OtherGround Forums So, I j watched Cuties.....

14 days ago
3/15/15
Sat down with the missus today.
Some thoughts...

1) A pretty good movie with some potent messages
2) A few unsettling shots - but I think that was the point, to confront the viewer of the reality, but despite that it almost seemed like girls acting silly in order to be adults and emulating what they are exposed to.

3) Is it pedo bait? No. There were some "controversial" shots with the camera but I think it was to drive home a point. We all allow this crap in society and nonsense media untiul we see its impact then we are enraged.

4) I really like the honest juxtaposition of traditional, cultural values with the modern pop culture values.

Now I used my wife as a barometer as she used to work with children for about 8 years. What were her thoughts. She did cringe at some of the depictions, and though perhaps in a couple of cases it went a bit too far to make its point, but really she didn't find it horrific as some are amking it out to be. She also mentioned that a lot of the dance moves (hip hop influenced, and posing) are taught to children here and suggestive hip movements that predate the blatant "twerking" which looks just crass and ghetto. But she also commented, this sort of stuff is pretty typical of young girls and really has been magnified in recent years where hypersexualized music is being forced on teens and children. She mentioned Wet Ass Pussy by Cardi B as being indictative of how people in social mendia, instead of being disgusted, are promoting this nonsense.
I generally agree with her feeelings.

We both agreed that if the Netflix hadn't done the terrible drawing, most here would not even blink. She also said there have been other movies recently ("Grade 8" was an example) where blatant sexuality of young girls is explored as being "realistic" and what many young girls face.
She also thinks that is seems to be "coversative" type people with online outrage and part of that might be due to the movie being foreign, showing visible minorities, and fundamentalist Islam.

The big question we both have is where the line needs to be drawn for depticting this stuff? To talk about what kids/teens are up to these days, is it wrong to show it? And if it is, where is the line. What about 14, 15, 16 year olds? Or any minor.

Anyway, pretty good movie, but no need to watch again, with some powerful messages, but perhaps over the line for some sensibilites, but acknowledging there is a lot of hypocrisy as other older movies have shown worse (here and you don't see outrage).

FRAT summary: The outrage is overblown, some questionable/cringeworthy camera shots to force reality on the viewer, some interesting issues explored, and perhaps too much for some.
Edited: 14 days ago
9/7/11

What’s your home address? Just a random question...

14 days ago
4/22/07

Hi, pedo

14 days ago
2/24/19

Have a seat right over there ... 

14 days ago
11/7/12

Something tells me you didn't really watch with your "wife".

14 days ago
9/10/13

Enjoyed the movie huh? 

im chris hanson. 

14 days ago
7/16/08

OP is psychologically damaged.

14 days ago
4/11/14

14 days ago
3/21/12
You watch stuff like that and you're taking a risk it plants a seed in your brain
14 days ago
11/20/13

Lol... 

‘grabs popcorn’

14 days ago
12/13/15

Wtf

I couldn't get through one scene. It disturbed the shit out of me

14 days ago
7/4/10

Op thinks about fucking kids on the regular. 

I barely made it half way. It was straight pedo bait. Looks like you're the winner. 

14 days ago
9/15/13
watched it with my wife and was grossed out. not a good movie at all. these girls were 11-12 and the mothers were no where around? cmon how unrealistic!! Parents letting their 11-12 yr old girls running around Paris, France!! There was way too much pedo shit too. The camera angles, zoom ins, fingers in the mouth, touching private areas and the outfits were just way over the line. Movie was a piece of dogshit and netflix should be ashamed. Who would let their daughter(s) star or act in this type of movie?

These people and parents should have never have or had kids or be parents if this is what they are allowing in 2020. I have zero sympathy
14 days ago
3/15/15
TzTinkle - You watch stuff like that and you're taking a risk it plants a seed in your brain

The problem is, it won't. I am a vocal opponent of the ghettoization of pop culture and how ghetto culture, profanity, and questionable morality is being thrust upon young children. Do you feel comfrtable with 8 year olds singing WAP and knowing the lyrics (choose whichever song you want) as a normal part of pop culture and society? I don't. I think its terrible, but no one I talk to really thinks it is serious and treats it as a joke. This is why I do not like urban hip-hop/rap culture. It is degrading.

But this movie, directed a Senegalese woman is designed to show this and other things. Now, if I was doing the movie, I'd probably use more santized shots in North America, and again, I don't know the line between depiction and glorification.
14 days ago
3/20/15

14 days ago
9/13/12
HotSteppa - Sat down with the missus today.
Some thoughts...

2) A few unsettling shots - but I think that was the point, to confront the viewer of the reality, but despite that it almost seemed like girls acting silly in order to be adults and emulating what they are exposed to.

3) Is it pedo bait? No. There were some "controversial" shots with the camera but I think it was to drive home a point. We all allow this crap in society and nonsense media untiul we see its impact then we are enraged.

4) I really like the honest juxtaposition of traditional, cultural values with the modern pop culture values.

