OtherGround Forums Shoplifting out of control in California

7/17/19 12:19 PM
1/1/01

Small business owners in San Diego County are sounding an alarm over thousands of dollars in losses to shoplifters. The problem is that those shoplifters don't appear to be facing any consequences.

A 7-Eleven franchise owner told NBC 7 every single day shoplifters come in and take what they want if they keep it under a certain amount.

The owner hopes the city will step in to do something because right now they claim police have their hands tied.

"It’s happening every day, hour by hour,” said 7-Eleven Franchise Owner, Jassi Dhillon.

At every one of his six locations, he said snacks fly off the shelves, but are often not paid for.

“It’s unbearable. It’s out of control. You will have the same guy coming in five times a day, picking things out," said Dhillon.

He said it feels it's no longer a priority for police because it’s now considered petty theft.

Under Prop 47, which passed in 2014, anything stolen below a $950 value keeps the crime as a misdemeanor.

"It's becoming a lifestyle for us now because we can’t do anything much except take the loss you know," said Dhillon.

He showed NBC 7 several surveillance videos from his cameras recording people shoplifting.

El Cajon Mayor Bill Wells is aware it's become a major problem for small business owners, now that a group of 7-Eleven store owners are speaking up.

The group said that by the time officers arrive, the shoplifter has left or is not concerned about the ticket they get.

"Usually ends up in the trashcan and it’s just the lawlessness really that the city doesn't prescribe to," said Wells.

Dhillon said he loses between $15,000 and $20,000 a quarter at every location. He hopes law enforcement does more in the future to help curb the growing problem.

"For them, these are small crimes, but this is how the crimes grow. This is where they start. This is where they move onto bigger ones. Please don't wait for something bad to happen," said Dhillon.

7/17/19 12:23 PM
6/15/19
get ready for more of this as enforcing the law is increasingly seen as "RACIST!!!!"
7/17/19 12:27 PM
12/22/10

Those are reparations, dummy. 

7/17/19 12:30 PM
3/21/12
The scumbag element of the population will always be with us, if they weren't shoplifting they'd be lifting amazon packages from porches.
7/17/19 12:32 PM
1/12/10

Holy shit. They won’t enforce under $950?!?! 

It seems like you could make a living out of shoplifting and reselling and if you get caught, chances are the fines are smaller than what you boosted. And they wonder why crime is higher. 

7/17/19 12:36 PM
4/3/08

Cops won’t stop it and you can’t defend your property there either. Spreading the wealth by design, you fascist dogs. 

Edited: 7/17/19 12:41 PM
11/14/11
chad_mcjangle - get ready for more of this as enforcing the law is increasingly seen as "RACIST!!!!"

really has nothing to do with race, but the overloaded courts and the 6A.

7/17/19 12:42 PM
2/2/08
Business owners should be allowed to taze or mace shoplifters
7/17/19 12:49 PM
12/6/14
forumnewb - Business owners should be allowed to taze or mace shoplifters

Should be allowed to shoot them in the chest.

7/17/19 12:55 PM
1/5/11

California? Hmmm.... Must be those fucking law-abiding American citizens again.

7/17/19 1:03 PM
2/15/06
I have a friend that works at the mall and many of the stores get hit by shoplifters. She tells me that Victoria's Secret at her mall has policies that make them a target. They don't ask for a receipt when you return things. So people come in on Monday and steal stuff and then come back the next day and "return" the items for a refund.

It's like their policies are encouraging shoplifters.
7/17/19 1:05 PM
5/18/01
Definitely don't follow them around the store. That's racist.
7/17/19 1:06 PM
2/15/06
forumnewb - Business owners should be allowed to taze or mace shoplifters

They basically can't even accuse them or they could be sued. It really is crazy right now.

Shop owners just pass the losses on to insurance and raise prices the rest of us have to pay.

I saw one store with a huge tractor-trailer out back that had it wide open right next to the road. You could drive by and look inside and see a trailer half-full with Amazon Prime products. Nobody around, no doors close and no locks in place. Just pull up and load up your car. They don't care because they have insurance.
7/17/19 1:11 PM
12/17/06

Ridiculous. Thieves are scum and should be harmed when caught.

7/17/19 1:16 PM
8/23/05

I know several loss prevention folks that have fucking lost their jobs STOPPING THE SHOPLIFTERS!!!!

7/17/19 1:20 PM
7/31/09

Imo if you steal a 1 dollar candy bar you should be arrested.  Fuckin leftists will tell you everyone that steals is stealing diapers and baby formula. 

And they wonder why businesses aren't crazy about operating in poor neighborhoods. 

7/17/19 1:22 PM
10/15/13
vincan469 -
chad_mcjangle - get ready for more of this as enforcing the law is increasingly seen as "RACIST!!!!"

really has nothing to do with race, but the overloaded courts and the 6A.

So, how about they....

