OtherGround Forums Stories: Dodged Bullets

6/18/19 11:37 PM
4/21/10

In

6/19/19 1:14 AM
4/13/12
jcblass - Walked into a gas station one Friday night. I was a young college student living near Miami. This particular gas station was near Biscayne Blvd, by the infamous Denny's that was featured in Cocaine Cowboys.

A few of us were going drinking at some shithole indie rock bar called "The Spider Pussy" or something, but realized we needed cash. No biggie I thought, I will just run into this gas station and pull out some money from the ATM.

I walk in, see the ATM is in the far back corner of the gas station. As I am in there 3 big black dudes walk in and just start pulling shit off the racks and stuffing them in their pants. They are blindly taking whatever they want, chips, candy bars, headphones...

I can see this all going down from the back of the gas station. As these dudes are grabbing shit, I can hear the Indian cashier yelling at them over the microphone..."you can't hab dat, you must pay, you must pay..." the black dudes are yelling back, "man fuck that, we ain't paying for shit..."

Luckily for the cashier he can talk tough because he is enclosed in a bullet proof box in the middle of the gas station. So while he is arguing and yelling at these dudes stealing, he locks the doors, no one can leave.

Eventually the black dudes and the Indian guy are yelling face to face through the glass, the black dudes demanding he opens the door, the Indian dude demanding they pay or he "call the cops..."

Finally one of the big black dudes reaches in his pants and pulls out a hand gun...he is waving it around demanding the cashier opens the door before he "shoots this bitch up..." My heart is beating, no one has seen me yet, but I know the automatic door won't open.

I eventually got enough nerve to try and get the fuck out of there and while all three guys were at the little slit in the bullet proof glass yelling at the cashier, I scooted by and got to the doors. I am frantically motioning to the fucking cashier to open the god damn doors and he is just looking at me. However, as this is happening, a fucking 6'3 man is walking up to the gas station in a full on clown costume, hair, make up...I am thinking "WTF is going on, now who the fuck is this asshole.." Finally the cashier opens the door, I squeeze through them right as the clown walked up...

Have no idea what happened after that, but it was about to be a shootout between an Indian cashier, 3 big black dudes, and a 6'3 clown.

That is a ucking crazy story.

6/19/19 3:39 AM
1/1/01

ttt

6/19/19 9:14 AM
1/1/01
Dryfly - 
mglaw - 
During a vehicle chase with 2 burglary suspects, the passenger shot at us several times.  1 round hit EXACTLY on my rear view mirror causing it to fly off and hit my partner.  He thought he had been shot.  As a result of some return fire from my partner, across my chest, I lost my ears that day.

Been hit by 4 drunk drivers but still in pretty decent shape.

Most recently....I had pain in my left armpit.  Doctors said it was probably from one of the accidents.  I persisted.  An EKG, Stress test and Nuclear stress test later, they tried to send me to an Ortho.  I persisted.  They finally sent me for a heart Cath and found I was 80% blocked in my Widow Maker.  That was a big dodge for me. 

Just holy shit at getting hit 4 damn times by drunk drivers.

That may be some kind of record, one I am sure you could have done without.

Glad you are good.

3 of those accidents were in the police car while one was in my personal car.  2 of them were kind of bad while 2 were not so bad.

6/19/19 9:25 AM
8/20/03
jcblass - Walked into a gas station one Friday night. I was a young college student living near Miami. This particular gas station was near Biscayne Blvd, by the infamous Denny's that was featured in Cocaine Cowboys.

A few of us were going drinking at some shithole indie rock bar called "The Spider Pussy" or something, but realized we needed cash. No biggie I thought, I will just run into this gas station and pull out some money from the ATM.

I walk in, see the ATM is in the far back corner of the gas station. As I am in there 3 big black dudes walk in and just start pulling shit off the racks and stuffing them in their pants. They are blindly taking whatever they want, chips, candy bars, headphones...

I can see this all going down from the back of the gas station. As these dudes are grabbing shit, I can hear the Indian cashier yelling at them over the microphone..."you can't hab dat, you must pay, you must pay..." the black dudes are yelling back, "man fuck that, we ain't paying for shit..."

Luckily for the cashier he can talk tough because he is enclosed in a bullet proof box in the middle of the gas station. So while he is arguing and yelling at these dudes stealing, he locks the doors, no one can leave.

