OtherGround Forums Under desk bikes, exercisers... worthless?

3 days ago
1/1/01
Anyone use one?

I picked up a 35-40 dollar basic model from a thrift shop for 5 bucks. Used it for 30 minutes while watching a game last night. The idea is if I'm gonna sit on my ass and watch some bullshit or watch some boring training videos, may as well keep my feet/legs active at least. There are more expensive ones, trying this one to see if I like doing it before getting a good one.

Required zero exertion while I was using it, my body temp went up a little - got a hint of a sweat on my shoulders neck. Can't imagine many calories were burned. Probably worth it if it's in addition to a real workout routine. Mentally it seems like it will at least help keep you in an active, non-sedentary mindset. If you're fat though and think this will help... probably not at all imo.
3 days ago
2/22/13

Beats doing nothing when sitting at your desk at work I suppose.

3 days ago
1/1/01
WendyIDMT - 

Yeah, it's super easy to just stick your feet in and pedal. Doing it right now, have been for like 15 minutes. Kind of dissipates fidget energy and is relaxing. This one is squeaking a little though, probably sounds like I'm jacking off. I guess the better ones are silent.

The main issue would be the thing sliding around I think. I have it against the wall on carpet so it's fine. Otherwise you'd need a rubber mat most likely. Ankle weights would probably add to the burn too.
3 days ago
4/13/12
PeteyWheatstraw -
WendyIDMT - 

Yeah, it's super easy to just stick your feet in and pedal. Doing it right now, have been for like 15 minutes. Kind of dissipates fidget energy and is relaxing. This one is squeaking a little though, probably sounds like I'm jacking off. I guess the better ones are silent.

The main issue would be the thing sliding around I think. I have it against the wall on carpet so it's fine. Otherwise you'd need a rubber mat most likely. Ankle weights would probably add to the burn too.

just need to let the whole office know about it.  then you can jerk off at work and everyone will assume it's your bike.

3 days ago
2/22/13
PeteyWheatstraw -
WendyIDMT - 

One of the docs I worked with had one and seemed to like.  Been tempted just due to the fidgety part.

3 days ago
1/1/01
EFM - 
PeteyWheatstraw -
WendyIDMT - 

just need to let the whole office know about it.  then you can jerk off at work and everyone will assume it's your bike.

lol. genius.

"Hey guys, I'm exercise biking again. Fitness rules! I like to exercise alone, so nobody come over here for 15 minutes, OK?"
3 days ago
8/10/11

I have a standing desk. So instead of peddaling or anything I spend about 80% of my day just on my feet. Took me a while but I absolutely love it now. Downside is when I have to go to a training seminar or something and sit for 6-8 hours it drives me insane. 

3 days ago
1/1/01
WendyIDMT - 
PeteyWheatstraw -
WendyIDMT - 

One of the docs I worked with had one and seemed to like.  Been tempted just due to the fidgety part.

If I'm doing something where I have to focus and absorb info, fidget energy is distracting. This would probably help. If I'm doing something where I have to apply myself and do something it might be distracting.

Think I just convinced myself to get one. Looking at either the Desk-Cycle or the Sunny Health & Fitness Sf-b0418.
3 days ago
2/22/13
PeteyWheatstraw -
WendyIDMT - 
PeteyWheatstraw -
WendyIDMT - 

If I'm doing something where I have to focus and absorb info, fidget energy is distracting. This would probably help. If I'm doing something where I have to apply myself and do something it might be distracting.

Think I just convinced myself to get one. Looking at either the Desk-Cycle or the Sunny Health & Fitness Sf-b0418.

Price?  Also, the jerking off idea is pure genius.

3 days ago
1/1/01
ClevelandCursed - 

I have a standing desk. So instead of peddaling or anything I spend about 80% of my day just on my feet. Took me a while but I absolutely love it now. Downside is when I have to go to a training seminar or something and sit for 6-8 hours it drives me insane. 

Yeah, those are the thing now. Standing desk and a tall, comfortable stool. Fuck sitting on your ass 8-10 hours a day.
3 days ago
1/1/01
WendyIDMT - 
PeteyWheatstraw -
WendyIDMT - 
PeteyWheatstraw -
WendyIDMT - 

Price?  Also, the jerking off idea is pure genius.

