OtherGround Forums Trump to NRA: no Universal background checks

Edited: 30 days ago
2/16/05

Days after considering the implementation of universal background checks, President Donald Trump has sidelined the issue.

Earlier this afternoon, according to a person briefed on the call, the president told LaPierre in another phone call that universal background checks were off the table. “He was cementing his stance that we already have background checks and that he’s not waffling on this anymore,” the source told me. “He doesn’t want to pursue it.” In the call, the source added, Trump said he wanted to focus now on “increasing funding” for mental-health care and directing attorneys general across the country to start prosecuting “gun crime” through federal firearms charges from the Justice Department.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/08/trump-background-checks-nra/596413/

30 days ago
3/3/18

Days after making a statement, Trump has reversed himself after cucking to a special interest group

Drain the swamp maga etc

30 days ago
9/27/07
Ill Portents -

Days after making a statement, Trump has reversed himself after cucking to a special interest group

Drain the swamp maga etc

Do you have a problem with him wanting to increase funding for behavioral health as well?

30 days ago
11/25/10
rubbermonkey -
Ill Portents -

Drain the swamp maga etc

Do you have a problem with him wanting to increase funding for behavioral health as well?

If you talk about the mental helath problem you LITERALLY HAVE BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS YOU NRA NAZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 days ago
11/25/10

In all seriousness, NRA and Trump are making a mistake by not tackling the gunshow loophole.  Most americans, even NRA members, would get behind that IMO.

30 days ago
1/1/01
In all seriousness stfu.
6/13/03
8flat -

In all seriousness, NRA and Trump are making a mistake by not tackling the gunshow loophole.  Most americans, even NRA members, would get behind that IMO.

Why is nobody calling to fix the NICS backround check sysyem currently in place first? There have been considerably more mass shooters who were not properly flagged in the system when they should have been, than shooters who used a "gunshow loophole". I dont recall a single shooter who used the gunshow loophole big bad wolf.

30 days ago
9/27/07
8flat -

The gun show "loophole" is a myth unless you are buying from an individual. FFL dealers are required to perform the same background as if you walked into their store.

Source: someone that has attended multiple gun shows and made made multiple purchases....

30 days ago
2/16/05
rubbermonkey -
Ill Portents -

Drain the swamp maga etc

If that’s the issue, he should reverse his reversal of the Obama bill that helped limit access to guns for people with mental illness. 

30 days ago
9/27/07
SalaciousCrumb -
rubbermonkey -
Ill Portents -

Drain the swamp maga etc

If that’s the issue, he should reverse his reversal of the Obama bill that helped limit access to guns for people with mental illness. 

You don't comprehend well do you?

30 days ago
6/27/05
SalaciousCrumb -
rubbermonkey -
Ill Portents -

Drain the swamp maga etc

You have to be one stupid motherfucker to keep repeating this one...  It fucked over people who aren’t mentally ill and that’s why there was opposition on both sides.  On top of that it would’ve been thrown out in court because it’s unconstitutional.

30 days ago
9/22/16
There is no such thing as a "Gun Show Loophole". Completely made-up bullshit.
30 days ago
12/22/10

Good. 

Criminals don't obey laws, anyway, and murder is already illegal. 

30 days ago
1/1/01
rubbermonkey -
SalaciousCrumb -
rubbermonkey -
Ill Portents -

Drain the swamp maga etc

You don't comprehend well do you?

He doesn't....He's special....

30 days ago
9/10/07
AnthonyWeiner - There is no such thing as a "Gun Show Loophole". Completely made-up bullshit.

its a stupid name, but the concept of universal background check is not complicated. all gun sales, except for transfers within families, should go through the same background checks as one bought at a store.

30 days ago
2/16/05
Stu Cazzo -
SalaciousCrumb -
rubbermonkey -
Ill Portents -

Drain the swamp maga etc

You have to be one stupid motherfucker to keep repeating this one...  It fucked over people who aren’t mentally ill and that’s why there was opposition on both sides.  On top of that it would’ve been thrown out in court because it’s unconstitutional.

Right. Because if aren’t capable of managing your own finances due to mental impairment or illness, you stil need to be ready for a violent overthrow of the government. 

30 days ago
2/25/17

We need to ban the Gun Show Loophole so people cant buy Assualt Rifles....

i used two bullshit made up terms in the same sentence!

