OtherGround Forums San Francisco Homelessness soars yet again

30 days ago
1/18/12
Jack Carter -

Please let this apply to Canadians fleeing liberal lunacy as well.    I will assimilate and respect the values of the place and people gracious enough to take me in.  

^^^

Good part of the reason i want out is because no one here can agree on anything because we are all so different

30 days ago
1/1/01
Throwin’Knuckles - 
Souljacker -

people really have no idea unless you are here everyday. I work downtown near 5th and Mission, right smack in the middle of it all. Shit and needles every morning. Then at night if I drive Uber you see even worse

There are no easy answers but no doubt there is a better way because this has never gotten better in the 25 years I have lived here, just worse and worse

Isn’t most of the problem voluntary homeless?

well if you mean metal illness and drug addicts yes but even when they get clean they need to be able to adapt back into society which is part of the problem

30 days ago
1/1/01
The Maestro - 
Souljacker -

people really have no idea unless you are here everyday. I work downtown near 5th and Mission, right smack in the middle of it all. Shit and needles every morning. Then at night if I drive Uber you see even worse

There are no easy answers but no doubt there is a better way because this has never gotten better in the 25 years I have lived here, just worse and worse

Have you noticed a significant increase in the problem with respect to recent political changes in the city? 

it has always been liberal but now it is a more hands off approach, at least with Willie Brown he was willing to be somewhat hard the homeless, after him it got worse and worse. Newsom was a fucking disaster

30 days ago
8/21/13
Souljacker -

Yeah that's a nasty corner. I live in the TL and work around Soma.

Just now some dude was trying to make what looked like a shank by scratching it on the sidewalk in front of my house.

30 days ago
12/18/09

About 1/3 of the city is unbearable shithole. The other 2/3 is still among the best cities in the world.  But the shithole is spreading and the good 2/3 is so expensive it’s not a sustainable situation.

its criminal that the public education isn’t better. SF should be a progressive paradise - high taxes and lots of rich liberal people willing to pay them.  But the city is essentially segregated and the inequality of education and therefore opportunity is off the charts.  Total failure of retarded progressive politics.

30 days ago
3/27/03
Bick Koxer -

About 1/3 of the city is unbearable shithole. The other 2/3 is still among the best cities in the world.  But the shithole is spreading and the good 2/3 is so expensive it’s not a sustainable situation.

its criminal that the public education isn’t better. SF should be a progressive paradise - high taxes and lots of rich liberal people willing to pay them.  But the city is essentially segregated and the inequality of education and therefore opportunity is off the charts.  Total failure of retarded progressive politics.

What makes it one of the best cities in the world?  The people alone disqualify it

30 days ago
7/7/17

SC has a favorable climate for homeless people (we have a few "cold" months), but, at least in Charleston, we don't see anything like this because it's tough being homeless in this area. It shouldn't come as a surprise that cities providing more benefits and that are more lenient are going to end up with more homeless.

Either that or we're euthanizing our homeless population. Either way, I don't step in human shit walking to work.

Edited: 30 days ago
12/18/09
jacktripper -
Bick Koxer -

What makes it one of the best cities in the world?  The people alone disqualify it

Beauty and access to nature and the outdoors mostly. world class restaurants if you can afford them.  Diverse culture. Unique neighborhoods. Always something happening at night somewhere in town if you like partying

How many people from SF have you met personally and what did you dislike about them? One of the best things about the city is that there are so many different kinds of people.  Small minded and sad to write off a city based on shit you hear on the OG and Hannity.

30 days ago
12/21/13

Plague is coming

30 days ago
1/17/03
Ill Portents -
Erik Apple -
Ill Portents -

San Francisco sounds like the American dream to the OG. People who "work hard" are wildly rich, property owners charge as much as they can possibly get away with and cater to the elites, and the people who can't hack it are reduced to homeless trash. 

San fran is a disgusting, liberal, hell hole

But what is it about it that isn't exactly how you want it? Grossly rich elites, property owners raping everybody, and anyone who isn't rich is left to starve in the streets. 

Mostly the disgusting liberals. But the shit all over town sucks too

29 days ago
12/18/09

IMO first step for dealing with homeless is separating down on their luck people who have lost their home vs hardcore bums who embrace the skid row lifestyle by choice vs. the nutsos.  

If you remove the latter 2, there is more than enough shelter space for group 1. The main reason people don’t use the shelter system is because they don’t feel safe around the skids and nutsos.  Let group 1 use the system safely until they can re-integrate to normal life.

groups 2 & 3 (skids and nutsos) would be best of in mandatory work camps.  Keep them off drugs and on their meds while doing something productive and learning skills to eventually help them re-integrate.  Sounds expensive but so much money is wasted on the homeless now and the problem just gets worse.

