OtherGround Forums Special Counsel for Trump/Russia Megathread

4/10/18 7:43 PM
12/5/17

Media round-up re: firing the special counsel:

Trump mulling firing Rosenstein: report(The Hill)

Trump tried to fire Mueller in December: report (The Hill)

Trump considering firing Rosenstein to check Mueller (CNN)

All published within the last few hours.

They should *chill out* on these reports.

The president should hire more attorneys and relax.

4/11/18 12:45 PM
12/5/17

“Mueller asks a judge to issue 35 sets of subpoenas to witnesses for a July 10 appearance at a trial — that’s when Manafort is set to go on trial on tax and bank fraud charges. Mueller asked for blank subpoenas, with names to be filled in later, per @business.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs

4/11/18 12:47 PM
12/5/17

^July 10 date is important. If some of the legal commentators are correct — we’ll see Manafort flip, or a superseding indictment revealing potential charges for the primary case involving the 2016 election right around that date.  

4/11/18 2:33 PM
6/13/03
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -

Rod Rosenstein and Christopher Wrey are about to be held in contempt of congress and face calls for impeachment over refusing to hand over the document showing why the investigation was started in the first place

4/11/18 2:35 PM
12/5/17
Hammerstein -
drudown - 

Pumpkin basically talks at himself for this entire thread, nice work cunty.

Weird how all the 'but muh Russia!' trolls seem to be avoiding this thread like the plague, huh?

Well — I do talk to myself or post some out-of-context shit. This thread is good for documenting things imo. 

We might see it pop-off eventually, but if something drops someone will create a new thread specific to that. 

Edited: 4/11/18 2:41 PM
12/5/17
Sogsteel -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -

Rod Rosenstein and Christopher Wrey are about to be held in contempt of congress and face calls for impeachment over refusing to hand over the document showing why the investigation was started in the first place

Links?

I’ve held back from making accusations against Nunes, but the chance that he’s actively running interference in direct co-ordination with the White House is strong imo. 

Not really caught up on that so I’m going to withold judgment for now. 

I can say that given the performance of the HPSCI — I would be hesitant to release anything of confidential value to Nunes. Which is pretty crazy given his chair status on the oversight committee. Wouldn’t be surprised if the DOJ is weighing their options to legally avoid that — all things considered.

Edited: 4/11/18 3:17 PM
12/5/17

^Ah — requested by the judiciary committee. 

Looks like they mention elsewhere that this is the trove of documents also reviewed by the DOJ IG. I imagine his report will be a better take on it anyway.

4/11/18 3:48 PM
2/22/11
Ill Portents -
Sogsteel - 
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -

Any day now, right?

Heads are going to roll over the fictional FISA abuse in the Carter Page warrant! lol

Carter page was essentially being spied on by two different entities lol 

4/11/18 6:28 PM
12/5/17
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus - 

Looks like they mention elsewhere that this is the trove of documents also reviewed by the DOJ IG. I imagine his report will be a better take on it anyway.

From @ZoeTillman:

'A DOJ official says they've provided Nunes, Schiff, and the rest of House Intel "with access to the requested document." This appears to refer to a doc used to initiate the FBI's Russia probe that Nunes was seeking'

4/11/18 7:05 PM
2/4/09
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus - 

From @ZoeTillman:

'A DOJ official says they've provided Nunes, Schiff, and the rest of House Intel "with access to the requested document." This appears to refer to a doc used to initiate the FBI's Russia probe that Nunes was seeking'

Are these the same files I mentioned yesterday that Trump appointed an attorney to oversea their release that was been stonewalled. 

The same news story that was released before the raid yesterday that someone said it was unimportant because it was a story that "I" read yesterday and thought was coincidental?

Oh and to the dude that said trump supporters avoiding this like the plague. I'm not a trump supporter but I'm sure I could post lots of things about the case that are not in the "legal proceedings" but then I would get called a deflector etc... trying to derail the thread... 

I'm tired of arguing with Orcus 

Edited: 4/11/18 7:23 PM
12/5/17
NoNeed4aScreenName - 
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus - 

From @ZoeTillman:

Are these the same files I mentioned yesterday that Trump appointed an attorney to oversea their release that was been stonewalled. 

The same news story that was released before the raid yesterday that someone said it was unimportant because it was a story that "I" read yesterday and thought was coincidental?

Oh and to the dude that said trump supporters avoiding this like the plague. I'm not a trump supporter but I'm sure I could post lots of things about the case that are not in the "legal proceedings" but then I would get called a deflector etc... trying to derail the thread... 

I don't know.

The DOJ claims it has a two-shift staff working on redacting and preparing materials in addition to that. It would be a deflection if you were in the middle of discussing some other topic relevant to the case. This is a legal matter -- so if there is an issue with the investigation there are processes to follow, which are being in the works from multiple angles, and then the conclusions are drawn.

4/11/18 7:25 PM
9/13/02

good thread. you may be talking to yourself at times but at least you're not a total cunt like orcus. i'm definitely conservative and not a fan of everything trump does, but i hope all of this is done to the letter of the law and if trump ISN'T found guilty of collusion with Russia some of the people on this forum die in a fire. if he is found to have colluded with russia to steal the election i'll be the first to call for the fucking guillotine

4/11/18 7:30 PM
2/4/09
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
NoNeed4aScreenName - 
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus - 

From @ZoeTillman:

I don't know.

