OtherGround Forums The Mandalorian = Buck Rogers

1 day ago
1/1/01
I've watched the first four episodes of The Mandalorian, and unlike the die-hard Star Wars fanboys, I've yet to have a "holy shit...this is awesome" moment.

Yes, I find it entertaining.

Yes, I think the directing is well done.

Yes, I think the acting is well done (even Gina C did a very good job with her role INO).

However...the whole thing comes across to me as an early 80's sci-fi jaunt like the old Buck Rogers TV show.

Cheesy dialogue and contrived action that's conveniently and conspicuously time boxed.

I'll watch the rest of the series, but I don't get the hype...
1 day ago
1/1/01

I kind of agree but at least the first three episodes have been fun.   I think the "holy shit" moments come from the realization that we finally aren't being force fed identity politics for a change.  The bar has been set pretty low.

1 day ago
1/1/01
Soup and Beer - 

I kind of agree but at least the first three episodes have been fun.   I think the "holy shit" moments come from the realization that we finally aren't being force fed identity politics for a change.  The bar has been set pretty low.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy watching.

The directing, acting, production, etc are all very good IMO...
1 day ago
8/20/03
billyball2 - I've watched the first four episodes of The Mandalorian, and unlike the die-hard Star Wars fanboys, I've yet to have a "holy shit...this is awesome" moment.

Yes, I think the acting is well done (even Gina C did a very good job with her role INO).

However...the whole thing comes across to me as an early 80's sci-fi jaunt like the old Buck Rogers TV show.

Cheesy dialogue and contrived action that's conveniently and conspicuously time boxed.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

1 day ago
7/31/09

Haven't seen it yet but when was the last time a star wars fan didnt overhype everything star wars while jizzing all over themselves? The most annoying fan base of anything to ever exist. 

Doh muh gawd, did you see da lite sabers go voom?

1 day ago
8/20/03
Kings21 - 

Haven't seen it yet but when was the last time a star wars fan didnt overhype everything star wars while jizzing all over themselves? The most annoying fan base of anything to ever exist. 

I'm a Star Wars fan. 

In '77 when the originals came out I was in love. I think for 2 months straight I went to the theatre with my friends every week to watch the first one.

So the original series of 4,5, and 6 were my faves when I was a kid.

I HATED that Lucas decided to f*ck with them and add these new ideas and moments to them. Mother of god I swear that HAN SHOT FIRST! But despite the small changes I still loved those original series.

Then the prequels came out and I hated those hot steaming piles of sh*t. It was killing the idea imo.

Then Disney bought them and they slightly improved the storytellings and the action wasn't all CGI anymore and it wasn't based on toys and merch as much previously imo but the god awful SJW influence was terrible.

But the Mandalorian...it felt like when I was a kid again. That's the feeling I got watching this show. Sure there is stuff that is predictable, and it's not always the greatest acting, but there is something about it that brings me back to that time when I was a kid and nothing was being shoved down my throat and I was able to just enjoy what was in front of me as a fun ride to watch. In fact, it reminds me of the old serials, like the shadow or the green hornet. Sure they are contrived and time boxed, but that is what makes them fun too.

Edited: 1 day ago
1/1/01
Kings21 - 

The last Star Wars movie in the Skywalker saga that started over 40 years ago comes out in 3 weeks and no one gives a shit.  The last film (Solo) lost over 150 million dollars because of lack of interest from fans.

1 day ago
2/9/12

The Mandalorian = equals disney sjw bullshit

1 day ago
1/1/01
kinson - 

I'm not saying it won't happen, but it hasn't yet.  Have you even watched any of the episodes?

1 day ago
1/1/01
It's a good show, but certainly not great.
1 day ago
2/9/12
Soup and Beer -
kinson - 

I'm not saying it won't happen, but it hasn't yet.  Have you even watched any of the episodes?

If I have I would never admit it. Believe that. 

After force awakening Disney can go fuck itself. 

1 day ago
1/1/01
kinson - 
Soup and Beer -
kinson - 

The Force Awakens was the very definition of mediocrity.  A bad remake of A New Hope with poor special effects.

Rogue One was actually great (IMHO) and the last 15 minutes felt more like Star Wars than the original Star Wars.