29 days ago
10/18/16

Yea blame trump for this yet again.. crazy how blind people are just bc they hate that man. Open your eyes people it’s been going on for awhile but yea it’s orange mans problem and now wait for Pedro/orcus/Hope this helps idiots to come in and spew dumbass answers. Blame someone else bc that’s the only solution in the eyes of some. I’m sure I’ll see some stupid rebuttal and no I won’t try to even have a conversation with some bc it’s pointless. Facts don’t matter and not worth my breath bc it won’t change anything 

29 days ago
10/2/12

Sacramento has basically decriminalized all “minor” crime. Steal anything under 1k and you get a ticket. Have drugs? Ticket/maybe. Fucked up in public? Nah. Well just move on. Build a trash fort on someone’s property. Sorry can’t ask them to move on. Shit or piss in public? Sorry ma’am we can’t do anything about it. Maybe we can refer you to a power washing company. Stranger in your house? Better not shoot them! Cities and counties busing homeless people to other cities and counties? Better not admit it or Gavin newsome will deny state money to “help solve the homeless problem!” Vagrancy laws? What are those? It’s endless. 

All of these policies are lib policies. Even if you live in a conservative spot if you don’t eat the bag of dicks Sacramento demands you won’t get money to deal with all of the drug addicted people that have been bused to your city by the big cities. Lib policies have handcuffed police and they can’t do shit about anything. I think this is the lib economic model of trickle up poverty. 

Edited: 29 days ago
12/18/09

^^^^^^^How do they deal with homeless in conservative cities/states?  

29 days ago
1/1/01

Needs more fentanyl 

29 days ago
2/22/13
Gib -

Needs more fentanyl 

yup

29 days ago
10/2/12
Bick Koxer -

^^^^^^^How do they deal with homeless in conservative cities/states?  

You tell me. Probably don’t give them welfare. Probably don’t give them free needles. Probably enforce the actual fucking laws. Probably don’t allow them to build trash forts wherever they please. Probably prohibit them from shitting and pissing anywhere they please. Just a quick thought. But you’re either a troll or a dope so I don’t really want to Feed you anymore. 

29 days ago
1/1/01
jacktripper - 
Bick Koxer -

LOL I can't even argue with that point LOLOLOLOL

29 days ago
8/7/19
bakobell - 

Sacramento has basically decriminalized all “minor” crime. Steal anything under 1k and you get a ticket. Have drugs? Ticket/maybe. Fucked up in public? Nah. Well just move on. Build a trash fort on someone’s property. Sorry can’t ask them to move on. Shit or piss in public? Sorry ma’am we can’t do anything about it. Maybe we can refer you to a power washing company. Stranger in your house? Better not shoot them! Cities and counties busing homeless people to other cities and counties? Better not admit it or Gavin newsome will deny state money to “help solve the homeless problem!” Vagrancy laws? What are those? It’s endless. 

All of these policies are lib policies. Even if you live in a conservative spot if you don’t eat the bag of dicks Sacramento demands you won’t get money to deal with all of the drug addicted people that have been bused to your city by the big cities. Lib policies have handcuffed police and they can’t do shit about anything. I think this is the lib economic model of trickle up poverty. 

100% correct

Le Shat
©

29 days ago
1/1/01
Bick Koxer - 
jacktripper -
Bick Koxer -

Beauty and access to nature and the outdoors mostly. world class restaurants if you can afford them.  Diverse culture. Unique neighborhoods. Always something happening at night somewhere in town if you like partying

How many people from SF have you met personally and what did you dislike about them? One of the best things about the city is that there are so many different kinds of people.  Small minded and sad to write off a city based on shit you hear on the OG and Hannity.

I will certainly give you that the food/restaurants are awesome but of course spendy. You can get diverse culture anywhere is you don't close yourself off. You can find night life anywhere but SF is pretty quiet for a big city during the week

Been her a total of 27 years including college years so I have met countless. I dislike the vile hatred and racism of people who think they are actually enlightened. Again different people and cultures are everywhere in the US, yes some more than others but you can find it anywhere. and my views of this shithole have nothing to do with Hannity who I do not like.

The city is overrated without question and almsot all outsiders I speak to who visit say they will never again come

11/9/10

This is what happens when you make it so no one can build reasonably priced housing for decades. And it’s a big problem across the entire Bay Area. 

29 days ago
6/13/03
VinegarStrokes -

This is what happens when you make it so no one can build reasonably priced housing for decades. And it’s a big problem across the entire Bay Area. 

10/2/12
VinegarStrokes -

The excuse you’re trying to make about expense is stupid. People who can’t afford certain areas then make simple decisions like moving to a more affordable area. Making the life choice to do drugs instead of move to a more affordable area is on them not everyone else. But we all know affordability isnt the real problem. When those people are bused to more affordable cities they don’t magically get homes and quit drugs. They just keep beating the same dead horse. Horse!!!! Get it? 

29 days ago
1/1/01
VinegarStrokes - 

EXACTLY!

Now, school these fools on how a lack of affordale housing leads directly to Schizophrenia & Drug addiction.

Go ahead, you tell 'em!

... Go on.

29 days ago
1/18/12

The nicer we are to junkies. The more people end up as junkies.    

At this point, you'd have to be on meth to disagree.