6 days ago
1/1/01

School apologizes after boy with autism given ‘most annoying’ award

POSTED 10:01 PM, JUNE 3, 2019, BY TRIBUNE MEDIA WIRE SERVICE

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

GARY, Ind. — An Indiana father says he was “blindsided” after a teacher gave his 11-year-old son, who has autism, an award for “most annoying male.”

“We just weren’t expecting it,” dad Rick Castejon told the The Times of Northwest Indiana. “As a principal or teacher, you should never let this happen to any student.”

Castejon said a special education teacher at Bailly Preparatory Academy in Gary handed out the awards in May during an annual end-of-year ceremony and luncheon for fifth-graders.

The Times reported that the parents attending the event at a Golden Corral restaurant became silent as the boy received the trophy.

Castejon told the paper he tried to leave the engraved trophy on a table, but the unidentified female teacher reminded him not to forget it, and acted like it was all in fun.

He said his son is non-verbal, sometimes rocks back and forth and is prone to becoming emotional. Castejon says he now sees the school’s calls during the academic year, asking how to handle his son, in a different light.

Castejon and his family are moving before the next school year begins, but he told The Times he’s speaking up so other families don’t go through a similar experience in Gary.

Peter Morikis, an emergency manager with the Gary Community School Corp., told The Times in a statement that they don’t condone the behavior and “extend our deepest apologies to the impacted student, the family and anyone else who takes offense to this unfortunate occurrence.

“Just because they have special needs doesn’t mean they don’t have feelings,” Castejon said.

The Times is considering filing a Freedom of Information Act request to find out what disciplinary measures are taken against the teacher.

6 days ago
7/14/17

So did they give out superlative awards to everyone in the school? And this handicapped kid got this award? Because that's fucked up.

Or, was the special ed class doing superlative awards within the special ed class (trying to allow the special Ed children to experience the same fun as everyone else), and this was the one he got. Because that's different. 

6 days ago
1/1/01

I was definitly in classes where at the end of the year everybody got an award like that. But never was that award given and you certainly don’t give that to a handicapped child.

6 days ago
5/29/18
BrowBeaten -

So did they give out superlative awards to everyone in the school? And this handicapped kid got this award? Because that's fucked up.

Or, was the special ed class doing superlative awards within the special ed class (trying to allow the special Ed children to experience the same fun as everyone else), and this was the one he got. Because that's different. 

I feel like anyway you look at it, giving a handicapped kid, or any kid for that matter, that award is just fucked up IMO. High school senior yearbook deal is a whole nother story. This kid was 11

5 days ago
1/1/01

TtT 

5 days ago
7/12/15

In the schools defense, autistic kids are really annoying.

5 days ago
11/16/17

The OG highschool

5 days ago
4/24/07

The kid who was late to class the most got "Most Tardy". 

5 days ago
2/8/07
MrShush -

Fuck off

5 days ago
1/1/01

I would have had my wife take the boy home and once they were gone I would have lit into the faculty for this shit... You don’t do that to normal kids, let alone those with handicaps.

5 days ago
1/1/01
David@accu -

Not sure if this is a joke, but either way it’s hardly comparable.

5 days ago
12/17/06

Parents should get a few free palm strikes to the teacher.

5 days ago
12/2/05
amadeus - 
David@accu -

Right over your head. And you made the same joke in the other thread Dave!
5 days ago
12/10/09

That is MESSED UP that they made the kids eat at Golden Corral. That place is shit.

Edited: 5 days ago
12/2/05
TheMorg826 - 
MrShush -

Fuck off

They definitely can be. And a lot of parents use it as an excuse to do nothing about it.

That said this case sounds awful and it says the kid is non verbal so he's pretty messed up.
5 days ago
7/31/09
amadeus -
David@accu -

Well the retard could have gotten the most "tardy"

5 days ago
12/10/09
Fake Pie -
amadeus - 
David@accu -

Right over your head. And you made the same joke in the other thread Dave!

lol

5 days ago
5/3/03

I would have lost my shit. I’m super protective of my kids because my parents could give a shit.

I would have made their afternoon real annoying . 

5 days ago
11/16/17
David@accu -

Lol.

Student who could stare at the wall the longest

5 days ago
7/22/09
MrShush -

In the autistic kids defense, fuck your mother.

5 days ago
9/23/07
Nice to see scientific realism being taught in schools.
5 days ago
5/3/03

One of my best buddies has a severely autistic son and it’s so hard on him and his entire family . The amount of care and resources that go into caring for his son is intense. He can’t speak more than a few words and has constant outbursts . My buddy can’t do the the normal father son things and it tears him apart. His second marriage is in peril .

When this little boy comes over we do what we can to make him comfortable but it’s hard. 

I can’t buy him a birthday gift because he’s not really into anything . 

I don’t find anything annoying about him

5 days ago
8/12/16
rustyshakleford -

I would have lost my shit. I’m super protective of my kids because my parents could give a shit.

I would have made their afternoon real annoying . 

"  I would have made their afternoon real annoying . "

Ah, gunning for the prize in 2020 already eh?  This man is a type-A personality.

5 days ago
8/8/18

You could argue they were just treating him like everyone else. I wonder how many non-autistic kids got that award the previous years? 

5 days ago
9/13/06

I’ll bet dimes to dollars that the teacher in question was wearing pants with an elastic waist, and not the hot mumble pants type.