Eventually the black dudes and the Indian guy are yelling face to face through the glass, the black dudes demanding he opens the door, the Indian dude demanding they pay or he "call the cops..."

Finally one of the big black dudes reaches in his pants and pulls out a hand gun...he is waving it around demanding the cashier opens the door before he "shoots this bitch up..." My heart is beating, no one has seen me yet, but I know the automatic door won't open.

I eventually got enough nerve to try and get the fuck out of there and while all three guys were at the little slit in the bullet proof glass yelling at the cashier, I scooted by and got to the doors. I am frantically motioning to the fucking cashier to open the god damn doors and he is just looking at me. However, as this is happening, a fucking 6'3 man is walking up to the gas station in a full on clown costume, hair, make up...I am thinking "WTF is going on, now who the fuck is this asshole.." Finally the cashier opens the door, I squeeze through them right as the clown walked up...

Have no idea what happened after that, but it was about to be a shootout between an Indian cashier, 3 big black dudes, and a 6'3 clown.

I need to know what happened after...I mean... I NEED to know...

6/19/19 12:57 PM
11/28/03

well i fell out a window whan i was about 5

fell 10 feet onto concrete

fractured my skull

other than that, no problems

6/19/19 2:35 PM
12/6/14

I fell through the ice in the middle of a lake when I was in like 3rd grade. I kept trying to pull myself out but the ice would break off a shelf and it would slowly sink. After this happened multiple times I finally was able to spread my weight and pull myself out. Ambulance arrived and heated me back up. They said I was within a minute of hyperemia. I still had all my winter clothes on too. I almost passed out walking to the house.

6/19/19 3:44 PM
1/1/01
David@accu - 
Dryfly - 
David@accu - 

I caught a ricochet near my nuts my first time going to the range. It landed in my inner thigh, Didn't break skin or anything but I certainly felt it.

This right here is why I never have and never will shoot at a gun range. (other than while passing hunters safety when I was 10 or 11) I have zero desire to ever even see one, let alone set foot on one.

So glad I live where I do. Want to shoot? Pick a spot and go for it. Mountains in every direction. Super easy to find a place to shoot all alone, with no one close enough to shoot at you, with a mountain as a backstop.

Or just sit in a lawn chair in my yard and shoot. Yes it is perfectly legal and safe.

Yeah it didn't exactly inspire confidence in returning but did anyhow. I would much rather shoot outside. What state are you in?

Utah
6/19/19 4:10 PM
12/6/14
Captain Canuck -
jcblass - Walked into a gas station one Friday night. I was a young college student living near Miami. This particular gas station was near Biscayne Blvd, by the infamous Denny's that was featured in Cocaine Cowboys.

Lmao I would think I was drugged or dreaming for a second

6/19/19 4:13 PM
11/19/18
Captain Epic -

A few years back my wife and I were headed to the mall to go shopping. We were trying to hurry because we had a babysitter for the kids finally and wanted to take advantage. We were both pretty hungry so we were going to grab something to eat at the food courts. We were just about to turn into the mall driveway when at the last minute a thought popped into my head: "let's grab Costco hot dogs". My wife wholeheartedly agreed so we went left at the last moment instead of right into the mall parking lot.

We were eating our costco dogs on our way to the mall when we got a phone call. One of our kids got sick, saddened we turned away and drove home. On our drive home we passed 10 cop cars. I couldn't believe there was so many in a row and knew something serious had happened. 

We got home to find out someone had went into our mall with a hockey mask and an ar-15 and shot up the food court. A mass shooting happened right at the time we "randomly" decided to eat elsewhere. When I think about it I thank God for looking out and for providing delicious hot dogs so reasonably priced.

Clackamas town center?

6/19/19 4:25 PM
1/18/03

When I was 5 or 6 my mother took me to the bank. I was looking out the window and a wood paneled station wagon (I think that's what they're called) goes by and they opened fire on the bank. My mother dove on top of me and the window above us exploded. I remember the security guard getting a face full of glass. My mother says that the robbers entered the bank and robbed it, but I don't remember that part.

6/19/19 11:29 PM
9/8/02
JiuJitsuHeyZeus - 
Captain Canuck -

Lmao I would think I was drugged or dreaming for a second

It was honestly surreal, it seemed right out of the movie "GO" or something. Oddly, knowing the area this could have happened every night for all I knew.

