OtherGround Forums Trump wins again: NATO countries pay double

7 days ago
6/3/03

Fucking hell, this dude is unstoppable. 

Under President Donald Trump, the number of countries in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) alliance meeting their treaty-imposed financial obligations has doubled. Additionally, NATO spending has increased $130 billion and is on track to be boosted to $400 billion by 2024. Meanwhile, as promised by President Trump, the United States’ hefty contribution to the alliance has dropped from 20% to 16%

“In the [three] decades before my election, NATO spending declined by two-thirds, and only [three] other NATO members were meeting their financial obligations. Since I took office, the number of NATO allies fulfilling their obligations more than DOUBLED, and NATO spending increased by $130B!” the president boasted via Twitter, on Monday.

At a conference on Tuesday in London, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg praised Trump’s leadership with respect to the alliance’s progress.

“We are making real progress, most importantly on the burden sharing,” Secretary General Stoltenberg told reporters. “And your leadership on defense spending is having a real impact. Since 2016, Canada and European allies have added $130 billion more to the defense budgets, and this number will increase to 400 billion U.S. dollars by 2024.”

“This is unprecedented,” he continued. “This is making NATO stronger. And it shows that this alliance is adapting, responding when the world is changing.”

“Thank you for your leadership and your strong commitment to NATO,” Mr. Stoltenberg added.

President Trump has long been skeptical of the alliance, primarily because of the U.S.’s hefty contribution relative to other countries’ portions. During the conference, Trump heaped praise upon Mr. Stoltenberg and again highlighted the headway he’s made with the alliance.

“I think he’s doing a fantastic job,” Trump said of Stoltenberg. “I’m a big fan. His contract was extended; I was very happy about that. But you really are — you’re doing a fantastic job. We appreciate it.”

“I think the Secretary General will tell you that, through some work and some negotiation, we’ve increased the budget of countries other than the USA, because we’re paying far more than anybody else, and far more even as a percentage of GDP,” Trump continued. “But we’ve increased the numbers that other countries are paying, by $130 billion. It was going down for close to 20 years. If you look at a chart, it was like a roller coaster down, nothing up. And that was going on for a long time. You wouldn’t have had a NATO if you kept going that way.”

“And now we’ve really increased it incredibly well, and I’m happy to have helped. But the Secretary has been looking to do that for a long time. And, I can tell you, he’s very happy about it,” added Trump.

Despite the progress, President Trump is still pushing other countries to meet their obligatory financial standards.

“Some [countries] are way below 1%,” Trump told reporters on Tuesday, “and that’s unacceptable. And if something happens, we’re supposed to protect them. And it’s not really fair, and it never has been fair.”

Delinquent countries have to pay up, Trump added, noting that “if they don’t want to, I’ll have to do something with respect to trade. And with trade, I hold all the cards.”

7 days ago
1/1/01
He's so badass. Add this to the "When does Trump get the credit" thread.
7 days ago
6/3/03
JitsuGuy - He's so badass. Add this to the "When does Trump get the credit" thread.

You seriously have to wonder what history books will say about this dude, especially if he keeps up this momentum through 2024. 

Will they still brand him as literally Hitler or will they actually give him props for what he’s done?

7 days ago
3/16/15

He was spot on in his criticism of other NATO countries' spending levels.  He delivered for us.

MAGA

7 days ago
1/1/01

I would pull out of NATO it does nothing for us.  Let Europe foot the bill to defend itself

7 days ago
6/26/06
Tim Duncan - 

I would pull out of NATO it does nothing for us.  Let Europe foot the bill to defend itself

This is the next best thing, and in the real world is THE best thing that can happen. Just bailing on nato altogether would be cutting of our nose to spite our face, we'd lose all leverage and support. But simply asking for others to pull their weight as agreed is a move that cant be criticized and hence they're falling in line.
7 days ago
8/1/13

MAGA

7 days ago
2/19/14

this is pretty fuckin amazing. 

and i don't see anything on msm

7 days ago
10/4/18
Winning
7 days ago
1/20/11

Google "nato trump" and read the actual New York Mag article, as well as the headlines from other publications that pop up like Politico. 

7 days ago
1/25/04

https://cnsnews.com/article/international/patrick-goodenough/biden-says-trump-jeopardizing-nato-even-allies-defense

Biden Says Trump Is Jeopardizing NATO, Even as Allies’ Defense Spending Continues to Climb

7 days ago
11/21/05
camicom - 

MAGA

7 days ago
6/3/03

Not surprisingly all the OG leftists are avoiding this thread as vigorously as they avoid vagina. 

7 days ago
3/18/02

hes a bully!

Americans love paying taxes to defend the whole world!

orange man bad!!11one

7 days ago
2/13/16
Nitecrawler -

Not surprisingly all the OG leftists are avoiding this thread as vigorously as they avoid vagina. 

LOL

Edited: 7 days ago
3/16/10
Nitecrawler -
JitsuGuy - He's so badass. Add this to the "When does Trump get the credit" thread.

You seriously have to wonder what history books will say about this dude, especially if he keeps up this momentum through 2024. 

Will they still brand him as literally Hitler or will they actually give him props for what he’s done?

Of course they will.  (Literally Hitler)

7 days ago
10/14/02
but biden said......
7 days ago
3/14/06

I can barely stomach all this winning.

Trump gets shit done

7 days ago
7/30/14

Everyone should pay their fair share. I don’t think he ever realistically wanted to pull out of NATO but played his hand well. Great job negotiating.

France and Germany were the first people to complain about the U.K. paying what we owe for leaving their EU project yet are happy to renege on their own responsibilities.

7 days ago
3/18/02
eubie5 - 

because the MSM is a defacto political organization/party and has an interest in creating only their narrative 

its disgusting and one of the reasons a lot of otherwise reasonable people and centrists just want to vomit when they think of the democratic party/modern left

7 days ago
1/1/01
UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 

He was spot on in his criticism of other NATO countries' spending levels.  He delivered for us.

MAGA

I agree.

I don't understand why no other president tried to make these countries pay for more of their own defense. It's insane how much the U.S. spend on other countries.
7 days ago
4/9/16
eubie5 -

Checked myself and couldn't find anything either. Some CNN article claiming he lied 21 times and a Politico article with “Distuptor in chief” in the title. 

Maaaaaaaan I hate the MSM.

7 days ago
3/15/06
shen -
UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 

MAGA

I agree.

I don't understand why no other president tried to make these countries pay for more of their own defense. It's insane how much the U.S. spend on other countries.

Because they want to be liked, Trump thrives on being the heal. If the choice is to get what he wants or to be liked, he doesn't even see a choice. He probably feels glee when an entire room is filled with excruciating uncomfortableness. Everyone told him that he couldn't do that and NATO and our allies were too important to stand up for our country. He disagreed.

7 days ago
2/19/14
BigEyedFish -
eubie5 - 

because the MSM is a defacto political organization/party and has an interest in creating only their narrative 

its disgusting and one of the reasons a lot of otherwise reasonable people and centrists just want to vomit when they think of the democratic party/modern left

Yep

7 days ago
3/13/18
Nitecrawler -

Your thread title is dramatically inaccurate. The pay didn’t double. The number of countries paying their 2% doubled. 

It’s a big win in the right direction, to be sure. It’s nothing like what the thread title implies, but that won’t matter to those that just want to cheer without reading.