OtherGround Forums The Von Erich family

5 days ago
1/23/06

The Von Erich family is a professional wrestling family. Its actual surname is "Adkisson", but every member who has been in the wrestling business has used the ring name "Von Erich", after the family patriarch, Jack (Fritz Von Erich) Adkisson.

When Fritz died of cancer in his Denton County home at 68, five of his six sons had preceded him. His firstborn, Jack Jr., was shocked and drowned in a puddle at the age of six in 1959, outside his Niagara Falls home. In 1984, David Von Erich died in a Tokyo hotel from enteritisMikeChris, and Kerry died of suicide; Mike took an overdose of Placidyl near Lewisville Lake in 1987, Chris shot himself in the head with a 9mm handgun in 1991 and Kerry shot himself in the chest in the family yard in 1993. Kevin Von Erich is the last surviving son.

These deaths are the main basis for a widespread myth about a family curse. The term "Von Erich curse" is also used colloquially to refer to the chain of events. The origin or purpose of the curse is not generally agreed and rarely discussed. More often, the story is presented as a cautionary tale about parental influence, sibling rivalry and various dangers of the professional wrestling business.

Edited: 5 days ago
1/23/06

5 days ago
1/1/01

Two von ericks are still doing shows...... I saw one if their events a few weeks ago

5 days ago
8/11/05
Grew up in Dallas and they were a household name. Sad.

Sibling rivalry played a role?
1/23/06

5 days ago
1/23/06

On June 4, 1986, Kerry was in a motorcycle accident that nearly ended his life. He suffered a dislocated hip and a badly injured right leg. Doctors were unable to save his right foot, eventually amputating it. According to his brother Kevin, Kerry injured the foot following surgery by attempting to walk on it prematurely, thus forcing the doctors to amputate it. He was able to continue wrestling after the accident with a prosthesis and until his death, kept the amputation secret to the majority of fans and fellow wrestlers, even going to the extreme of showering with his boots on. However, Roddy Piper stated in his autobiography: "We were the best of friends. In fact, he felt comfortable enough to sit with me in a hotel and shoot the breeze with his prosthetic off".[53]

After the amputation of his foot, Kerry became addicted to pain killers, followed by several drug problems. Among the many of them were two arrests, the first of which resulted in probation. One day after being indicted for the second charge, which likely would have resulted in extensive jail time (being a violation of his probation), Kerry committed suicide with a single gunshot to the heart with a .44 caliber pistol on February 18, 1993 on his father's ranch in Denton County, Texas.

Still a specimen even without a foot

1/23/06
Captain 'Murica - Grew up in Dallas and they were a household name. Sad.

Sibling rivalry played a role?

What I'm seeing is that they all wanted to keep up with each other and got caught up. That 30 for 30 is a great short summary. Really touching story about Kevin, the last Von Erich, in a gun store.

5 days ago
4/6/09

Yeah Kerry is the only one I remember 

5 days ago
11/7/07
I grew up a HUGE pro wrestling fan in the late 70's + 80's, I loved the Von Erichs
5 days ago
9/4/08
Not many people know this but they were the only thing stopping the Gracie invasion for decades. Sent those boys back to Mexico more times than you can shake a stick.
5 days ago
7/26/07
5 days ago
1/1/01
jimmy23 - 

Two von ericks are still doing shows...... I saw one if their events a few weeks ago

Ross and Marshall? They are Kevin's sons. They wrestle occasionally on indy shows.

Lacey, Kerry's daughter, wrestled for a while also in TNA.
5 days ago
7/5/13

I’ve watched so much stuff about them. Really really sad. 

Chris got injured somehow and all the sudden had mental health issues I believe. That may be a reason why he ended his life. 

5 days ago
9/27/15
Sad..must have been some major depression or bipolar running through the family undiagnosed..

I remember they used to call Kerry "crack" Von Erich due to his major drug problem..

Obvious the family abused steroids as well
5 days ago
1/1/01
Dropkick Joe - 

I’ve watched so much stuff about them. Really really sad. 

Chris got injured somehow and all the sudden had mental health issues I believe. That may be a reason why he ended his life. 

No, that was Mike. He had a weird shoulder injury sustained in mid-85 during a tour of (I think) Israel. He somehow got Toxic Shock Syndrome from it, had a temperature reaching 105 or 106 during it. Based on interviews afterwards, and comments from others, he likely had brain damage from the illness. Also based on comments from others that were around WCCW at the time, Fritz rushed him back into the ring when he wasn't really ready (and probably not capable). I think he got arrested for something like a DUI right before he killed himself also (which was nothing compared to Kerry's later drug arrests, but...)

Chris was undersized, asthmatic, and had brittle bones. He wanted to be like his older brothers too much, and never could have been because of physical limitations.
5 days ago
1/1/01
ons ear - Sad..must have been some major depression or bipolar running through the family undiagnosed..

I remember they used to call Kerry "crack" Von Erich due to his major drug problem..

Obvious the family abused steroids as well

Flair has publicly said that the reason that Kerry won the NWA title with a backslide was because it was a simple finish that Kerry couldn't fuck up due to drug usage.

I don't know if it's depression or bipolar issues, but part of it was shitty parenting, imo.
5 days ago
7/23/09

5 days ago
2/7/08
Holy shit at 3 suicides!!! That's a genetic line that seriously wants to call it quits.
7/26/07

The 30 for 30 was pretty interesting, watched it a while back and learned a done of shit i didn't know.

I remembered Kerry, but that was it.

5 days ago
11/9/13

Wow about the foot amputation.  I never heard about that till now.  I remember him teaming with Ultimate Warrior and Legion of Doom so naturally 9 year old me became a fan.  I want to watch some of those old matches to see if it’s at all noticeable, I feel like I can remember him being a little jumpy.

5 days ago
7/26/07
Gordon_Gekko - 

Wow about the foot amputation.  I never heard about that till now.  I remember him teaming with Ultimate Warrior and Legion of Doom so naturally 9 year old me became a fan.  I want to watch some of those old matches to see if it’s at all noticeable, I feel like I can remember him being a little jumpy.

Yeah, that's something that never could have been hidden like that in todays world
5 days ago
1/1/01
BiggGunn -
jimmy23 - 

Ross and Marshall? They are Kevin's sons. They wrestle occasionally on indy shows.

Me and girl were going to meet friends at a local bar and it turned out there was a wrestling show that night. The von Erich guys had the final match. They lost when the ref was distracted and someone snuck in the ring and hit one of them with a cowbell.

It was a fun show

5 days ago
8/27/11

In

5 days ago
11/9/13
Chimonos Revenge -
Gordon_Gekko - 

Yeah, that's something that never could have been hidden like that in todays world

Yeah no doubt never happening now, not just because it’s impossible to keep a secret but I feel like it would be exploited for marketability.  Even for the time that’s a tough secret to keep, and to be exposed and then deny it, what a tortured soul.

5 days ago
1/1/01
jimmy23 -
BiggGunn -
jimmy23 - 

Me and girl were going to meet friends at a local bar and it turned out there was a wrestling show that night. The von Erich guys had the final match. They lost when the ref was distracted and someone snuck in the ring and hit one of them with a cowbell.

It was a fun show

Btw...thus was in Denton and it was cool to hear how loudly the crowd cheered for them