OtherGround Forums The Von Erich family

9/12/18 12:16 PM
1/23/06
There was actually a 6th brother Jack Jr. that died at 7 years old when he was electrocuted during a rain storm and fell into a puddle of water, drowning to death.
9/12/18 12:17 PM
10/13/02

Epic thread!!!! The sportorium in Dallas would be 100 degrees and they wrestled in it. I watched reruns on satellite in the ME. I couldn’t understand English but loved all of it. I never knew Lance Von Erik was a fraud as I lived in another country. Ttt for later 

9/12/18 12:18 PM
9/27/15
BiggGunn - 
Dropkick Joe - 

I’ve watched so much stuff about them. Really really sad. 

Chris got injured somehow and all the sudden had mental health issues I believe. That may be a reason why he ended his life. 

No, that was Mike. He had a weird shoulder injury sustained in mid-85 during a tour of (I think) Israel. He somehow got Toxic Shock Syndrome from it, had a temperature reaching 105 or 106 during it. Based on interviews afterwards, and comments from others, he likely had brain damage from the illness. Also based on comments from others that were around WCCW at the time, Fritz rushed him back into the ring when he wasn't really ready (and probably not capable). I think he got arrested for something like a DUI right before he killed himself also (which was nothing compared to Kerry's later drug arrests, but...)

Chris was undersized, asthmatic, and had brittle bones. He wanted to be like his older brothers too much, and never could have been because of physical limitations.

Is Chris the young, chubby one on the top pic with Kerry and Fritz and wife?
9/12/18 12:22 PM
11/30/07

Tragic story. Kerry would have been in the 80 olympics had carter not pulled us from it. 

9/12/18 12:33 PM
8/11/05
ons ear - 
BiggGunn - 
Dropkick Joe - 

Chris got injured somehow and all the sudden had mental health issues I believe. That may be a reason why he ended his life. 

No, that was Mike. He had a weird shoulder injury sustained in mid-85 during a tour of (I think) Israel. He somehow got Toxic Shock Syndrome from it, had a temperature reaching 105 or 106 during it. Based on interviews afterwards, and comments from others, he likely had brain damage from the illness. Also based on comments from others that were around WCCW at the time, Fritz rushed him back into the ring when he wasn't really ready (and probably not capable). I think he got arrested for something like a DUI right before he killed himself also (which was nothing compared to Kerry's later drug arrests, but...)

Chris was undersized, asthmatic, and had brittle bones. He wanted to be like his older brothers too much, and never could have been because of physical limitations.

Is Chris the young, chubby one on the top pic with Kerry and Fritz and wife?

Yeah. He had a medical condition as a child that stunted his growth.
9/12/18 12:37 PM
8/11/05
CRE - 
Captain 'Murica - Grew up in Dallas and they were a household name. Sad.

Sibling rivalry played a role?

What I'm seeing is that they all wanted to keep up with each other and got caught up. That 30 for 30 is a great short summary. Really touching story about Kevin, the last Von Erich, in a gun store.

I see. Makes sense, with such a demanding father. I heard that Doris blamed him for their sons' deaths. I'll be watching the videos later at home. Thanks for posting them.
9/12/18 12:41 PM
1/23/06
Captain 'Murica - 
CRE - 
Captain 'Murica - Grew up in Dallas and they were a household name. Sad.

Sibling rivalry played a role?

What I'm seeing is that they all wanted to keep up with each other and got caught up. That 30 for 30 is a great short summary. Really touching story about Kevin, the last Von Erich, in a gun store.

I see. Makes sense, with such a demanding father. I heard that Doris blamed him for their sons' deaths. I'll be watching the videos later at home. Thanks for posting them.

Apparently Kevin was upset that Kerry got the title shot and win against Ric Flair
9/12/18 12:50 PM
4/8/07

My oldest kid's middle name is Fritz because I always thought Fritz Von Erich was an awesome name.

9/12/18 1:01 PM
4/22/07

IN for later

9/12/18 1:09 PM
12/14/11

Stood in line at a Kmart in Lubbock TX when I was in 4th grade to get Kevin’s autograph.   Was a huge fan!

9/12/18 1:18 PM
7/5/13
BiggGunn -
Dropkick Joe - 

That’s right. Now I remember. You listen to those stories and it’s like damn, which is worse? All really sad. 

9/12/18 1:20 PM
1/1/01
Ryann Von Doom - 

Tragic story. Kerry would have been in the 80 olympics had carter not pulled us from it. 

Nope. This one is Kevin talking and exaggerating a little.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_United_States_Olympic_Trials_(track_and_field)
9/12/18 1:25 PM
1/1/01
As a 90's kid, the Texas Tornado came in looking like the Ultimate Warrior. He also looks like the guitarist of STP.

His move was one of those light bulb moments as a kid and a reason why we watched WWF at the time.

Of course! His finishing move is a texas tornado punch = spin around like a tornado into a one punch KO.

That's how we liked our wrastl'in back then mmm hmmmm (in sling blade voice)
Edited: 9/12/18 4:37 PM
4/20/02

David, Kevin and Kerry were all very good high school athletes. They all got D1 athletic scholarships. But they all dropped out to go into wrestling. (Kerry probably never had the academic skills to stay in college but the other two probably did.)

But Mike tried out for , iirc, cross country and middle distance track in high school, and it was clear to everyone he just wasn't an athlete. But he got pressured into wrestling anyway.

9/12/18 4:28 PM
1/1/01
ttt
9/12/18 4:37 PM
11/30/07
BiggGunn -
Ryann Von Doom - 

Nope. This one is Kevin talking and exaggerating a little.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_United_States_Olympic_Trials_(track_and_field)

Wiki isnt credible. Thanks though. 

9/12/18 4:41 PM
4/20/02

There are a ton of stories about Kerry doing things like painting his feet brown, thinking it would fool Fritz into thinking he was wearing boots in the ring or accidentally tying his own shoelacs together. Ric Flair was talking about some of these stories once and somebody asked him if Kerry was that dumb or if he was constantly stoned. Flair said "Yes."

9/12/18 4:42 PM
1/1/01

Interesting 

9/12/18 4:50 PM
7/26/07
The tragedies in the family even extended to some of the brothers kids.

David had a daughter that died in infancy, i believe

The amount of tragedy in that one family is insane.
9/12/18 4:55 PM
1/1/01

I always kind of felt sorry for Chris.

He seemed like the kid that was dragged out into the family business, even though he had no reason to be there.

His brothers were physical beasts, and he was the little, unathletic brother that seemed like he might be a little retarded.

9/12/18 4:57 PM
7/26/07
PatK - 

I always kind of felt sorry for Chris.

He seemed like the kid that was dragged out into the family business, even though he had no reason to be there.

His brothers were physical beasts, and he was the little, unathletic brother that seemed like he might be a little retarded.

From what I've read, the impression i got is that Chris really really really wanted to be like his brothers and be a star wrestler, but his body and health issues just wouldn't allow him to really make it
9/12/18 5:02 PM
3/10/11

I grew up in Dallas and watched wrestling circa 1982 so I remember all these guys. This shit was so fun back in the day. Kevin always looked SO stoned.

9/12/18 5:02 PM
10/13/02

Kudos to Flair for jobbing to Kerry. Hogan would not have done something so unselfish.

9/12/18 5:07 PM
6/5/05

Fritz’ book was nuts

9/12/18 6:22 PM
3/16/15
Ryann Von Doom -

You got a legit source for that claim?  He must been a national champion.........should be easy to support.