OtherGround Forums Stories: Dodged Bullets

6/18/19 12:42 AM
9/12/12

Tell me about a time when you dodged a bullet, literal or figurative. Close call stories, let's have em.

6/18/19 12:47 AM
9/4/17

Party in high school. Could here two shots go by me. I was not even the intended target lol. I've also nutted in multiple whores and only two got pregnant, total bill was 600 give or take a few dollars. 

6/18/19 12:47 AM
8/20/03

Edited: 6/18/19 12:52 AM
4/13/12

Got attacked by a mob of 30 people r so in an alley in Jakarta.  Brother got stabbed, i had a large rock (a foot wide or so) thrown at me and hit me in the head.  Both had bottles and fists tonthe head.  Lots of blood.  Cab driver tried to stop it and help and they killed him.

Was in a car that flipped at least 3 times at 70mph.  I was lying down in the back with the seats folded down lying down asleep in the trunk/ back seat.  

6/18/19 12:53 AM
9/12/12

A few years back my wife and I were headed to the mall to go shopping. We were trying to hurry because we had a babysitter for the kids finally and wanted to take advantage. We were both pretty hungry so we were going to grab something to eat at the food courts. We were just about to turn into the mall driveway when at the last minute a thought popped into my head: "let's grab Costco hot dogs". My wife wholeheartedly agreed so we went left at the last moment instead of right into the mall parking lot.

We were eating our costco dogs on our way to the mall when we got a phone call. One of our kids got sick, saddened we turned away and drove home. On our drive home we passed 10 cop cars. I couldn't believe there was so many in a row and knew something serious had happened. 

We got home to find out someone had went into our mall with a hockey mask and an ar-15 and shot up the food court. A mass shooting happened right at the time we "randomly" decided to eat elsewhere. When I think about it I thank God for looking out and for providing delicious hot dogs so reasonably priced.

6/18/19 12:58 AM
2/24/11

Got hit head on by a drunk Russian driving on the wrong side of the road in Thailand. I was on a moped with no helmet on. Managed to roll over the hood and up over the roof and emerged with just some cuts on my foot. Bike was obliterated. People in the bar beside where it happened said they thought I was dead for sure. Were amazed when I popped up from behind the car. Still no idea how I survived. 

6/18/19 1:01 AM
4/22/07
EFM -

Got attacked by a mob of 30 people r so in an alley in Jakarta.  Brother got stabbed, i had a large rock (a foot wide or so) thrown at me and hit me in the head.  Both had bottles and fists tonthe head.  Lots of blood.  Cab driver tried to stop it and help and they killed him.

Was in a car that flipped at least 3 times at 70mph.  I was lying down in the back with the seats folded down lying down asleep in the trunk/ back seat.  

What the hell did you do, and how did it end? 

6/18/19 1:29 AM
9/12/12
soreshins -

Got hit head on by a drunk Russian driving on the wrong side of the road in Thailand. I was on a moped with no helmet on. Managed to roll over the hood and up over the roof and emerged with just some cuts on my foot. Bike was obliterated. People in the bar beside where it happened said they thought I was dead for sure. Were amazed when I popped up from behind the car. Still no idea how I survived. 

Dang that's crazy! 

6/18/19 1:33 AM
9/8/13

Recently rolled an UTV at 40mph into a little creek and was trapped upside down. Was trapped in with the seatbelts and maybe would have drown if not for a passerby saving us.

6/18/19 4:14 AM
2/20/09

My ex married the guy after me and had a kid.

I still get shivers....

6/18/19 6:57 AM
11/30/06

Feb of 05 I got blown up. End of the deployment. Nothing had happened for a month or two and we got complacent. Had to grab two guys and take them to the fob. One dude had one foot and couldn’t make the 5mile walk back. Coc told us to take his bango truck. 

Here is the video. I’m the one in the middle of the video with the saw on the roof of the bongo. 

https://youtu.be/xLIvJqv7Mxo

6/18/19 6:59 AM
11/30/06

Also I walked away mostly unscathed. No serious injuries to any of us. They placed the ied upside down. Lucky ducky 

6/18/19 7:05 AM
2/27/13
qcddog03 -

Feb of 05 I got blown up. End of the deployment. Nothing had happened for a month or two and we got complacent. Had to grab two guys and take them to the fob. One dude had one foot and couldn’t make the 5mile walk back. Coc told us to take his bango truck. 

Here is the video. I’m the one in the middle of the video with the saw on the roof of the bongo. 

Just making best guesses here:

fob = forward operating base?

saw = machine gun?

Not sure what coc stands for.

Cool story though, and extremely lucky!

6/18/19 7:12 AM
11/30/06
Banjaxo -
qcddog03 -

Just making best guesses here:

fob = forward operating base?

saw = machine gun?

Not sure what coc stands for.

Cool story though, and extremely lucky!

You got it bud! Coc= combat operations center. 

