OtherGround Forums Tonight show cancels norm Macdonald appearance

9/12/18 3:04 PM
2/14/11

Eventually, a “concerned”-looking Fallon himself stopped by Macdonald’s dressing room to ask, “How should we play this?” As Macdonald told Stern, “Part of the reason I love [Jimmy] is because he does nothing about the news. He’s just a song-and-dance man. He’s not a political comedian.” (Interestingly, Macdonald was the second guest on The Tonight Show the night Fallon famously mussed Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s hair.)

Fallon and Macdonald agreed they would address his #MeToo remarks at the end of their interview, following some reminiscing about the late Burt Reynolds (whom Macdonald used to imitate on Saturday Night Live). After Macdonald rebuffed the producers’ idea to open the show with an apology, Fallon returned to say that he was feeling a lot of pressure from people, noting that some senior producers were “crying” over the idea of letting Macdonald appear on-air.

“He was very broken up about it, he didn’t want this,” Macdonald told Stern. Realizing they were facing an impasse, “Jimmy said, ‘Come back whenever you want, but I think it will hurt the show tonight,'” Macdonald related. “I said, ‘Jimmy, that’s the last thing I want to do, is hurt your show.”

9/12/18 3:06 PM
5/3/03

Wow .

9/12/18 3:10 PM
12/10/09

Norm on Stern this morning said that Fallon told him some of his producers were crying. Lol. WTF

9/12/18 3:13 PM
2/3/09

Did anybody read the entire interview he gave? Most of the media running with this are using one or two quotes from said interview and on its own looks bad...but when you read the entire thing, and it's put into context, you can see he's talking about Roseanne's situation and how he's never gone through that, very few people have, but Louis had, and he actually got him to talk to her. Christ, he even defended Jimmy Fallon in it and then got booted from the show lol.

9/12/18 3:24 PM
2/3/09

In 2015, you warned about the dangers of a Trump presidency when most people thought his candidacy was a joke.

Wow. How about that?

Is it as bad as you feared?

Not at all. I don't know anything about the Constitution. But it seems that the framers of this republic figured out how to make it bulletproof to this type of interloper. I don't know what [lasting damage] you could point to except, you know, the Supreme Court judge nomination, which is certainly not an anomaly: I mean, a right-wing guy is going to put in a right-wing guy.

What about all this emboldening of racism, though?

I live in L.A., where I'm always faced with the lunacy of the left. I didn't know that the same lunacy existed on the right. So I never really bought into this notion that everybody is racist — because there was a black president, you know? But the Sacha Baron Cohen show has been a frightening eye-opener. I was also in a bubble, but in a different way. I guess everyone is a fucking idiot. Everyone is an idealogue. Hopefully the pendulum will slow down in the next four years. 

And swing back toward liberalism?

Not necessarily. I'm happy the #MeToo movement has slowed down a little bit. It used to be, "One hundred women can't be lying." And then it became, "One woman can't lie." And that became, "I believe all women." And then you're like, "What?" Like, that Chris Hardwick guy I really thought got the blunt end of the stick there. 

What about when someone admits to wrongdoing?

The model used to be: admit wrongdoing, show complete contrition and then we give you a second chance. Now it's admit wrongdoing and you're finished. And so the only way to survive is to deny, deny, deny. That's not healthy — that there is no forgiveness. I do think that at some point it will end with a completely innocent person of prominence sticking a gun in his head and ending it. That's my guess. I know a couple of people this has happened to.

Who?

Well, Louis [C.K.] and Roseanne [Barr] are the two people I know. And Roseanne was so broken up [after her show's reboot was canceled] that I got Louis to call her, even though Roseanne was very hard on Louis before that. But she was just so broken and just crying constantly. There are very few people that have gone through what they have, losing everything in a day. Of course, people will go, "What about the victims?" But you know what? The victims didn't have to go through that.

What did the two of them talk about?

They both said they had a good conversation and were just giving any advice you could give to each other. There would be no way for me to even understand that advice, because who has ever gone through such a thing? All their work in their entire life being wiped out in a single day, a moment.

Barr gave you your first job in Hollywood. You also wrote for the reboot. Is she a racist?