Now I used my wife as a barometer as she used to work with children for about 8 years. What were her thoughts. She did cringe at some of the depictions, and though perhaps in a couple of cases it went a bit too far to make its point, but really she didn't find it horrific as some are amking it out to be. She also mentioned that a lot of the dance moves (hip hop influenced, and posing) are taught to children here and suggestive hip movements that predate the blatant "twerking" which looks just crass and ghetto. But she also commented, this sort of stuff is pretty typical of young girls and really has been magnified in recent years where hypersexualized music is being forced on teens and children. She mentioned Wet Ass Pussy by Cardi B as being indictative of how people in social mendia, instead of being disgusted, are promoting this nonsense.

We both agreed that if the Netflix hadn't done the terrible drawing, most here would not even blink. She also said there have been other movies recently ("Grade 8" was an example) where blatant sexuality of young girls is explored as being "realistic" and what many young girls face.
She also thinks that is seems to be "coversative" type people with online outrage and part of that might be due to the movie being foreign, showing visible minorities, and fundamentalist Islam.

The big question we both have is where the line needs to be drawn for depticting this stuff? To talk about what kids/teens are up to these days, is it wrong to show it? And if it is, where is the line. What about 14, 15, 16 year olds? Or any minor.

Anyway, pretty good movie, but no need to watch again, with some powerful messages, but perhaps over the line for some sensibilites, but acknowledging there is a lot of hypocrisy as other older movies have shown worse (here and you don't see outrage).

FRAT summary: The outrage is overblown, some questionable/cringeworthy camera shots to force reality on the viewer, some interesting issues explored, and perhaps too much for some.

Interesting write up. Sorry about the embarrassing responses.

Cultural traditional values and the family are badly needed in this day and age. But it's lost on the US and Western society in general which loves to root in its own filth. Anyone who wants to raise a good family needs to immigrate. Even if you're a good person and plant good values into your children, there's no way they can escape the evil effects of society, media and peers.

14 days ago
1/1/01

14 days ago
3/15/15
Rob Collins - watched it with my wife and was grossed out. not a good movie at all. these girls were 11-12 and the mothers were no where around? cmon how unrealistic!! Parents letting their 11-12 yr old girls running around Paris, France!! There was way too much pedo shit too. The camera angles, zoom ins, fingers in the mouth, touching private areas and the outfits were just way over the line. Movie was a piece of dogshit and netflix should be ashamed. Who would let their daughter(s) star or act in this type of movie?

These people and parents should have never have or had kids or be parents if this is what they are allowing in 2020. I have zero sympathy

I agree, it can be taken this way. Obviously you have limited exposure to some communities where this is happening due to neglect, and immigrant parents working 2 or 3 jobs to survive. One has to view it outside of the North American context, but this is a reality in big cities.
If you don't think American girls act like this in group, you are sadly mistaken. But this is a movie focused on Paris, and yes, in some communities, especially with large amounts of poverty, there are these problems.
As far as the "pedo shit", I agree, some was controversial or unessary. But I think the bigger outrage should be conetered on how children HERE too are being exposed to pop culture that promotes this lewdness which they emulate.
Inner cities are fiilled with this and worse behaviour.
14 days ago
1/1/01
14 days ago
11/19/08

Dude, they are slowly trying to normalize this shit. It is not going to be some sudden thing. Your verbose paragraph justifying it is extremely disturbing.  You are the type that they are trying to brainwash. Get it together, man. 

14 days ago
3/17/14
GarlicSauce -
HotSteppa - Sat down with the missus today.
Some thoughts...

Interesting write up. Sorry about the embarrassing responses.

Cultural traditional values and the family are badly needed in this day and age. But it's lost on the US and Western society in general which loves to root in its own filth. Anyone who wants to raise a good family needs to immigrate. Even if you're a good person and plant good values into your children, there's no way they can escape the evil effects of society, media and peers.

I think a big part of the issue is that individuality is also repressed with group think. It's the same with our politics. I just had a conversation with a co-worker who is a single mom who grew up making all the wrong choices in her youth and naturally she does not want that for her kids. She works hard for them but her daughter who is pretty young just got pregnant because "all her friends were pregnant too". 

That is one of the most stupid reasons to have a child ever. Imagine telling your future kid that. "Mommy, why did you and daddy want to have kids?" "Well little one all my friends were having kids way too young so I wanted to aswell".

Fucking retarded.

14 days ago
10/30/05

I can’t wrap my head around you weirdos trying to justify this shit. 

14 days ago
10/22/14

How hard was concealing your boner in front of your wife?

14 days ago
11/20/13
DonkeyBiscuit -

How hard was concealing your boner in front of your wife?

Why do you assume someone gets aroused by that? Something you want to tell us?

14 days ago
3/1/10

The whole "kid from a foreign conservative family wants to be western" trope is played out at this point, and has been done many times without having 11 year olds twerk.

Blinded By The Light came out last year, had the same plot, and didn't feature a kid taking a photo of her pussy.

Bend It Like Bekham did it almost 20 years ago.