OtherGround Forums Van Halen 5150.... just discovered it

3 days ago
2/2/08
Hagar is a better singer than DLR.

Ya I said it.
3 days ago
1/1/01

Check out "Led Zeppelin" They have some cool stuff.

3 days ago
2/28/12
Got tickets for Beethoven this weekend!
3 days ago
5/12/11

Rock Candy was on the first album Sammy ever recorded.  That alone trumps the entire solo career of DLR.

3 days ago
10/27/19

Great amp

3 days ago
3/3/03

I agree with OP.  

3 days ago
7/20/08

Sammy is a fucking God.

3 days ago
6/1/07
Van Hagar is not Van Halen.

They ceased being Van Halen when David Lee Roth left.

Sammy Hagar is a quality singer in his own right, and I enjoyed some of the Van Hagar catalog, but they lost their showmanship and the quirkiness that made them unique when Roth left. Part of the joy of those early Van Halen albums was the goofy patter between Roth and the band or Roth and the audience or Roth and the characters in the songs in the middle of the songs, even in studio versions. Plus, he was clearly the guy who pushed to get wacky and eclectic shit like Big Bad Bill, Ice Cream Man, Pretty Woman, Dancing in the Streets, etc. on albums because that stuff completely disappeared once he was gone. The 1984 album in particular had Roth's influence stamped all over it.
3 days ago
8/24/02

First concert I went to was the Fair Warning tour. Such a dirty grimy album. Best one they made imo

3 days ago
5/8/11

Sammy is about 75 and still touring...guy looks better than some 40 year olds i know.

3 days ago
2/13/16

5150 is the only Van Halen record I’ve ever owned.

thst said, two completely different bands.

3 days ago
12/10/09
fnunderful -

Sammy is about 75 and still touring...guy looks better than some 40 year olds i know.

This. He looks great. Wood

3 days ago
12/22/10
forumnewb - Hagar is a better singer than DLR.

Ya I said it.

3 days ago
6/1/07
addict - 

First concert I went to was the Fair Warning tour. Such a dirty grimy album. Best one they made imo

My biggest issue with Van Hagar is that all their albums sound the same. Sammy is great at what he does, but he's not very creative or curious about trying new things artistically. He sticks with what he knows and doesn't stray much from that template. Van Hagar doesn't sound all that different from Montrose or Sammy's solo stuff.

Which would be fine if Van Halen was a straight-forward, meat-and-potatoes Rock and Roll band like AC/DC. But it wasn't. They were eclectic as hell and all their albums sounded different and explored new musical territory. It's like their experimentation and creativity just stopped after Roth left and they settled into playing what record executives expected them to play. They didn't have that fly in the ointment constantly annoying them and pushing them to try something new and different on every album.
3 days ago
10/13/05
fuck, i remember my brother buying 5150 when it came out, i feel old as shit
3 days ago
1/1/01
Keep in mind that EVH wrote the bulk of, if not all of the music. Dave was Dave, and there was an undeniable chemistry that when he left, you knew it was never going to be the same.

Ed's tone went to shit after 1984...you all know it.

Sammy was/is his own guy...most of the stuff he sang on, but it lacked something.
I could listen to Space Station #5, Bad Motor Scooter, Heavy Metal, etc all day long tho.
3 days ago
11/21/12

5150 is prime Eddie. 

3 days ago
6/1/07
Eddie wrote all the music, but it was Dave pushing them to think outside the box and not just do the standard 'hard rock' songs over and over and over again. Dave was the devil on Eddie's shoulder telling him to do goofy shit like cover old Roy Orbison country tunes like Pretty Woman or western trail songs like Happy Trails or Motown tunes like Dancing in the Street or a blues tune like Ice Cream Man. Dave was the guy pushing them to go for more of a pop sound on the 1984 album. Dave was the guy who brought all the patter and swagger to their vocals.

Sammy OTOH is the epitome of an 'inside the box' hard rocker. He just wanted to sing rocking tunes, and as long as Eddie gave him a driving guitar riff and Alex beat the hell out of the drums, he was happy to settle in and enjoy the ride.
Edited: 3 days ago
1/3/16
thekev1130 -

Rock Candy was on the first album Sammy ever recorded.  That alone trumps the entire solo career of DLR.

DLR’s career was massively important to the world of music. DLR’s first 2 solo albums was the launching point of of what I would argue is the most important guitarist of our lifetime, Steve Vai. Also Broke Billy Sheehan’s career. Those 2 as a combo is still one of the most fun guitar/bass teams to exist. 

DLR also was about to be the launching point of another super hero with Jason Becker who came down w ALS during recording and was never able to tour. The guitar work on “a little Ain’t Enough” is insane. Becker was previously in Caucophony with Marty Friedman who just got picked up by Mustaine for Megaderh. Becker may of never had another recording if not for DLR. Becker is massively respected and loved in the guitar world. 

then in the late 90’s, DLR picked up another unknown guitar player named John Lowery. The DLR Band album is really fucking good. Us hardcore guitarists we’re comparing him to EVH only more versatile. Lowery got scooped up by Marylin Manson and went to John 5. His solo albums are bad ass and I have seen him live 4-5 times on solo tours. 

in importance to the overall rock world, I place DLR second behind maybe Ozzy for what and who they gave us. I didn’t even get into other musicians. 

