OtherGround Forums Vaping deaths/injuries. What's causing them?

11 days ago
1/1/01
CaptainWoody -

I'm guessing it's something burning off the coils, maybe some heavy metals 

fucking MAIDEN!!!!

11 days ago
5/15/07
I saw some news story where a doctor said that some sort of oil can settle in your lungs giving you a type pf pneumonia.
11 days ago
7/5/12

Unre

11 days ago
7/5/12

Unregulated product in unregulated devices heating up mysterious oils inside tubes of plastic and metal heating coils made from god knows what. Inhale that into your lungs a hundred times a day you’re bound to catch some sort of contaminatanent.

It could one of those or a combination of that. Lots of variables to work out. 

10 days ago
6/13/07
Almost all of these cases involve THC based vapes and half at least were homemade. If you are buying your juice from a reputable vendor and you have done your due diligence you will not have a problem. There are 1 to 2 dozen quality producers just in Orlando, so I'm sure most cities have them.
10 days ago
12/13/04
Some are saying this will be one of the final straws to push federal legalization of weed. Mainly due to the need for FDA supervision of this sort of shit.

I vape rosin QWET extracts. I used to make my own vape juice, and never really liked the propylene glycol/vegetable glycerine mix. Just thinking about inhaling huge clouds of "propylene glycol" bothered me. That's the shit that L. Ron Hubbard said was used to kill those thetan aliens, so you know that shit's bad.
10 days ago
11/17/10

i just got into the whole vape cartridge shit in the past few months and made a thread about vape carts to get opinions....bc of that thread and this recent news im laying off vaping cartridges for now, esp since the ones we get around here all seem to be from the shady sources (smart cart, Dank)

10 days ago
12/2/02

Probably shouldn't inhale anything into your life-giving organs except oxygen. That would be a start.

10 days ago
2/6/15

I actually dealt with asthma a lot as a kid. I smoked often as a teenager . As legalization has happened I have used cartridges , which my brother really likes. I feel like they worked but I also felt like I would have a cough from it as though there was something left over. The last one I purchased (purple haze) I gave away due to that feeling. That was probably late last year or so .

10 days ago
4/6/12

I've read that a minority of the thc cases are a result of defective products; I think the medical industry was cleared recently and the issues stem from cartridges being made on the street

10 days ago
6/13/03
Sarsaparilla Slim -

Unregulated product in unregulated devices heating up mysterious oils inside tubes of plastic and metal heating coils made from god knows what. Inhale that into your lungs a hundred times a day you’re bound to catch some sort of contaminatanent.

It could one of those or a combination of that. Lots of variables to work out. 

Darwin oil

10 days ago
1/1/01
Gee, who would think that inhaling a foreign substance into your lungs would be bad?

Side note...

Evidently vaping alcoholic drinks has become a thing. My unit had a couple soldiers do it and they burnt their lungs causing permanent damage. Dudes couldn't walk more than 10 feet without getting winded. They got chaptered out for stupidity.
10 days ago
1/1/01

LOL@ Darwin oil

10 days ago
3/14/04
In Limbo - 

i just got into the whole vape cartridge shit in the past few months and made a thread about vape carts to get opinions....bc of that thread and this recent news im laying off vaping cartridges for now, esp since the ones we get around here all seem to be from the shady sources (smart cart, Dank)

Yeah, until they figure this shit out I'm sticking to edibles. They're about 4 times more expensive but it's worth it.
10 days ago
12/10/18
MoreThanUFC - Almost all of these cases involve THC based vapes and half at least were homemade. If you are buying your juice from a reputable vendor and you have done your due diligence you will not have a problem. There are 1 to 2 dozen quality producers just in Orlando, so I'm sure most cities have them.

How does one know the difference between a quality producer and someone else? If you don't buy them straight from the source how could you possibly know who they came from/how they were produced?

10 days ago
6/4/06
You mean sucking chemicals , oils, poisons (nicotine), and who knows what else from suspect companies could cause health problems? No way.
10 days ago
4/18/01
DaddyO4 - You mean sucking chemicals , oils, poisons (nicotine), and who knows what else from suspect companies could cause health problems? No way.