I always knew her as a very left-wing person. On the original show, she had [a network sitcom's] first gay couple. She would always want more minorities on the show, on the writing staff. When she did this [reboot,] it was all her idea to get all these different orientations and religions and so forth represented. So that's how I always knew her.

So what do you make of her incendiary tweeting?

I had looked on her Twitter feed once in a while. I really couldn't understand her because I am not that worldly in politics. Her feed was so arcane about these Middle East politics. What I do know is that she is a single-issue motivated person. And that issue is Israel. That's all she cares about politically. She is left wing in everything else. But that is why she did not like the Obama administration, because they snubbed Netanyahu. I believe that is the only reason that she voted Trump. She is certainly not a racist. That's just crazy.

You were my favorite "Weekend Update" anchor on Saturday Night Live. What kind of job do you think Colin Jost and Michael Che are currently doing behind the desk?

I like both of those guys. I always really liked Michael's stand-up. Colin comes from Harvard and is a completely different kettle of fish than Michael. But he is an exceptionally good writer. I find Colin's jokes to be very precise and have a lot of respect for those jokes. And I think Michael's delivery is fantastic. He is also a more politically incorrect person, as most stand-ups are compared to most Harvard graduates. But I am a big fan of those two guys.

Michael has drawn some heat for suggesting stand-up comedy has lost the plot — that's its more about confessionals and identity politics than making the audience laugh.

I have never seen the Nanette thing because I never wanted to comment on it. But from what I have read about it, [comedian Hannah Gadsby] is saying that comedy is now not about laughter. And of course that's a slap in the face of a traditional stand-up comedian who thinks that comedy by dictionary definition is about laughter. And that that's your job. You actually do have a job onstage. Nanette doesn't sound like stand-up to me. That sounds like a one-woman show. And one-person shows are, to me, incredibly powerful. But it's not stand-up comedy and it's not the same thing.

What sets Norm MacDonald Has a Show apart from the current wave of comedian-hosted talk shows?

I decided very early on there can be nothing topical. Ever since Jon Stewart, late-night hosts have all been forced to become political pundits, you know? Even down to Jimmy Fallon. And he is derided for his treatment of Donald Trump.

Do you think Fallon has been unfairly criticized?

Completely. He is just all about fun and silliness. That's what his audience wants. And then to be maligned for quote-unquote humanizing Trump. Funny, I thought he was a human. If you have the nominee to be president on your show and he is your guest, then he is your guest. Don't have him on the show if you don't want him.

Edited: 9/12/18 4:17 PM
11/9/10

He also clarified that believing everyone and ruining lives without actual evidence is disturbing. IE Chris Hardwick and how he was treated. It was based on unsubstanitated accusations from one women and he was eventually somewhat vindicated but it still hit him hard and cost him a lot in terms of his professional career and reputation.

In context I don't see anything wrong with the things he said. Instead it's taken in bits and pieces in order to make Norm out to be a terrible person. 

9/12/18 4:03 PM
1/1/01
I am so glad I don't watch any of these late night assclowns. They all sound tedious.

Does Conan make non stop Trump jokes?
9/12/18 4:07 PM
5/10/08
pfsjkd - 

I love Norm to death but he fucked up. Here’s what he said that fucked him:

“There are very few people that have gone through what they (Loius C.K. and Roseanne) have, losing everything in a day. Of course, people will go, 'What about the victims?' But you know what? The victims didn't have to go through that."

This.

That said - who cares?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and everything else he said is spot on.

Fuck Jimmy Fallon. He sucks anyhow.
9/12/18 4:11 PM
5/10/08
Ill Portents - 
Ragingshaneistheanswer -
Charles Barkley -

left are complete pussies, I can't stand them.

Unlike the well adjusted strongmen of the right and their feverish hatred of The Last Jedi and calls for boycotts and even a Kickstarter to remake the movie

Both sides are retarded...

That said the Last Jedi was an abomination.

The left is just far more embarrassing...
9/12/18 4:25 PM
12/2/02
Flyerfan - 

In 2015, you warned about the dangers of a Trump presidency when most people thought his candidacy was a joke.

