OtherGround Forums Skeptic James Randi's $1M challenge was BS

6/12/19 5:43 PM
8/31/18

Who was the one psychic that looked and sounded like a gay Don Frye.  Thought it was Edwards but I am mistaken

6/12/19 6:14 PM
6/26/06
CobraKaiRep - 

Who was the one psychic that looked and sounded like a gay Don Frye.  Thought it was Edwards but I am mistaken

james van praagh
6/12/19 6:56 PM
4/27/14

Randi certainly got fooled himself by Deyvi Pena.

6/12/19 7:25 PM
8/31/18
RenatoCocopreta -
CobraKaiRep - 

james van praagh

That's him!

6/15/19 10:15 AM
1/1/01

Mr. Randi is simply following the great Harry Houdini. You could set up any rules/contest and it wouldn't matter. A person who proclaims "special powers" or psychic abilities is mentally ill.

6/15/19 10:52 AM
8/20/15
jasperb -
RenatoCocopreta -
Robert Thomas - 
RenatoCocopreta - If you're dumb enough to believe that you're standing upside down on a spinning ball of water hurtling through the universe, you'll believe literally anything.

Prove it.

Please post your sub-retard SAT scores.

You are the one claiming the earth is flat, I think the burden of proof would fall on you. 

Exactly, but he isn't smart enough to know that.

6/15/19 10:53 AM
8/20/15
jasperb -
RenatoCocopreta -
Robert Thomas - 
RenatoCocopreta - If you're dumb enough to believe that you're standing upside down on a spinning ball of water hurtling through the universe, you'll believe literally anything.

Prove it.

You are the one claiming the earth is flat, I think the burden of proof would fall on you. 

He is easily offended as well. I never insulted him. I only asked him to prove his statement. Apparently that was just too much for him.

6/15/19 11:21 AM
6/26/06
Robert Thomas - 
jasperb -
RenatoCocopreta -
Robert Thomas - 

Prove it.

He is easily offended as well. I never insulted him. I only asked him to prove his statement. Apparently that was just too much for him.

You asked for proof of my claim that you're dumb as a retard and I provided you with the evidence you demanded, no one was offended except maybe some retards from the ug.
6/15/19 2:59 PM
3/14/04
Mind One Two - 
angryinch - 
Mind One Two - angryinch you are 100% right about magicians and scientists.

but there is more to the testing (and scientific research) than magicians.

what about, for example, sheldrake's research that seems to show some sixth sense in dogs? is randi the guy to set that up? maybe to consult for tricks like dog whistles like you said about consulting, but no, he's not the guy.

Interesting you bring that up with me. I'm a certified dog trainer. Never seen anything resembling esp in dogs despite having worked with thousands of them.

That's a nice anecdote but in particular the strongest effects Sheldrake found revolved around a dog's connection to its human family.

You know the old stories about the dog being left home while the owners move across the country then the dog shows up at the new house, or does a dog really sense beforehand if its owners are coming home.

But I don't care if dogs have esp or not. That's not the issue. The issue re sheldrake is that randi 1) lied multiple times, 2) misdirected, 3) played a waiting game that is roughly equivalent to a refusal to allow the testing, etc.

He tried to have it two ways and it's not a bad strategy: call out a guy "oh if you really believe in dog esp then why not take the challenge?" to make him look silly and then refuse to let him take the challenge when he accepts.

Randi let a lot of people attempt to qualify for the challenge. He had some basic tests they would first have to pass which involved nothing more than some very simple controls to prevent any cheating. No one ever passed even the initial qualifying phase so why would he let them continue on if they already failed?

As for dogs and ESP, I guess homing pigeons are also psychic, right? As for dogs knowing when their owners are going to get home, most people are on a a pretty predictable routine. Dogs learn routines very well. There's nothing magical about it.