Image result for stop breaking the law gif

7/17/19 1:24 PM
1/12/10
BillyRayChubbs -

I know several loss prevention folks that have fucking lost their jobs STOPPING THE SHOPLIFTERS!!!!

My wife works at Targeg and they basically get away with it for a period of time. They won’t even question you until it gets to grand larceny. 

The worst shoplifters? White teen girls stealing clothes and make up. Then they try and return it saying their grandma bought it for them. Bitch, you Nana ain’t buying you a $50 eye shadow palette. My sister is 19 and works as a server three days a week and always has new clothes and make up......She’s a fuckin’ thief and I call her out all the time. 

7/17/19 1:25 PM
6/13/03

Prop 47 voters

7/17/19 1:33 PM
1/1/01

How about dine and dash?  If that's under $950 are police going to bother?  What if the fine is less than the cost of the meal? 

7/17/19 1:36 PM
6/13/03
Trust -

How about dine and dash?  If that's under $950 are police going to bother?  What if the fine is less than the cost of the meal? 

They wont bother in many cases. It depends on the area. Places like LA and SF, forget about it. 

7/17/19 1:37 PM
10/15/13
StrikingMMA - I have a friend that works at the mall and many of the stores get hit by shoplifters. She tells me that Victoria's Secret at her mall has policies that make them a target. They don't ask for a receipt when you return things. So people come in on Monday and steal stuff and then come back the next day and "return" the items for a refund.

It's like their policies are encouraging shoplifters.

No receipt? Thats fucking retarded.

YEARS ago i went into a store that sold bedding, towels and similar stuff. Walking to the store, I got stuck behind a woman who was walking at that annoying not alow enough to pass her, but fast enough to annoy me (i am tall and have a long stride). So i couldn't help but check her out. She was carrying nothing i noticed....strange. Not even a pocketbook??

Anyway, i get what i gotta get and go to the line. She is front of me now, and holding a big Comforter set. The expensive ones. Its very quet in the store and i hear everything.

"Im here to return this" says the lady.

"Oh okay" responds the clerk, "Do you have your recipt?"

"No, i forgot my pocketbook at home (Ahh-AHH!). I bought this a while ago, but my Husband is in the hospital, he got hurt when the Towers came down (Ahhh, nice touch).

"Oh my god, im so sorry! Lets go ahead and take care of this for you"

Fuck that shit i said. Stepped out off the line, found the Manager and called out that womans bullshit. "She picked up that set and brought it right to the counter, she came in with nothing" I told her. The Manager looked scared as if she didn't know what to do.

So she goes up to the woman and immediately the yelling and screaming starts. I stepped up and called her out right there. She starts cursing me out and runs for the door. Husband is waiting outside, car running.  I follow her outside and she's screaming at him "We gotta go!" He looks at me and im like "Get the fuck out of here man", and he takes off.

I barely got a thank you from the Manager. I stil had to wait in line, and didn't even get offered a discount. So as im leaving i tell the Manager "perhaps instead of all 5 of you standing behind the counter bullshitting, some of you can be on the floor wathing folks. They probably cased this place and saw you all don't watch anyone"

Yeah, im pretty badass.

7/17/19 1:38 PM
9/25/09

I used to work at a pretty big Gap store up in Hartford Ct.  Before this big store renovation and training protocol we would lose about 62 pieces of merch a day, from socks and tee shirts to jeans and dresses and jackets etc.  so corporate comes in and does this massive retraining.  We double the workforce of people on the floor which is expensive HOWEVER replenishment was improved, workers in every corner of the store, helping customers and upselling etc.  the store sales went up about 35% and our loss prevention numbers plummeted.  Win win.  

However the policy was to take it back and issue a refund.  So a group of thieves would go run in a store, take a pile of denim from a front table 45-65 bucks a pair (back then) and then walk in and return it to our store.  At $4,000 dollars a person can be “divorced” from the gap which means the company wouldn’t issue any checks to them but then they’d just bring in some other person to use their license to get a check issued.  Super frustrating because you’d see the same guy or women come in to “coach” their new partner in how to return the merchandise and get a check issued.

Edited: 7/17/19 1:54 PM
4/27/18
choadler -

California? Hmmm.... Must be those fucking law-abiding American citizens again.

In Dallas the DA (black lady I think) said they won't prosecute theft under 750 bucks

Due to .... Wait for it.... Racism

Retail stores lose more money in theft than they make in profits (actual stats)

With the new law prices will rise and places will.go out of business, particularly in low income areas

Which of course those companies will be called, anyone? Anyone?

Racist

7/17/19 1:59 PM
12/10/09
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

Holy shit. They won’t enforce under $950?!?! 

It seems like you could make a living out of shoplifting and reselling and if you get caught, chances are the fines are smaller than what you boosted. And they wonder why crime is higher. 

Of course. This is why drug addicts love California