OtherGround Forums Viral video: boy being bullied in Australia

2/20/20 5:49 PM
7/18/11

WARNING: very heartbreaking 

Edited: 2/20/20 6:03 PM
7/18/11

^^^ he’s not being bullied in the video btw, this is in the car with him mom. 

But here’s the good news...a gofundme to send him to Disneyland is skyrocketing 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/lets-send-a-wonderful-kid-to-disneyland

2/20/20 6:08 PM
6/3/03
SickEye -

Should be a GoFundMe to send him to BJJ; a trip will cheer him up but won’t solve the root cause. 

2/20/20 6:09 PM
10/3/16
SickEye -

That is good news

2/20/20 6:26 PM
4/24/07
Nitecrawler - 
SickEye -

Should be a GoFundMe to send him to BJJ; a trip will cheer him up but won’t solve the root cause. 

How would you go about fixing the root cause that kids are amoral. They just don't grasp the concept of morality and nice vs mean at that age. Just like the mother says they say the mean things but these kids don't see the impact of their words. Their only concept of it being wrong is being punished for it. Which doesn't really help all that much.

Speaking from experience I remember quite clearly calling one of my best friends at school the N word. Had absolutely no clue what it meant or the context of it till years later. Sure it was explained to me it was an awful thing to say but contextually what does that even mean to a child? Would a kid undertsand that calling someone "stupid" is not the same thing or would they file it under the same "bad word" category. We as adults know that one is obviously worse than the other.

While I'm not saying we shouldn't try it's just I don't agree that education will actually accomplish anything. At the end of the day the kids are going to walk away with the same understanding or lack there of  as before

2/20/20 6:29 PM
12/4/08

I saw this and reposted on my IG. Enraged and sad at the same time. The world is a cruel fucking place.

2/20/20 6:30 PM
7/18/11
Nitecrawler -
SickEye -

True. From how this GFM is going, they’ll be able to send him to BJJ, a private school, and Harvard! It’s gone up $10,000 just since I posted this thread. 

2/20/20 6:30 PM
11/20/09

It makes little to nose sense to me why #1, the mother would record this, and #2, why introduce the idea of suicide?

Horrible all around.

2/20/20 6:31 PM
11/20/09
Nitecrawler - 
SickEye -

Are you suggesting there are mma schools that can teach a dwarf practical self defense against people 3-4 times bigger than he is?

2/20/20 6:32 PM
11/9/13

I cant help but take issue with the mom.  Hug him, why share his worst moment with the world, i mean i get it but i also dont but she seems so cold.  I also barely made it through 10 seconds and i think the whole video is like 5 minutes.  way too long.

2/20/20 6:35 PM
12/4/08
D241 -

It makes little to nose sense to me why #1, the mother would record this, and #2, why introduce the idea of suicide?

Horrible all around.

I knew an idiot like you would show up. I cant stand people who think like you. It makes me ill. Why dont you try and take a step back and think about what the mother has gone through for NINE years with this kid before you open your mouth. She is at her wits end. This is a desperate cry for help. She isnt doing it for clicks or likes. Can you imagine what its like to hear your 9 year old disabled son say he wants to kill himself? You should be ashamed.

2/20/20 6:37 PM
11/9/13
The Leg Collector -
D241 -

Horrible all around.

I knew an idiot like you would show up. I cant stand people who think like you. It makes me ill. Why dont you try and take a step back and think about what the mother has gone through for NINE years with this kid before you open your mouth. She is at her wits end. This is a desperate cry for help. She isnt doing it for clicks or likes. Can you imagine what its like to hear your 9 year old disabled son say he wants to kill himself? You should be ashamed.

Nothing he said is wrong, relax.  She is doing him no favors in this video. 

2/20/20 6:41 PM
12/4/08
Gordon_Gekko -
The Leg Collector -
D241 -

Horrible all around.

Nothing he said is wrong, relax.  She is doing him no favors in this video. 

Doing him no favors? The kid is legitimately suicidal. You think it can worse than it already is?

