OtherGround Forums Students Suspended for Honoring 9/11 First Respond

13 days ago
1/25/04

https://local12.com/news/local/football-players-suspended-after-carrying-thin-blue-thin-red-lines-flags-at-game-cincinnati

Football players suspended from team for carrying Thin Blue, Thin Red lines flags at game

MORROW, Ohio (WKRC) — Some local high school football players are finding that their support for first responders is coming at a huge cost.

The boys are now suspended from their team after not heeding a warning to leave the Thin Blue Line and Thin Red Line flags that represent fallen firefighters and police officers off the field.

When the Little Miami High School football team took the field Friday, Sept. 11, a couple of players carried alongside the American flag a Thin Blue Line and Thin Red Line flags.

“Were you trying to make some kind of a political statement here?” Local 12 asked Brady Williams, a senior cornerback.

“No,” he answered quickly. “Not at all. I was just doing it to honor the people that lost their lives 19 years ago.“

Williams was holding the Thin Blue Line flag as he rushed onto the field Friday. His father is a police officer, and he says he wanted to honor all the cops who lost their lives trying to save others on 9/11.

Jarad Bentley carried the Thin Red Line flag. 

“I was all for it,” he said. “Because my dad is a firefighter, and if it had been him killed on 9/11, I would have wanted someone to do it for him.”

The problem is, the boys had asked the school permission prior to the game and they were denied and told if they defied the order, there would be consequences.

“Listen,” Williams said. “I don’t care what my consequences are. So long as my message gets across, I’ll be happy.” 

Williams and Bentley heard from the athletic director Monday afternoon and received an indefinite suspension. Local 12 had spoken with the superintendent a few hours earlier.

“We can’t have students who decide to do something anyway after they’ve been told that they shouldn’t be doing it,” said Gregory Power. 

Power says he saw the flags as symbols of a political point of view and didn’t want to set a precedent.

“We did not want to place ourselves in a circumstance where another family might want a different flag to come out of the tunnel, one that may be [one that] many other families may not agree with from a political perspective,” Power explained.

After Williams’ mother took to Facebook, Power says he is finding a lot of people don’t agree with his point of view and have sent hate emails and voicemails. Williams and his teammates may be finding the benefits of standing up for a cause outweigh the cost.

“I realize that this was more than just a football team; these guys are now my brothers.”

13 days ago
11/19/05

How dare they!!!!! Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

13 days ago
11/20/13

So they got suspended for doing exactly what they were told not to do? This doesn't seem like something a conservative would be interested in.

13 days ago
3/18/14
ksacs revenge -

So they got suspended for doing exactly what they were told not to do? This doesn't seem like something a conservative would be interested in.

And they accepted the consequences. Good on them standing up for what they believe in even if it costs them everything. 

13 days ago
11/17/10
ksacs revenge -

ill actually agree with you on that technicality

although I'd hope that principal or whoever would be consistent across the board

and id hope he'd realize that, in the context of honoring 9-11 victims, an American flag with the blue or red lines is NOT political, considering it was an attack on the country , as a whole.

13 days ago
11/17/10
rudiger -
ksacs revenge -

And they accepted the consequences. Good on them standing up for what they believe in even if it costs them everything. 

and this

Edited: 13 days ago
11/8/09

As stupid as the hand wringing school official’s reasoning was, they were told not to do something and the kids knowingly disobeyed.

Why shouldn’t they be punished?  The kids believed in something and stood up for it and that’s great. That said they can still be taught that not listening to authorities comes with consequences. 

It seems like there are more and more people out there that think the should just follow the rules they feel like following. Then those same people cry when they suffer the consequences of picking and choosing the rules to follow.

EDIT- It seems these kids are taking it like they should and it’s the mom who’s bitching and moaning. That’s bad parenting. 

13 days ago
11/9/05

They've already been reinstated.

13 days ago
10/16/07
In Limbo -
ksacs revenge -

ill actually agree with you on that technicality

although I'd hope that principal or whoever would be consistent across the board

and id hope he'd realize that, in the context of honoring 9-11 victims, an American flag with the blue or red lines is NOT political, considering it was an attack on the country , as a whole.

the  fact that the American flag is currently seen as a republican symbol is fascinating

13 days ago
1/1/01

Before I have a kneejerk reaction to this, there are a few basic questions. Did they allow other non-school symbols in this game or in the past and was it vetted? We should know if they have taken such a hardline approach in the past. They may not have allowed anything.

Also, indefinite suspensions? They need to make a decision about an amount of time. They should not be suspended longer than someone is for fighting in school or some other form of violence that actually deters from a safe learning environment.

13 days ago
7/15/04

What's really stupid and bizarre is how supporting police and firefighters is now considered political.

And sadly, it is. Because a major political party in the US and its deranged followers have decided to demonize police and call violent "protesters" heroes. They have decided to make martyrs of crackhead violent sex offenders who fight back against the police. They have decided to not to prosecute violent rioters, looters, and arsonists but want to prosecute those who dare defend themselves from their insanity.

Yeah, it is fucking political, unfortunately.  And the left and their insanity they have brought to this country can go straight to hell for it.

13 days ago
3/1/10

There was another article that said the two kids had parents who were a cop and a firefighter.

