OtherGround Forums Things from the 1960s/1970s that vanished.

5 days ago
4/27/14
cdale27 - 

Dang, those were good!

5 days ago
4/27/14

Not a good look cowboy.

5 days ago
5/2/02
Sernie Banders -

I remember a kickstarter for these not too long ago.  I think they're primed for a comeback 

5 days ago
1/1/01
cdale27 - 

Yes!

That used to be my favorite at one point!

Stew or others: Do you remember the original Wonka bars - a variety of confections - that came out with the original movie?

The particular taste is still stuck in my head. I remember one of them was a sort of peanut butter thing. Had it's own flavor, different from Reeses.
Edited: 5 days ago
1/1/01

i member the peanutbutter wonka bar. Was delicious! it was scrunch

4 days ago
4/27/14

Those were good. The Wonka movie was produced by General Mills specifically to promote the Wonka Bar and other candy tie-ins. They left the director completely alone, saying "You're the film guy, you must know what to do. We're the food guys". That's probably why it turned out so well.

4 days ago
1/1/01

Such an epic thread I haven't made it all the way through yet, but...

How about "70's TV shows that weren't successful, but that everyone who ever saw them remembers?"

E.g.:

Quark (with Richard Benjamin)

When Things Were Rotten.
4 days ago
1/1/01
The Stewed Owl - 

Eyewear of the late 1970s:

Ugh.

I'll never forget: I was a chick magnet for a while as a kid in the early 70's. Then I had to get glasses. The interest from girls dropped off a cliff, like overnight. Didn't come back for much later until comfortable contact lenses appeared and I could ditch the glasses.

The photos above explain perfectly why this happened.
4 days ago
1/1/01

Mini-Bikes!

Basically kid-sized little motorcycles. They seemed to pop up everywhere in the 70's and I begged my parents to let me have one. "No way! Too dangerous."

But the kids who lived outside the city always seemed to get one.
Edited: 4 days ago
5/18/06

Tabletop video games.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1957/5529/products/image_bf92e811-c0eb-4afc-b8d5-b4ddb8354600_530x@2x.jpg?v=1569010447

3 days ago
1/1/01
The Stewed Owl - 

Movies about giant bugs. They just don't make them anymore. These were a staple of my youth. Physically impossible, because of the inverse square ratio, but dang, who doesn't love giant insects?

Love his expression here:

I keep bumping this thread because I'm slowly going through the whole thing again.

When I was a kid my dad let my brother and I go to sleep and wake up for the late night horror movies (as I remember, some were even on school nights!). Among them I remember I Was A Teenage Werewolf, The Creature from the black lagoon movies, Body Snatchers, The Thing (original), The Fly, Terror Island (those weird bone-sucking creatures creeped me out!) and all the Giant Bug movies, including Them, Tarantula and my favorite, The Deadly Mantis. I loved catching praying mantises as a kid so this movie was perfect. It made a big impact on me.

Apparently there was a beautiful blu-ray transfer of this movie so I'm picking it up this weekend to re-visit the movie. Can't wait!
3 days ago
12/1/10

in

2 days ago
1/22/03
Mid riff net shirts on MEN
2 days ago
2/4/07
cdale27 -

You can still find "Curly Wurly" bars from Cadbury. Same as a Marathon bar