30 days ago
1/1/01
8flat - 

I no longer have any idea what people mean when they refer to a "gun show loophole."  A gun dealer at a gun show must conduct a background check the same as if they were selling the gun from their store.  

If you are referring to private sales between residents of the same state, yes, that can occur at a gun show, or a parking lot, or a driveway, etc.  There is nothing special about gunshows, other than for some reason they seem to scare anti-gun people ("oh my God, people show and sell guns!?").   

States can implement requirements for background checks in private sales, and some have already.  They don't need to have the Federal government do it.   The fact that most states have not done so, though, may reflect the general public's opinion on universal background checks. 

30 days ago
6/27/05
SalaciousCrumb -
Stu Cazzo -
SalaciousCrumb -
rubbermonkey -
Ill Portents -

Drain the swamp maga etc

Right. Because if aren’t capable of managing your own finances due to mental impairment or illness, you stil need to be ready for a violent overthrow of the government. 

Wrong - 

Adding more innocent Americans to the National Instant Criminal Background database because of a mental disability is a disturbing trend — one that could be applied to voting, parenting or other rights dearer than gun ownership. We opposed it because it would do little to stem gun violence but do much to harm our civil rights.

3/16/11
Trust -
8flat - 

I no longer have any idea what people mean when they refer to a "gun show loophole."  A gun dealer at a gun show must conduct a background check the same as if they were selling the gun from their store.  

If you are referring to private sales between residents of the same state, yes, that can occur at a gun show, or a parking lot, or a driveway, etc.  There is nothing special about gunshows, other than for some reason they seem to scare anti-gun people ("oh my God, people show and sell guns!?").   

States can implement requirements for background checks in private sales, and some have already.  They don't need to have the Federal government do it.   The fact that most states have not done so, though, may reflect the general public's opinion on universal background checks. 

The gun show loophole is when I wear a sleeveless shirt and women see the guns, they let me touch their loophole.

30 days ago
9/10/07
Trust -
8flat - 

or, it reflects that state level politicals are as influenced by the NRA as federal politicians.

this has been polled many times, worded many different ways (never as "gun show loophole"), and always has 85%-90% support.

30 days ago
12/17/06
Stu Cazzo -
SalaciousCrumb -
Stu Cazzo -
SalaciousCrumb -
rubbermonkey -
Ill Portents -

Drain the swamp maga etc

Wrong - 

Adding more innocent Americans to the National Instant Criminal Background database because of a mental disability is a disturbing trend — one that could be applied to voting, parenting or other rights dearer than gun ownership. We opposed it because it would do little to stem gun violence but do much to harm our civil rights.

This.

1/25/07
dabigchet -
AnthonyWeiner - There is no such thing as a "Gun Show Loophole". Completely made-up bullshit.

its a stupid name, but the concept of universal background check is not complicated. all gun sales, except for transfers within families, should go through the same background checks as one bought at a store.

I don't understand why anyone would be against this. First time I did it in Canada I thought it was a nuisance and then the first time I bought I used gun I couldn't believe that I had to do it again and now I don't care. It doesn't take that long. I'm not sure but the rifle I bought for my son went through super fast, so if you've gone through the process once before you must be fast tracked.

Background checks make sense; they are largely supported by the people, doesn't infringe of the rights of average citizens and might actually stop a mass shooting or two in the next ten years. Seems like such an obvious thing to get done, but it won't because the NRA lobby owns DC and markets ideology to their members.

After the background checks are in place, laws that brutally punish parents whose kids get access to their guns, and use them violently, might create an environment where there is less mass shootings. My son owns a gun, and knows how to use it, but he has no access to it.

Adam Lanza is the perfect example imo, he would have failed a background check and if he didn't have access to his mom's guns he would not have had the means to kill so many. The aurora shooter would have failed a background check, and so would the parkland shooter -- so that's at least three people.

30 days ago
4/22/03
rubbermonkey -
8flat -

The gun show "loophole" is a myth unless you are buying from an individual. FFL dealers are required to perform the same background as if you walked into their store.

Source: someone that has attended multiple gun shows and made made multiple purchases....

This, lol. Wtf? The “loop hole” would be someone selling a gun illegally, no?

30 days ago
12/2/05
dabigchet -

There's a commerce clause issue with this being done at a federal level IMO. Won't stop anything either IMO. which shooter would have been foiled by such a system?