OtherGround Forums Saudi Arabia getting medieval with Canada..

11 days ago
1/13/04
Old Stock Canadian
18 mins ·
The Financial Times reports that Saudi Arabia is selling Canadian assets as the kingdom escalates its response to Ottawa’s criticism of the arrest of a female activist.
The Saudi central bank and state pension funds have instructed their overseas asset managers to dispose of their Canadian equities, bonds and cash holdings “no matter the cost”, two people with direct knowledge of the orders said.
Third-party managers are estimated to be mandated to invest more than $100bn of Saudi funds in global markets, executives say. While the proportion of that figure invested in Canadian holdings would be “fairly small in absolute terms,” the asset sale sent a strong message, one of the people said.
The sell-off began on Tuesday and underlines how the Gulf monarchy is flexing its financial and political muscle to warn foreign powers against what it regards as interference in its sovereign affairs. “This is severe stuff,” said one banker.
Thus far, Saudi Arabia has begun a sell-off of Canadian holdings; expelled the country’s ambassador; frozen new trade and investment with Ottawa; suspended a student exchange programme to Canada; halted Saudi Arabian Airlines flights to the North American country, and; ended all medical treatment programmes in Canada
The row between Riyadh and Ottawa erupted after Chrystia Freeland, Canada’s foreign minister, called for the release of Samar Badawi, a prominent Saudi women’s rights activist who has family in Canada. Ms Badawi and another activist were arrested last week as part of a government crackdown against dissenting voices, human rights groups said.
In response to Ms Freeland’s criticism, Saudi Arabia expelled the Canadian ambassador, froze new trade and investment with the G7 member, suspended a student exchange programme and halted flights by state-owned Saudi Arabian Airlines to Canada. Riyadh on Wednesday said it was also suspending all medical treatment programmes in Canada and working to transfer Saudi patients out of the country.
The kingdom’s actions carry echoes of the measures Saudi Arabia and its regional allies have taken against Qatar since imposing a regional blockade on the Gulf state a year ago.
The Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority, the central bank, had foreign assets of $506bn in July, most of which are invested in US Treasuries. Pension funds such as the General Organisation for Social Insurance and the Public Pension Agency manage additional assets.
The Public Investment Fund, the Saudi sovereign wealth fund, also has $250bn of assets under management, including stakes in global companies such as Tesla and Uber, as well as local assets.
Furthermore, Eastern Canadian refineries import about 75,000 to 80,000 barrels per day of Saudi Arabian crude, said Judith Dwarkin, chief economist with RS Energy Group in Calgary, on Tuesday.
And soon Eastern Canada will have to buy their oil from the West. Talk about KARMA.
11 days ago
1/13/04
Some back story on how things ended up where we are at now..

Old Stock Canadian
47 mins ·
The Toronto Sun reports that it’s been a decade since Raif Badawi was first briefly detained in 2008 in Saudi Arabia on nonsense charges of apostasy and insulting Islam … all because he blogged his liberal opinions online.
The charges were clearly meant as a warning to tell this then twenty-something to keep quiet. But he didn’t listen.
So several years later, in 2012, when he was arrested again on similar charges they opted to keep him locked up. And that’s where he’s been ever since. Over the past six years, Badawi has appeared before multiple courts and was sentenced to 10 years in prison as well as 1,000 lashes (he received 50).
Soon after, Badawi’s wife Ensaf Haidar made her way to Canada, where she has been a prominent voice not just in her husband’s case but in supporting freedom of expression and opposing extremism wherever she finds it.
This is the background to the flare-up in Canada-Saudi Arabia relations that’s been unfolding the past few days.
Raif’s sister Samar Badawi is also a human rights activist, having spoken out against regressive Saudi policies such as the male guardianship system and the prohibition of female drivers. Like her brother, Samar had been arrested before and her latest one came last week on July 31.
It’s this development that pushed us to where we’re at now, with Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland posting to social media last week: “Very alarmed to learn that Samar Badawi, Raif Badawi’s sister, has been imprisoned in Saudi Arabia. Canada stands together with the Badawi family in this difficult time, and we continue to strongly call for the release of both Raif and Samar Badawi.”
Freeland’s already made it clear there will be no apology and the occasional criticism will keep coming.
To that end, we are asking a rhetorical question for we know the why and who is to blame. Obviously Ensaf Haidar came to Canada AFTER her husband was locked up in 2012 being she has three children with him. And now she’s an activist here telling Canadians what they should do. Should she not be working to support her kids? In other words, who is supporting her? Just another rhetorical question.
We are growing tired of these foreigners using our system against us to fight their battles abroad. And now it is going to cost us dearly. So if you agree, let us know. #FireFreeland
11 days ago
4/22/07

Trudeau will go fellate a prince and make nice nice

11 days ago
5/19/06
Funny, they wanna flex their muscles, but still buy all their shit from us, any little criticism on human rights, the fuckers get all sandpeople and go all mental...