Say what you will about the kids violating policy, but common sense should have prevailed here. Paying tribute to first responders on 9/11 should not be political.

Edited: 13 days ago
9/5/11

It’s 9/11, the school should’ve done something to honor the day on their own, without kids having to ask. 

That said, I’m tired of kids having voices. And I’m tired of sports events being venues for social expression. Let’s be honest, this thread looks very different if these boys are kneeling.

Show up, shut up, play the fucking game. 

Save the rest for the school fucking paper. 

13 days ago
3/20/15
rudiger - 
ksacs revenge -

And that's the difference with the poster above you, liberals will not accept the cosequences.... they throw a hissy fit, loot and burn down cities.....

13 days ago
1/13/04
King Trav - 

As stupid as the hand wringing school official’s reasoning was, they were told not to do something and the kids knowingly disobeyed.

Why shouldn’t they be punished?  The kids believed in something and stood up for it and that’s great. That said they can still be taught that not listening to authorities comes with consequences. 

It seems like there are more and more people out there that think the should just follow the rules they feel like following. Then those same people cry when they suffer the consequences of picking and choosing the rules to follow.

EDIT- It seems these kids are taking it like they should and it’s the mom who’s bitching and moaning. That’s bad parenting. 

Your extremely level headed and I do agree with you if times were normal but they are not.

I didn't read the actual story (only the headline) but I commend the boys for doing this and consider it a peaceful protest and they should be applauded..

13 days ago
1/13/04
VTCO - 

There was another article that said the two kids had parents who were a cop and a firefighter.

Say what you will about the kids violating policy, but common sense should have prevailed here. Paying tribute to first responders on 9/11 should not be political.

"Paying tribute to first responders on 9/11 should not be political."

13 days ago
1/1/01

NEVER FORGET

13 days ago
1/13/04
NiteProwleR -

NEVER FORGET

13 days ago
1/2/07
TexDeuce -

What's really stupid and bizarre is how supporting police and firefighters is now considered political.

And sadly, it is. Because a major political party in the US and its deranged followers have decided to demonize police and call violent "protesters" heroes. They have decided to make martyrs of crackhead violent sex offenders who fight back against the police. They have decided to not to prosecute violent rioters, looters, and arsonists but want to prosecute those who dare defend themselves from their insanity.

Yeah, it is fucking political, unfortunately.  And the left and their insanity they have brought to this country can go straight to hell for it.

I hope more stories like this come out.  Rational people who are in the middle need to see how fucked up the education system is and the modern left wing are.  Moderates need to take back control and average people who love and respect first responders and also abhor racism will see the modern left has swung the pedelum way too far.

13 days ago
8/22/13
King Trav -

Thats not bad parenting at all actually. 

13 days ago
11/8/09
Graduate1 -
King Trav - 

Your extremely level headed and I do agree with you if times were normal but they are not.

I didn't read the actual story (only the headline) but I commend the boys for doing this and consider it a peaceful protest and they should be applauded..

I think they should’ve been allowed to wear the flags in the first place, but they took it upon themselves to ask permission. When they didn’t like the answer they got they made the decision to buck authority. When you buck authority there should be consequences. 

I commend and applaud the boys for standing up for what they believed and for taking their punishment maturely. 

As others have said, I hope the school district is consistent and does the same for all students no matter what the cause is. If not then that district is doing the community an even bigger disservice than they did when they wouldn’t allow the flags to be worn. 

13 days ago
8/22/13
Skillrules -

Before I have a kneejerk reaction to this, there are a few basic questions. Did they allow other non-school symbols in this game or in the past and was it vetted? We should know if they have taken such a hardline approach in the past. They may not have allowed anything.

Also, indefinite suspensions? They need to make a decision about an amount of time. They should not be suspended longer than someone is for fighting in school or some other form of violence that actually deters from a safe learning environment.

It was a one day suspension theyre already reinstated. 

13 days ago
1/13/04
King Trav - 
Graduate1 -
King Trav - 

I think they should’ve been allowed to wear the flags in the first place, but they took it upon themselves to ask permission. When they didn’t like the answer they got they made the decision to buck authority. When you buck authority there should be consequences. 

I commend and applaud the boys for standing up for what they believed and for taking their punishment maturely. 

As others have said, I hope the school district is consistent and does the same for all students no matter what the cause is. If not then that district is doing the community an even bigger disservice than they did when they wouldn’t allow the flags to be worn. 

Playing the devil's advocate but fuck the rules. Cops are getting killed, millionaire's are kneeling for a false narrative and rioting and looting (and protesting during a pandemic) is being okayed.

Again, your level headed and in normal times disobedience should be enforced so I totally understand what you are trying to say..

13 days ago
8/22/13
King Trav -
Graduate1 -
King Trav - 

Well the authority got bucked back and ended up changing their tune in less than a day. 

13 days ago
11/8/09
Tight Butthole -
King Trav -
Graduate1 -
King Trav - 

Well the authority got bucked back and ended up changing their tune in less than a day. 

Oh good. Mom to the rescue. Ha!  

I had an apprentice once who’s mom came to the shop and quit for him because he didn’t like working for us. We ordered him around too much according to him according to her.