OtherGround Forums Teen Suffers Broken Ribs -- Shoved off 50ft Bridge

8/9/18 6:14 PM
11/23/11

https://youtu.be/hvKvHkqrSBE

Girl, 16, breaks ribs, punctures lung after woman shoves her from Washington bridge

Updated 4:50 PM; Posted 10:26 AM

video 1533770441

0shares

By Shane Dixon Kavanaugh

The Oregonian/OregonLive

Updated 1:25 a.m.

A Washington teen is recovering from near-fatal injuries after a woman shoved her Tuesday off a bridge that spans a popular swimming area in Clark County, the sheriff's office said.

The 50-foot-plunge near Moulton Falls shattered Jordan Holgerson's ribs, punctured her lung and bruised her esophagus, the girl and her mother said.  

The Kalama teen and a group of friends had decided to beat the afternoon heat by going swimming at Moulton Falls Regional Park.

Just before 2:45 p.m., the friends climbed the bridge that spans the Lewis River near the falls, which is a popular spot among swimmers. 

As Holgerson stood at the open side of the railing, she appeared to have second thoughts about jumping, video of the incident shows.

A woman behind Holgerson suddenly pushes her. The girl screams and her arms windmill through the air.

Holgerson's face and chest strike the water first. 

The woman had apparently grown impatient with Jordan's hesitation, Genelle Holgerson, her mother, told The Daily News of Longview.

"She could have killed my daughter," Genelle Holgerson said, adding the woman and her daughter knew one another. 

Sgt. Brent Waddell, a spokesman for the Clark County Sheriff's Office, told The Oregonian/OregonLive the incident is under investigation.

Jordan Holgerson said she might have drowned had someone not swum out to save her. Emergency personnel rushed her to PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center in Vancouver.

"We're lucky she is going to recover and not have permanent injuries," Genelle Holgerson said. 

Jordan previously told KATU (2) that a friend had pushed her off the bridge, but during a Wednesday afternoon news conference organized by PeaceHealth, she declined to talk about what happened or who was on the bridge. 

She did say, however, that she felt like "I could have died easily. ... I'm happy I'm OK."

Jordan said she was "awake and aware" when she hit the water and during the fall was thinking about what she should do.

"In the air I was trying to push myself forward so I could be straight up so my feet hit first, but that didn't work," she said during the news conference. "I went under and I thought I was swimming fine, but I don't know. I couldn't breathe, so that's all I could really think about."

Trauma surgeon MaryClare Sarff, speaking at the news conference, said Jordan was fortunate it wasn't worse.

"When you fall three times your height, 50 percent of people will die. That's usually about 25 feet," Sarff said. Even on water, "when you're falling from (60 feet), that's like falling on concrete. She could have broken her neck, she could have been a quadriplegic."

As far as the attention coming from her story going viral, Jordan said: "I don't really like it. There's too many notifications on my phone. I can't keep up."    

https://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/index.ssf/2018/08/girl_16_breaks_ribs_punctures.html

8/9/18 6:23 PM
1/25/04
"When you fall three times your height, 50 percent of people will die. That's usually about 25 feet," Sarff said.

Who does he perform surgery on, the Nephilim?
8/9/18 6:25 PM
5/22/16

What a cunt. I know we’re dumb when we’re young. But this is inexcusable. 

Also. That’s not 50-60 feet. 30 or so probably. Still completely fucked. But not that high. 

8/9/18 6:27 PM
1/1/01

wow

8/9/18 6:30 PM
1/24/10
Mynewscreenname -

Also. That’s not 50-60 feet. 30 or so probably. Still completely fucked. But not that high. 

Looks like 50 to me 

8/9/18 6:30 PM
7/15/04

8/9/18 6:34 PM
2/19/09

I have hiked over that bridge many times.  it is a popular spot for kids to swim and the bridge is jumped off of all the time.  not smart but what kids are?  The press conference was being filmed today at the hospital my grandfather is in. I walked right by it.  Long story short, kids playing and they pushed her like many friends do every day.  Kids being kids....being stupid.  Nothing to see here.  Press is playing it up...slow news day.

8/9/18 7:31 PM
2/2/15
burk -

I have hiked over that bridge many times.  it is a popular spot for kids to swim and the bridge is jumped off of all the time.  not smart but what kids are?  The press conference was being filmed today at the hospital my grandfather is in. I walked right by it.  Long story short, kids playing and they pushed her like many friends do every day.  Kids being kids....being stupid.  Nothing to see here.  Press is playing it up...slow news day.

The bitch that pushed her wasn't a kid you fucking cabbage. If that was my daughter the bitch would be dead or in hospital.

8/9/18 7:44 PM
11/23/11
Bilge Water -
burk -

The bitch that pushed her wasn't a kid you fucking cabbage. If that was my daughter the bitch would be dead or in hospital.

this.

