OtherGround Forums Term Limits - dude shreds Congress

10 days ago
6/30/03

10 days ago
6/11/10

Can’t say I have a problem with that. But will it ever happen? I don’t think so.

10 days ago
3/13/02

Makes sense to me.

10 days ago
1/1/01

x

10 days ago
4/27/15

Won't make much of a difference without drastic lobbying reforms and better transparency and oversight of the intelligence community..

10 days ago
1/12/12

Agreed but it's a pipe dream.

I also feel the same way about life terms for federal judges.  It's ridiculous.

10 days ago
4/3/08

Anyone think those douchebags will vote themselves out of a job? 

10 days ago
1/1/01

His analogy doesn't hold up. There are regular elections, so it's like the employer continues to rehire the same employee they're complaining about 

10 days ago
5/28/03
sicko - 

His analogy doesn't hold up. There are regular elections, so it's like the employer continues to rehire the same employee they're complaining about 

its incredibly hard to stop the same person from amassing the money and connections to stay in power once theyre in.

AOC likely couldnt complete a puzzle meant for ages 9-12 but will keep getting re-elected regardless of performance

10 days ago
1/1/01

Voters can just vote anyone out after 2 terms or whatever they choose.  Begging the body that benefits from no term limits to enact term limits is insane.  Of course they won't.

10 days ago
8/23/11

Term limits are a good idea but the reality is it takes years to get good at your job and even longer to become an expert or top of your field 

and then once your proficient do you want to lose that person just as they are getting good at it. 

Do you want a 1st year senator in a top position on an intel committee?

I would say 12 years in The senate or house or 20 years combined maybe 

10 days ago
7/31/09
sicko -

You Didn't pay attention AT ALL. 

10 days ago
4/27/02
No one in congress should have seniority over another.
They are supposed to have equal representation of the people and states that they represent respectively.

Term limits levels the field. It should also extend to staffers and appointed positions as well.

There should be no benefits or retirement for these people either. No one should be more than a temp in congress.
Too many of these lifers in DC have pensions & perks beyond anything in the private sector for the same work.

Congress used to only be in session for 3 months.
That way they would go back to their districts and listen to their constituents and vote accordingly.
We should return to 3 month sessions- THAT'S IT!
10 days ago
2/25/03
HELWIG - 
sicko - 

its incredibly hard to stop the same person from amassing the money and connections to stay in power once theyre in.

AOC likely couldnt complete a puzzle meant for ages 9-12 but will keep getting re-elected regardless of performance

AOC beat a ten term incumbent to get her seat.

10 days ago
1/1/01
Kings21 -
sicko -

You Didn't pay attention AT ALL. 

No, I did. The other items he spoke of, such as the incumbent getting $9 for every $1 given to the challenger and the other items he spoke of, should all be addressed, but were not part of his analogy.

I commented on his analogy of the employee/employer relationship being the same as that of the the congressman/constituents. My comment said his analogy doesn't hold up because it's ignoring the fact that elected officials have to be reelected, whereas an employee does not have to be regularly rehired.

If you think his analogy holds up despite congressmen having to be relected, please share your thoughts. Just keep it within the context of the analogy, which is what I commented on and you replied to

10 days ago
1/16/19
sicko -

There is some Tommy boy reference here. Basically, we are presented with two piles of shit to chose from. Pile of shit A and pile of shit B.

The system keeps out most of the other piles of shit. 

9 days ago
8/15/07
androb - 

Term limits are a good idea but the reality is it takes years to get good at your job and even longer to become an expert or top of your field 

and then once your proficient do you want to lose that person just as they are getting good at it. 

This isn't true.
9 days ago
8/29/09
androb -

Yeah, but being really good at being a politician is a terrible thing to want in a senator or representative. 

9 days ago
1/1/01
androb -

they dont know shit, if they didnt have shit tons of staffers they have no info.

look at the dumb fuck who thought guam was going to tip over..  and thats with a team of experts preping him

9 days ago
11/27/16

Have always believed we need term limits.  Needs to be more like jury duty and people are called for a short stint ( longer than typical jury case ).

also on Term Limits, this is one of the best fictional books I have read.  It’s by Vince Flynn, RIP.

9 days ago
2/25/03
Soul Gravy -
androb - 

This isn't true.

Well it does. And you have another guy on here saying get rid of staff as well. LOL You want the ultimate recipe for a clusterfuck? Let's have nobody there who knows what they're doing, except the lobbyists. 

9 days ago
2/25/03
Midway99 -

Have always believed we need term limits.  Needs to be more like jury duty and people are called for a short stint ( longer than typical jury case ).

also on Term Limits, this is one of the best fictional books I have read.  It’s by Vince Flynn, RIP.

Sure, give more power to unelected bureaucrats. 

9 days ago
6/30/03
rufus -
Soul Gravy -
androb - 

This isn't true.

Well it does. And you have another guy on here saying get rid of staff as well. LOL You want the ultimate recipe for a clusterfuck? Let's have nobody there who knows what they're doing, except the lobbyists. 

Of course you would be against this....

Hmm, maybe we can have term limits AND eliminate lobbyist shit bags (like you)! 

9 days ago
1/7/06

Later

9 days ago
11/9/10
ABCTT_Ninpo Silva -

Can’t say I have a problem with that. But will it ever happen? I don’t think so.

The problem is the only people who can make it happen are the people who would be limited. You need career politicians to limit their power.