OtherGround Forums Saved a kid from drowning today at String Lake in

8/21/19 12:04 AM
4/24/17

What a day.

I saw a kid flailing in the water ar String Lake in the Grand Tetons. At first I thought he was just screwing around but he started doing that thing where they throw their heads back trying to stay afloat. 

I told my kids to get to shore then dove in and swam out to him and drug him in.  Poor kid was pretty shook up. He fell off of his float. Who the fuck puts their kid on a float in a lake when they cant swim? 

The mother/guardian came over and thanked me profusely  and then after a while she put him in a different float!!! They left shortly after that though.

Man there were a bunch of people standing around but none moved to help the boy. It was surreal. He was on his way down when I got to him. 

8/21/19 12:07 AM
7/4/16

Any plans to bang the mom ?

8/21/19 12:07 AM
6/27/18

That person is alive today because of you. That's something positive you can carry with you for the rest of your life.

Try to remember this day when things are hard or dark. Don't let it pass without meaning. It has meaning.

8/21/19 12:12 AM
3/4/03

Great job!

8/21/19 12:16 AM
4/24/17
TequilaYuen -

That person is alive today because of you. That's something positive you can carry with you for the rest of your life.

Try to remember this day when things are hard or dark. Don't let it pass without meaning. It has meaning.

It was definitely a good feeling.

He came over and thanked me himself as they left and I got his name. I told him I will be looking for him to do something big someday. Seemed like a good kid. He was only like 11 or 12 I imagine. 

8/21/19 12:16 AM
4/24/17
The_Rapist_/_Therapist -

No

8/21/19 12:22 AM
2/5/06
Awesome Job!
8/21/19 12:32 AM
1/30/15
Awesome.
8/21/19 12:47 AM
11/9/17

And his parents were? Thankfully you were there and acted like a decent human being and saved his life. That's some good karma for sure! God job! 

8/21/19 12:53 AM
1/2/06

Excellent work. 

Edited: 8/21/19 1:01 AM
3/16/11

My brother saved my life when I was 9'ish. Parents were 15 feet away and may or may not have noticed in time, but I distinctly remember the feeling of dunking down before he grabbed me, lifted me up and swam me to the edge of the pool. Took a big lung gulp of water, but he grabbed me right after. Absolutely terrifying. I've had nightmares almost monthly since, but they dont really bug me anymore.

Great work OP. 

8/21/19 1:06 AM
4/24/17
PelosiesPanties -

And his parents were? Thankfully you were there and acted like a decent human being and saved his life. That's some good karma for sure! God job! 

Thanks. I'm not sure what the situation was with the group.  The parent or guardian  was an older white lady. Probably late 40s early 50s if I were to guess.She came over and gave me "prayer hands" and thanked me. I didnt see a dad at all.

She had 5 kids of varying ages with her.  I have no idea where she was during all of this and only saw her when we got back to shore. Even then it wasnt immediate. 

The kids were of Mexican descent if I were to guess. The boy I helped was named Jesus. 

8/21/19 1:17 AM
4/24/17
Pilgor the goat -

My brother saved my life when I was 9'ish. Parents were 15 feet away and may or may not have noticed in time, but I distinctly remember the feeling of dunking down before he grabbed me, lifted me up and swam me to the edge of the pool. Took a big lung gulp of water, but he grabbed me right after. Absolutely terrifying. I've had nightmares almost monthly since, but they dont really bug me anymore.

Great work OP. 

Yeah this kid was shook up for a few minutes when we got in. I felt bad for him. That's got to be a terrifying feeling. Like I said I thought he was screwing around at first so he was in trouble for a while before I even acted (atleast a minute). Then he was a good ways out so I had to swim all the way out to him. 

By the time I got to him the poor guy was spent. That's the worst part. He was so done he was going under. Thats got to be a bad feeling. He was completely chill once I got him. I was worried he was going to freak out but it went well.

8/21/19 1:29 AM
6/30/09

Good stuff man! Way to be a hero!

Edited: 8/21/19 1:41 AM
5/14/10
Glad you were there for him and brave enough to do what had to be done. Most people would not jump into action, IMO. They would hesitate, wondering if it was a joke or what was going on while the kid drown. I'm sure while you were pulling him out there were people standing around doing just that. One day that kid will have his own children and will be telling his kids about the choice you made today. Sincerely, cool story bro.
8/21/19 1:46 AM
7/4/16

You saved Jesus ?

Way to bury the lead.

Thread needs to be retitled

Edited: 8/21/19 6:24 AM
5/31/07
Had a nephew in law or whatever take a step into the pool right in front me at a hotel years back. He sank like a damn rock. I grabbed him and lifted him back onto the side until my wife came and watched him. I couldn't believe how fast he sank, literally like a rock dropping in
8/21/19 6:36 AM
3/25/19

Good work op. I hope you walk with your head held high. So much bad shit is all you ever hear about. You did something good today. 

8/21/19 7:05 AM
3/23/08

Well done man!! As a former lifeguard I can tell you that watching someone “climb the ladder” in the water is fucking scary, and I was always shocked at how many just watched and didn’t act.

You did a great job and have a fight not flight reflex!

8/21/19 7:21 AM
2/23/12

A guy dragged me out of one of those wave pools when I was too small to be in it, my dad told my older brother to keep an eye on me but he immediately put me on the pay no mind list. I was getting thrown around and every time I came up for air another wave came down. He took me over to a lifeguard and I didn’t see him after that. He was a guardian angel in Hawaiian trunks

Edited: 8/21/19 8:27 AM
1/1/01
TequilaYuen - 

But what if that kid grows up to be the next Hitler?

j/k props to him

8/21/19 8:23 AM
1/1/01
TequilaYuen -

This.  Awesome!!

8/21/19 8:42 AM
10/5/04

was the float he was in nearby?

8/21/19 8:43 AM
8/1/13
TequilaYuen -

This

8/21/19 8:45 AM
12/29/09
tabularossa - 
The_Rapist_/_Therapist -

No

Any plans to help me bang the mom?

Jk. Good job, dude.