OtherGround Forums "Right to work is the cancer of the working class"

23 days ago
2/1/13

I was behind a car with two bumper stickers that said that. Wtf is that all about?

23 days ago
4/18/01
It's pro-union, I believe. I think right-to-work states are laws saying you can work without being forced to join a union.

someone correct me if I'm wrong
23 days ago
1/1/01

^ Some quick searching and that appears to be right. I belong to a union, I've heard of people opting out but nobody I work with currently does. It's a quick way to get yourself ostrasized at work. I believe those that do it basically do it to protest what the union is doing not to avoid the fees.

23 days ago
12/17/06

In to hear both sides of this.

23 days ago
4/17/06

Right to work = freedom

23 days ago
6/5/03
micmac -

Right to work = freedom

This.  Period.

Edited: 23 days ago
4/27/05

Right to work “can” mean less money. Union wages are “usually” higher. 

Lots of variations in the union/non union workplace and workers. 

Some unions are strong and the members earn their worth. Some not at all. My local union (AFSCME) used to be decent, now it’s hot garbage and I can’t wait to quit it, next contract. 

23 days ago
2/15/13

I belive that in stated like New York, the teachers union garners your paycheck for union dues even if you don’t want to be a part of the union. 

23 days ago
12/5/10

Lol @ right to work being freedom . Everybody knows before applying to jobs if there union or not. 

23 days ago
9/4/17

Doesn't it also mean your employer doesn't need a reason to fire you? 

23 days ago
2/19/14
Whambo -

^ Some quick searching and that appears to be right. I belong to a union, I've heard of people opting out but nobody I work with currently does. It's a quick way to get yourself ostrasized at work. I believe those that do it basically do it to protest what the union is doing not to avoid the fees.

This is correct.  Usually,  if you opt out of paying dues, you still get all the pay aand benefits,  the union won't represent you in any matters before HR, and you can't vote on union business.  I used to be a member uf Teamsters local 783, was a union steward for years. Towards the end of my career,  they dropped the Teamsters in favor of the FOP..

The union did great, by my book. GREATLY improved our retirement and our pay.

One of the downsides,  we had to represent everyone,  even the shitbirds that needed to get fired. For example,  we had someone who had a worker's comp case every spring,  and she'd milk that shit for the whole summer.  Had 3-4 summer's off in a row. 

She eventually got popped for dirty piss and got fired. This was all at least 20 years ago. Hell, maybe 25.

23 days ago
10/16/16

Right to work = right to not pay union dues. But right to work is more catchy...

23 days ago
9/29/10

Nc is a right to work state.  Here unions typical pay less but depends what you are doing. I believe all the elevator companies are union.  I’m in HVAC.  When I started 21 years ago I was a pipe fitters helper for a HVAC company.  I know back then union pay was 18.  The guys I worked with made close to 25 back then, I was making 11.

I remember being 5 yrs in and union talk popped up, my mechanic said we would be making the same pay....that dude had forgotten more shit than I had learned.  I was no where near the fitter he was.  I left that year to work for a small company doing real HVAC work (service and installs).  

My grandfather was a retired fitter and retired well.  I know plenty of transplants down here how used to be union....most are glad they are out now.

23 days ago
3/25/14

I have no problem with private sector unions. It's the public ones that dont make sense. No need for government unions.

23 days ago
1/1/01

Union only States and jobs are a form of communism

23 days ago
1/1/01
invalid - It's pro-union, I believe. I think right-to-work states are laws saying you can work without being forced to join a union.

Right to work States do not allow Unions to strike. Also, they essentially castrate anyone who is non-union because you are lumped I to the union bargaining units anyway.

23 days ago
10/29/13
William H Muncy -

Yes.

23 days ago
12/10/09
topteam71 -

Right to work “can” mean less money. Union wages are “usually” higher. 

Lots of variations in the union/non union workplace and workers. 

Some unions are strong and the members earn their worth. Some not at all. My local union (AFSCME) used to be decent, now it’s hot garbage and I can’t wait to quit it, next contract. 

I think unions lose money for worker in the long run. In my experience, unions hurt productivity which leads to less profit and lower pay and or loss of the jobs from going out of business or moving to more business friendly environment.

1/1/01
eubie5 -
Whambo -

This is correct.  Usually,  if you opt out of paying dues, you still get all the pay aand benefits,  the union won't represent you in any matters before HR, and you can't vote on union business.  I used to be a member uf Teamsters local 783, was a union steward for years. Towards the end of my career,  they dropped the Teamsters in favor of the FOP..

The union did great, by my book. GREATLY improved our retirement and our pay.

One of the downsides,  we had to represent everyone,  even the shitbirds that needed to get fired. For example,  we had someone who had a worker's comp case every spring,  and she'd milk that shit for the whole summer.  Had 3-4 summer's off in a row. 

She eventually got popped for dirty piss and got fired. This was all at least 20 years ago. Hell, maybe 25.

I've experienced similar stuff. People love the union for the contract, leave issues, not being held accountable on performance. However, they still resent employees that are protected by the union that are the complete fuck ups that require accommodations. Meanwhile there are many union workers that do next to nothing but are charismatic and float on having done something during their first 10 years on the job. I've never worked with a more entitled whiny group until I started working under a union, and many will admit it. Once you give workers the freedom to never be fired except for extreme issues you have a toxic workplace, and that's exactly what unions provide. My workplace is fucking miserable despite the best work conditions I've ever been in.

23 days ago
3/6/06
BadDog - 
micmac -

Right to work = freedom

This.  Period.

this lie you quoted?

in freedom a business owner has every right to negotiate a deal with a union where they agree to only hire union workers.

23 days ago
8/7/12
micmac -

Right to work = freedom

freedom for those pos that would of normally been fired. If you quote is relating to a businesses ability to shit can you when ever they want. Then yes you are correct.

23 days ago
6/29/18
GuttyProfessor -
invalid - It's pro-union, I believe. I think right-to-work states are laws saying you can work without being forced to join a union.

Right to work States do not allow Unions to strike. Also, they essentially castrate anyone who is non-union because you are lumped I to the union bargaining units anyway.

False.   Unions in Right to work states can strike.   I work in a right to work state and the unions have went on strike twice in the 15 years I've been at the company.  

1/1/01
Edit
23 days ago
11/20/13
BeavTek -

I have no problem with private sector unions. It's the public ones that dont make sense. No need for government unions.

But we do need guns to protect us from the government...just no unions.

23 days ago
4/18/01
JonJonesBone - 
William H Muncy -

Yes.

I think you're confusing it with at-will states