OtherGround Forums Students demand firing of professors @police rally

9/14/20 5:04 PM
12/2/05

Students Demand Skidmore College Fire an Art Professor for Observing a Pro-Cop Rally

David and Andrea Peterson didn't even participate in the rally—they just watched it. The students don't care.

David Peterson is an art professor at Skidmore College, a private liberal arts college in Saratoga Springs, New York. In late July, the professor and his wife, Andrea Peterson, attended a "Back the Blue" rally—not as supporters of the cause, they say, but as curious spectators.

"Given the painful events that continue to unfold across this nation, I guess we just felt compelled to see first-hand how all of this was playing out in our own community," he later told the student newspaper.

They stood on the edges of event, watching pro- and anti-law enforcement demonstrators argue with each other. After 20 minutes, the Petersons left to eat dinner.

But unbeknownst to Peterson, the couple's attendance at the rally was noticed. Now Skidmore students are demanding that both Peterson be fired for "engaging in hateful conduct that threatens Black Skidmore students," according to Times-Union columnist Chris Churchill, who wrote about the controversy.

Andrea Peterson is not an employee of the college, according to Churchill.

"The Petersons weren't wearing pro-police T-shirts," notes Churchill. "They weren't carrying a banner, holding a sign or waving a black-and-blue flag. They appear to just be listening. But merely listening to an opinion that some Skidmore students find objectionable is apparently enough to get a professor in hot water."

Students have circulated their demands on social media, and even taped a note to the door of Peterson's advising his students that they are "crossing a campus-wide picket line and breaking the boycott against Professor David Peterson." Peterson has attempted to make it clear that his presence at the rally did not constitute an endorsement of it; this matters very little to the students. An opinion piece in the student newspaper included his explanation, but still accused him of failing to "reconcile with his behavior." That piece also claimed that "there have been many claims of Mr. Peterson making students of color and queer students feel uncomfortable and unheard in his art prior to this," but did not elaborate.

"I still have no indication of how [David and Andrea Peterson] plan to take accountability for their actions and make their a safe space for our communities of color," wrote the student.

In any case, the boycott is evidently succeeding: Peterson said that most of his students have dropped his Those who think the boycott is ridiculous are afraid to speak up, one student told Churchill. Skidmore's administration defended his free speech rights in a statement, but is nevertheless investigating the accusations of bias in the >

If this is how they treat a professor who is insufficiently committed to their causes, one wonders how progressive students would treat a professor who holds ardently conservative views—or whether they could peacefully engage with another student, administrator, or any human being who disagrees with them. One gets the sense that a certain kind of liberal arts education is, for some extremely sensitive far-left students, no longer preparing them for the real world, or at least not in the sense this was traditionally intended. Indeed, the real world had better be prepared for them.

9/14/20 5:08 PM
1/1/01
I have no words to express how fucked up the left wing idiots have become. I am not optimistic about the future of our country.
9/14/20 5:09 PM
11/28/03

why give in to their demands?

its not like theyve got hostage theyre killing off

9/14/20 5:09 PM
1/1/01

Tolerance and understanding of opposing views; a liberal tenet.  Oh wait.

9/14/20 5:11 PM
4/20/20
Jed - I have no words to express how fucked up the left wing idiots have become. I am not optimistic about the future of our country.

Yeah there's not a lot to be optimistic about. as our far right wing president just mused it should be illegal to burn the flag. That's right, the conservative standard bearer just shit on the constitutional decree of free speech

9/14/20 5:11 PM
3/15/06

It is about time that we address the far right's dominance in college art departments.

9/14/20 5:12 PM
12/1/05

These kids need a spanking. I’m totally serious. I feel like someone neglected to discipline them. 

9/14/20 5:14 PM
1/9/02

a private art colege is entirely attended by weak, white-guilt ridden children of privilege.

the noble savage

how insulting for blue collar non-white ppl.

9/14/20 5:15 PM
1/1/01
Madmartigan, so you are ok with firing a professor for attending a pro-police rally? No one was talking about Trump.
9/14/20 5:16 PM
12/2/05
madmartigan - 
Jed - I have no words to express how fucked up the left wing idiots have become. I am not optimistic about the future of our country.

Yeah there's not a lot to be optimistic about. as our far right wing president just mused it should be illegal to burn the flag. That's right, the conservative standard bearer just shit on the constitutional decree of free speech

That was fucking retarded when he said that a few months ago. Any thoughts on this story?

9/14/20 5:17 PM
1/9/02
ranier wolfcastle -

theyre holding the administration of that school hoastage. without large amounts of enrolled students they cant pay themselves the large salaries they do for their easy jobs. Most of these concessions are priveleged out-of-touch administators panicking.

9/14/20 5:17 PM
10/3/16

Go to a trade school, skip the bullshit.

9/14/20 5:19 PM
1/1/01
Jed - I have no words to express how fucked up the left wing idiots have become. I am not optimistic about the future of our country.

Same. I'm scared of getting old in this country. They have no empathy. Not exactly a good combination for becoming elderly and needy.
9/14/20 5:20 PM
2/3/16
Samoa -

Sums it up

4/20/20
Samoa -

These people are liberals. They are left wing authoritians

4/20/20

*aren't*

9/14/20 5:21 PM
1/1/01
ranier wolfcastle - 

I ask this every time and they give into their demands constantly.
5/23/07
Samoa - 

seriously....what a pathetic group of people. Fuck im

5/29/18
Jed - Madmartigan, so you are ok with firing a professor for attending a pro-police rally? No one was talking about Trump.

9/14/20 5:22 PM
1/9/02
JitsuGuy -
Jed - I have no words to express how fucked up the left wing idiots have become. I am not optimistic about the future of our country.

Same. I'm scared of getting old in this country. They have no empathy. Not exactly a good combination for becoming elderly and needy.

do you have kids?

if not that sucks

9/14/20 5:23 PM
1/1/01
ranier wolfcastle -

The response to their demands is a simple and stern “no”. 

Not unlike how I talk to my 6 year old. 

Mark

9/14/20 5:24 PM
4/20/20
Fake Pie -
madmartigan - 

That was fucking retarded when he said that a few months ago. Any thoughts on this story?

Yea. I see authoritianism rising on both sides, and hope the center can hold. Fuck the ends of the horseshoe, they'll be the death of the american experiment if too many buy into the ends justifying the means 

9/14/20 5:27 PM
7/29/13

Who gives a fuck what they demand? They either come to or fail. Stop letting the inmates run the prison 

9/14/20 5:30 PM
4/22/17

I've noticed a trend. Any time the left does something repugnant the words "both sides" show up almost immediately. 

9/14/20 5:32 PM
8/3/04

Seems like a bit like the cultural revolution in China where the students formed the red guard that would be used to destroy the lives of their professors and educated elders that they thought opposed them.

https://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-china-cultural-revolution-suicides-snap-story.html