Wow. How about that?

Is it as bad as you feared?

Not at all. I don't know anything about the Constitution. But it seems that the framers of this republic figured out how to make it bulletproof to this type of interloper. I don't know what [lasting damage] you could point to except, you know, the Supreme Court judge nomination, which is certainly not an anomaly: I mean, a right-wing guy is going to put in a right-wing guy.

What about all this emboldening of racism, though?

I live in L.A., where I'm always faced with the lunacy of the left. I didn't know that the same lunacy existed on the right. So I never really bought into this notion that everybody is racist — because there was a black president, you know? But the Sacha Baron Cohen show has been a frightening eye-opener. I was also in a bubble, but in a different way. I guess everyone is a fucking idiot. Everyone is an idealogue. Hopefully the pendulum will slow down in the next four years. 

And swing back toward liberalism?

Not necessarily. I'm happy the #MeToo movement has slowed down a little bit. It used to be, "One hundred women can't be lying." And then it became, "One woman can't lie." And that became, "I believe all women." And then you're like, "What?" Like, that Chris Hardwick guy I really thought got the blunt end of the stick there. 

What about when someone admits to wrongdoing?

The model used to be: admit wrongdoing, show complete contrition and then we give you a second chance. Now it's admit wrongdoing and you're finished. And so the only way to survive is to deny, deny, deny. That's not healthy — that there is no forgiveness. I do think that at some point it will end with a completely innocent person of prominence sticking a gun in his head and ending it. That's my guess. I know a couple of people this has happened to.

Who?

Well, Louis [C.K.] and Roseanne [Barr] are the two people I know. And Roseanne was so broken up [after her show's reboot was canceled] that I got Louis to call her, even though Roseanne was very hard on Louis before that. But she was just so broken and just crying constantly. There are very few people that have gone through what they have, losing everything in a day. Of course, people will go, "What about the victims?" But you know what? The victims didn't have to go through that.

What did the two of them talk about?

They both said they had a good conversation and were just giving any advice you could give to each other. There would be no way for me to even understand that advice, because who has ever gone through such a thing? All their work in their entire life being wiped out in a single day, a moment.

Barr gave you your first job in Hollywood. You also wrote for the reboot. Is she a racist?

I always knew her as a very left-wing person. On the original show, she had [a network sitcom's] first gay couple. She would always want more minorities on the show, on the writing staff. When she did this [reboot,] it was all her idea to get all these different orientations and religions and so forth represented. So that's how I always knew her.

So what do you make of her incendiary tweeting?

I had looked on her Twitter feed once in a while. I really couldn't understand her because I am not that worldly in politics. Her feed was so arcane about these Middle East politics. What I do know is that she is a single-issue motivated person. And that issue is Israel. That's all she cares about politically. She is left wing in everything else. But that is why she did not like the Obama administration, because they snubbed Netanyahu. I believe that is the only reason that she voted Trump. She is certainly not a racist. That's just crazy.

You were my favorite "Weekend Update" anchor on Saturday Night Live. What kind of job do you think Colin Jost and Michael Che are currently doing behind the desk?

I like both of those guys. I always really liked Michael's stand-up. Colin comes from Harvard and is a completely different kettle of fish than Michael. But he is an exceptionally good writer. I find Colin's jokes to be very precise and have a lot of respect for those jokes. And I think Michael's delivery is fantastic. He is also a more politically incorrect person, as most stand-ups are compared to most Harvard graduates. But I am a big fan of those two guys.

Michael has drawn some heat for suggesting stand-up comedy has lost the plot — that's its more about confessionals and identity politics than making the audience laugh.

I have never seen the Nanette thing because I never wanted to comment on it. But from what I have read about it, [comedian Hannah Gadsby] is saying that comedy is now not about laughter. And of course that's a slap in the face of a traditional stand-up comedian who thinks that comedy by dictionary definition is about laughter. And that that's your job. You actually do have a job onstage. Nanette doesn't sound like stand-up to me. That sounds like a one-woman show. And one-person shows are, to me, incredibly powerful. But it's not stand-up comedy and it's not the same thing.

