OtherGround Forums Vaping deaths/injuries. What's causing them?

Edited: 9/11/19 11:47 PM
9/8/02
Any act of putting fucking smoke into you mouth then into your lungs, only to blow it out all over the place isn't healthy, I don't care what anyone says. Throwing massive amounts of nasty smoke through your body's filtering system (lungs) is no different than forcing massive amounts of alcohol through your body's other filtering system (liver).

I have no doubt that CBD, Weed, etc have some benefits (never tried it, not my thing). However, the whole idea of sucking smoke into your body seems ridiculous. I think if you want to get high, just eat a weed brownie. Keep the fucking stench down and save your lungs some abuse. 

Are we really shocked hours of this a day isn't good for your body?

9/12/19 3:45 AM
1/25/07

They are using a rare THC related lung disease to push a movement to ban flavors imo. I'm not even joking, it's manufactured consent. 

All of these non specific articles came out in the MSM a few weeks ago. Now there is a political push to ban flavors, which anti smoking orgs always have lobbied for. If the concern was real they would they would target online retailers which is where kids get these things.

In reality vaping isn't good, but it looks like its considerably better than smoking. That perception is fueling a huge rise in teen vapers, so the flavor's are a "real" concern and to get that passed they need to make people scared imo

9/12/19 4:06 AM
12/17/06

OP you just started with the trees like a year ago. Stop with the fad bullshit and twist some up.

9/12/19 10:10 AM
9/10/07

Where is the evidence that it is black market THC cartridges that are the source of the problem?

9/12/19 10:14 AM
3/14/04
dabigchet - 

Where is the evidence that it is black market THC cartridges that are the source of the problem?

I haven't seen it yet. I keep hearing differing reports. Thc with added vitamin E, flavored vapes, the heat from the vapor, basically they're all over the place but no one knows shit.
9/12/19 12:08 PM
8/18/13

Vapers look like such cunts. Either fucking smoke or quit, what kind of pathetic willpower do you have to have to puff on a stupid little stick with some strawberry flavoured crap in it 

9/12/19 2:32 PM
5/30/03
angryinch -
dabigchet - 

I haven't seen it yet. I keep hearing differing reports. Thc with added vitamin E, flavored vapes, the heat from the vapor, basically they're all over the place but no one knows shit.

I wouldn't be surprised and I bet they're coming from China. The same place where fentanyl is laced through everything. 

9/12/19 2:39 PM
12/10/18
dabigchet -

Google it dude. 

9/12/19 2:52 PM
7/4/11

Mixture of things. The heating elements quite literally combust gaseous forms of heavy metals and other toxic substances like carbonyls (includes formaldehyde) all well above OSHA (Occuptational safety and health administration) safety standards. 

Additional to this, there have been large bodies of evidence with regards to epidemiological studies, and quite recently cases of atypical pneumonia recurrant in vapers. They also now have a mechnism for this oddity, finding that although vaping did not increase inflammation or emphysyma in mice, it caused a huge downregulation of key immune factors , overtly damaged immune cells from significant lipid dysfuction (fucked up their macrophages), and increased susceptibility to influenze. 

Shit is still probably better than cigarettes, but it's a whole other beast and fucked up on its own accord. If you look up the most recent lipid laden macrophage study in the Journal of Clinical Investigation, you'll see a summary of most of the problems from its intro. 

9/12/19 2:54 PM
7/4/11

Free article, although the results would obviously be dense for laymen. 

https://www.jci.org/articles/view/128531

The electronic nicotine delivery system (ENDS), or e-cigarette, entered the US market in the mid-2000s and rapidly gained popularity among tobacco smokers and never-smokers (1). Currently, an estimated 10 million US adults and over 3 million high school age adolescents are active ENDS users (2, 3). Notably, ENDS have become the most commonly consumed tobacco substitute in the adolescent population, fueling concerns over the health-related consequences of ENDS exposure (4). A large contributor to the public appeal of ENDS among both adults and adolescents is the effective delivery of nicotine in the form of a vapor composed of the vehicle solvents propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG), thereby circumventing the need for tobacco combustion. The popularity of ENDS has been further augmented by the additional flavorings that can be added to ENDS solutions. Over 7,000 flavors are available to accompany ENDS devices currently, which add essences of fruit or candy to enhance the experience of “vaping” (5).