Solo was passable but forgetable.  I give credit to Ron Howard for rescuing the film at the last moment to make it watchable at least.

The Last Jedi was a jumbled incoherent mess of of a film strife with identity politics and no clear story to tell.  It's one of the few films I've ever walked out on at the theater.

The Mandalorian (at least the first 3 episodes) is a space western with no hint of the Disney agenda.  My guess is Bob Iger is shitting his pants over the trend of lost revenue and is willing to give in and drop their agenda driven storylines to make what the fans want.

1 day ago
2/9/12
Soup and Beer -
kinson - 
Soup and Beer -
kinson - 

The Force Awakens was the very definition of mediocrity.  A bad remake of A New Hope with poor special effects.

Rogue One was actually great (IMHO) and the last 15 minutes felt more like Star Wars than the original Star Wars.

Solo was passable but forgetable.  I give credit to Ron Howard for rescuing the film at the last moment to make it watchable at least.

The Last Jedi was a jumbled incoherent mess of of a film strife with identity politics and no clear story to tell.  It's one of the few films I've ever walked out on at the theater.

The Mandalorian (at least the first 3 episodes) is a space western with no hint of the Disney agenda.  My guess is Bob Iger is shitting his pants over the trend of lost revenue and is willing to give in and drop their agenda driven storylines to make what the fans want.

Hope you’re right about BI shitting his pants for losing out on a ton of money at the political expense of Kathleen Kennedy. However, has the damage already been done? Will disappoint fans comeback to the politically woke franchise?

1 day ago
12/29/06

Repetitive and uses puppets.

Watchmen is much better.

1 day ago
1/1/01
WidespreadPanic - 

Watchmen is much better.

watchmen is a cesspool of "wokeness"

1 day ago
12/6/14
Soup and Beer -
Kings21 - 

The last Star Wars movie in the Skywalker saga that started over 40 years ago comes out in 3 weeks and no one gives a shit.  The last film (Solo) lost over 150 million dollars because of lack of interest from fans.

I am a quite dispirited in how little I give any fucks about this coming out. I used to care so much lol

1 day ago
11/21/19
kinson -

wut?

1 day ago
1/7/03
billyball2 - I've watched the first four episodes of The Mandalorian, and unlike the die-hard Star Wars fanboys, I've yet to have a "holy shit...this is awesome" moment.

It's being hyped up because after the last several movies, Disney finally put out a half decent effort with star wars which has fans hoping they can continue on the right path, but with the latest pos rise of Skywalker I doubt it. 

Edited: 1 day ago
7/26/07

I think it's pretty good.

Anyone who comments on it without having watched it, is a dope.

Don't be that guy.

Jon Favreau knows what he's doing (at least so far)

The 4th episode was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard, Ron Howard's Daughter

1 day ago
12/10/16
WidespreadPanic -

Watchmen is much better.

Watchmen is pretty garbage even if you can past its plot being "wHiTe ppL bAd bLAcK pPl gUd" 

1 day ago
7/26/07
I haven't tried Watchemn yet, i enjoyed the movie that came out like 10 years ago though
1 day ago
7/28/08

They gendered baby Yoda, it was referred to as a He. Disney has finally taken a step in the right direction. It wasn't much but I'll take it!

1 day ago
10/15/06
billyball2 - I've watched the first four episodes of The Mandalorian, and unlike the die-hard Star Wars fanboys, I've yet to have a "holy shit...this is awesome" moment.

Well, you answered you're own question. Buck Rogers was the greatest thing ever, from the comic strip to both tv series to the toys.
1 day ago
1/1/01
Beezulbubba - 

Well, you answered you're own question. Buck Rogers was the greatest thing ever, from the comic strip to both tv series to the toys.

Did we just become best friends?
1 day ago
1/1/01
Soup and Beer - 
kinson - 

POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------

Oh it's happening.

Episode 1 saw Mando as a badass bounty hunter. Over the last three episodes he's evolved into a sensitive guy who no longer takes cash to kill or capture people.

He's a sensitive guy with a soft heart who wants to save a baby Yoda (for no apparent reason), dwells over younglings, wants to settle down with a single mother (who lives in a community that lives in harmony with the land)...

It will only get more and more SJW.

By Episode 10 Mando will be seen changing his tampon...