OtherGround Forums The world is going meatless....

5/20/19 10:55 AM
4/1/10

Little Ceasar's is now testing "impossible" Italian Sausage.

5/20/19 11:00 AM
4/1/10

5/20/19 11:01 AM
4/1/10

There was a place in NYC here using meat substitutes and making vegan pizzas. It was a fancier high end type place, but the vegan pizzas were awesome.

The fake meat gave me terrible gas though, farting all night, and they were rather rancid smelling.

5/20/19 11:02 AM
1/8/12

I'm honestly surprised at how quickly the meatless products are being accepted and the market expanding.

5/20/19 11:04 AM
3/4/18

Crazy how fast it's blowing up.

If I were vegetarian I wouldn't even want to eat fake meat. I think it's a bit strange. 

5/20/19 11:10 AM
4/1/10
RocG - 

I'm honestly surprised at how quickly the meatless products are being accepted and the market expanding.

It went from a few restaurants serving the Impossible Burger to nationwide acceptance overnight.

I am trying to figure out how Impossible Foods keeps up with the demands.

I was on a call with Whole Foods analysts and investors not too long ago, and the growth in their store branded meat alternative products is crazy.

Want a quick meatless meal in an instantpot that is fucking delicious?

One box whole wheat or protein plus pasta

One Jar Whole Foods 365 brand Marinara sauce or Classico Tomato Basil

One bad Whole foods meatless meatballs.

Put pasta in.

Dump sauce on it.

Ad 1 - 1.5 sauce jars of water, just enough to barely cover pasta.

Drop the "meatballs" on top.

4 minute high pressure.

Quick release.

Voila.

5/20/19 11:14 AM
4/1/10
Smokestack - 

Crazy how fast it's blowing up.

If I were vegetarian I wouldn't even want to eat fake meat. I think it's a bit strange. 

Most aren't very similar to what they are pretending to be, although I have to say, the Whole foods chickenless nuggets and patties are delicious.

If you don't like meat I can't imagine why you would eat a bloody veggie burger lol.

My wife and I ate a plant based diet for two years. Partially for health reasons, and also just as an experiment.

We eat meat again, but do 3-4 nights a week still eat our plant based meals. Part because we just enjoy them, but also because some nights we have to eat late. "Meatless" alternatives seem to digest very fast. So if I am eating at 9:30 and through down some meatless chicken nuggets, leafy greens, and sweet potato fries I can go to bed in a couple minute and not have my sleep fucked up. Nothing scientific here, just my own anectdotal experience. 

5/20/19 11:21 AM
3/21/12
I have no problem with the idea of faux-meat but I would like to see studies done on the long term safety of eating it. I've been cutting back on meat consumption for health reasons and welcome more options.
Edited: 5/20/19 11:25 AM
4/1/10
TzTinkle - I have no problem with the idea of faux-meat but I would like to see studies done on the long term safety of eating it. I've been cutting back on meat consumption for health reasons and welcome more options.

You can look at the ingredients for most of it.

It is just plant derived proteins or gluten much of the time.

There don't seem to be alarming chemicals or issues with it.

If you are looking for easy cheap meals to make at home from whole foods rather than processed plant products check out these three books, they have excellent recipes that are easy to make:

"Vegan on the Cheap"

"The Great Vegan Bean Book"

"The No-Meat Athlete Cookbook"

5/20/19 11:25 AM
4/26/13

I’ve been a butcher all my life. Meat is here to stay!

5/20/19 11:31 AM
1/9/02

this is a disgusting fad

it will probably have a niche in the market for ppl with eating disorders like vegans but it wont gain widespread acceptance

5/20/19 11:34 AM
4/1/10
gregbrady - 

this is a disgusting fad

it will probably have a niche in the market for ppl with eating disorders like vegans but it wont gain widespread acceptance

I would argue that from the results of the test marketing run by Burger King, it has gained widespread acceptance. They plan on launching it in all 7500+ locations in the next few months.

White castle is offering impossible sliders.

Chick-Fil-A is planning on adding vegan chicken products.

Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are seeing their store brand meatless meats sales skyrocket, and they are their strongest growing SKUs.

Now a national pizza chain is running market tests on meatless meat pizzas.

8/10/05
Poleeko - 

Funny that vegans are always trying to make meatless products taste like meat. Lab meat made with chemicals is better than the real thing I guess. 

Yeah, it's SO weird. It's *almost* as if they are trying to make the transition to vege diets easier for meat eaters.
4/1/10
southcraw - 

I’ve been a butcher all my life. Meat is here to stay!