2/20/20 6:41 PM
5/14/10
Sad. I hope someone like Steve Buscemi or Clint Howard sees this video and gives the kid some words of encouragement.
2/20/20 6:54 PM
5/8/10

Just saw this, was gonna make a thread. It’s sad the effect bullying has, while young kids don’t always know the serious effect it has on others. It’s cool all the support he is getting, seems to have made him feel better.

2/20/20 6:55 PM
12/19/10
Freaky_Hibiki - Sad. I hope someone like Steve Buscemi or Clint Howard sees this video and gives the kid some words of encouragement.

Brad Williams is on board

2/20/20 6:55 PM
5/8/10
Freaky_Hibiki - Sad. I hope someone like Steve Buscemi or Clint Howard sees this video and gives the kid some words of encouragement.

Haha just got this, they haven’t responded (yet) but Hugh Jackman made a response video which is pretty cool.

2/20/20 6:56 PM
10/3/16
David@accu -
Nitecrawler - 
SickEye -

How would you go about fixing the root cause that kids are amoral. They just don't grasp the concept of morality and nice vs mean at that age. Just like the mother says they say the mean things but these kids don't see the impact of their words. Their only concept of it being wrong is being punished for it. Which doesn't really help all that much.

Speaking from experience I remember quite clearly calling one of my best friends at school the N word. Had absolutely no clue what it meant or the context of it till years later. Sure it was explained to me it was an awful thing to say but contextually what does that even mean to a child? Would a kid undertsand that calling someone "stupid" is not the same thing or would they file it under the same "bad word" category. We as adults know that one is obviously worse than the other.

While I'm not saying we shouldn't try it's just I don't agree that education will actually accomplish anything. At the end of the day the kids are going to walk away with the same understanding or lack there of  as before

Bro kids are not amoral. Kids don't all do this sort of bullying shit. 

2/20/20 6:57 PM
11/3/12

My kids crying and wants to kill himself oh let's record and post it on social media fuck I loathe social media! 

Also fuck those bullies the poor little guy shouldnt never have to feel like that

2/20/20 7:02 PM
10/31/13
Gordon_Gekko -

I cant help but take issue with the mom.  Hug him, why share his worst moment with the world, i mean i get it but i also dont but she seems so cold.  I also barely made it through 10 seconds and i think the whole video is like 5 minutes.  way too long.

His mother probably anticipated the bullying long before his first day of school.  She lives with her son's emotional pain every day. I think she feels hopeless and couldn't think of another way to try to make people understand how it affects kids.  It sounds to me like she is speaking to parents and educators; telling them that the current policies for dealing with bullying aren't working.

2/20/20 7:05 PM
1/27/12
D241 -
Nitecrawler - 
SickEye -

Are you suggesting there are mma schools that can teach a dwarf practical self defense against people 3-4 times bigger than he is?

1) yes

2) it is about builing confidence

11/19/19

This is bullshit. The first comment is "this kid goes to my kid's school". Where did that little dude learn all that stuff? How fucked up are the parents?

Fuck that noise, if this shit goes on at my kid's school, i'm gonna be there bullying every little 9 year old fuck in the place. I'd roll through the halls ...."i wish a mutha fucka would"

1/27/12

he should just...

GROW UP!

2/20/20 7:07 PM
11/28/08
David@accu -
Nitecrawler - 
SickEye -

So this made me want to look it up. Apparently, kids begin to develop rudimentary moral thinking at 7 (stage 3) when they start to see behavior as good or bad based on how people they care about will react to it. Then at around 10 (stage 4) they start to think in terms of morality coming from societal rules that everyone is supposed to follow. That sounds about right to me. The kid is 9, so in the former group.

It seems like it should be possible to for kids at stage three to be taught not to bully, but the problem is their peers rewarding them for bad behavior by, for example, laughing along at the one being bullied. No clue how to deal with that, that is some primal establishing pecking order stuff.

2/20/20 7:11 PM
10/31/13
MarcusAurelioFan -
David@accu -
Nitecrawler - 
SickEye -

Bro kids are not amoral. Kids don't all do this sort of bullying shit. 

I don't know about some kids being amoral but, some kids definitely lack empathy.  Do kids learn to naturally empathize by observing others or, is it something that must be taught? I suspect that some parents teach their kids to be mean and selfish without even realizing it.