OtherGround Forums State Your Unpopular Opinions Here

7 days ago
5/28/03
Mountain Medic - 
HELWIG -

Ok. Quick overview:

The earliest known record of this story is from the town of Hamelin itself, depicted in a stained glass window created for the church of Hamelin, which dates to around 1300. This is within 20 years of the event taking place.

In 1284, while the town of Hamelin was suffering from a rat infestation, a piper dressed in multicolored ("pied") clothing appeared, claiming to be a rat-catcher. He promised the mayor a solution to their problem with the rats. The mayor, in turn, promised to pay him for the removal of the rats (according to some versions of the story, the promised sum was 1,000 guilders). The piper accepted and played his pipe to lure the rats into the Weser River, where they all drowned.

Despite the piper's success, the mayor reneged on his promise and refused to pay him the full sum (reputedly reduced to a sum of 50 guilders) even going so far as to blame the piper for bringing the rats himself in an extortion attempt. Enraged, the piper stormed out of the town, vowing to return later to take revenge. On Saint John and Paul's day, while the adults were in church, the piper returned dressed in green like a hunter and playing his pipe. In so doing, he attracted the town's children. 130 children followed him out of town and into a cave and were never seen again.

The Hamlin street named Bungelosenstrasse ("street without drums") is believed to be the last place that the children were seen. Ever since, music or dancing is not allowed on this street.

This needs it's own thread!

10000000%

7 days ago
5/28/03

done

JUST GIVING THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT

7 days ago
5/28/03

Heinrich of Herferd, a monk, wrote about this incident in the Lneburg Manuscript more than a century after the window had been constructed. He speaks about a man of around 30 who came to the town playing a flute and led away its children.

7 days ago
5/7/08
ShanTheMan -
MayorPirkle -

Training Day doesn't hold up. It's corny and Ethan Hawke's character is the least believable character I've seen in a long time.

Considering he was supposedly already a cop,he was way too naive.

After all the shit Denzel pulls in that day, he STILL goes with him to the Mexican gangbanger house. Incredible. 

The whole movie is a mess, Denzel's charisma is the only reason to watch. His character sucks but he commands the screen. 

Edited: 5 days ago
6/29/02
MayorPirkle -
ShanTheMan -
MayorPirkle -

Training Day doesn't hold up. It's corny and Ethan Hawke's character is the least believable character I've seen in a long time.

After all the shit Denzel pulls in that day, he STILL goes with him to the Mexican gangbanger house. Incredible. 

The whole movie is a mess, Denzel's charisma is the only reason to watch. His character sucks but he commands the screen. 

I was pissed off that year because Denzel got the Oscar when Russel Crowe did such a good job in A Beautiful Mind.

Denzel got it because he was black, and he got it because they gave it to Crowe the year before for Gladiator.

Each year should stand on it's own.

But that's wishful thinking.

Edit: for clarity, in 2001 there was a huge media push that, "This could be the year a black actor and actress finally get recognized for their contribution in film."  The Feel Good ending was predetermined that Denzel would get Best Actor and Halle would get best actress and that racism would be solved forever by Hollywood.  That's all I was getting at - the hypocrisy of the people in power.  I have no problem with any specific race.  I just wrote assuming everyone remembers 2001 and all the hype for awards season that year.

7 days ago
4/22/07

John Wayne was a good actor. Just because he played similar characters and never did some artsy shit does not make him a bad actor. Yes I know he had some real stinkers, but almost everyone does.

7 days ago
3/31/14
DagwoodDogwoggle -
MayorPirkle -
ShanTheMan -
MayorPirkle -

I was pissed off that year because Denzel got the Oscar when Russel Crowe did such a good job in A Beautiful Mind.

Denzel got it because he was black, and he got it because they gave it to Crowe the year before for Gladiator.

It's those god damn blacks again!!

6 days ago
1/1/01

The 289 Cobra is better looking than the 427.

5 days ago
12/3/02

The world would be a much better place if a Thanos snap took place. 

Edited: 5 days ago
3/17/14
crazydave -

Ah that's relative. If the snap took out all of the West then the world for sure would not be a better place.