Hell, my dogs will tell me every day when it's 5:30 because that's when I usually feed them. I could be busy doing something and at 5:30 it's like magic, they start getting restless, come get me with their tails wagging, walk to their food bowls and then back to me, because they know they always eat at 5:30. I guess dogs can tell time though, right?
6/15/19 3:45 PM
3/27/03
Stronghold -

My last MA instructor used to go with Randi to dojos and bust chi power guys.  It was Florida 10 years ago

Gay code 

6/15/19 4:14 PM
3/27/03

Also by definition he’s dealing with scammers... of course he’s careful 

6/15/19 4:24 PM
3/14/04
jacktripper - 

Also by definition he’s dealing with scammers... of course he’s careful 

Exactly. He simply set up some very simple controls that would weed out the scammers. Since they were all scammers, not a single one made it past the initial qualifying. You had a bunch of people whining that he didn't let them perform the challenge. Well yeah, that's because they didn't even get past the pre-qualifying.
6/15/19 7:40 PM
3/11/19
angryinch - 
Mind One Two - 
angryinch - 

what about, for example, sheldrake's research that seems to show some sixth sense in dogs? is randi the guy to set that up? maybe to consult for tricks like dog whistles like you said about consulting, but no, he's not the guy.

Interesting you bring that up with me. I'm a certified dog trainer. Never seen anything resembling esp in dogs despite having worked with thousands of them.

That's a nice anecdote but in particular the strongest effects Sheldrake found revolved around a dog's connection to its human family.

You know the old stories about the dog being left home while the owners move across the country then the dog shows up at the new house, or does a dog really sense beforehand if its owners are coming home.

But I don't care if dogs have esp or not. That's not the issue. The issue re sheldrake is that randi 1) lied multiple times, 2) misdirected, 3) played a waiting game that is roughly equivalent to a refusal to allow the testing, etc.

He tried to have it two ways and it's not a bad strategy: call out a guy "oh if you really believe in dog esp then why not take the challenge?" to make him look silly and then refuse to let him take the challenge when he accepts.

Randi let a lot of people attempt to qualify for the challenge. He had some basic tests they would first have to pass which involved nothing more than some very simple controls to prevent any cheating. No one ever passed even the initial qualifying phase so why would he let them continue on if they already failed?

As for dogs and ESP, I guess homing pigeons are also psychic, right? As for dogs knowing when their owners are going to get home, most people are on a a pretty predictable routine. Dogs learn routines very well. There's nothing magical about it.

Hell, my dogs will tell me every day when it's 5:30 because that's when I usually feed them. I could be busy doing something and at 5:30 it's like magic, they start getting restless, come get me with their tails wagging, walk to their food bowls and then back to me, because they know they always eat at 5:30. I guess dogs can tell time though, right?

Where is the info on how many people Randi gave basic qualification tests to?

Dogs and routines, you really have to read Sheldrake's research. They used random number generators to change the timing of the owners' return home, and all sorts of proper controls. You are denying and dismissing like Randi without knowing what you are talking about.

As for dogs and homing pigeons, some sixth sense seems to be at work. Is it ESP? Or is it something more easily explainable? Who knows.

Denial and dismissal are something Sheldrake gets all the time, and it's because people don't know the state of the research.

How do homing pigeons home? "Oh it must be visual landmarks" "Oh it must be magnetic north," etc.

No. They have blinded homing pigeons, stuffed cotton up their nostrils, put magnetic helmets on them, drugged them asleep while moving them, and a few other cruelties, all at the same time, and the pigeons could still home.

It'a mystery. And the dog behavior also seems to be a mystery. Whether it's "supernatural" or not, who knows.
6/15/19 8:24 PM
3/14/04
Mind One Two - 
angryinch - 
Mind One Two - 
angryinch - 

Where is the info on how many people Randi gave basic qualification tests to?

Dogs and routines, you really have to read Sheldrake's research. They used random number generators to change the timing of the owners' return home, and all sorts of proper controls. You are denying and dismissing like Randi without knowing what you are talking about.