When I saw the clown, that was it for me, I just remember motioning for the dude to release the automatic door and the clown dude was walking up aggressively.

Maybe he was there to rob the place? Who knows, I squeezed out and the clown walked up, he didn't understand what was going on and was trying to pry the doors open a bit.

Everything is still very vivid in my mind. I think it would be cool to have a netflix series called "vignette" and it would be small shorts from people's memories of interesting encounters...

I think it would be fantastic.
6/20/19 6:42 AM
9/1/13

sub

6/20/19 9:41 AM
2/8/08

We used to meet at an In N Out near our school after HS football games. It was always packed with kids, and loud. I walked up this night, not really paying attention, with my friends randomly scattered around.
Some crazy mexican comes running from the parking lot toward me, and lifts a shotgun. He shot toward the main street while standing about 3 feet away from me. The sound and shock almost made me crumble/piss myself. Whoever he was shooting at, shot back. The building behind me had holes in it, and the bullets seemed to have hit on either side of me. I have no idea exactly how close they were to hitting me, but close enough.

6/20/19 8:51 PM
9/12/12
PurplePunch -
Captain Epic -

A few years back my wife and I were headed to the mall to go shopping. We were trying to hurry because we had a babysitter for the kids finally and wanted to take advantage. We were both pretty hungry so we were going to grab something to eat at the food courts. We were just about to turn into the mall driveway when at the last minute a thought popped into my head: "let's grab Costco hot dogs". My wife wholeheartedly agreed so we went left at the last moment instead of right into the mall parking lot.

We were eating our costco dogs on our way to the mall when we got a phone call. One of our kids got sick, saddened we turned away and drove home. On our drive home we passed 10 cop cars. I couldn't believe there was so many in a row and knew something serious had happened. 

We got home to find out someone had went into our mall with a hockey mask and an ar-15 and shot up the food court. A mass shooting happened right at the time we "randomly" decided to eat elsewhere. When I think about it I thank God for looking out and for providing delicious hot dogs so reasonably priced.

Clackamas town center?

Yeah! It was crazy. Has a few friends inside when it happened too.

6/20/19 10:17 PM
11/19/18
Captain Epic -
PurplePunch -
Captain Epic -

Clackamas town center?

Yeah! It was crazy. Has a few friends inside when it happened too.

Same, my buddie was in Macy's at the time and saw it go down. That's crazy!

6/20/19 10:34 PM
6/29/05
EFM -

Got attacked by a mob of 30 people r so in an alley in Jakarta.  Brother got stabbed, i had a large rock (a foot wide or so) thrown at me and hit me in the head.  Both had bottles and fists tonthe head.  Lots of blood.  Cab driver tried to stop it and help and they killed him.

Was in a car that flipped at least 3 times at 70mph.  I was lying down in the back with the seats folded down lying down asleep in the trunk/ back seat.  

WT..?! 

In!

6/20/19 11:16 PM
9/12/12
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME - We used to meet at an In N Out near our school after HS football games. It was always packed with kids, and loud. I walked up this night, not really paying attention, with my friends randomly scattered around.
Some crazy mexican comes running from the parking lot toward me, and lifts a shotgun. He shot toward the main street while standing about 3 feet away from me. The sound and shock almost made me crumble/piss myself. Whoever he was shooting at, shot back. The building behind me had holes in it, and the bullets seemed to have hit on either side of me. I have no idea exactly how close they were to hitting me, but close enough.

This is insane! Your life is a gift bro.

6/21/19 1:25 AM
2/20/09
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME - We used to meet at an In N Out near our school after HS football games. It was always packed with kids, and loud. I walked up this night, not really paying attention, with my friends randomly scattered around.

That's some Jules pulp fiction shit.

6/21/19 1:57 AM
4/22/13

In

6/21/19 3:37 AM
3/27/03
EFM -
ShanTheMan -
EFM -

Got attacked by a mob of 30 people r so in an alley in Jakarta.  Brother got stabbed, i had a large rock (a foot wide or so) thrown at me and hit me in the head.  Both had bottles and fists tonthe head.  Lots of blood.  Cab driver tried to stop it and help and they killed him.

Was in a car that flipped at least 3 times at 70mph.  I was lying down in the back with the seats folded down lying down asleep in the trunk/ back seat.  

