OtherGround Forums "Warmonger" Mattis kept Trump from killing Assad

Edited: 13 days ago
3/3/18

Source: Trump on Fox and Friends

Among his complaints was that Mattis opposed and worked against his desire to out and out murder Syria's Bashar Assad.

Trump said: "I would have rather taken him out. I had him all set. Mattis didn’t want to do it... Mattis was a highly overrated general, and I I let him go"

13 days ago
9/19/13

Moscow Mattis keeping Putin’s buddy afloat

13 days ago
6/7/12
oranos -

Moscow Mattis keeping Putin’s buddy afloat

Probably trying to avoid another regime change war that leads to Americans dying for no reason?  

13 days ago
6/13/03

At least he wasnt dick tucking behind a red line in the middle of a war he started.

13 days ago
3/1/10

So....did Assad gas his own people or not?

13 days ago
3/13/17

Funny because Trump denied this when it came out in Woodward’s book. I guess we can assume the rest is true also?

US President Donald Trump has denied assertions by prominent journalist Bob Woodward in his new book that he ordered the assassination of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Mr Trump said the idea was "never even discussed" with defence officials.

Defence Secretary James Mattis has also denied words attributed to him in Woodward's book.

The book Fear: Trump in the White House depicts a chaotic administration in a "nervous breakdown of executive power". 

Mr Trump has already condemned the new work as a "con on the public".

In the book, senior aides are quoted as saying they hid sensitive documents to prevent Mr Trump signing them and as calling him an "idiot" and a "liar".

13 days ago
11/10/18

All modern generals are just politicians representing the military contractors since they profit from them. I’m really not sure how everyone doesn’t realize this at this point. 

13 days ago
1/1/01

Going after Mattis is probably the best way for Trump to lose the support of the rank and file military.

13 days ago
12/10/09
VTCO -

So....did Assad gas his own people or not?

Pretty confident that’s a no

13 days ago
2/4/09

Wow, just another example that he can be reasoned with

2/4/09
Pedro Navaja -

Funny because Trump denied this when it came out in Woodward’s book. I guess we can assume the rest is true also?

US President Donald Trump has denied assertions by prominent journalist Bob Woodward in his new book that he ordered the assassination of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Mr Trump said the idea was "never even discussed" with defence officials.

Defence Secretary James Mattis has also denied words attributed to him in Woodward's book.

The book Fear: Trump in the White House depicts a chaotic administration in a "nervous breakdown of executive power". 

Mr Trump has already condemned the new work as a "con on the public".

In the book, senior aides are quoted as saying they hid sensitive documents to prevent Mr Trump signing them and as calling him an "idiot" and a "liar".

Words attributed to him? Did he call out the specific statement. 

But the flip on trump and the denial do make it hard to know what to believe in this case.

Anyone care to post actual quotes? Probably be easier to assess than listening to others describe it. I know I sure as hell didnt read that book

13 days ago
3/3/18
Eskimo - 

All modern generals are just politicians representing the military contractors since they profit from them. I’m really not sure how everyone doesn’t realize this at this point. 

Not sure what point you're making in relation to this thread.

13 days ago
8/12/19

Amazing..... ‘Obama bent down low before the Saudi king, he almost blew himself’

See how this works?  Nothing Burger

13 days ago
10/3/16
NoNeed4aScreenName -

Wow, just another example that he can be reasoned with

I agree with this. Story makes sense. 

13 days ago
11/10/18
Crazy Larry -
Eskimo - 

Not sure what point you're making in relation to this thread.

Interesting 

13 days ago
3/18/12

Assad is one of the last good guys over there.  I have long been confused why people don't see that.  

13 days ago
12/29/09

Stupid Larry Aids Head

13 days ago
1/1/01
The whole story makes no sense.

When Trump was running for the nomination and even after he received it, he stated publicly that we were fighting on the wrong side.

That we should be fighting with Assad and Russia against ISUS.

Not realizing of-course that ISUS was our creation.
13 days ago
5/22/05
Buffer720 - 

Assad is one of the last good guys over there.  I have long been confused why people don't see that.  

Because Israel and its cheerleaders would prefer that be taken out for one thing due tot his ties to Iran.
13 days ago
3/3/18
Buffer720 -

Probably because he's murdered hundreds of thousands of his own citizens. 

13 days ago
1/9/02

makes sense

the military industrial complex loves endless "nation-building" with no end in sight and no accountability for how well theyr doing.

1/9/02
Crazy Larry -
Buffer720 -

name a group in power in the middle east that has not done so (besides Israel)

13 days ago
1/9/02
Eskimo -

i dont get it either man

13 days ago
3/3/18
gregbrady -
Crazy Larry -
Buffer720 -

name a group in power in the middle east that has not done so (besides Israel)

No, you name the other leaders who have killed more than 300,000 of their citizens, such that Assad is "one of the last good guys over there". 

13 days ago
1/25/04

Trump wouldn’t have sent our troops into Syria. He’d knock off Assad and then be done with it. 

Mattis wants sustained conflicts in the Middle East.