ENDS-related studies often examine their addictive properties and the enticing advertising campaigns used by e-cigarette companies, which target impressionable youth (6). Specifically, studies have found that early ENDS use in teenagers may increase the risk for tobacco smoking later in life as they exhibit increased intention to smoke traditional cigarettes compared with those who have never used ENDS (7, 8). Moreover, toxicological studies have highlighted the potential health concerns of ENDS by revealing detectable levels of both heavy metals and carbonyls, such as formaldehyde and acrolein, in the vapor produced by some of the devices (9–11). Further, terms such as “popcorn lung” have become synonymous with ENDS among their opponents for the deleterious diacetyls detected in ENDS-associated flavorings (12). In contrast, other reports have advocated the safety of the products over traditional tobacco cigarettes (13, 14), thus emphasizing the unmet need to better understand the health-related consequences of exposure to e-cigarette components.

Multiple case reports have described atypical types of pneumonia in ENDS users (15, 16). A shared feature in these reports is the presence of lipid-laden macrophages found in the bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid from individuals with ENDS-associated pneumonia (15, 16). Despite this commonality, the physiological importance of lipid accumulation and whether this phenomenon can be recapitulated in experimental systems remain unknown. Lipid metabolism is critical for proper cellular function in all tissues. Pulmonary surfactant and lipid homeostasis in the distal airways are essential for adequate gas exchange and innate immune function (17). Pulmonary surfactant, a complex mixture of lipids and proteins produced exclusively by alveolar type II pneumocytes (ATIIs), forms a critical part of the alveolar-lining fluid (18). Surfactant reduces alveolar surface tension, thereby preventing lung atelectasis, ventilation perfusion mismatch, and hypoxemia (19). Surfactant protein A (SP-A) and surfactant protein D (SP-D), 2 components of the surfactant complex, play essential roles in innate immune defense by facilitating microbial opsonization and clearance (20). To maintain the integrity of the surfactant complex, alveolar macrophages catabolize altered or oxidized surfactant in the distal liquid-air interface, which is critical for responses to inhaled pathogens (21). Impairment of macrophage metabolism of pulmonary surfactant leads to accumulation of intracellular lipid and deposition of excess lipid in the alveolar space (22).

Notwithstanding the immunomodulatory roles of nicotine and its implications in cell proliferation and tumorigenesis (23, 24), little is known about how the constituents used in ENDS, namely PG and VG, affect the respiratory tract and its local immune functions. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recognizes these compounds as generally safe for use as direct food additives (25); however, whether and how these ENDS components exert significant effects on lung lipid homeostasis and innate immunity during long-term exposure remain unclear.

In this report, we used a murine model of chronic inhalation exposure to assess the effect of conventional tobacco smoke and components of ENDS on lung cellular function. Our model enabled a direct comparison between ENDS vapor and conventional smoke to examine their respective contributions to inflammation and lung cellular function. We show that the effect of chronic exposure to ENDS vapor is distinct from tobacco smoke, uniquely altering critical lipid-associated metabolic and immunological processes in the distal airway. Thus, our study findings sound an alarm for the potential harm of ENDS-associated products and could help provide new guidelines regarding their safety.

9/12/19 2:59 PM
1/1/01
Just read a big story about this. There is a girl in an induced coma near me because of this. It is happening a lot.

The Glycerin in the product is what leads to fat cells and liquid in your lungs.

Shit is bad. Buy some fucking Marlboros if you must...at least they take years longer to kill you. Either way you're fucked may as well prolong it.
9/12/19 3:02 PM
1/1/01
Just read the frat above my last post. A very long wordy way of saying the same damn thing.

The glycerin makes fat cells grow in your lungs.

Simplified yes...Correct? Also yes.
9/12/19 3:04 PM
9/10/07
LieDetector - 
dabigchet -

Google it dude. 

most of the stories make a point to say that it wasn't clear what was being used
9/12/19 3:12 PM
6/11/10

I’m willing to bet it’s the black market vapes with the culprit being the additives being used to cut the product so they can stretch the amount they can sell. 

Like other drugs that have been stepped on so the dealers can extend their profit margins.

Its a shitty thing to do. Weed/THC vape cartridges have been around for like 3-5 years now, but the saturation of the market and the high demand is now allowing for these black market shit heads to do stuff like this.

9/12/19 3:20 PM
12/1/05
Dryfly - Just read the frat above my last post. A very long wordy way of saying the same damn thing.

Hey, Dryfly! side note...when tf is your Elk hunt you made a thread about a while back?

I tried looking for the thread but couldn't find it, it's about that time isn't it?

