OtherGround Forums Trump: No workie, no food stamps!

12/5/19 11:27 AM
4/13/12

Nearly 700,000 SNAP Recipients Could Lose Benefits Under New Trump Rule

December 4, 201911:50 AM ET

Heard on All Things Considered

The Trump administration is tightening work requirements for some food stamp recipients, a change that is expected to eliminate Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits for 688,000 adults.

The new rule makes it more difficult for states to waive a requirement that able-bodied adults without children work at least 20 hours a week or else lose their benefits. The administration says the change is intended to encourage those receiving SNAP to get jobs, but anti-hunger advocates worry it will hurt low-income individuals who can't find steady work.

"We need to encourage people by giving them a helping hand, but not allowing it to become an infinitely giving hand," U.S. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said in a press release. "Now, in the midst of the strongest economy in a generation, we need everyone who can work, to work."

The new rule impacts able-bodied adults between the ages of 18 and 49 without dependents. There were nearly 4 million such adults receiving food stamps in 2016, about three-quarters of whom did not work, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Some estimates say the changes could save nearly $5 billion over five years.

SNAP statutes already limit adults to three months of benefits in a three-year period unless they meet the 20 hours per week requirement, but many states currently waive that requirement in high unemployment areas. This change would make those waivers harder to get.

"The rule restores the system to what Congress intended: assistance through difficult times, not a way of life," Perdue said. As NPR reported last year, though, Congress passed the farm bill without changes like these to SNAP.

Provisions of the new rule are slated to take effect on April 1, 2020.

But opposition to the change is strong, and legal challenges are possible. States say it will impose a huge administrative burden on social service agencies, and congressional Democrats have already threatened to sue if the change goes into effect.

Democratic Sen. Debbie Stabenow of Michigan, the ranking member of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry, criticized the rule.

"There's a reason Republicans and Democrats overwhelmingly rejected this callous proposal in the Farm Bill and instead focused on bipartisan job training opportunities that actually help families find good paying jobs," she said in a statement.

House Agriculture Committee ranking member K. Michael Conaway issued a statement praising the decision to move forward with the rule while acknowledging that many SNAP recipients are unable to work because they are either disabled or serving as primary caregivers for relatives.

"But for those whose situations allow it, employment is a chance to regain dignity and purpose, and contribute to our economy and society," he said.

James D. Weill, president of the nonprofit Food Research & Action Center, said in a statement that the change would take food off the tables of thousands of Americans, many of whom live in areas with few available jobs.

"The final rule would cause serious harm to individuals, communities, and the nation while doing nothing to improve the health and employment of those impacted by the rule," Weill said. "In addition, the rule would harm the economy, grocery retailers, agricultural producers, and communities by reducing the amount of SNAP dollars available to spur local economic activity."

Craig Gundersen, a professor of agriculture and consumer economics at the University of Illinois, told NPR in April that there is no evidence that receiving food stamps discourages work.

"The idea that people are ripping off the system of something, that's just not true," he said.

A public comment period drew more than 100,000 responses before it closed in April.

Rachel Treisman is an intern on NPR's National Desk.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/04/784732180/nearly-700-000-snap-recipients-could-lose-benefits-under-new-trump-rule

12/5/19 11:29 AM
1/1/01

Edited: 12/5/19 11:30 AM
6/28/10

MAGA!

MAWA!

12/5/19 11:30 AM
8/27/11

This is common sense. I’m genuinely interested in the lib spin. 

12/5/19 11:31 AM
8/7/19
DaveFu - 

LOL

Le Shat
©
12/5/19 11:31 AM
1/1/01

Sugar and corn commodity prices will tank....

12/5/19 11:34 AM
3/18/02
Charles Barkley - 

theyve already started calling him......sit down for this because youre not going to believe it....a racist. 

Americans love paying high taxes so scammers can buy seafood and junk with foodstamps.  

12/5/19 11:35 AM
4/13/12
Charles Barkley -

i don't know how you can really object to it but it doesn't really do much.  there are still 36M people that use the program and this saves less than $1B a year.  i suppose you could criticize that there are more important things we could be working on. 

but maybe this throws a bone to the base and now they can stop worrying about all the people laying around their houses living off the government that don't want to work.

12/5/19 11:36 AM
11/5/19
EFM - 
Charles Barkley -

i don't know how you can really object to it but it doesn't really do much.  there are still 36M people that use the program and this saves less than $1B a year.  i suppose you could criticize that there are more important things we could be working on. 

but maybe this throws a bone to the base and now they can stop worrying about all the people laying around their houses living off the government that don't want to work.

Cool 5 years and wall is paid for
4/13/12
DaveFu -

Sugar and corn commodity prices will tank....

its 700k people.that's 1/5 of 1% of the country.

4/13/12
LILBROCK2 -
EFM - 
Charles Barkley -

wall's 20B, isn't it?

12/5/19 11:44 AM
6/13/03

Oh snap!

12/5/19 11:48 AM
11/5/19
EFM - 
LILBROCK2 -
EFM - 
Charles Barkley -

wall's 20B, isn't it?

Oh I thought the initial request was around $5b. Well, cut $4b more per year and have the bitch built up in 5 years. Maybe build 2 and be done in 10
12/5/19 11:56 AM
4/27/15

In before the OG virtue-signalers and useful idiots show up in force

12/5/19 12:08 PM
11/5/19
Grumpy cat “good”
12/5/19 12:23 PM
5/14/10
So in order to get the government to give you 'free' stuff you have to work for it and pay taxes to the government? LOL! Whatever works!
12/5/19 12:37 PM
8/7/19
Black Dougie - 

In before the OG virtue-signalers and useful idiots show up in force

Way to make children starve Dougie!

Le Shat
©
12/5/19 12:38 PM
12/2/05
OH SNAP!
12/5/19 12:43 PM
2/9/12

I’d love to see what the libtards say. In. 

12/5/19 12:46 PM
3/22/10

Sucks that this is gonna affect the majority of his base. Doubt they thought of that

12/5/19 12:47 PM
2/9/12
daxfactor -

Sucks that this is gonna affect the majority of his base. Doubt they thought of that

^^^^there it is!

12/5/19 12:49 PM
10/15/13
daxfactor -

You ever think doing the right thing, rather than the popular thing, is more important? 

12/5/19 12:49 PM
6/26/06
Literally Hitler?

My Fuehrer?

Heil Trump then!

Sieg!
Heil!

Sieg!
Heil!

Sieg!
Heil!

AMERICA UBER ALLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12/5/19 12:50 PM
8/29/09
EFM -
Charles Barkley -

Trimming the fat.  I don't want to end social programs, but I believe most are bloated and abused.  Stop the abuse without punishing those that need the help.  

And $1billion dollars is a lot of money.  It's amazing that there is so much waste that cutting $1billion is considered insignificant.

12/5/19 12:56 PM
5/14/10
Doesn't this imply that even if you have a job in America you still won't be able to afford to eat without a handout? I get that some people absolutely cannot work and need assistance, but these people are proving they are able to work. Why help them at all? That's not fair at all to the people who work and pay taxes and don't get food stamps. Why should they have to pay for someone else to eat just because the other person has a shitty job? Do you feel like you should buy lunch for everyone who works at McDonals? Maybe I'm still half asleep I am not getting the celebration here.