OtherGround Forums Wall-E too controversial for modern audiences?

8 days ago
11/11/11

I know I am just a bear but I cant help but think this movie would piss off the mainstream media today along with certain demographic groups. Meanwhile the whole point of the movie would get lost in the shuffle.This movie is so atypical for a Disney and pixar project. Silence for maybe the first twenty minutes, all human beings are fat and useless, no princesses, no epic shodown with some shoestringed bad guy, no heavy opportunities for selling merchandise or selling songs to kids, and references to ancient movies that modern movies don't remember or care for. Admittedly I've missed quite a few of the last few pixar movies but i cant help but think this is their best work. Its subversive in the best way possible, gives a commentary on consumer society, a focus on the environment and humans getting their shit together, depiction of a strong female, and perhaps the healthiest romantic relationship ever depicted in a disney movie. Superb movie. Adults need to watch this and put this movie near the top of the list of movies they show their cubs.

8 days ago
2/11/03
Up is also amazing.
8 days ago
12/29/09
Will watch in a few, but modern audiences are ruining everything. Life is not all rainbows and sunshine. IT's ok to have fiction that shines light on that. If you're too sensitive to watch it, then don't.
8 days ago
12/30/10

That movie is so depressing,  but on par for what we're potentially headed for.

8 days ago
11/11/11

Legit shocked even pixar had the balls to do this movie.

8 days ago
8/24/12

Loved the movie, BearStairs. Everything you said...

Human-Bear Hi-Fiveb!

8 days ago
2/5/06

My favorite Disney movie. Excellent. Yes, it definitely seems out of the norm for Disney. 

8 days ago
5/14/13

Good movie. Makes you think when a robot is the most human character.

8 days ago
11/11/11
The Pendulum -

This on so many levels. The fact the dialogue is so sparse and the movie isnt as "loud" as other Disney/pixar movies really forces you to internalize the experience. 

Recently watched moana with my cub for the first. Not the worst offender out there but I couldnt help but think it's essentially a Michael Bay movie in animated form. Tack on inspirational messages with products you can sell in massive quantities.

8 days ago
11/16/08
The Pendulum -

8 days ago
8/20/03

8 days ago
1/1/01

Plus, scifi. Something kids nowadays ruin.

8 days ago
4/21/09

Wall E is one if my favorite movies of all time. Will watch anytime I have the chance.

8 days ago
7/15/00

Very good movie. I'm not sure about which part is controversial. Their recent movies were about Mexican death in coco and mental issues in inside out. Pixar does a lot of good movies.

8 days ago
11/11/11
Vasechkin -

Very good movie. I'm not sure about which part is controversial. Their recent movies were about Mexican death in coco and mental issues in inside out. Pixar does a lot of good movies.

The most immediate controversial aspect that comes to mind would be the depictionn of everyone as fat, lazy, and useless. In the current climate i feel like this movie would get hammered with a quickness and be labeled as fat shaming. Literally every single human in the movie is obese

8 days ago
10/3/16

I think the biggest controversy would be showing the planet as a big dump. Somebody would bitch that it was about climate change.

8 days ago
10/27/03

The first 20 minutes of Wall-E is the most expensive arthouse movie ever made.
No humans, no dialogue, no real context or story ... just watching a little robot silently going about his business.

Got odd when they were simultaneously showing fat cartoon humans and then real actor footage on screen as well.
The should have gone all in and had no humans seen at all for the whole movie, just referenced what they were doing.
8 days ago
4/20/20
TheBearStare -
Vasechkin -

The most immediate controversial aspect that comes to mind would be the depictionn of everyone as fat, lazy, and useless. In the current climate i feel like this movie would get hammered with a quickness and be labeled as fat shaming. Literally every single human in the movie is obese

And not ashamed.

The incredible's is also a bit subversive and probably would  draw some ire these days .

It's not even subtle about it. The villain's plan is to make everyone special...so that no one is.

8 days ago
11/11/11
FingerorMoon -
The first 20 minutes of Wall-E is the most expensive arthouse movie ever made.
No humans, no dialogue, no real context or story ... just watching a little robot silently going about his business.

Got odd when they were simultaneously showing fat cartoon humans and then real actor footage on screen as well.
The should have gone all in and had no humans seen at all for the whole movie, just referenced what they were doing.

Yeah the opening alone feels like something that would never be allowed by Disney. I know its a pixar movie but I feel like this movie somehow managed to slip under the radar of the higher ups. Disney wants its mindless consumers 100%. Its business and movies thrive off of it.

this movie feels almost anti-disney with its themes. Maybe it was made when pixar and Disney were having their scuffle years back.

8 days ago
7/22/09

My favorite animated film. Have watched with my son at least 50 times.

8 days ago
3/21/12
Depicting everyone as fat slobs was so truthful and I'm surprised they did it
8 days ago
7/15/04
Bam57Bam -

Wall E is one if my favorite movies of all time. Will watch anytime I have the chance.

It is amazing. The only animated blu ray I ever bought besides the Lion King and Transformers.

8 days ago
7/24/14

Haha wall-e

I saw this at the dollar theatre at age 20. I was just getting into smoking weed, so it would get me baked. That scene when all the fatties are falling out of their chairs...

I could not stop laughing!!!

Like hysterically laughing. Crying laughing.

Then I noticed no one else was laughing and my movie theater was full of severely obese people. Dollar theater fat. 

I laughed a bit more.

7 days ago
1/1/01

Haven't seen the movie since around when it came out. This thread makes me want to go back and rewatch it 

7 days ago
1/1/01

If part is great because of all the Easter eggs. Great love story!  Pretty political for Pixar to discuss pollution and laziness of man. 

it's difficult to say it's the best Pixar movie  Pixar once made nothing but great creative ideas  now it's about toy sales over anything else  

wall-e is my favorite Pixar movie and probably one of my top movies ever