OtherGround Forums Trump Announces "1776" Commission For Patriotism!

9/17/20 6:27 PM
8/1/13

AMAZING! So much for Critcal Race Theory and the ridiculously racist 1619 project....

MAGA!

MAGA!

https://nypost.com/2020/09/17/trump-issues-1776-commission-to-promote-patriotic-education/

Trump reveals 1776 Commission, aimed at promoting ‘patriotic education’

President Trump on Thursday announced a federal “1776 Commission” to promote “patriotic education” and accused Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden and the New York Times of warping history.

Trump said Democrats and the Times’ “1619 Project” promote an inaccurate version of US history by over-emphasizing race and the legacy of slavery.

“I will soon sign an executive order establishing a national commission to promote patriotic education. It will be called the ‘1776 Commission’,” Trump said in 17-minute speech at the National Archives marking the anniversary of the Constitution’s signing.

9/17/20 6:42 PM
6/7/12

History should be taught as it happened with no bias either way. 

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. I dont want to see some nazi or ccp shit where America can do nothing bad. We've done some bad shit and some amazing shit 

9/17/20 6:44 PM
8/1/13
walkinassassin -

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. I dont want to see some nazi or ccp shit where America can do nothing bad. We've done some bad shit and some amazing shit 

Totally correct man, unforturnately they arent doing that in schools now.

9/17/20 6:51 PM
1/1/01

9/17/20 6:56 PM
8/7/12
walkinassassin -

I completely agree that history should not be taught with a bias. I also am in favor of certain individuals never being allowed to teach younger people about history. Yes, in the past the U.S. has done some pretty disturbing shit. However it literally has no sway or favor over shit happening currently and should never.  

9/17/20 7:07 PM
1/27/14
baj54 -
walkinassassin -

I completely agree that history should not be taught with a bias. I also am in favor of certain individuals never being allowed to teach younger people about history. Yes, in the past the U.S. has done some pretty disturbing shit. However it literally has no sway or favor over shit happening currently and should never.  

History has no sway over how things are today? The things our country has done has no bearing on today? Gonna have to strongly disagree with that 

9/17/20 7:31 PM
7/22/09
camicom -
walkinassassin -

Totally correct man, unforturnately they arent doing that in schools now.

Do you have kids in school?

Edited: 9/17/20 7:49 PM
1/1/01
Only way this country will survive is if people WANT it to survive.

There are simply WAY too many young Americans in the streets chanting, among other things, "No Trump, No Wall, no USA at all".

They don't have the faintest idea of what this country is.

The Far Left is fighting to fundamenatally END the United States as we know it and transform it into whatever hellscape of nonsense they think would bring about a utopia.

Something HAS TO fight against that tide.

9/17/20 7:44 PM
12/2/09

If he puts Dan Carlin in charge I’ll allow it. 

9/17/20 7:47 PM
10/27/05

I understand the idea of wanting to combat the rising tide, but I don't know if I'm on board with a Trump directed org changing curriculum.

This feels like a massive over correction move and he should rightfully take criticism for it. We don't need more division like this.

9/17/20 7:51 PM
8/2/04
Thage -

I understand the idea of wanting to combat the rising tide, but I don't know if I'm on board with a Trump directed org changing curriculum.

This feels like a massive over correction move and he should rightfully take criticism for it. We don't need more division like this.

If telling the truth creates division than so be it

9/17/20 7:58 PM
10/27/05
Long Ball Larry - 
Thage -

Oh come on.

Long Ball Larry? 16 year old account barely breaking 1k posts?

I'm starting to think the theory that old accounts are being re-activated or there are some trolls here who created accounts so far in advance it's fucking scary.

9/17/20 8:05 PM
8/13/02
walkinassassin -

How can we tell when history is unbiased?

9/17/20 8:18 PM
6/3/03
camicom -

AMAZING! So much for Critcal Race Theory and the ridiculously racist 1619 project....

MAGA!

MAGA!

https://nypost.com/2020/09/17/trump-issues-1776-commission-to-promote-patriotic-education/

Trump reveals 1776 Commission, aimed at promoting ‘patriotic education’

President Trump on Thursday announced a federal “1776 Commission” to promote “patriotic education” and accused Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden and the New York Times of warping history.

Trump said Democrats and the Times’ “1619 Project” promote an inaccurate version of US history by over-emphasizing race and the legacy of slavery.

“I will soon sign an executive order establishing a national commission to promote patriotic education. It will be called the ‘1776 Commission’,” Trump said in 17-minute speech at the National Archives marking the anniversary of the Constitution’s signing.