6/18/19 8:43 AM
11/15/04
Captain Epic -

A few years back my wife and I were headed to the mall to go shopping. We were trying to hurry because we had a babysitter for the kids finally and wanted to take advantage. We were both pretty hungry so we were going to grab something to eat at the food courts. We were just about to turn into the mall driveway when at the last minute a thought popped into my head: "let's grab Costco hot dogs". My wife wholeheartedly agreed so we went left at the last moment instead of right into the mall parking lot.

We were eating our costco dogs on our way to the mall when we got a phone call. One of our kids got sick, saddened we turned away and drove home. On our drive home we passed 10 cop cars. I couldn't believe there was so many in a row and knew something serious had happened. 

We got home to find out someone had went into our mall with a hockey mask and an ar-15 and shot up the food court. A mass shooting happened right at the time we "randomly" decided to eat elsewhere. When I think about it I thank God for looking out and for providing delicious hot dogs so reasonably priced.

I thought this was going to be about dodging colon cancer from the Costco hotdogs 

6/18/19 9:07 AM
1/5/11

On a ladder, working on a ceiling fixture in my garage. New construction garage door (new springs, everything installed by pro).

A bolt on other side of garage just randomly snapped. A large metal frame snapped, shot by my head at an incredible rate of speed. Felt the breeze as it blew by. Completely random, if I was 6 inches to the side it easily could have taken out a large piece of skull.

6/18/19 9:39 AM
11/20/13
donkypunch55 -

I still get shivers....

Holy shit.... this one, by far, is the most amazing “dodge” that I have read so far.   You lucky lucky bastard.... I bet every breath just feels like a gift. 

6/18/19 11:29 AM
1/1/01
I did not quite dodge it, but the damage was surprisingly light.

https://i.imgur.com/1qB91Qx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LFhTBIG.jpg
6/18/19 11:35 AM
2/20/09
Rut Roh -
donkypunch55 -

I still get shivers....

Holy shit.... this one, by far, is the most amazing “dodge” that I have read so far.   You lucky lucky bastard.... I bet every breath just feels like a gift. 

This man has also looked evil in the eye and lived to tell the tale.

Edited: 6/18/19 11:37 AM
4/13/12
ShanTheMan -
EFM -

What the hell did you do, and how did it end? 

we were walking out of a club and a kid snatched a hat off our friends head and ran towards a neighborhood down an alley.  not thinking, we jumped in a cab and went down the alley looking for him.  about half way down we found him, jumped out of the cab ran after him towards the entrance of the alley.  we caught him and snatched the hat from him.  we ran back to the cab (~200 yards) but the kid chased after us and started yelling 'get them, they took my hat'.  next think we knew we were surrounded and the cab was gone.  they started in on us quickly.  as soon as i saw my brother get stabbed i hulked out and just started swinging and running.  brother followed.  we ran and punched our way out of there.  i'm 6'4" back then about 190 so i was 2x the size of most of them.  it was sort of like fighting off a bunch of children.  eventually they gave up chase and we made it to the other end of the alley and flagged down a bus and went to the hospital.  i had a yellow button up shirt on that was now completely red.

what we didn't realize at the time was that a girl i had picked up earlier in the night and was in the cab with us, got out of the cab when we did and was in the giant mob.  i have no recollection of this.  anyway, after we ran, they figured out she was with us and started slapping her around.  a baijia (like a tuk tuk) driver stopped to help her and they robbed and killed him.  i left the country 2 days later.

6/18/19 11:47 AM
11/9/17
qcddog03 - 

Damn! Nothing like a concussive blast out of nowhere eh? Please try to remind these idiots around here that beat the drums of war because they think its cool that it is indeed NOT cool!

Glad you guys made it, that was too close for comfort!
6/18/19 1:39 PM
4/24/07

I caught a ricochet near my nuts my first time going to the range. It landed in my inner thigh, Didn't break skin or anything but I certainly felt it.

6/18/19 1:45 PM
7/24/16
Captain Epic -

Tell me about a time when you dodged a bullet, literal or figurative. Close call stories, let's have em.

Making big laydowns at the poker table, ala Phil Hellmuth.

6/18/19 2:02 PM
1/1/01

The handle on my dehumidifier broke when I was dumping out the water, and 1.5 gallons of water spilled all over my receiver and the power strip it was plugged into.  Without thinking I bent over and turned off the power strip.  I probably should have been electrocuted and died, but instead it all worked out. 

I poured the water out of my receiver, blew dry it for a few minutes, waited 24 hours and plugged it back in.  10 years later it still works like a charm. Denon receivers are the best.

6/18/19 2:04 PM
11/30/06
PelosiesPanties -
qcddog03 - 

Damn! Nothing like a concussive blast out of nowhere eh? Please try to remind these idiots around here that beat the drums of war because they think its cool that it is indeed NOT cool!

Glad you guys made it, that was too close for comfort!

Right. War hawks make me giggle. How many rounds have the majority of them bad units sent down range. Not many is my guess.