Kinda shows you the mentality of our suppose Allie,
11 days ago
1/13/04
ShanTheMan - 

Trudeau will go fellate a prince and make nice nice

Actually he is reaching out to other countries and it looks like there is not many takers to support him..

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/08/08/canada-other-countries-saudi-arabia_a_23498390/

Canada Reaching Out To Other Countries To Help Defuse Saudi Dispute
The key is to work with allies and friends in the region to cool things down, which can happen quickly," a source said.

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada plans to seek help from the United Arab Emirates and Britain to defuse an escalating dispute with Saudi Arabia, sources said on Tuesday, but close ally the United States made clear it would not get involved.
The Saudi government on Sunday recalled its ambassador to Ottawa, barred Canada's envoy from returning and placed a ban on new trade, denouncing Canada for urging the release of jailed rights activists. Riyadh accused Ottawa on Tuesday of interfering in its internal affairs.

ne well placed source said the Liberal government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau — which stresses the importance of human rights — planned to reach out to the United Arab Emirates.
"The key is to work with allies and friends in the region to cool things down, which can happen quickly," said the source, who declined to be identified because of the sensitivity of the situation.
Another source said Canada would also seek help from Britain. The British government on Tuesday urged the two nations to show restraint.
The United States, traditionally one of Canada's most important friends, stayed on the sidelines. U.S. President Donald Trump — who criticized Trudeau after a Group of Seven summit in June — has forged tighter ties with Riyadh.
"Both sides need to diplomatically resolve this together. We can't do it for them; they need to resolve it together," U.S. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told a briefing.
Damaging to modest bilateral trade
The first Canadian source said Ottawa shared the view of foreign policy experts who believe the Saudi reaction reflected internal strains inside the kingdom, where 32-year-old Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is trying to push through domestic reforms.
The office of Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland did not respond to requests for comment.
The dispute looks set to damage what is a modest bilateral trade relationship worth nearly $4 billion a year. Canadian exports to Saudi Arabia totaled about $1.12 billion in 2017, or 0.2 percent of the total value of Canadian exports.
Canada says it does not know what will happen to a $13 billion defense contract to sell Canadian-made General Dynamics Corp armored vehicles to Saudi Arabia.
European traders said the main Saudi wheat-buying agency had told grains exporters it will no longer accept Canadian-origin wheat and barley.

Saudi Arabia has also ordered roughly 15,000 Saudis studying in Canada to leave.
Canada's previous Conservative government, which lost power to the Liberals in 2015, also had challenges with Riyadh over human rights.
Thomas Juneau, an assistant professor and Middle East expert at the University of Ottawa, saidSaudi irritation at the way the General Dynamics contract was handled also helped explain Riyadh's response.
The deal was agreed in 2014 by the Conservatives, who shared the Saudi desire for deeper relations, he said. But the task of approving the export permits fell to the Liberals, who were lobbied by human rights activists to say no.
More from HuffPost Canada:

Bernie Sanders Calls Saudi Arabia's Response To Canada 'Outrageous'
Saudi Arabia's Outrage Over Canadian Criticism Reveals New Global Dilemma
Students Scramble For Info After Saudi Arabia Pulls Canadian University Scholarships
The Liberals granted the permits but showed little interest in deepening ties with Riyadh amid growing civil society and media attacks on the agreement, Juneau added.
"That for Saudi Arabia was the source of growing frustration," he said in a phone interview. "(The ambassador) was very clear in saying he was irritated by what he saw as passivity by the Canadian government, which in his view was not resisting that criticism."
The first Canadian source said Ottawa had no regrets about speaking out on human rights inSaudi Arabia. Canada's ambassador, Dennis Horak, is not in Riyadh. The source said Saudi authorities were aware Horak was due to start a new posting next month.

11 days ago
3/16/15

11 days ago
1/13/04
Dire - Funny, they wanna flex their muscles, but still buy all their shit from us, any little criticism on human rights, the fuckers get all sandpeople and go all mental...

Kinda shows you the mentality of our suppose Allie,

Read the second post. The Saudi's already dealt with the parties involved in 2008 and gave them a slap on the wrist..
11 days ago
1/1/01

Pull all US troops from Yemen now

Let the Saudis fight their own wars

11 days ago
10/16/10
Bye Abdullah!
11 days ago
12/9/14

with the US backing the saudis here and isis, i would hope Justin uses this as an opportunity to cozy up to muh Russia

11 days ago
3/1/10

Saudi is a prehistoric shithole, so....

11 days ago
1/1/01

11 days ago
4/21/14

The issue is not about the activists actually, it about Canada's PM "ordering" the Saudi government to release them.

No way Saudis will allow Canada to interfere with an internal matter that they has no business in from the first place.