Also I'm pretty sure his snap also included animals and that would for sure fuck up the ecosystem. Would mother nature recover? Sure but who knows how long that would take if half the animal population at random died off. 

5 days ago
5/28/03
crazydave - 

overpopulation is a myth cynical assholes use to feign sophistication.

the world is neither overpopulated in the sense of space, nor resources.

people starve because of geopolitics, not a lack of food.

5 days ago
6/29/02
Bukkaked by Bombers -
DagwoodDogwoggle -
MayorPirkle -
ShanTheMan -
MayorPirkle -

It's those god damn blacks again!!

That particular year (2001) the Motion Picture Academy wanted to write a story book ending about how the black actors and actresses were finally being recognized.  There had been a lot of pressure in the media coming up to the event and a lot of sources saying if Denzel and Barre didn't get the award then fuck movies forever.

So it was predetermined that 2001 would be the Year of the Black Actor.

If you go back and look up magazines and newspapers you'll see it was everywhere.  Facts are facts and the fix was in.

I have no problem with any race.  I just meant to convey that i can't stand it when the media or politics or any orginization sets up the outcome to tell a story.

5 days ago
1/12/05
Denzel has been in more good movies than DeNiro, but DeNiro has been in more great movies than Denzel.
4 days ago
3/26/13
HELWIG -
crazydave - 

There is enough food, but I think there's more to the issue of overpopulation than that.  Water resources comes to mind just off the top of my head.

4 days ago
1/1/01
nek -
HELWIG -
crazydave - 

There is enough food, but I think there's more to the issue of overpopulation than that.  Water resources comes to mind just off the top of my head.

It’s an infrastructure issue as well. You can barely get from one town to the next in a lot of countries. You’re not getting butter from a vat in Ohio to a tent in South Sudan. 

3 days ago
1/1/01

Polka music is awesome and makes for a great time.

Edited: 3 days ago
11/11/11
samichlaus -

Polka music is awesome and makes for a great time.

Accordian is a sexy underrated instrument.

3 days ago
1/12/05
I find it hard to believe that a man can like dancing for the sake of dancing and not as a means to get laid.
2 days ago
8/12/16
Bobby Lupo - Denzel has been in more good movies than DeNiro, but DeNiro has been in more great movies than Denzel.

Deniro has played Deniro in every film from at least 2010 on.

Edited: 2 days ago
1/25/19

rap music is the lowest form of music. its the kazoo. it has its place but its popularity is primarily because of uneducated and insecure people trying to seem deep and intelligent while having little to no musical talent or insight. 

Edited: 2 days ago
3/17/14
skad -

rap music is the lowest form of music. its the kazoo. it has its place but its popularity is primarily because of uneducated and insecure people trying to seem deep and intelligent while having little to no musical talent or insight. 

Disagree. The Rhythm And Poetry side of rap is highly talented and great story telling.

Rap has been hijacked by no talent/cookie cutter mumble nonsense that the record execs wanna pump out because it's easy and fast and cheap.

Popular rap is like McDonald's. Trash-cheap-fast.

R.A.P. is like a high restaurant. You need the best to create the best within the genre.

It easy and lazy to say all rap is bad. Once you know the ins and outs of it, it can be an amazing musical art form.

2 days ago
1/1/01
BruteDion - 
skad -

Disagree. The Rhythm And Poetry side of rap is highly talented and great story telling.

Rap has been hijacked by no talent/cookie cutter mumble nonsense that the record execs wanna pump out because it's easy and fast and cheap.

Popular rap is like McDonald's. Trash-cheap-fast.

R.A.P. is like a high restaurant. You need the best to create the best within the genre.

It easy and lazy to say all rap is bad. Once you know the ins and outs of it, it can be an amazing musical art form.

Agreed.  R.A.P. is like a McDonald's with silverware and plates.

2 days ago
1/26/10
Bobby Lupo - I find it hard to believe that a man can like dancing for the sake of dancing and not as a means to get laid.

I feel the same way.  If a man is a great dancer he is either a pussy hound or a homo.  Either way not in it for the sake of dancing.

1 day ago
2/23/12

Heat is an overrated movie and Al Pacino fucking stunk in it