OtherGround Forums We judge you as well bartenders...

Edited: 11/7/19 3:21 PM
6/16/10

Now fix me my Laphroaig Triple Wood with diet pepsi and blue cheese stuffed olive you pretentious cunt.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/11/im-a-bartender-these-are-the-drinks-i-secretly-judge-you-for-ordering/

11/7/19 3:41 PM
2/8/08
"We stand in front of people and do things that most people probably can't do."

What an idiot.

11/7/19 3:42 PM
2/19/06

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/11/im-a-bartender-these-are-the-drinks-i-secretly-judge-you-for-ordering/

11/7/19 3:55 PM
1/1/01

She's implying you should only drink high end spirit neat.  Do people really drink gin, vodka, rum neat?  

I thought only whiskey was ordered neat.  

11/7/19 3:56 PM
1/1/01
Trust - 

She's implying you should only drink high end spirit neat.  Do people really drink gin, vodka, rum neat?  

I drank vodka on the rocks.

Then again, I'm an alcoholic

11/7/19 3:58 PM
10/30/19
PatK - 
Trust - 

I drank vodka on the rocks.

Then again, I'm an alcoholic

cosign
11/7/19 3:59 PM
5/14/08

I was bartender for a few years. At least in my circle of coworkers, none of us gave a shit about what you ordered unless it was a lot of work during a busy time. There are drinks I like that others dont and vice versa. I feel like Zned wrote a troll article.

"So it's no surprise that folks sometimes try to impress us - or at least not disappoint us - when it's their big moment in front of us: ordering a drink."

11/7/19 4:01 PM
6/3/09
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME - "We stand in front of people and do things that most people probably can't do."

What an idiot.

11/7/19 4:02 PM
4/1/10
Trust - 

With the gin and vodka she is talking about dirty martinis. It makes sense. There is no reason to go with a top shelf gin and vermouth if you are putting olive juice in it.

That being said, they are paying for it, and if you don't have a menu that says no substitutions, or this is how this will be served, shut the fuck up and make the drink.

11/7/19 4:04 PM
4/1/10
Submissable - 

I was bartender for a few years. At least in my circle of coworkers, none of us gave a shit about what you ordered unless it was a lot of work during a busy time. There are drinks I like that others dont and vice versa. I feel like Zned wrote a troll article.

"So it's no surprise that folks sometimes try to impress us - or at least not disappoint us - when it's their big moment in front of us: ordering a drink."

I take that as a compliment.

Every bartender I have known, even the ones at fancy cocktail bars, have all complained about the same thing.

The asshole who orders a bunch a of mojitos when the place is packed and loud and busy.

I have never heard them be judgemental about the guy who mixes top shelf bourbon with cherry cola.

Edited: 11/7/19 4:09 PM
2/3/11

I would never care about the bartenders opinion of me for a second.

11/7/19 4:05 PM
12/15/00

What ever will I do...the chick whose income potential at her chosen profession will indirectly follow her age and then plummet once the years of living the barworker lifestyle ravage her looks is looking down on me...I’m not sure I can go on

11/7/19 4:07 PM
4/1/10

This is why i openly judge people.

It is less pretencious.

11/7/19 4:07 PM
8/23/11
Trust -

Not neat... but gin or vodka martinis should be dry (a cap of vermouth maybe)

11/7/19 4:10 PM
4/1/10
androb - 
Trust -

Not neat... but gin or vodka martinis should be dry (a cap of vermouth maybe)

That is how I enjoy my martinis.

Any sort of nice whiskey, scotch, bourbon and such.... just a splash of water. It opens it up.

11/7/19 4:14 PM
5/28/12
Zned -
Submissable - 

Every bartender I have known, even the ones at fancy cocktail bars, have all complained about the same thing.

The asshole who orders a bunch a of mojitos when the place is packed and loud and busy.

I have never heard them be judgemental about the guy who mixes top shelf bourbon with cherry cola.

How dare a customer order what they want! It is busy, better order something easy for sir bartender lest he not make $900 in tips tonight. Poor guy!

11/7/19 4:20 PM
5/14/08
kkmmnn - 
Zned -
Submissable - 

How dare a customer order what they want! It is busy, better order something easy for sir bartender lest he not make $900 in tips tonight. Poor guy!

LOL you really escalated that.

Edited: 11/7/19 4:41 PM
12/18/03
Trust - 

Do people really drink gin, vodka, rum neat?  

I do, occasionally (vodka and gin only), but I only like to do that in quiet settings where I can focus and really feel if there's anything really particular about a spirit, not at a bar.

Honestly, I am usually underwhelmed when it comes to clear spirits.

11/7/19 4:33 PM
4/18/06

That moron’s job is to sell me what I ask for. I couldn’t care less if they approve of what I order. 

11/7/19 4:35 PM
5/31/07
Reminds me of a time years back we were in a crowded bar and I ordered a Old Fashioned. The bartender, who I'm guessing was also the owner, said "Dude, look. If we were slow I would make you Old Fashioneds all night but we are fucking slammed right now. How about something simple like Jack and Coke?" I said sure.

I appreciated his curt, yet reasonably polite rejection of my order.
11/7/19 4:40 PM
7/2/09

Looks like someone isn't getting their dollar tip. 

11/7/19 4:40 PM
12/18/03
Zned - 

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one... 99.9% of the people who order mojitos have no idea that it's a complicated drink (or that it is any more complicated than an old-fashioned or a caipirinha) - they have no intention to burden the bartender - just have a drink they enjoy.

If a cocktail is a pain in the ass to make, don't have it on the menu.

11/7/19 4:50 PM
10/30/19
"caipirinha" are disgusting faggot wanna-be educated drinks for people that try to seem cultured. The worst export from Brazil IMO.
Edited: 11/7/19 4:54 PM
4/1/10
MarsMan - 
Zned - 

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one... 99.9% of the people who order mojitos have no idea that it's a complicated drink (or that it is any more complicated than an old-fashioned or a caipirinha) - they have no intention to burden the bartender - just have a drink they enjoy.

If a cocktail is a pain in the ass to make, don't have it on the menu.

I can't disagree with you.

I agree with the bartenders out of my own selfish motives. Nothing is worse than when you are in an NYC pub type bar, the line is three deep, all I want is a beer, and someone orders a bunch of cocktails tying up the bartender.

Tonight though... I will be oging to a quiet bar for a very nice old fashioned or maybe just a nice irish whiskey, with a small splash of water.

I'll have one or two of those, then bottles of wine are $25 tonight at Eataly.

11/7/19 4:54 PM
12/18/03
Homelander - "caipirinha" are disgusting faggot wanna-be educated drinks for people that try to seem cultured. The worst export from Brazil IMO.

Bullshit.

The worst export from Brazil is Samba, Bossa Nova, and similar musical crap.

Caipirinhas are as unpretentious as it gets - a very simple drink made with unexpensive ingredients.