The DOJ claims it has a two-shift staff working on redacting and preparing materials in addition to that. It would be a deflection if you were in the middle of discussing some other topic relevant to the case. This is a legal matter -- so if there is an issue with the investigation there are processes to follow, which are being in the works from multiple angles, and then the conclusions are drawn.

if I were to add another player. Let's say glenn simpson.... that would be derailing? 

If i were to talk about the Russian lawyere.... that would be derailing? 

What if we added Peter Strzok and other FBI employees would that also be derailing?

4/11/18 7:33 PM
12/5/17
NoNeed4aScreenName -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
NoNeed4aScreenName - 
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus - 

From @ZoeTillman:

I don't know.

if I were to add another player. Let's say glenn simpson.... that would be derailing? 

What if we added Peter Strzok and other FBI employees would that also be derailing?

It depends on what is being discussed. This is a mega thread and it seems appropriate to me.

What’s your theory? 

4/11/18 7:45 PM
9/5/16
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
Sogsteel -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -

Links?

I’ve held back from making accusations against Nunes, but the chance that he’s actively running interference in direct co-ordination with the White House is strong imo. 

I can say that given the performance of the HPSCI — I would be hesitant to release anything of confidential value to Nunes. Which is pretty crazy given his chair status on the oversight committee. Wouldn’t be surprised if the DOJ is weighing their options to legally avoid that — all things considered.

Hahhhh so you're no longer referring to Nunes as "Trumps pissboy" like you have in other threads? Nice. You really give of the impression of being objective in this thread. LOL you're a funny dude.
4/11/18 7:49 PM
2/4/09
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
NoNeed4aScreenName -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
NoNeed4aScreenName - 
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus - 

From @ZoeTillman:

I don't know.

It depends on what is being discussed. This is a mega thread and it seems appropriate to me.

What’s your theory? 

I just meant you can get more into the thread aside from just what feels like only the prosecution side. 

A timeline of the events and the major players would possibly add to the thread. That's a lot of work though and would take constant adjustments to the timeline with new findings. 

It's not my thread though and I really don't blame anyone for not wanting to put in that kind of work. I think that would have to make the thread sticky worthy. 

who knows maybe a different megathread would be more appropriate for that 

Edited: 4/11/18 8:08 PM
12/5/17
Mr. Wright - 

good thread. you may be talking to yourself at times but at least you're not a total cunt like orcus. i'm definitely conservative and not a fan of everything trump does, but i hope all of this is done to the letter of the law and if trump ISN'T found guilty of collusion with Russia some of the people on this forum die in a fire. if he is found to have colluded with russia to steal the election i'll be the first to call for the fucking guillotine

Thank you.

It is highly unlikely that President Trump is charged with something related to collusion with Russia (like the conspiracy against the U.S. charges discussed in the links related to the legal theory of the case in the OP).

For a number of reasons:

1. The investigation was not prompted by something Donald Trump did.

2. The appointment document linked in the OP - very important to the discussion of the case - makes it clear that it's about the Trump campaign. That's why we're seeing so many figures from the campaign being investigated, indicted, and so on.

3. The precedent at the DOJ is that a sitting president cannot be indicted by the DOJ. This is not set in stone and they could certainly argue that they can, but we have no indication of that.

4. The Washington Post reported that the special counsel considers Trump a subject (someone being investigated) and not a target (someone for whom they have enough evidence to indict on a specific charge).

So in all of the links I've shared, the thoughts given, the speculation on what's to come by extrapolating from the current indictments, information revealed in court documents, media reports, etc. -- none of it includes the idea that Donald J. Trump colluded with the Russians.

Granted - if you tune into certain media outlets you're going to be left with that impression. Even the legal analyst that I really trust and find to be making a lot of sense (Marcy Wheeler) thinks that Trump is the ultimate target. She's just talking about probabilities though. She understands that she could be wrong. She understands that she's just making some deductions and offering ideas about where things are headed. That is really important in my opinion.

I tend to disagree with her. Not because I don't think it's possible, but because I don't have anything to speculate on. I can speculate about how Mueller will see potential obstruction of justice re: Trump -- but not conspiracy.

So when we understand that it's about the Trump campaign, and Trump the man isn't one of the key figures that we have a lot of smoke surrounding right now... the case is a lot more interesting imo. & it's more interesting because for some of the campaign figures there is motive, and there is circumstantial evidence, and in my opinion it's more likely that we'll see some people charged with a conspiracy against  the U.S. (collusion) involving the campaign than not.

4/11/18 8:06 PM
12/5/17
HurtFeelings - 
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
Sogsteel -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -

Links?

Hahhhh so you're no longer referring to Nunes as "Trumps pissboy" like you have in other threads? Nice. You really give of the impression of being objective in this thread. LOL you're a funny dude.

That was not me.