9/18/20 3:22 AM
8/2/04
Thage -
Long Ball Larry - 
Thage -

Oh come on.

Long Ball Larry? 16 year old account barely breaking 1k posts?

I'm starting to think the theory that old accounts are being re-activated or there are some trolls here who created accounts so far in advance it's fucking scary.

Just a lurker. See you cunts in another few months

9/18/20 3:25 AM
9/1/04
shen - Only way this country will survive is if people WANT it to survive.

There are simply WAY too many young Americans in the streets chanting, among other things, "No Trump, No Wall, no USA at all".

They don't have the faintest idea of what this country is.

The Far Left is fighting to fundamenatally END the United States as we know it and transform it into whatever hellscape of nonsense they think would bring about a utopia.

Something HAS TO fight against that tide.

So true.

9/18/20 4:12 AM
12/27/06
Thage -

Not in the slightest people are really poor at math when it comes to population size and actual skilled members of the population

Edited: 9/18/20 4:25 AM
4/25/13

9/18/20 5:04 AM
11/1/06

So which historians will be deciding on what “patriotic” history will be taught?

Edited: 9/18/20 5:25 AM
2/27/03

Patriotic History??  So like Japan and China?

Why the fuck can't we just have the unadulterated truth being taught - good and bad - but in tandem with Civics.

So our kids can understand and appreciate our system of government, value of citizenship and importance of keeping this grand experiment alive.

https://www.dw.com/en/japans-nationalist-school-books-teach-a-different-view-of-history/a-40092325

9/19/20 4:27 PM
4/13/12

executive order.  so biden will just overturn it in january.

9/19/20 4:35 PM
3/25/11

We also need parents to teach this to their children. 

Fly flags, show respect to the people who came before us and made our way of living so remarkably easy for us. 

It's seen as "corny" by some people. But Fuck that, there's a reason my great grandfather came here. 

9/19/20 5:10 PM
8/26/18

The bicentennial of 1776 always reminds me of that mural in Corona off the 91. Sadly it won't qualify for historical status as it's been ruled "too degraded". Maybe Cami can reach out to the trumpster and turn this thing around. Assuming Cami has a direct line to the big man himself. 

Edited: 9/19/20 8:15 PM
1/1/01
If Trump wants to create an executive order addressing education, he should focus on the longstanding problem with math and science (and how we rank internationally) – not wasting federal resources on the teaching nationalistic historical tropes.

Yes, the USA is within the top ten of major countries in terms of education completion. We have more high school and college graduates than ever before.

However, even a superficial review of available data shows that USA K-12 education - as a whole - ranks near the bottom of most major industrialized countries in terms of content knowledge (especially math and science). It's been that way for a very long time. We are a nation of educated idiots.

And when you look at how USA K-12 education ranks by state, you’ll find that the lower a state falls in the ranking, the more likely that state is a so-called “red state.”

The irony is that a number of studies show that high school and incoming freshman across the board are actually very confident of their academic abilities in a way which is disproportionate to the USA’s international rankings. On one hand, the average American student is one of the most confident students in the world in terms of what they think they know as well as about what he or she might believe about themselves and others. But on the other hand, the average American student has a degree of academic underperformance (and even ignorance) with respect to empirical, real-world knowledge which shouldn't be the case in the so-called "greatest country on earth."

Trump could fix this if he focused on it. But his efforts to fix it are merely appeals to his right wing, “Merica-lovin” base, not actually address the what’s really wrong with our education system.

9/19/20 8:25 PM
1/1/01
And with respect to the 1776 commission: If it’s just a means to teach nationalism, then I think it’s fascist trash. History should be history to the extent we can teach it while minimizing biases and situating historical facts in their social contexts.

The USA has done some great things, and its been part of some repugnant shit that one might rationalize as needed to meet a greater good. There’s also been things that are wrong that cannot be justified as being “right” today.

That why some of the historical teaching tendencies in some parts of the USA today (e.g. teaching the whole of history, correcting mistruths such as Columbus discovered America, properly contextualizing the Confederacy as treachery, etc.) are efforts to teach the whole of history, not destroy it. They confront the biases that prevent full engagement with historical context. They are not anti-American. They contribute to a pro truth dialogue.

Some on the right think they want patriotic history, but they really should be clear on what that means. It’s not teaching the whole of history; it’s teaching only one point of view. So called Patriotic history will be a hyper nationalistic indoctrination about history, not an education on history. It’s yet another step towards totalitarianism that is made possible by the fact that we are a nation of idiots as a whole, with some of those idiots being educated, and some not.