OtherGround Forums The burning of the Library in Alexandria

7 days ago
10/27/05

I started thinking about this the other day, we know the impact historically about what was lost at Alexandria. It's not unique in the sense that many great libraries have been lost in history during war, but Alexandria was a significant loss.There is no way to know potentially how far society is set back when one of these events occurs. Scientific and medical advancement could be lost or stalled, history, politics, human understanding.

We know that losing data, losing knowledge, and history can have a tremendous impact.

So then why are we living in an age where a prevailing thought has been to edit/destroy information/books we don't approve of?

If we continue to allow a culture of censorship, how much will be lost?

7 days ago
5/10/04

Voted up OP.

The current trend of attempting bury history goes beyond the mindless looters and vandals.
It is being embraced by major corporations, and has long been an influence on the youth -- at the hands of leftist teachers and professors.

This is the modern equivalent of book burning.

20-30 years ago this would ot have been embraced.

Unfortunately, the current youth generation has no memory of things like The Cold War, and has little understanding of the thin ice our freedom sits on.

Our educators have let an entire generation down.
They have let America down.
Edited: 7 days ago
1/1/01

Few know that the reason the Library at Alexandria was burned was due to the fact that pictures surfaced of one of the librarians in blackface at the annual Celebration of Bacchus.

As an ally, I think it was the right call.
7 days ago
1/9/19

I have wondered about Alexandria and what amazing knowledge was lost.  It is so significant because we could lose a major library now but most of the information is now replicated and can be found all over and so our recorded history of what we believe/know would not be lost........so it is a great curiousity would records of human history were lost in Alexandria.  

7 days ago
4/29/09

What other literature was burned way back when? I know it's been done several times. 

7 days ago
1/1/01
theraskal -

I have wondered about Alexandria and what amazing knowledge was lost.  It is so significant because we could lose a major library now but most of the information is now replicated and can be found all over and so our recorded history of what we believe/know would not be lost........so it is a great curiousity would records of human history were lost in Alexandria.  

They had the early copies of mad magazine as well as a copy of the prequel to the Bible

7 days ago
1/1/01
The Diet Butcher - 
theraskal -

They had the early copies of mad magazine as well as a copy of the prequel to the Bible

It wasn't that great, there was always a smelly homeless dude using the computer --for hours on end-- to look at pictures of women in sheer tunics.

7 days ago
10/27/05
shen - 
Few know that the reason the Library at Alexandria was burned was due to the fact that pictures surfaced of one of the librarians in blackface at the annual Celebration of Bacchus.

As an ally, I think it was the right call.

Well that's absurd, they could have just made the librarian the PM of a french territory or something.

7 days ago
10/27/05
theraskal - 

Agreed.

I know that some think there are insignificant amounts of censorship and editing today, but when you look at the context, going back through time and removing passages, scenes, words from books it's changing the information future generations will have access to. Will it be literature that's banned because it "promotes harmful stereotypes"? Will historians have acces to these things to draw from? Once we are dead and the viewers/readers of the original content are gone, will it cease to exist?

7 days ago
7/10/02

The Mongols burned the gigantic Baghdad library in 1258. It set the world back for sure.

7 days ago
7/15/04

Interesting thread 

7 days ago
6/30/03

There are two types of people who burn books.

Communists, and religitards. 

Fuck em both 

7 days ago
5/16/10

Catholic church probably has most of the good stuff at the Vatican 

7 days ago
5/16/10
Sprawl'n'Stall -

The Mongols burned the gigantic Baghdad library in 1258. It set the world back for sure.

Prevented islam from having an enlightenment 

7 days ago
4/29/09
Sprawl'n'Stall -

This is what I was referring too. Thank you kind sir. 

7 days ago
2/14/10
Sprawl'n'Stall -

You beat me to it, you sonovabitch.

Baghdad was one of the most advanced cities in the world at the time. It never recovered.

7 days ago
10/27/05
haya1340 - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -

There have been many great libraries burned for sure all setting us back, but I personally think the sheer volume makes Alexandria the biggest loss.

Regardless, it's my personal opinion that we are going to damage the future with this mindset. 

5/9/10
Thage -
haya1340 - 
Sprawl'n'Stall - The Mongols burned the gigantic Baghdad library in 1258. It set the world back for sure.

There have been many great libraries burned for sure all setting us back, but I personally think the sheer volume makes Alexandria the biggest loss.

Regardless, it's my personal opinion that we are going to damage the future with this mindset. 

ya, we figured that out in the 40s when the bad guys were burning books, and most of the Jews.

Safe spaces brought the idea back under false pretenses.

7 days ago
1/17/03
shen - 
The Diet Butcher - 
theraskal -

It wasn't that great, there was always a smelly homeless dude using the computer --for hours on end-- to look at pictures of women in sheer tunics.

thank you sir for making spit my lunch out on my monitor due to laughter...

fucking shen
12/17/06

There's still so much we don't know about Greek industry, largely because of this.

For example...

Looking at Greek craftsmanship and brasswork shows us clearly that the Greeks knew how to case harden iron LONG before we thought possible for humanity. They were able to cut, file and work brass with amazing precision. This type of work is only possible with case hardened iron at the very least.

Doesn't sound that impressive on its surface, right? Well, it is.

Case hardening isn't just a matter of getting some iron hot and dunking it in water. It requires carbon migration. A manipulation of the elements at a MOLECULAR level. The Greeks knew how to do it LONG before anyone else and LONG before we ever thought possible.

Absolutely amazing, and a shame we lost so much of that information.

7 days ago
12/31/17
Thage -

I started thinking about this the other day, we know the impact historically about what was lost at Alexandria. It's not unique in the sense that many great libraries have been lost in history during war, but Alexandria was a significant loss.There is no way to know potentially how far society is set back when one of these events occurs. Scientific and medical advancement could be lost or stalled, history, politics, human understanding.

We know that losing data, losing knowledge, and history can have a tremendous impact.

So then why are we living in an age where a prevailing thought has been to edit/destroy information/books we don't approve of?

Go sit through a high school history c.lass. Real history has been lost for years.

7 days ago
10/27/05
55579 - 
Thage -

Go sit through a high school history c.lass. Real history has been lost for years.

Not sure what you were going for.

I'm trying to draw a large parallel between a historically large loss of knowledge with the current drip of censorship that's occuring and how damaging it is.

6 days ago
7/4/11

You can thank Caesar and the Romans for burning it 

6 days ago
12/17/06
Johnny Tightlips - 

You can thank Caesar and the Romans for burning it 

6 days ago
1/1/01

I already brought  this up last year in my Tucker thread.

We are witnessing the Burning of the Library of Alexandria.