What sets Norm MacDonald Has a Show apart from the current wave of comedian-hosted talk shows?

I decided very early on there can be nothing topical. Ever since Jon Stewart, late-night hosts have all been forced to become political pundits, you know? Even down to Jimmy Fallon. And he is derided for his treatment of Donald Trump.

Do you think Fallon has been unfairly criticized?

Completely. He is just all about fun and silliness. That's what his audience wants. And then to be maligned for quote-unquote humanizing Trump. Funny, I thought he was a human. If you have the nominee to be president on your show and he is your guest, then he is your guest. Don't have him on the show if you don't want him.

Totally different in that context.

Just goes to show that you have to read EVERYTHING before you form an opinion. Especially one that will ruin someone's career and livelihood.
9/12/18 4:42 PM
11/9/10
lionsoul -
Ill Portents - 
Ragingshaneistheanswer -
Charles Barkley -

left are complete pussies, I can't stand them.

Unlike the well adjusted strongmen of the right and their feverish hatred of The Last Jedi and calls for boycotts and even a Kickstarter to remake the movie

Both sides are retarded...

That said the Last Jedi was an abomination.

The left is just far more embarrassing...

The real reason the Last Jedi sucked is a toxic fan base...

9/12/18 4:45 PM
2/4/06

The left should be destroyed. 

1/5/11

Norm should tell everyone to fuck off. Gilbert too. Gilbert hasn't done anything to offend a snowflake recently, but he will. Gilbert is fucking awesome.

1/1/14

I agree with norm in that #metoo has the potential to be something that it wasn’t meant to be. Hollywood has been a cesspool of sexual abuse and it’s great that people are finally airing their dirty laundry over it but we know there are people that will use #metoo as a weapon to smite the innocent as well. 

Norm saying it will end with some innocent person putting a gun to his own head is scarily accurate. 

9/12/18 4:46 PM
7/15/04

The left is mentally ill

9/12/18 4:48 PM
1/1/01

Norm is awesome, one of the last ballsy comics

9/12/18 4:48 PM
12/9/02
hahahahahaha Norm doesnt give a fuck i promise you that.
9/12/18 5:15 PM
1/1/01
TexDeuce - 

The left is mentally ill

The new left definitely is.   They've moved so much further to the left since the election that Hillary would probably be considered way too centrist for their taste.  IE:  She's just slightly left of Hitler now.

9/12/18 5:46 PM
1/13/04

Summary about the events (up to the 9 minute mark)..

9/12/18 6:30 PM
1/1/01
Charles Barkley - 

This is why the Left, like this jack-off, is eating itself. Constant purity tests.

Doesn't matter if you were a good person most of your life, or if you were a big fan of someone for years. You make one misstep, you can be guaranteed it will be interpreted in the worst possible way, and the reaction is: "You're dead to me."

No one can just be human anymore and just make mistakes, or accept others make mistakes, without the punishment being flushing a career down a toilet, or total abandonment. My gawd these people are short-sighted in their righteousness.

9/12/18 6:44 PM
1/1/01
Sonester Sambo -

The left should be destroyed. 

So you want to destroy people who disagree with you politically. Irony much?

9/12/18 7:00 PM
1/7/09

Twitter is a complete cesspool. Fuck anyone who gets offended by what roseanne said in the first place. It was very obviously a joke, regardless of whether or not you find it funny. Bunch of complete loser retards. They are outraged by a joke on twitter, but don't give a flying fuck about the tens of thousands of black people shooting each other to death, or any other actually meaningful problem. 

People need to stop apologizing to these bullshit professional outrage artists, doing so only empowers them. The correct response is always "i dont give a flying fuck if you are offended" and then ignore them.  Thats chris delia and joe rogans position for example...how many times as Joe said "nigger" on his podcast and no one says shit about it. Because they know he won't play their game.

9/12/18 7:52 PM
12/3/14
Lessphilling -

the new McCarthyism, no one is immune

Everyone is immune except white males that’s the new social justice . Equality is dead 

9/13/18 1:08 AM
11/9/17
Munk - This is the left.

Yep!

9/13/18 1:15 AM
8/26/18
Charles Barkley -

Die slow Courtney.