3 days ago
5/3/01
guitarmanzan - 
thekev1130 -

DLR’s career was massively important to the world of music. DLR’s first 2 solo albums was the launching point of of what I would argue is the most important guitarist of our lifetime, Steve Vai. Also Broke Billy Sheehan’s career. Those 2 as a combo is still one of the most fun guitar/bass teams to exist. 

DLR also was about to be the launching point of another super hero with Jason Becker who came down w ALS during recording and was never able to tour. The guitar work on “a little Ain’t Enough” is insane. Becker was previously in Caucophony with Marty Friedman who just got picked up by Mustaine for Megaderh. Becker may of never had another recording if not for DLR. Becker is massively respected and loved in the guitar world. 

then in the late 90’s, DLR picked up another unknown guitar player named John Lowery. The DLR Band album is really fucking good. Us hardcore guitarists we’re comparing him to EVH only more versatile. Lowery got scooped up by Marylin Manson and went to John 5. His solo albums are bad ass and I have seen him live 4-5 times on solo tours. 

in importance to the overall rock world, I place DLR second behind maybe Ozzy for what and who they gave us. I didn’t even get into musicians. 

excellent breakdown and to my more limited knowledge absolutely accurate

in general, i'm not a hagar hater, but dlr is top tier, first vote HOF material. hagar is somewhere further down the line. maybe a couple rungs.

3 days ago
10/11/18
Sammy was the better singer [and they have the awards during his tenure to prove it] while David was definitely the better entertainer.
3 days ago
12/13/02

If you like this album, check out this video Live Without a Net from the 5150 tour. I had this on VHS in the 80’s. 

3 days ago
4/26/03

I'm a huge Halen fan. I like bothe versions. 

Back in 2002 or 03 I think, I won tickets to DLR and Hagar touring together. They reportedly hated each other. On this particular night Hagar was closing. 

The tickets included passes to sit in the 'Cabo Wabo Cantina' o. Stage during the show. It was billed as sitting in this cantina on stage and do shots of tequila with Sammy. 

I could NOT find one fuckin person to go with me. Out of spite I went solo. I tried to scalp the tix. Nope. So I went inside. There was a chick near me. I asked if she was alone. Yes. I told her I had backstage passes. Would you like to join. Yes. 

DLR takes the stage first. Huge 20' screen behind the band. All David all the time. Him rock climbing. Him doing sword stuff, martial arts. It took him more than 4 songs to warm up his voice. It was bad. Then he kept getting on the bass drum and teased the crowd with his famous jumping split. Then wouldn't do it. Then he pulls out a bottle of JD. finds a hot chick. Opens the JD, takes a swig, then acts like he's doing the pelvic thrust on her with the whiskey. He ultimately just pours it all over her. It was stupid. 

Now they are of course playing Van Halen songs. Time for guitar solo. Guitarist is up there shredding. It appears DLR doesn't like him getting the attention so just jumps in front of him taking the spotlight. 

Something goes wrong with the sound. DLR throws a fit. (I get that). He ends it on the bass drum. Teasing again. Crowd screams. I can hear one dude yell "just fuckin do it already!" He does. Not impressive. 

By now we've been called backstage to the CANTINA. It was two sets of rickety bleachers on either side of the drum kit. They usher us in. The meathead roadie people are like "Stand up there. Pack in. Don't touch the railings. Don't fuckin touch Sammy!"

The show starts. Sammy comes out. Just fuckin kills it. Voice was spot on. Unlike DLR, Sammy had a really good solo career so he played a lot of his own stuff with VH plugged in. 

Sammy WOULD come into the bleachers and do a shot with randos. Had a female bassist or guitarist (can't remember) really good. 

It ended with Sammy calling everyone from the cantina down on stage to sing the closing song with him, Love Comes Walking In. I got down there first and put my arm over Sammys shoulder as he finished the concert. 

Edited: 3 days ago
6/1/07
^ I don't think you'll find too many people to argue that Sammy is a far more professional and generally likeable as a person than Dave. Dave is the epitome of a flaky, unreliable, high-maintenance, attention-whore artist, while Sammy is more of an easy-going, reliable, regular dude who just happens to sing and has a great set of pipes. Sammy is the anti-Dave in terms of personality, which is exactly what Eddie and the boys wanted after parting ways with DLR.

But that doesn't change the fact that the band was far more interesting and creative with Dave.
3 days ago
4/26/03
Steve4192 - ^ I don't think you'll find too many people to argue that Sammy is a far more professional and generally likeable as a person than Dave. Dave is the epitome of a flaky, unreliable, high-maintenance, attention-whore artist, while Sammy is more of an easy-going, reliable, regular dude who just happens to sing and has a great set of pipes. Sammy is the anti-Dave in terms of personality, which is exactly what Eddie and the boys wanted after parting ways with DLR.

But that doesn't change the fact that the band was far more interesting and creative with Dave.

I think they were two different time lines. When they started they were young and full of craziness creating their own thing. The music represents that and there was probably no better front man for that time in their musical path than DLR. 

Then they matured musically I think. Sammy already had a great career on his own. Together I think they created awesome music. They were more of a band in my opinion rather than musicians and lead singer. 

I don't think one version was any better than the other. Just different. Like I said, I love both but tend to lean toward Van Hagar. 

I remember being in 8th grade social studies when I heard Van Halen broke up. Maybe 86? I was like NOOOOOOOO