I am always jealous of butchers, especially the ones working at shops like Vermont Butcher Company or Dickson's.

5/20/19 11:37 AM
12/22/10

Fuck eating that garbage. 

An animal needs to die in order for me to fully enjoy a meal. 

- black Doug

5/20/19 11:38 AM
2/9/14

So let me get this straight. 

Fake meat,  which includes fillers of high carb and sugar products,  along with some vegetables and pastas is good. 

Eating meat from animals is bad... 

I don't know about anyone else,  but I've never seen a pasta or bread tree in the wild before.  

What i do see is some edible plant life and an abundance of animals.   

Some people are really stupid.. 

5/20/19 11:39 AM
1/9/02
Zned -
gregbrady - 

this is a disgusting fad

I would argue that from the results of the test marketing run by Burger King, it has gained widespread acceptance. They plan on launching it in all 7500+ locations in the next few months.

Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are seeing their store brand meatless meats sales skyrocket, and they are their strongest growing SKUs.

there are veggie burgers in every supermarket, that doesn't mean most ppl eat them

5/20/19 11:41 AM
4/1/10
gregbrady - 
Zned -
gregbrady - 

this is a disgusting fad

there are veggie burgers in every supermarket, that doesn't mean most ppl eat them

The growth numbers show that most people are eating them.

60% of Americans are buying meat and dairy subsitutes, and 86% of meatless meat products are sold to people who eat meat.

https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/18/06/p11836149/plant-based-proteins-are-harvesting-year-over-year-growth-in-foodservi

Those numbers are a year old, and don't account for the massive growth in Impossible and Beyond products in the last 12 months.

5/20/19 11:42 AM
6/30/07
Zned -
RocG - 

It went from a few restaurants serving the Impossible Burger to nationwide acceptance overnight.

I am trying to figure out how Impossible Foods keeps up with the demands.

I was on a call with Whole Foods analysts and investors not too long ago, and the growth in their store branded meat alternative products is crazy.

Want a quick meatless meal in an instantpot that is fucking delicious?

One box whole wheat or protein plus pasta

One Jar Whole Foods 365 brand Marinara sauce or Classico Tomato Basil

One bad Whole foods meatless meatballs.

Put pasta in.

Dump sauce on it.

Ad 1 - 1.5 sauce jars of water, just enough to barely cover pasta.

Drop the "meatballs" on top.

4 minute high pressure.

Quick release.

Voila.

"One bad Whole foods meatless meatballs"

Freudian slip?

5/20/19 11:42 AM
1/8/12

I don't understand why people get so upset about food they don't have to eat.

5/20/19 11:43 AM
4/1/10
MagicMark - 

Fake meat,  which includes fillers of high carb and sugar products,  along with some vegetables and pastas is good. 

I don't know about anyone else,  but I've never seen a pasta or bread tree in the wild before.  

Beyond Burger nutrition is pretty close to a beef burger.

Calories: 270.
    Fat: 20 g (5 g sat fat)
    Sodium: 380 mg.
    Carbohydrates: 5 grams.
    Fiber: 3 grams.
    Sugars: 0 grams.
    Protein: 20 grams.

The four main ingredients are water, pea protein isolate, canola oil, and coconut oil

I don't see any high sugar or carb fillers in there.

2g net carbs.
5/20/19 11:43 AM
2/5/06
The world is going nutless imo
Edited: 5/20/19 11:45 AM
4/1/10
RocG - 

They aren't realizing...

The Beyond IPO has tripled in price and is the highest performing IPO of 2019.

The Impossible IPO when it comes, will likely outperform Beyond.

The OG likes to look at things in binary (me like/me don't like) terms, rather than looking at the overall picture in a pragmatic way.

5/20/19 11:45 AM
3/21/12
RocG - 

It will be nice when occasionally not eating meat won't be seen as a political statement by segments of the population.
Edited: 5/20/19 11:48 AM
8/1/13
Zned -
MagicMark - 

Beyond Burger nutrition is pretty close to a beef burger.

Calories: 270.
    Fat: 20 g (5 g sat fat)
    Sodium: 380 mg.
    Carbohydrates: 5 grams.
    Fiber: 3 grams.
    Sugars: 0 grams.
    Protein: 20 grams.

The four main ingredients are water, pea protein isolate, canola oil, and coconut oil

I don't see any high sugar or carb fillers in there.

2g net carbs.

I just bought a couple this weekend at the store and cooked them myself. To me the taste is very close to a beef patty. I think they are great. The wife wouldn't even take a bite.