If you have an example of me calling Nunes "Trumps pissboy" just share it, but I've never called him that. I've repeated that same idea -- that we can definitely argue that it looks like Nunes is running interference and he was definitely involved in the partisan fuckery that became of the HPSCI, but I'm not sure of all that. A lot of the stuff he has done -- from the memos on the Carter Page FISA application to just generally running a counter investigation and requesting materials from the FBI/DOJ have had broader support. We can't just dismiss them.

But if you take Trey Gowdy's comments on the Carter Page situation, which I think were valuable -- it's pretty clear to me that it's worth reviewing for compliance and the like. But it's not something that somehow invalidates the special counsel investigation. It's just being sold to some folks as that.

Edited: 4/11/18 8:18 PM
12/5/17

"But if you take Trey Gowdy's comments on the Carter Page situation, which I think were valuable -- it's pretty clear to me that it's worth reviewing for compliance and the like. But it's not something that somehow invalidates the special counsel investigation. It's just being sold to some folks as that."

^

If you just consider everything as a legal matter right now it's like it exists on a different planet. We actively have Paul Manafort's defense team challenging the special counsel's authority, and that court case is really important. Paul isn't trying to cite the Carter Page application (for obvious reasons) as corrupting the legal case against him. But he is citing some things and he's trying to put the brakes on the SC a bit -- that is largely going to be decided directly in court.

A lot of the Twitter feeds linked are commentators that are going to be focusing on things like that, and not focused on a lot of the other noise we're hearing. That comes in handy with just understanding the case and where it might be headed.

& NoNeed4aScreenName isn't wrong to bring up issues that might prejudice the cases. I'm not as caught up on all of that and can't really separate the media narratives from the reality at the moment. I'm not so sure I've seen anything that would cause me to think that it's all a conspiracy or an operation to defame Trump, etc. I think a number of folks in that campaign set off alarms and that it's justifiable to investigate given what I know at the moment.

4/11/18 8:27 PM
9/5/16
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
HurtFeelings - 
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
Sogsteel -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -

Links?

That was not me.

If you have an example of me calling Nunes "Trumps pissboy" just share it, but I've never called him that. I've repeated that same idea -- that we can definitely argue that it looks like Nunes is running interference and he was definitely involved in the partisan fuckery that became of the HPSCI, but I'm not sure of all that. A lot of the stuff he has done -- from the memos on the Carter Page FISA application to just generally running a counter investigation and requesting materials from the FBI/DOJ have had broader support. We can't just dismiss them.

But if you take Trey Gowdy's comments on the Carter Page situation, which I think were valuable -- it's pretty clear to me that it's worth reviewing for compliance and the like. But it's not something that somehow invalidates the special counsel investigation. It's just being sold to some folks as that.

You sure that wasn't you? Maybe it was pumpkin spice Jesus then lol. Oh well. I don't have search or the option to dig through older threads from the app, otherwise I would. No need to derail your objective outlook thread.. I might be thinking of that LaynPray guy actually.
4/11/18 8:28 PM
12/5/17

^ & having said all that... 

If a member of the campaign does get indicted on a charge that directly involves a conspiracy with a Russian operative, an intermediary, or maybe a Russian linked intelligence front — I’m going to go hard on the Trump-specific speculation :). 

At that point what he knew, how he reacted, etc. becomes important and pretty dangerous. 

But we’re not there.

4/11/18 8:38 PM
12/5/17

& re: Orcus

He and I disagree on some points about where things are headed. & we obviously have different personalities. I think he's okay though. There are a lot of cunts around here. He's just a cunt that typically has a counter perspective, and he argues it to no end, slings mud, etc. There are only a handful of people really following this investigation outside of tuning into the criticism of it. He has a real understanding of the facts.

Orcus shared the Rachel Maddow scoop on Dana Boente yesterday. I wouldn't have done that and never mentioned it in this thread because I find MSNBC to be toxic and irresponsible in their coverage of this investigation. Rachel's not the worst of the lot, but she has this silly fucking habit of building things up and then revealing a basic data point that would have been a passing article routinely published by The Washington Post. Worth adding it to the collection of information here, but come on. MSNBC is not doing any of us favors by adding to misconceptions about this matter.

But #freeorcus. Or don't -- he doesn't seem to mind being combative.

4/11/18 8:40 PM
12/5/17
HurtFeelings - 
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
HurtFeelings - 
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -
Sogsteel -
Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -

Links?

That was not me.

You sure that wasn't you? Maybe it was pumpkin spice Jesus then lol. Oh well. I don't have search or the option to dig through older threads from the app, otherwise I would. No need to derail your objective outlook thread.. I might be thinking of that LaynPray guy actually.

4/12/18 6:35 AM
2/22/11

Don’t you think if they work and look long enough, then they would find something with Facebook? There is obviously more, but every party involved should be held accountable. Zuckerberg has been known for political bias as well.... 

I’m guessing Mueller could easily go back in time and actually find collusion on both sides. This is all speculative obviously. I remember reading an article about the DNC and Facebook working together. 

4/12/18 6:38 AM
2/22/11

FWIW 

mueller was mentioned in Zuckerberg’s testimony and how employees have been interviewed including his own self