The Desk-Cycle I guess is the top of the line, like 150 bucks. The Sunny brand one seems highly rated too and is 100 from Walmart. The pedal action on this cheapy kind of sucks, I turned the tension up but it just made it less smooth and move around more. With low tension at least it's a smooth motion. I guess the higher quality ones are heavier have a fancier tension setup for smoother pedaling.

Jerking off WHILE pedaling the bike might be intriguing. That's gotta be some extra calories right there. Supplemental exertion?
3 days ago
2/17/11

The company I work for is doing some contract work for this company that makes a new type of chair that's supposed to be better for your back as well as other benefits...  https://qor360.com/

3 days ago
1/1/01

Is it noisy?

3 days ago
1/1/01
Aiderbooze - 

The company I work for is doing some contract work for this company that makes a new type of chair that's supposed to be better for your back as well as other benefits...  https://qor360.com/

Very nice chairs. I could see a 300+ pound person stress-testing all that expensive ergonomic science though. $350 - $500 per chair is up there.

This one is funny to me. I could see some pretentious creative director douchebag perched upon "The Cleo".

3 days ago
1/1/01
deepu - 

Is it noisy?

Not supposed to be, mine is cheap and used so it squeaks slightly. All the better ones advertise being silent as a selling point.
3 days ago
11/16/17

Why do that when you can make room underneath to take a nap

3 days ago
1/1/01

I've been thinking of getting one.

Good thread

3 days ago
11/28/03

just get a vibrating belt and never excersize agaib man wearing an abdominal belt

3 days ago
10/16/07
PeteyWheatstraw - 
Aiderbooze - 

Very nice chairs. I could see a 300+ pound person stress-testing all that expensive ergonomic science though. $350 - $500 per chair is up there.

This one is funny to me. I could see some pretentious creative director douchebag perched upon "The Cleo".

basically an exercise ball of variable height that won't roll away but will hurt your ass?
3 days ago
1/1/01
sacredhate - 
PeteyWheatstraw - 
Aiderbooze - 

basically an exercise ball of variable height that won't roll away but will hurt your ass?

The other ones are more standard looking with padded seat. I think there's an extra pad you can get for that one. The Cleo needs accoutrements.
3 days ago
1/14/16

Why not just exercise for real, then recover and rest for real?

3 days ago
1/1/01
Icy Mike - 

I think these are kind of aimed at elderly or people that sit for their jobs. Diabetics. I lift, diet and do cardio regularly. These just interest me as a "well, if I'm gonna be sitting anyways..." maintain/improve focus while being a little active type deal. Keep a "non-sedentary" mindset as much as possible.

I think they would only use like 5% of your attention, so you could do other useful mentally productive things. Whereas on an airdyne or stationary bike, too much of your attention is going to be focused on getting a good workout to think about much else.
3 days ago
1/14/16
PeteyWheatstraw -
Icy Mike - 

I think these are kind of aimed at elderly or people that sit for their jobs. Diabetics. I lift, diet and do cardio regularly. These just interest me as a "well, if I'm gonna be sitting anyways..." maintain/improve focus while being a little active type deal. Keep a "non-sedentary" mindset as much as possible.

I think they would only use like 5% of your attention, so you could do other useful mentally productive things. Whereas on an airdyne or stationary bike, too much of your attention is going to be focused on getting a good workout to think about much else.

Well if you're such a stud how can you pedal that bike while also being waited on and pampered by scores of hot babes?

Fucking pick a team man! Are you on your way out or not?

3 days ago
4/6/19

sit on an exercise ball like a fat office chick

2 days ago
1/1/01
Icy Mike - 
PeteyWheatstraw -
Icy Mike - 

Well if you're such a stud how can you pedal that bike while also being waited on and pampered by scores of hot babes?

Fucking pick a team man! Are you on your way out or not?

I am a stud. A magnificent one. Someday people will realize that.

I kind of nerd out with productivity, focus, efficiency these days. I think it's part of getting older, you try to get more out of time/activity cause you don't have as much time to fuck off with like a young person. I walk for an hour a day usually. It's relaxing and healthy, but doesn't feel like a "real" enough exercise to give up an hour. Hence, I wear a 50 pound backpack and listen to self-help audio and the time is better spent.

I watch training videos to learn new things in my field, sometimes like 3 + times so they sink in better. And some of the shit is boring and my mind drifts to bullshit and I end up here. Therefore, maybe this little pedaling contraption under my desk will engage me more and help with focus and make the time usage more effective.