Yeah!

*sips sketchy Chinese pre-workout drink*
10 days ago
12/5/10
Burt Reynoldz - I saw some news story where a doctor said that some sort of oil can settle in your lungs giving you a type pf pneumonia.

Yes, Lipid pneumonia.

Basically inhaling oils fucks up your lungs.

this works with both the China/back alley idea and the vitamin E idea.

Vaping may be better than combustion but not when your vaping oils and who knows what else.

10 days ago
9/10/07

From now on, I am only going to heat up the finest of oils from the most reputable lung oil purveyors before repeatedly inhaling...just to be safe.

9 days ago
8/14/19

Bump

9 days ago
5/22/02
amadeus - Gee, who would think that inhaling a foreign substance into your lungs would be bad?

Side note...

Evidently vaping alcoholic drinks has become a thing. My unit had a couple soldiers do it and they burnt their lungs causing permanent damage. Dudes couldn't walk more than 10 feet without getting winded. They got chaptered out for stupidity.

That's just for hot vaping, you can pressure vape booze with no worries.
Edited: 9 days ago
7/14/10
Richard Tuck -
Burt Reynoldz - I saw some news story where a doctor said that some sort of oil can settle in your lungs giving you a type pf pneumonia.

Yes, Lipid pneumonia.

Basically inhaling oils fucks up your lungs.

this works with both the China/back alley idea and the vitamin E idea.

Vaping may be better than combustion but not when your vaping oils and who knows what else.

Yep

People cutting THC carts with different shit oils, black market THC carts. Think of how people cut cocaine with different shit to increase profit. This has zero to do with nicotine e-cigs.

You NEVER want to use any OIL BASED LIQUID in e-cigs

There is reason the media pushed it as vaping/ecigs. That there have been very few corrections to those articles, etc. FDA has zero ability to regulate the THC market or black market for that but they can and have been trying to get ecigs off the market for years.

So people see headlines of "vaping kills" and immediately think of guys using pod systems or open end ecig systems, the "cloud chuckers" ( even though that died off thankfully ). Most have no idea that vaping is an umbrella term and has a big market for cannabis.

Now you have the FDA, directly in the presidents ear. He doesn't know jack about ecigs. So he relies on the FDA, he wouldn't think they would do nefarious shit like this but this is what happened.

So in short, they banned flavor ecigs, which had zero to do with the recent deaths and illnesses. This is just going to create a black market for flavored liquid now. Which is going to be DANGEROUS.

The one thing about the ecig industry is they did a pretty good job already of regulating themselves, especially when it came to whats in eliquid and all of that. It literally was a mom and pop industry that wanted to help people quit cigarettes.

I been vaping for almost 5 years and china does produce a lot of vaping products. Nearly all of them actually. But one thing anyone really into the industry did was advise people NEVER to buy eliquid from china. I didn't realize until recently they were doing oils and shit for the weed vapers.

Anyone thats been following vaping knows this was coming sooner or later. More sooner then later though. FDA been trying to push for PMTA ( pre market tobacco applications ) but it kept getting extended in courts and what not because of push back.

PMTAs will kill the industry. Why? Most the mom and pop shops won't be able to afford the fees. Talking like hundreds of thousand of dollars for a PMTA. So say you make eliquid. You have 5 flavors. That is 5 PMTAs. Say you have them at 3 different nicotine levels. That is 15 PMTAs.

Who can afford that? The ecig companies that were recently bought into by tobacco companies. Juul for example. Altria has 30% status with them. The plan was basically to wipe out the mom and pop shops. Have the tobacco company owned ecig/eliquid companies left standing. Most people who been vaping the past few years DESPISED tobacco getting involved in the industry.

9 days ago
5/23/07
Vaping is gayer than Aids, of course people are dying
9 days ago
3/21/12

Stop breathing weird shit in your lungs people

9 days ago
7/14/10
In Limbo -

I think dank was one of the ones that were causing issues.

The fucked up part is the packaging for these things were available on like ebay and fucking amazon. So any bathtub mixer would just make their shit, cut it fucked up and slap the legit packaging on it and you wouldnt know the difference.