8/9/18 7:52 PM
12/10/11

Sub

8/9/18 7:53 PM
5/22/16
Wardance5 -
Mynewscreenname -

Looks like 50 to me 

Fair enough. I’m no expert. But we’ve heard 30, 50, and over 60. I’ve jumped many of bridges. From 15 to 57 feet. That isn’t 50 feet. At 50 feet things start looking small 

8/9/18 7:54 PM
11/15/04

He needs an attempted murder charge or there needs to be mob justice, infuriating to watch that. 

8/9/18 8:18 PM
6/29/02

Today's day and age - she should refuse all press interviews.

Lawyer up, and have her attorney state that herr injuries and recovery are currently affecting herr ability to participate in questioning.  ESPECIALLY if she is on pain killers.

Focus on getting better, but also use this time as preparation time to get her story straight with her attorney.

I remember some of when the police insisted on questioning me while I was still in - I think - critical care. - the unit where the doctors aren't real optimistic.  I was only 17.  Had I been older, I would've refused on the basis of altered mental state from the pain killers.  The report the officer wrote was so full of gibberish and incorrect information.  Fortuately my family hired a good attorney.

People should no better than to give statements to anyone these days.

8/9/18 8:41 PM
10/31/13
Mynewscreenname -
Wardance5 -
Mynewscreenname -

Looks like 50 to me 

Fair enough. I’m no expert. But we’ve heard 30, 50, and over 60. I’ve jumped many of bridges. From 15 to 57 feet. That isn’t 50 feet. At 50 feet things start looking small 

If you watch the time mark of the video it takes about 2 seconds from the time she's pushed for her to hit the water.  That is consistent with free fall from ~60 ft.

8/9/18 8:44 PM
11/21/15

How have they not found the person who pushed her yet?

8/9/18 9:40 PM
1/1/01
cfochs -

How have they not found the person who pushed her yet?

Hm? They know her. The police are investigating at this point, i imagine she will be charged.

8/9/18 9:41 PM
5/22/16
Haka Jawaka -
Mynewscreenname -
Wardance5 -
Mynewscreenname -

Looks like 50 to me 

If you watch the time mark of the video it takes about 2 seconds from the time she's pushed for her to hit the water.  That is consistent with free fall from ~60 ft.

I’m not smart enough to time the fall. I hope the girl who pushed her is found. 

I hate to feel like I’m hijacking. But that not 50-60 feet. Anyone who’s stood at 50-60 feet knows the difference. 

I don’t care if it’s 20 feet. You don’t push someone off. But this isn’t 50-60 feet if you ask me. 

8/9/18 9:42 PM
5/22/16
burk -

Will you let us know how high this bridge is?  I’m guessing 30 feet. Is it actually as high as 50-60. 

8/9/18 9:47 PM
2/19/06
Mynewscreenname - 

Edited: 8/9/18 10:02 PM
2/19/06

This looks like the bridge.

8/9/18 10:03 PM
10/31/13
Mynewscreenname -
Haka Jawaka -
Mynewscreenname -
Wardance5 -
Mynewscreenname -

Looks like 50 to me 

I’m not smart enough to time the fall. I hope the girl who pushed her is found. 

I hate to feel like I’m hijacking. But that not 50-60 feet. Anyone who’s stood at 50-60 feet knows the difference. 

I don’t care if it’s 20 feet. You don’t push someone off. But this isn’t 50-60 feet if you ask me. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that the person who pushed her should be found and prosecuted and I'm not questioning your intelligence but, you have repeated your judgement that the height of the fall is less than 60 feet and all you have to do is watch the video again to see that it takes 2 seconds for her to hit the water.  I think you might be judging the height only by looking at the water.  If you watch again and look at the people standing on the ledge in the background you'll notice that they have to be at least 20 ft above the water and the bridge has to be at least 30 ft above them.

8/9/18 10:05 PM
5/22/16
stevezur -
Mynewscreenname - 

Dude. I hate to be “that guy”. It might be 60 feet and I’m totally wrong. But time isn’t enough here. She was pushed. 

What was her velocity forward?  We just don’t know.  We don’t know her weight and force forward. It actually does matter though. 

I’m not saying I’m right. But I’m not wrong either. 

I hate hijacking.  Let the dude who lives there reply. 

8/9/18 10:07 PM
2/19/06

8/9/18 10:08 PM
5/22/16
stevezur -

This looks like the bridge.

That’s closer to 50. Maybe a touch under. But not even close to the 60

8/9/18 10:13 PM
5/22/16
stevezur -

Again. That’s not sixty feet. I’ll totally retract my 30 statement and say over 40. But it’s not higher than 50. Not an inch higher. Mid forties from those videos. 

Ive jumped 57 feet. I’ve jumped 35 a bunch of times. People don’t line up to jump over 50