OtherGround Forums The reason Kobe's helicopter crashed, new details

18 days ago
2/4/11

Conditions were not suitable for flying, according to Los Angeles police who grounded their own choppers. But Kobe Bryant's pilot wanted to fly anyway and requested to abandon IFR (instrument flight rules) in favor of flying under visual flight rules (VFR), and ascended, or climbed to more than 2,000 feet, in what appeared to be an attempt to put some space between helicopter and terrain, and then crashed. He needed to climb to see what's below him BUT INSTEAD OF REVERTING TO IFR, HE CONTINUED FLYING UNDER VFR and this is why he crashed.

In addition to this, Kobe's helicopter was NOT equipped with TAWS (Terrain Avoidance Warning System). For years the NTSB has been recommending it on large passenger helicopters, but the FAA has not yet ordered it to be mandatory. The chopper did also not have black boxes, a cockpit voice or flight data recorder that could have provided critical information about why the pilot crashed. Kobe's helicopter was built in 1991 and his pilot had over 8,200 flying hours as of July 2019.

Flightradar24 visual map and last air traffic control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAjRczt2QRw

About TAWS technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcihboIROOc&t=40s

18 days ago
1/1/01

RIP

Parents and children dies in a helicopter accident.

The sooner the media and random internet posters stop providing updates the sooner the families can move on.

18 days ago
1/7/09
billyball2 - RIP

The sooner the media and random internet posters stop providing updates the sooner the families can move on.

They're not moving on any time soon. Media coverage will end looooong before that ever happens

Edited: 18 days ago
7/28/08

It looks like the cause is going to be Controlled flight into Terrain.

They never even knew they were crashing.

18 days ago
5/19/06
billyball2 - RIP

Also, wouldn't the family not want to know what happened?

I understand obviously they are not getting this info from the media, but even still, shouldn't people not be giving this info?

18 days ago
12/29/09
billyball2 - RIP

Oh god, I hope Vanessa doesn't see this!

You are a dumb faggot.

18 days ago
2/4/11
billyball2 - RIP

or we can figure out what happened and prevent others from dying?
18 days ago
12/29/09

Another good point.

18 days ago
3/13/18

If they didn't know they were crashing, that's the best scenario under these circumstances. I couldn't imagine being a father with my child and having time to see that coming...

18 days ago
12/29/09

I only snapped at that guy because he came at me one time in a thread, where I had posted a fake news story. I had already apoligized, a couple time I think. 

18 days ago
3/16/11
Dire -
billyball2 - RIP

I understand obviously they are not getting this info from the media, but even still, shouldn't people not be giving this info?

That's not how aviation works. The information gleaned from studying the causes, conditions, mistakes and failures of the accident can save someone's life down the road. It's why flying is as safe as it is today. 

18 days ago
11/16/08

"It was missing a device that warned the pilot they were getting too close to the ground"

It's called a fucking window!

18 days ago
9/3/12
The_Pundits_Ghost -

If they didn't know they were crashing, that's the best scenario under these circumstances. I couldn't imagine being a father with my child and having time to see that coming...

From the audio it sounds like a short struggle then thud, it was probably the fire that killed them after being knocked out but then again they could have died instantly at impact 

18 days ago
11/14/05

The state of Illinois owned that copter before Kobe, the cheap fucks who ordered it skimmed out on the important stuff 

11/18/15
Pilgor the goat -
Dire -
billyball2 - RIP

That's not how aviation works. The information gleaned from studying the causes, conditions, mistakes and failures of the accident can save someone's life down the road. It's why flying is as safe as it is today. 

didnt work in this situation though.  surprise surprise when you fly vmc into imc you cfit.  that is the worst part, this accident wont make  a significant difference for aviation safety

18 days ago
6/8/10

I read that the pilot suggested landed because of the fog but Kobe said no, have no idea if that is credible. 

18 days ago
3/16/11
Cuckoldberry Finn -
Pilgor the goat -
Dire -
billyball2 - RIP

didnt work in this situation though.  surprise surprise when you fly vmc into imc you cfit.  that is the worst part, this accident wont make  a significant difference for aviation safety

A high profile example of bad flying will reach many more pilots eyes and ears than some doctor piling in, so maybe one or two people look into the details of the accident and adjust their own flying habits and procedures... but I see what you're saying, everyone who flies should already know not to do what he did. I guess you have to ask why a 8000 hrs pilot did it, and hope someone else with the same idea remembers this because it's so high profile. 

18 days ago
12/25/15
I No Kung Foo -

"It was missing a device that warned the pilot they were getting too close to the ground"

It's called a fucking window!

Its likely the the fog was so thick that there was close to no visibiltiy out the windows.

18 days ago
9/20/19
ShoreBreaker -
The_Pundits_Ghost -

From the audio it sounds like a short struggle then thud, it was probably the fire that killed them after being knocked out but then again they could have died instantly at impact 

They were going almost 200 mph to a dead stop. That's instant death even without being mangled by the wreckage. 

18 days ago
3/13/18
ShoreBreaker -
The_Pundits_Ghost -

Didn't realize there was audio. Do not want to hear that shit

18 days ago
3/13/18
HillboFrateTrane -
ShoreBreaker -
The_Pundits_Ghost -

They were going almost 200 mph to a dead stop. That's instant death even without being mangled by the wreckage. 

They would have been going that fast? Really? I've never spent time in that type of helicopter, but lots of time in Cessna planes and that is much faster than I would expect at cruise, let alone with zero visibility under vfr 

18 days ago
1/1/01
jasperb -

I read that the pilot suggested landed because of the fog but Kobe said no, have no idea if that is credible. 

Let's hope this is not true for the pilots sake. 

1/9/02
ShoreBreaker -
The_Pundits_Ghost -

they most certainly died from impact at 150 mph

like the poster said above. that would be fatal by itself not even including the rest of the helicopter hitting you at that speed when it runs into the mtn. the corpses were likely mostly pieces

18 days ago
10/5/04

So, he was at 2,000 feet moving forward and drove into the side of the mountain? Or he was at 2,000 ft and was decending and belly flopped straight into the ground. 
no truth to someone hearing the helicopter sputtering or a fire onboard? 

18 days ago
7/1/15

It's going to be made mandatory now, to have the terrain avoidance warning system