OtherGround Forums Trudeau doing Trudeau..

6 days ago
1/13/04

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-trevor-noah-money-1.4930216

Trudeau criticized for tweet to Trevor Noah pledging $50M charity gift

Tory Leader Andrew Scheer accused Trudeau of pledging tens of millions to impress a TV host

Canada will contribute $50 million to a global charity for children's education, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted to comedian Trevor Noah, a pledge that quickly drew criticism both for its content and its form.

Celebrities gathered in Johannesburg on Sunday for the Global Citizen Festival: Mandela 100, a charity concert honouring Nelson Mandela a century after he was born.

Trudeau tweeted to Noah, who is hosting the festival, that Canada would give the money to Education Cannot Wait, an organization that funds education for children affected by conflicts, natural disasters and other crises.

Canada raises more than $3.8B for girls' education at G7

Muggings mar Global Citizen Festival charity concert in South Africa

Global Citizen is an organization that wants to end extreme poverty by 2030. Its Mandela 100 campaign sought to bring in $1 billion US in donations, and Global Citizen tweeted that the campaign surpassed that goal, bringing in over $7 billion.

"Hey @Trevornoah - thanks for everything you're doing to celebrate Nelson Mandela's legacy at the @GlblCtzn festival. Sorry I can't be with you - but how about Canada pledges $50M to @EduCannotWait to support education for women & girls around the world? Work for you? Let's do it," Trudeau tweeted to the South African comedian and The Daily Show host.

Noah said "This is amazing!" as Trudeau's tweet was shown on a big screen at the concert.

But back in Canada, critics were less enthusiastic. Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer accused Trudeau of pledging $50 million in a tweet to impress a TV personality.

"Taxpayers need a defender not somebody who throws their money around to be popular with celebrities," Scheer tweeted.

'Tone deaf' tweet says Rempel

Similarly, Conservative MP Michelle Rempel tweeted that Trudeau's message was "tone deaf" and also accused him of trying to get noticed by a TV star, and said the money had not been budgeted for.

Louis Belanger, director of communications for Canadian International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau, said the $50 million is part of $400 million in aid previously announced during the G7 Summit in Charlevoix near Quebec City, in June.

Belanger said Education Cannot Wait is one of the only funds that specifically helps girls' education in places such as refugee camps and war zones.

"This is the type of funding that we had our eye on since we announced it in Quebec City," he said.

Belanger said the decision to announce the $50 million was made three weeks ago, but officials had been talking about giving to Education Cannot Wait for months.

He said the organization operates in Jordan, Lebanon and South Sudan, and in camps where people have been displaced by the west African terrorist group Boko Haram, for example.

"We think it's important for girls to continue their education and that's why we're moving forward," he said.

Trudeau's principal secretary, Gerald Butts, took to Twitter to defend the move.

"This money is going to educate women and girls in the developing world, in commemoration of Nelson Mandela's 100th birthday," he tweeted, adding, "And the Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada's reaction..." and included a link to Scheer's tweet.

Toronto-based lawyer and former Liberal staffer Warren Kinsella tweeted that Education Cannot Wait is a worthy cause, but called Trudeau's tweet an "appalling" way for the decision to be communicated, "to a American-based TV host, no less."

6 days ago
10/16/10
He's very generous with our money, isn't he?
6 days ago
8/23/11

6 days ago
9/4/12

I fucking hate that guy. And living in Nova Scotia, an extremely liberal province, any time I open my mouth if politics come up amongst family or friends I get ganged up on for not thinking he's the second coming of christ. 

6 days ago
1/1/01
Trudon't
6 days ago
1/13/04
Rossiter93 -

I fucking hate that guy. And living in Nova Scotia, an extremely liberal province, any time I open my mouth if politics come up amongst family or friends I get ganged up on for not thinking he's the second coming of christ. 

6 days ago
6/9/10

Is the problem here foreign aid, or the fact he tweeted about it?

6 days ago
9/19/04

Easy to try to impress people with donations when it's not your money. Can he legally do this?