9/12/19 3:22 PM
5/27/08
ABCTT Dos - This is why I went back to cigarettes.

Been vaping for 5 years, never had an issue. My friend however , gave him breathing problems. We vaped the same brands, so I think he might of been allergic.

9/12/19 3:23 PM
5/27/08
Dryfly - Just read a big story about this. There is a girl in an induced coma near me because of this. It is happening a lot.

The Glycerin in the product is what leads to fat cells and liquid in your lungs.

Shit is bad. Buy some fucking Marlboros if you must...at least they take years longer to kill you. Either way you're fucked may as well prolong it.

Ant proof of this ?

9/12/19 3:24 PM
4/1/11

Sounds like the supplement industry.Any dickhead can throw anything in a bottle and call it creatine or protein powder. And the government still wont do there job. If meat or vegetables r tainted they find the source instead hollering to ban them. Im saying just like in the supplement industry some peoples went the Chinese route and imported the PG or another chemical.

9/12/19 3:51 PM
7/31/09
kungfugrip -

Vaping is perfectly healthy and it’s bullshit that these people are spreading lies about the safest product a person can do

I dont think you know what hlthe word healthy means.

9/12/19 4:18 PM
1/1/01
It seems like the problem is a lipid based pneumonia, if you will. Why is this seemingly more prevalent, right now? My guess is one of two factors (This is just my thought, without no basis in fact):

1) The rate of deaths is the same, but it's getting more media coverage.

2) As big money is getting into vaping, perhaps they're exploring different cost-cutting measures, and they retooled the formulation of the "vape juice" (pardon any mistakes in terminology, I don't know much about vaping), which is causing the stuff to collect inside the lungs more than before.
9/12/19 4:26 PM
1/1/01
dabigchet - 
LieDetector - 
dabigchet -

Google it dude. 

most of the stories make a point to say that it wasn't clear what was being used

Well in Wisconsin, in 27 of the 32 cases, people were vaping THC carts

9/12/19 6:09 PM
11/5/03
LegionariusIV -
ABCTT Dos - This is why I went back to cigarettes.

Been vaping for 5 years, never had an issue. My friend however , gave him breathing problems. We vaped the same brands, so I think he might of been allergic.

Ive been using ecigs or vape for almost 9 years. The last 4 or 5 have been vape with liquid from one specific store / supplier in town.

Lungs are and have always been strong enough to go super hard in any cardio I want. I've been climbing / cycling / bjj etc all along. 

Can't say the same about when I was smoking for 2 years right before switching. I was retching and wheezing all day.

Seems obvious the issue is sub par / black market ingredients or I'd have died long ago. I've been using these products longer than almost anyone. 

9/12/19 6:45 PM
12/13/15

I only do plug n play, raw gardens, and stiiizys. 

Sometimes west coast cure. Are all those safe brands?

9/12/19 6:56 PM
1/1/01
Dirtywhiteboy - 
Dryfly - Just read the frat above my last post. A very long wordy way of saying the same damn thing.

Hey, Dryfly! side note...when tf is your Elk hunt you made a thread about a while back?

I tried looking for the thread but couldn't find it, it's about that time isn't it?

Tomorrow would have been the last day.

I am still in no shape to be chasing elk in this country.

Neck just now getting better enough from surgery, and I couldn't mess with dressing a 600-800lb. elk without fucking myself up, with near certainty.

So... I turned the tag back in the day before the hunt started. You lose the cost of the tag (like $350ish) but you get your points back. You can do this with a valid reason (surgery worked) as long as it is before the hunt start date.

I have regretted the hell out of doing it up till now. Always thought I could at least go the last few days, which is likely all I need. Now we are down to the last day and I am still a couple weeks (hopefully) away from being up for that.

Glad I did it now. I will probably start next week chasing mule deer in the extended archery area. I still have 6-7 weeks to do this one, and it is not nearly as strenuous as chasing elk here.

Maybe next year I will draw it again, probably not though...
9/12/19 7:20 PM
1/1/01
LegionariusIV - 
Dryfly - Just read a big story about this. There is a girl in an induced coma near me because of this. It is happening a lot.

Ant proof of this ?

Nope. It was from an article in the local paper.

The girl that is in a coma in Utah from this, can easily be found on the national news site of your choice.

The girl in the induced coma is from Payson Utah. She was transferred to a larger Hospital in Orem. That should give you enough info to locate it.

Find that article and it links other ongoing similar cases.