. Known a few charged with hit and run misdemeanors over minor parking lot shit if the other person can easily point the cops to the car that did it. Why would they be salty? 

10/11/19 6:15 PM
7/28/10

Avengers Endgame, 6 and that was being generous.  

10/11/19 7:28 PM
2/20/09
EggOfGreed -
donkypunch55 -

Joker

5/10

So my theory on the Joker movie and this I may have said before and will probably get lost in the annals of this thread, but I digress:

My theory is this - to properly enjoy the Joker movie and not have it marr your previous incarnations/origin thoughts surrounding THE Joker, think of it like this:  this movie is a manifestation for us to observe in real time one of the origin stories the Joker tells his victims about how he got his scars.  I don't take this as the definitive origin story, but rather one of many possibilities.

We are a victim with the blade against our mouth visualizing what the Joker is telling us about how he got the way he is.

What is in this film, is the imagination of the victim.  If I made sense, you will understand :)

- The Egg

I guess, even factoring I'm willing suspension of disbelief, am unable to allow for this Joker to become any other version we've seen.

10/11/19 7:56 PM
11/21/15
BlackandGold -

Anyone watch el Camino yet? 

Watching it now.  40 minutes in and hoping it gets better.