As for dogs and homing pigeons, some sixth sense seems to be at work. Is it ESP? Or is it something more easily explainable? Who knows.

Denial and dismissal are something Sheldrake gets all the time, and it's because people don't know the state of the research.

How do homing pigeons home? "Oh it must be visual landmarks" "Oh it must be magnetic north," etc.

No. They have blinded homing pigeons, stuffed cotton up their nostrils, put magnetic helmets on them, drugged them asleep while moving them, and a few other cruelties, all at the same time, and the pigeons could still home.

It'a mystery. And the dog behavior also seems to be a mystery. Whether it's "supernatural" or not, who knows.

I've read the info about Randi's challenge somewhere. It's not something I archive or lose sleep over. If you want to believe nonsense like ESP and psychics, feel free. If you need help getting dressed each day, I don't lose any sleep over that either.

And lol @ pigeons and dogs having ESP. Just because you personally don't know how pigeons navigate doesn't mean it's ESP, it simply means YOU don't know. You're simply making an argument from ignorance.

And lol even more at the idea of a blindfolded drugged pigeon with a helmet on its head. WTF dude?

A quick google search for "how do pigeons navigate" will sort it out for you rather quickly. But if you prefer to keep believing that pigeons, bats, dogs, dolphins, sharks, etc... must be using ESP, well, whatever floats your boat, but just know that you are an idiot. Or is it an imbecile or a moron... I always forget how those are ranked from highest to lowest IQ.
6/15/19 8:43 PM
3/14/04
It's 5:40 here. I'm sitting at my desk mixing some songs I recorded and my dogs just came running in and are sitting there staring at me because they know it's dinner time. How did they know? Did they read the clock on the wall? Are they reading my mind and seeing that I'm thinking about feeding them?

Hmmm.... I could probably win the Randi challenge.
6/15/19 9:17 PM
3/11/19
You have trouble reading and thinking. I already said I could care less if dogs have esp, and for that matter whether esp exists. If Sheldrake's research is right, it could very well be a simple scientific mystery.

You really don't have anything to say so you are being snarky. I've shut down every anecdote you've thrown up. Every time you say something, you put yourself in a deeper pit. But "lol" at me?

Cya
6/15/19 9:24 PM
1/1/01
Mind One Two - You have trouble reading and thinking. I already said I could care less if dogs have esp, and for that matter whether esp exists. If Sheldrake's research is right, it could very well be a simple scientific mystery.

You really don't have anything to say so you are being snarky. I've shut down every anecdote you've thrown up. Every time you say something, you put yourself in a deeper pit. But "lol" at me?

Cya

ai is wrong about a LOT of shit. But he’s dead on with this. You haven’t shut down anything. 

6/15/19 10:21 PM
3/14/04
Mind One Two - You have trouble reading and thinking. I already said I could care less if dogs have esp, and for that matter whether esp exists. If Sheldrake's research is right, it could very well be a simple scientific mystery.

Cya

You seem to have some reading comprehension issues. The only thing you've shut down on this thread is your own brain. Good job.
6/15/19 10:41 PM
3/10/16
dangerboy12 - 

Why would he even test dogs? What would a dog do with a million dollars.

Two bitches at the same time, man
6/16/19 12:03 AM
9/27/15
Stronghold - My trouble with Jon Edwards is that he never tells anyone anything useful, just that whomever ghost is'okay'. Well, if they weren't, was difference does it make? Fuckall anyone can do about a spirit rotting in their own hell.

