OtherGround Forums The market-are we investing today?

27 days ago
1/1/09
I have not bought a stock since March, I normally buy/invest in ITOT and IUSG 20% of my paycheck every 2 weeks. I have about 20K that is earmarked to be invested, is this going to go lower and wait to buy? Is it completely hinged to the election? If Biden wins then we wait, but if Trump wins then now is the time?
27 days ago
8/23/11
technology isnt stopping if biden wins

Telsa isnt going to stop making cars

Apple isnt going to stop making phones

amazon isnt going to stop shipping products

27 days ago
8/23/11
PuraVida76 - I have not bought a stock since March, I normally buy/invest in ITOT and IUSG 20% of my paycheck every 2 weeks. I have about 20K that is earmarked to be invested, is this going to go lower and wait to buy? Is it completely hinged to the election? If Biden wins then we wait, but if Trump wins then now is the time?

are you the PURA vida that lives in costa rica?
27 days ago
1/1/09
androb - 
PuraVida76 - I have not bought a stock since March, I normally buy/invest in ITOT and IUSG 20% of my paycheck every 2 weeks. I have about 20K that is earmarked to be invested, is this going to go lower and wait to buy? Is it completely hinged to the election? If Biden wins then we wait, but if Trump wins then now is the time?

I used to, have not for a decade. I am not the liberal guy everyone hates here..lol.
27 days ago
8/23/11
PuraVida76 - 
androb - 

I used to, have not for a decade. I am not the liberal guy everyone hates here..lol.

ahhh gotcha

What happened to that dude?

He prob got his shit pushed in if hes anything in real life like he is on here.

is Pura Vida a CR saying.. or just coincidence that you both share the SN

I know its spanish for best life but is it mainly used in CR?
Edited: 27 days ago
4/1/10
androb - technology isnt stopping if biden wins

One of the real risks to the stock market under a Biden presidency is an end to the 401k tax benefit.

If you get rid of 401ks.... look out below.

(I shouldn't say get rid of, it is a bit more complicated than that, but the Biden/Harris plan will send the stock market lower.)

27 days ago
4/1/10

Just keep averaging into the market. If you bought in March good for you. Just keep averaging into the market rather than trying to time it.

That is a pretty aggressive asset allocation.

27 days ago
1/1/09
androb - 
PuraVida76 - 
androb - 

ahhh gotcha

Yeah "Pura Vida" is a saying exclusive to Costa Rica. I basically should have changed my SN once that clown came around as everyone just attacked me for anything I would say...justifiably.

That dude was the polar opposite of what Pura Vida is all about..lol.
27 days ago
1/1/09
Zned - 

Just keep averaging into the market. If you bought in March good for you. Just keep averaging into the market rather than trying to time it.

Thanks for weighing in on this, I appreciate the perspective you bring to the forum.

I did just that, I restarted averaging in today. I have a more diverse portfolio than those 2 funds. That strategy was just for what I figured would be a bumpy election year.
27 days ago
4/1/10
PuraVida76 - 
Zned - 

Thanks for weighing in on this, I appreciate the perspective you bring to the forum.

I did just that, I restarted averaging in today. I have a more diverse portfolio than those 2 funds. That strategy was just for what I figured would be a bumpy election year.

Thanks! I try to be helpful when I can.

There is really no way to predict how the volatility will flow.

Its very different than 2018 and 2019 where the late year sell off in 2018 and the 2019 rally were moves where the market moved in synch. Right now it is a free for all, and trying to trade it is really risky.

If it is long term buy and hold just keep averaging in and think about more important things like fishing, food, and sex.

27 days ago
1/1/09
Zned - 
PuraVida76 - 
Zned - 

Thanks! I try to be helpful when I can.

There is really no way to predict how the volatility will flow.

Its very different than 2018 and 2019 where the late year sell off in 2018 and the 2019 rally were moves where the market moved in synch. Right now it is a free for all, and trying to trade it is really risky.

If it is long term buy and hold just keep averaging in and think about more important things like fishing, food, and sex.

Long term for certain. I find that my mind is thinking about what really matters to me 99% of the time, and add in family and fitness to your list that is what matters. Cheers to you, and I wish you nothing but success in your move and career!
27 days ago
10/16/10
PuraVida76 - 
androb - 
PuraVida76 - 
androb - 

ahhh gotcha

Yeah "Pura Vida" is a saying exclusive to Costa Rica. I basically should have changed my SN once that clown came around as everyone just attacked me for anything I would say...justifiably.

That dude was the polar opposite of what Pura Vida is all about..lol.

Lol now I get it finally
Edited: 27 days ago
4/13/12
Zned -
androb - technology isnt stopping if biden wins

One of the real risks to the stock market under a Biden presidency is an end to the 401k tax benefit.

If you get rid of 401ks.... look out below.

(I shouldn't say get rid of, it is a bit more complicated than that, but the Biden/Harris plan will send the stock market lower.)

Last I read about it it wasn't a complete dismantling of them, and it's not really an end to the tax benefit rather a change in how it works.

Right now, you  reduce your taxable income when you defer salary into a 401k plan. The Biden Harris proposal would effectively allow you to put taxed dollars into your 401k plan and then receive a credit dollar for dollar on your taxes owed. As it sits now 401k plans benefit those in higher tax brackets more than those in lower ones the Biden Harris proposal would equalize this.

Presumably distributions from the 401k at retirement would be taken tax-free so essentially your converting 401k plans to a Roth and the government is adding a credit on the front end. 

The proposal isn't clear exactly how all this will work as there are a million issues with some of the ideas in their execution and implementation. I just don't see it happening, there are too many things that would be affected like non-discrimination testing, matching, etc.

27 days ago
4/1/10

The details don't really matter EFM, the market has kneejerk reactions, and any which way you cut that plan the stock market takes a dive.

27 days ago
2/7/08

I buy when it’s green and twice as much when it’s red.

27 days ago
4/13/12
Zned -

The details don't really matter EFM, the market has kneejerk reactions, and any which way you cut that plan the stock market takes a dive.

agreed in the short term.  but i don't think the mid to long term effects are significant.  the details will get ironed out and the effects to investors will be equitable.  they always are in retirement plans.  any market dives will be short lived IMO.

27 days ago
4/13/12
theBEAToff -

one for bad two for good.

26 days ago
2/7/08
EFM - 
theBEAToff -

lol is that from Rain Man??!?
Edited: 26 days ago
4/1/10
EFM - 
Zned -

agreed in the short term.  but i don't think the mid to long term effects are significant.  the details will get ironed out and the effects to investors will be equitable.  they always are in retirement plans.  any market dives will be short lived IMO.

We are discussing the short term, aren't we? OP stated his current thoughts were revolving around possible volatility due to the election.

The short term will be full of Biden rhetoric saying that he will get rid of "shareholder cpatalism", while the Trump rhetoric will be, "this is the end to your 401ks".

26 days ago
4/13/12
theBEAToff -
EFM - 
theBEAToff -

lol is that from Rain Man??!?

yeah.

26 days ago
4/13/12
Zned -
EFM - 
Zned -

We are discussing the short term, aren't we? OP stated his current thoughts were revolving around possible volatility due to the election.

The short term will be full of Biden rhetoric saying that he will get rid of "shareholder cpatalism", while the Trump rhetoric will be, "this is the end to your 401ks".

fair enough.