6 days ago
8/12/16

You could pledge 50 trillion a year for 100 years and it won't fix what is broken in some of these places.  A positive culture doesn't come from money, money comes from a productive culture.

That 50 million would be better spent on our own school system so maybe we wouldnt have to shut so many schools down.  

6 days ago
7/4/11

Jesus Christ, Trudeau fucking sucks.

6 days ago
10/15/13
Dashabox -

You could pledge 50 trillion a year for 100 years and it won't fix what is broken in some of these places.  A positive culture doesn't come from money, money comes from a productive culture.

That 50 million would be better spent on our own school system so maybe we wouldnt have to shut so many schools down.  

/Thread

6 days ago
3/13/18
Kamikaze Emu -

Neither. It’s cause he is on the other team

6 days ago
6/9/10
STD Machine -

Easy to try to impress people with donations when it's not your money. Can he legally do this?

Yes, it is legal to fund foreign aid. 

I think you would be hard pressed to find a govt of this country in recent times that did not spend money on foreign aid. 

I am surprised that people are acting like foreign aid is some new fangled thing that Trudeau just invented.

6 days ago
6/7/08

6 days ago
6/20/11
Kamikaze Emu -
STD Machine -

I think you would be hard pressed to find a govt of this country in recent times that did not spend money on foreign aid. 

I am surprised that people are acting like foreign aid is some new fangled thing that Trudeau just invented.

They just want to whine. Tweeting about it puts it in the forefront which goes for the cause as well (this is the goal of a cause). 

6 days ago
10/16/10
Kamikaze Emu - 
STD Machine -

What's the benefit to Canadian taxpayers?
6 days ago
10/16/10
shaqitup - 
Kamikaze Emu -
STD Machine -

They just want to whine. Tweeting about it puts it in the forefront which goes for the cause as well (this is the goal of a cause). 

YOu can answer my question as well.
6 days ago
1/1/01

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2018/12/04/conservatives-should-at-least-get-their-facts-right-when-they-attack-justin-trudeau.html

"When G7 leaders, prompted by the Trudeau government, pledged $3.9 billion to promote girls’ education at their Charlevoix summit in June, we don’t remember the Conservatives condemning it as a waste of money."

So Scheer knew about it in June, didn't say anything. He also knew that the $50 million was part of the $400 million earmarked back in June but now plays ignorant to try to make Trudeau look as shallow as everyone already thinks he is anyway. Just confirms Scheer as the duplicitous snake that he is.

6 days ago
3/13/18

People don’t like foreign aid. I’m guessing people like stache would prefer to give the same amount we used to give under Harper 

Edited: 6 days ago
11/9/10
Kamikaze Emu -

Pledging money as a virtue signal for attention while not giving a shit of where it's coming from is probably why people have a problem with it. He's not pledging forieng aid he's pledging to NGOs in a virtue signal. Foreign aid is money given to foreign governments. Now if you want to say this is more beneficial than donating to a beuacracy I'm not going to disagree. But calling it foreign aid is not accurate. 

6 days ago
1/1/01
Stache -
Kamikaze Emu - 
STD Machine -

What's the benefit to Canadian taxpayers?

Immediate benefit? Goodwill with foreign countries.

Long term? Educated women that might push back against Islamism?

6 days ago
1/1/01
The_Pundits_Ghost -

People don’t like foreign aid. I’m guessing people like stache would prefer to give the same amount we used to give under Harper 

I don't think he would. Harper gave more to Trudeau's friend, the Aga Khan, than Trudeau did.

6 days ago
3/1/09

So the money was already budgeted?

Sorry, don't care then.

6 days ago
10/16/10
The_Pundits_Ghost - 

No. It's time we reevaluate and heavily cut the amount of foreign aid we give. Fuck wasting tax dollars on leftist pipedreams of ending poverty in the 3rd world. We have serious fiscal issues developing in this country and it's on the verge of getting much worse.

But maybe I'm giving you guys too much credit by expecting you to understand what rising interest rates will do to the most historically indebted population in Canadian history.
6 days ago
3/13/17
As a canadian who pays assload of taxes, I support Trudeau and this 50 million donation to help people around the world.