What the hell did you do, and how did it end? 

we were walking out of a club and a kid snatched a hat off our friends head and ran towards a neighborhood down an alley.  not thinking, we jumped in a cab and went down the alley looking for him.  about half way down we found him, jumped out of the cab ran after him towards the entrance of the alley.  we caught him and snatched the hat from him.  we ran back to the cab (~200 yards) but the kid chased after us and started yelling 'get them, they took my hat'.  next think we knew we were surrounded and the cab was gone.  they started in on us quickly.  as soon as i saw my brother get stabbed i hulked out and just started swinging and running.  brother followed.  we ran and punched our way out of there.  i'm 6'4" back then about 190 so i was 2x the size of most of them.  it was sort of like fighting off a bunch of children.  eventually they gave up chase and we made it to the other end of the alley and flagged down a bus and went to the hospital.  i had a yellow button up shirt on that was now completely red.

what we didn't realize at the time was that a girl i had picked up earlier in the night and was in the cab with us, got out of the cab when we did and was in the giant mob.  i have no recollection of this.  anyway, after we ran, they figured out she was with us and started slapping her around.  a baijia (like a tuk tuk) driver stopped to help her and they robbed and killed him.  i left the country 2 days later.

You don't often hear good things about Indonesians 

6/21/19 9:23 AM
2/8/08
donkypunch55 - 

That's some Jules pulp fiction shit.

Ha! It wasnt quite that dramtic, but scared the pooh out of me.

The most disturbing part and what I can still see clearly is the look on the Mexican dudes face. He was shooting to kill and had a very determined look in his eyes about it. It definitely didn't look like this was his first time.
6/21/19 9:42 AM
2/8/08

Thinking about all this reminds me of another HS story. Technically, it wasn't an actual bullet, but still.

I was a freshman in HS and standing near a small line while my friend was waiting to get something to eat. From behind, another one of my friends came running up and launched himself in the air, turning his ass toward my back, and slammed into me. I went flying forward, and took out a cholo who was holding his girlfriend. Both of them laid out, with me laying on the ground next to them. We had campus police on bikes, and they came up before anything else could happen, but this cholo was telling me that he was going to kill me. For the rest of that day, I was told over and again by others, that he wasn't kidding. This was a Friday.

Monday rolls around, and that same cholo was killed over the weekend. I had never been so relieved to hear someone was dead. Cholos wear these black sweatshirts with white writing in Old English that say In Loving Memory of who ever died. I saw these all 4 years with his name on it...a constant reminder of a close call.

6/21/19 9:50 AM
12/6/14
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME - Thinking about all this reminds me of another HS story. Technically, it wasn't an actual bullet, but still.

I was a freshman in HS and standing near a small line while my friend was waiting to get something to eat. From behind, another one of my friends came running up and launched himself in the air, turning his ass toward my back, and slammed into me. I went flying forward, and took out a cholo who was holding his girlfriend. Both of them laid out, with me laying on the ground next to them. We had campus police on bikes, and they came up before anything else could happen, but this cholo was telling me that he was going to kill me. For the rest of that day, I was told over and again by others, that he wasn't kidding. This was a Friday.

Monday rolls around, and that same cholo was killed over the weekend. I had never been so relieved to hear someone was dead. Cholos wear these black sweatshirts with white writing in Old English that say In Loving Memory of who ever died. I saw these all 4 years with his name on it...a constant reminder of a close call.

Lol karma?

6/21/19 3:26 PM
11/30/06
ABCTT_sakurabas ear -
qcddog03 -

Feb of 05 I got blown up. End of the deployment. Nothing had happened for a month or two and we got complacent. Had to grab two guys and take them to the fob. One dude had one foot and couldn't make the 5mile walk back. Coc told us to take his bango truck. 

Here is the video. I'm the one in the middle of the video with the saw on the roof of the bongo. 

Holy fuck dude.  I cannot even imagine. 

Havent read further and maybe someone has asked already, but do you think those vehicles were staged so you had to go far right to hit the IED?  

Damn man, that was crazy. I to am glad they buried it upside down. 

Thank you for your service

Naw they were full of kids coming from a bday party. It doesn't show in the vid but across the cannal is a little bazaar. That's where they remote detonated the 4 120mm. Punk ass army jumped in there humvees and took off. Didn't even check on us.