OtherGround Forums The Predator (2018) - WTF?!

6/19/19 12:05 PM
2/23/05
They all sucked after P2
6/19/19 12:15 PM
1/14/12

They should have left it alone unless Arnold wanted to do it and even then stuck to the original idea bunch of special forces guys in jungle Vs Predator.

6/19/19 12:46 PM
3/10/12

I liked it, but I'm not old as shit *shrugs*

6/19/19 12:52 PM
3/18/05
Liyon -
chief123 - 
Ryann Von Doom -

Biggest predator fan on this forum, and i enjoyed majority of it. You can see where the studio interfered wth black’s work and tried to capitalize on other franchises etc... should have just let him do his thing and work. 

I didn't see a single minute of quality story telling, acting, writing, directing, or any quality movie making whatsoever in the version that I watched. Zero suspense or tension, both of which the first one featured throughout. Noneof the misfit team of crazies were as cool as the weakest of Dutch's crew(ironically Shane Black). Characters were terrible. Human villan guy was a walking cliche. Olivia Munn was awful. 

This is just my opinion, but I stand by it. 

Apparently, Shane Black was cast in Predator so he could be on set and do last-minute rewrites as needed. When he realized this is what the producers intended for him, he balked at it and they killed his character off. So, in truth, he had nothing to do with the writing of Predator.

Despite many people making the assumption that since he was in Predator and as a writer/director, he understood what made Predator great and could duplicate it for a new generation.

Thats what I heard too.

I was not on the hype train that simply because Shane B was involved that it had any chance of being good. 

6/19/19 1:04 PM
3/27/03

I literally made it about 15 seconds 

6/19/19 1:16 PM
2/5/05
BigTedBear -

They should have left it alone unless Arnold wanted to do it and even then stuck to the original idea bunch of special forces guys in jungle Vs Predator.

Every movie now has to have underlying bullshit .... the woman is equal to the men, the stupid kid speaks alien, the prisoners are all good people are heart, the evil predator dog is just a puppy that wants to play fetch.  It’s so stupid and ridiculous. 

6/19/19 1:17 PM
6/13/03

100% unredeeming dumpster fire

6/19/19 2:16 PM
3/18/05
clattymine -
BigTedBear -

Every movie now has to have underlying bullshit .... the woman is equal to the men, the stupid kid speaks alien, the prisoners are all good people are heart, the evil predator dog is just a puppy that wants to play fetch.  It’s so stupid and ridiculous. 

This. 

Edited: 6/24/19 8:48 AM
7/4/03
Olivia Munn looked hot.
6/19/19 2:25 PM
8/1/09
Ryann Von Doom -

Biggest predator fan on this forum, and i enjoyed majority of it. You can see where the studio interfered wth black’s work and tried to capitalize on other franchises etc... should have just let him do his thing and work. 

I’ll challenge you for the biggest predator fan on the forum title. 

6/19/19 2:26 PM
8/1/09

Forum cut my post off.... movie was hot garbage.... absolute shit show. 

6/19/19 3:24 PM
2/13/16
Liyon -
chief123 - 
Ryann Von Doom -

I didn't see a single minute of quality story telling, acting, writing, directing, or any quality movie making whatsoever in the version that I watched. Zero suspense or tension, both of which the first one featured throughout. Noneof the misfit team of crazies were as cool as the weakest of Dutch's crew(ironically Shane Black). Characters were terrible. Human villan guy was a walking cliche. Olivia Munn was awful. 

This is just my opinion, but I stand by it. 

Apparently, Shane Black was cast in Predator so he could be on set and do last-minute rewrites as needed. When he realized this is what the producers intended for him, he balked at it and they killed his character off. So, in truth, he had nothing to do with the writing of Predator.

Despite many people making the assumption that since he was in Predator and as a writer/director, he understood what made Predator great and could duplicate it for a new generation.

Although he didn’t have any impact on predator 1, you can’t deny that Shane black is fucking awesome.  He did the lethal weapons, the nice guys... although more buddy cop films, they’re still great.

6/19/19 4:13 PM
11/10/18

It was absolutely terrible in every way. 

6/19/19 4:36 PM
3/27/03
A_Butler -
Ryann Von Doom -

I’ll challenge you for the biggest predator fan on the forum title. 

You’re all a bunch of slack jawed faggots 

6/19/19 4:41 PM
8/12/09

Which one was this?  

Not the Adrian Brody one, right? 

I liked the Brody one.  

6/19/19 4:55 PM
2/1/08
Ryann Von Doom -

That's what I heard about this one.

Shane Black basically did his thing and the studio was like, "WTF, why do we have a Shane Black movie?"

They then proceeded to re-shoot/re-edit as much Shane Black stuff out of it as they could and this is what you're left with.

6/19/19 5:07 PM
10/4/14

It’s fucking terrible. Went to the movies to see it out of boredom and I left 30 minutes in. Just a total piece of shit. Olivia Munn is a shit actress. 

6/19/19 5:14 PM
7/15/04
holly9000 - They all sucked after P2

I really enjoyed the one with Adrian Brody and the Samurai dude and Morpheus. I thought it was really good and kept me entertained. Only issue I had with it was Brody as the lead guy (miscast) but I got over it.

6/19/19 5:14 PM
12/9/05
They reshot the whole fucking movie at the last minute due to Fox's interference.

Feel awful for Shane Black, the guy is a great filmmaker and he had to waste time on this bullshit.
6/19/19 5:19 PM
4/22/09

Walked out after 20 mins. 

6/19/19 7:35 PM
1/1/01
Flyers179 - They reshot the whole fucking movie at the last minute due to Fox's interference.

Feel awful for Shane Black, the guy is a great filmmaker and he had to waste time on this bullshit.

I feel that's giving Shane Black too much credit. His original vision would have been dog-shit anyway. Now he has the studio as a scapegoat.
6/19/19 10:25 PM
7/19/11

The worst film I have ever seen.

Why didn't they call call that retard kid and ask him where he was? Surely he had a phone.

When that female scientist starting chasing the predator at the beggining of the movie, just ridiculous.

At least in the original everyone died as you would expect in that situation, Arnie won cause he got lucky when he was covered in mud.

6/19/19 10:27 PM
7/22/06
I thought Predators with Oleg was good.
6/20/19 10:09 AM
2/1/08
Liyon -
Flyers179 - They reshot the whole fucking movie at the last minute due to Fox's interference.

I feel that's giving Shane Black too much credit. His original vision would have been dog-shit anyway. Now he has the studio as a scapegoat.

I don't know - I give Shane Black a LOT of leeway.  His track record speaks for itself:

Lethal Weapon 1&2

Monster Squad

Last Boy Scout

Last Action Hero

Long Kiss Goodnight

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Nice Guys

On the other hand, studios (especially recently, it seems) have a proven track record of trying to design a horse by committee and ending up with a camel.  Has there yet been a legit "success" story of the studio stepping in mid-stream (or at the last minute) and trying to overhaul a project and it actually working?

6/20/19 10:17 AM
1/1/01
^^^ IIRC, the original script for The Predator was leaked long before the movie came out and was considered garbage by the online fan community.

The Predator was basically another Shane Black action/comedy with the Predator thrown in.