OtherGround Forums This $hit Can Be Avoided!!!

8/10/20 4:40 PM
12/18/08

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mobile/missing-4-year-old-near-quebec-city-found-dead-in-neighbour-s-pool-1.5057615

A 4 year old girl drowned because she had access to the neighbors pool! 

If you have a pool I truly hope its in a fenced in area with a fucking lock on the gate when not in use! 

This shit makes my blood boil! 

Do you lock your gates? 

8/10/20 4:45 PM
12/17/06

I mean, yeah. Lock shit on your property.

But this isn't on the pool owner. It's on the parents. Sucks that they'll have to carry this for the rest of their lives. There's little worse than losing a child. Knowing you're responsible has to be horrific. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

8/10/20 4:48 PM
9/23/07
Altofsky - 

But this isn't on the pool owner. It's on the parents. Sucks that they'll have to carry this for the rest of their lives. There's little worse than losing a child. Knowing you're responsible has to be horrific. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Exactly.

Its not everyone elses job to childproof their home if they don't have children.

8/10/20 4:49 PM
11/17/10

her body was found at 1245am

i wonder what time of day/night she went missing and roamed into the neighbor's yard/pool

RIP that is terrible and ive had nightmares about my own kid or someone else's kid accidentally falling into our pool and i wake up in cold sweats

8/10/20 4:50 PM
2/25/09

ya it can be avoided, watch your kids.

12/18/08
Altofsky -

Im not placing blame on anyone here but lock up your shit. Its your responsibility as a pool owner to do so too..

11/5/03
Depending on where you live, I think it kind of is on the pool owners to make sure a kid can't just wander over and drown.

"The attractive nuisance doctrine applies to the law of torts in some jurisdictions. It states that a landowner may be held liable for injuries to children trespassing on the land if the injury is caused by an object on the land that is likely to attract children."
8/10/20 4:51 PM
12/18/08
In Limbo -

her body was found at 1245am

i wonder what time of day/night she went missing and roamed into the neighbor's yard/pool

RIP that is terrible and ive had nightmares about my own kid or someone else's kid accidentally falling into our pool and i wake up in cold sweats

You too? Cool! Im glad im not the only one. 

6/3/03
Altofsky -

This. 

This is totally on the parents. How in the fuck do you not know where your 4 year old is at all times. 

Furthermore, swimming is a necessary skill. I started one kid at 5 and one at 2 with swim lessons. As a parent it is our job to equip our kids with the skills they need to survive and thrive in this world; swimming is one and self defense is another imo. 

This has zero to do with the pool owner and everything to do with the parents. 

4/1/15

Teach your kids how to swim. 

8/10/20 4:53 PM
2/13/16
Altofsky -

/thread

8/10/20 4:53 PM
11/17/10
iclimb513 - Depending on where you live, I think it kind of is on the pool owners to make sure a kid can't just wander over and drown.

"The attractive nuisance doctrine applies to the law of torts in some jurisdictions. It states that a landowner may be held liable for injuries to children trespassing on the land if the injury is caused by an object on the land that is likely to attract children."

unfortunately they had a "Grandfather clause" for existing pool owners before a certain time and they were not required by law to have a fence

Provincial regulations now force people who install pools to fence them off, but a grandfather clause exempted existing pool owners from having to adhere to the new guidelines when they were first introduced. 

8/10/20 4:54 PM
9/18/13

Sad, poor girl will never experience life. I can't imagine losing a kid. Yes, if you have an inground pool, you absolutely should have a gate.

8/10/20 4:56 PM
12/18/08
iclimb513 - Depending on where you live, I think it kind of is on the pool owners to make sure a kid can't just wander over and drown.

Ahhhh...

8/10/20 4:58 PM
6/27/05

Simple solution - make kids who can’t swim go to bed wearing a flotation device.

8/10/20 4:59 PM
12/18/08
ChokeHisAss -

Sad, poor girl will never experience life. I can't imagine losing a kid. Yes, if you have an inground pool, you absolutely should have a gate.

Its fuckin heartbreaking... 

Every pool on my route has a locked gate, if they're new clients we don't service until they have one. 

8/10/20 5:00 PM
5/22/07
NorthernHospitality -
Altofsky -

Im not placing blame on anyone here but lock up your shit. Its your responsibility as a pool owner to do so too..

So you are saying it isn't the pool owners fault, but it is the pool owners fault because they weren't responsible enough to lock their pool up.

12/18/08
DuffyLaCoronilla -

Teach your kids how to swim. 

Yassss!

12/18/08
TFK_Anteup13 -
NorthernHospitality -
Altofsky -

So you are saying it isn't the pool owners fault, but it is the pool owners fault because they weren't responsible enough to lock their pool up.

No im saying lock your shit. 

8/10/20 5:02 PM
1/1/01

Good friends of mine experienced something similar. Neighborhood block party. Their daughter, who COULD swim, and a friend went into someone's backyard. The one kid decided to get on the slide, went into the pool, and drowned. My friend's daughter, who COULD swim and was only around 4 years old, was trying to rescue the other kid (unsucessfully). I can't imagine....

I'm glad my friend's daughter wasn't the victim. I feel horrible for the parents and the property owners. Just an all-around tragedy.

Kids can wander off very quickly. One minute, they're right there where you can see them. The next minute, you've been talking to your neighbor and the child is gone... and it's too late.

8/10/20 5:03 PM
12/18/08
In Limbo -

unfortunately they had a "Grandfather clause" for existing pool owners before a certain time and they were not required by law to have a fence

Provincial regulations now force people who install pools to fence them off, but a grandfather clause exempted existing pool owners from having to adhere to the new guidelines when they were first introduced. 

I bet they have a fuckin lock now!  If that was my pool i would just fill it. 

8/10/20 5:04 PM
10/1/02

Yes but you have to have empathy and  recognize that kids will sneak out. Even if the gate is locked many times kids find a way to climb over or pry the door open.

8/10/20 5:05 PM
12/18/08
Khun Kao -

Good friends of mine experienced something similar. Neighborhood block party. Their daughter, who COULD swim, and a friend went into someone's backyard. The one kid decided to get on the slide, went into the pool, and drowned. My friend's daughter, who COULD swim and was only around 4 years old, was trying to rescue the other kid (unsucessfully). I can't imagine....

I'm glad my friend's daughter wasn't the victim. I feel horrible for the parents and the property owners. Just an all-around tragedy.

Kids can wander off very quickly. One minute, they're right there where you can see them. The next minute, you've been talking to your neighbor and the child is gone... and it's too late.

Holy fuck!!!! 

8/7/12
NorthernHospitality -
Altofsky -

Nothing in that article says the pool was or was.not locked up. Just that existing pool owners were originally grandfathered from having to install a fence. 

That's the worse thing about all this besides a child dying. You now have a home owner(s) who have to live with this tragic event even though it looks like they were not to blame (besides owning the pool).

It behooves me that parents dont teach their kids to stay away from water if there are no adults around. Lost a few friends when I was kid who either ventured out into a spillway and drowned or were caught up in tidal waters and couldnt get out. There was a kid a few towns down who even though he was a bit older. Stupidly wandered out unto what he thought was a frozen pool cover. The pool cover collapsed around him as the ice broke. 

Even if it is not a law you should have your pool area fenced off. Yes, the parents are 100% to blame but are currently going through what has to be one of the worst feelings a human can imagine.

4/22/07

I am considering putting in a pool, and will most likely add a gate to separate my backyard into two sections. I keep all my shit locked tight anyway. Thats what paranoid psychos do. In this case I suppose its a good thing. Heartbreaking that such a young kid loat her life. RIP