11 days ago
3/13/17
Fuck Saudi Arabia.

I would love to see US support Canada by retaliatory sanctions. But we know Trump sucks that Saudi cock like no other.

I don't get the American love affair with KSA... They did 9/11!!! Jesus fkn christ ...
11 days ago
1/1/01
ttt
Edited: 11 days ago
10/13/02
Pedro Navaja - Fuck Saudi Arabia.

I would love to see US support Canada by retaliatory sanctions. But we know Trump sucks that Saudi cock like no other.

I don't get the American love affair with KSA... They did 9/11!!! Jesus fkn christ ...

The Saudis have us by the balls! That’s why no matter Democrat, republican etc administration we take their shit. Obama, Hillary were same as Trump/Bush. The Saudis have been brilliant what they did with their wealth/oil reserves. We would lose out in a pissing match. This thing is 19 layers deep and very complex. I have more to say on this but too much to type, come over smoke a cigar with me and I’ll tell you all about it.

11 days ago
1/13/04
Slydawg - 

The Saudis have us by the balls! That’s why no matter Democrat, republican etc administration we take their shit. Obama, Hillary were same as Trump/Bush. The Saudis have been brilliant what they did with their wealth/oil reserves. We would lose out in a pissing match. This thing is 19 layers deep and very complex. I have more to say on this but too much to type, come over smoke a cigar with me and I’ll tell you all about it.

If that was the case, you would assume that the Canadian libs would know this and not try to force / enquire their leftist points of views to countries who are far from these video's in order to score some additional liberal votes for the upcoming 2019 federal elections..
11 days ago
3/13/17
Graduate1 - 
Slydawg - 

If that was the case, you would assume that the Canadian libs would know this and not try to force / enquire their leftist points of views to countries who are far from these video's in order to score some additional liberal votes for the upcoming 2019 federal elections..

I'd rather Canada have a backbone, and call out Saudi Arabia.. Than bow and kiss the ring.

How many of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudi? You cocksucking trumptards should be the most anti-Saudi-Arabia country in the world. Instead, because Trudeau represents Canada, and Trump hates Trudeau, you fools jump on the Saudi dick just like Trump.

Pathetic and spineless. That's not to say Trudeau isn't a hypocrite also, but at least they are speaking up for innocent people being jailed.

USA and Canada should be arm in arm against KSA.
Edited: 11 days ago
10/13/02
Pedro Navaja - 
Graduate1 - 
Slydawg - 

I'd rather Canada have a backbone, and call out Saudi Arabia.. Than bow and kiss the ring.

How many of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudi? You cocksucking trumptards should be the most anti-Saudi-Arabia country in the world. Instead, because Trudeau represents Canada, and Trump hates Trudeau, you fools jump on the Saudi dick just like Trump.

Pathetic and spineless. That's not to say Trudeau isn't a hypocrite also, but at least they are speaking up for innocent people being jailed.

Whoa brother!!! I'm the most anti-Saudi person on this forum and dont forget that. I have posted about what those terrible Saudis have done many times. I'm from the middle east, we all hate the Saudis. I was just giving an answer to the question. Pedro, I'm not one of your haters. I never even talk bad about you. My opinions of the Saudis are nothing to do with Trump. Trump promised to be tough on them and he wasn't. 

11 days ago
4/21/14
Pedro Navaja -
Graduate1 - 
Slydawg - 

So if a few Saudi people did the 9/11 we should blame the whole country for it? Even though they ran to afghanistan after they did it! And all the investigation the USA did has pointed the Saudi government had nothing to do with it!

Its like blaming the whole US for the stuff Bush did in Iraq.

11 days ago
1/1/01

Meanwhile the Saudis crucified a man in Mecca

https://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-arabia-crucified-man-in-mecca-while-calling-out-canada-human-rights-2018-8?IR=T&utm_content=buffer8a14f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-insider-main

11 days ago
10/16/10
The Saudis export Wahhabism all over the West. Fuck them. You don't negotiate with terrorists.

I hate Trudeau but I hope he tells those cavemen to kiss his tranny ass.
11 days ago
5/10/08
Stache - The Saudis export Wahhabism all over the West. Fuck them. You don't negotiate with terrorists.

I hate Trudeau but I hope he tells those cavemen to kiss his tranny ass.

11 days ago
4/21/14
jimmy23 -

Meanwhile the Saudis crucified a man in Mecca

https://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-arabia-crucified-man-in-mecca-while-calling-out-canada-human-rights-2018-8?IR=T&utm_content=buffer8a14f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-insider-main

WTF is this shit... They aren't Christian to use the Cross.

That the issue with American media.. they have no credibility.

11 days ago
8/20/03

Alrighty, Trudeau can win some points here by telling the SA to go f*ck a goat.

...and I am by far the least fan of Jessy Trudeau there may be...so here is his chance to do something right.