So, real of fake, it all adds up to 'so what'. Beyond cold reading or whatever, it's just entertainment. But, it preys on peoples' emotions. I went to a college thing Edwards was at... kind of interesting but all of the women acted the same way. If he chose a women to prove he was communicating with a ghost of someone they knew, as soon as the lady would stand up, they would start crying even before Edwards told them anything. Pure 100% emotion. No wonder he's rich

I'm curious if Edwards has ever told family members that their long lost loved one was not at peace and in fact in a good deal of suffering or unease? Has he? If he always gives positive answers then there is no point
6/16/19 12:09 AM
9/27/15
angryinch - 
Mind One Two - 
angryinch - 

I'm not with you 100% here..most of the dogs I've had have definitely had done type of extra sense ..they seemed to somehow know when my brother was coming over before I did..they would get super antsy, ears up and go to my living room window and look out wagging their talks..it got to the point where if they did this I knew my brother was coming over and he stopped over occasionally and never at specific times..when my mother or other friend visited they would go to the patio door and wait..

I'm not claiming dogs are psychic or have a 6th sense but I definitely believe they have an ability to sense things we do not
6/16/19 12:28 AM
3/14/04
ons ear - 
angryinch - 
Mind One Two - 
angryinch - 

I'm not with you 100% here..most of the dogs I've had have definitely had done type of extra sense ..they seemed to somehow know when my brother was coming over before I did..they would get super antsy, ears up and go to my living room window and look out wagging their talks..it got to the point where if they did this I knew my brother was coming over and he stopped over occasionally and never at specific times..when my mother or other friend visited they would go to the patio door and wait..

I'm not claiming dogs are psychic or have a 6th sense but I definitely believe they have an ability to sense things we do not

Of course they do. That's why we use them for things like bomb sniffing, drug sniffing, etc...

Long time ago I was at home and my dogs started freaking out. I was wondering WTF was going on. I didn't notice anything strange. I opened the door, walked around the yard, nothing out of the ordinary. A couple hours later I found out that a mile or so away, right when the dogs were freaking out, there were a couple of tornadoes that hit and fucked shit up. I didn't hear it, didn't feel anything, but the dogs did.

Once in a while I'll take my dogs out where I currently live and they'll freak out if a coyote was anywhere nearby hours before.

Bats navigate by sonar. Some birds navigate by magnetism. Others by smell. Ants can lift up to 100 times their own body weight. And the list goes on....

Other animals can sense a lot of things and do a lot of things that we can't. Doesn't mean they have ESP or any psychic powers.
6/16/19 12:47 AM
8/16/16

Morphic resonance is legit.

6/16/19 1:48 AM
3/14/04
loiteringwithintent - 

Morphic resonance is legit.

legit horseshit.
6/16/19 2:08 AM
5/2/02
angryinch -
ons ear - 
angryinch - 
Mind One Two - 
angryinch - 

Of course they do. That's why we use them for things like bomb sniffing, drug sniffing, etc...

Long time ago I was at home and my dogs started freaking out. I was wondering WTF was going on. I didn't notice anything strange. I opened the door, walked around the yard, nothing out of the ordinary. A couple hours later I found out that a mile or so away, right when the dogs were freaking out, there were a couple of tornadoes that hit and fucked shit up. I didn't hear it, didn't feel anything, but the dogs did.

Once in a while I'll take my dogs out where I currently live and they'll freak out if a coyote was anywhere nearby hours before.

Bats navigate by sonar. Some birds navigate by magnetism. Others by smell. Ants can lift up to 100 times their own body weight. And the list goes on....

Other animals can sense a lot of things and do a lot of things that we can't. Doesn't mean they have ESP or any psychic powers.

This is where I have an issue.  Do people only consider it ESP if it’s litertsome kind of magic?   If dogs had electromagnetic like some sharks do would that not be noteworthy?

It always seems like skeptics are begging the question.  It’s only real if it can’t be explained, but if it can’t be explained it can’t be real, and if a scientific discovery is made that explains it occurs, then it’s still not real.  

We discover amazing things about our universe all the time.  If we didn’t know about sonar and thought bats and dolphins had some kind of extra sense and called it esp, we’d still be right.  They do have abilities we don’t.