29 days ago
8/17/14
TequilaYuen -
CharlesMartel -
TequilaYuen -
hitler drove a prius -
TequilaYuen -
crazydave -

JRE has peaked and is now on the downward slide. 

His most listened-to podcasts and biggest guests have all been in the past two years.

Elon Musk, Mike Tyson, Alex Jones, Bernie Sanders, Kevin Hart, etc.

That Elon Musk podcast actually affected Tesla's stock.

JRE isn't declining. Its popularity and influence are objectively growing.

Not trying to be mean, but is it not obvious that crazydave was referencing to the quality of the show, and not the listener numbers and size of the guests?

Well "quality of the show" is entirely subjective. But JRE's audience and relevance wouldn't be growing if the show was actively getting worse. For all the complaining in this thread, Joe must be doing something right.

Using that argument is like saying rap's popularity is growing so therefore it's not declining.  I really doubt you can say today's mumble rap is on par with the quality of of rap music in the past.

So maybe people are saying the quality of conversation is being watered down by political correctness and conformity with mass media ideas?

Again, "quality" is subjective. I'm looking at objective metrics. Also, JRE is not an entire genre of music.

A more apt analogy would be to compare the podcast to a single artist. Say Kendrick Lamar, who is reaching more listeners now and has more relevance than previously in his music career. You might have liked him better when his niche was smaller, but you can't argue he is declining.

I don't agree that Joe is being watered down or conforming with "mass media ideas." In fact, his freedom to express himself on a massive platform is unprecedented. You might not agree with what he expresses, that doesn't mean he's being politically correct.

Why look at objective metrics? Is that how you decide what podcast you listen to? 

And you absolutely can argue that Kendrick Lamar's music *quality* (that's what we're arguing here) is declining. Just because his listener count is up, doesn't mean his quality is equally increasing. I'm not going to make the argument because I don't listen to him, but correlating your objective measures to the subjective quality of the music is retarded. 

29 days ago
1/23/06
Broadway Joe - JRE is my shit! Rogan is the fucking man

I'll keep coming back hoping for peak Redban Rogan.
28 days ago
7/4/03
CRE - 
crazydave - 

Preachy pretentiousness? I try listening and eventually get an ear beating.

he just seems incapable of interviewing a guest without crow-barring in the same 5 minute monologues that are really 5-10 seconds worth of material... he's bought into the notion that he is this intellectual dark web member and we are tuning in to hear him pontificate about the same simple ideas over and over...

I miss the days when he admitted he didn't know about various subjects or understand as much as the academia and had guests on to enlighten him...
28 days ago
1/1/15
bikie -
CRE - 
crazydave - 

he just seems incapable of interviewing a guest without crow-barring in the same 5 minute monologues that are really 5-10 seconds worth of material... he's bought into the notion that he is this intellectual dark web member and we are tuning in to hear him pontificate about the same simple ideas over and over...

I miss the days when he admitted he didn't know about various subjects or understand as much as the academia and had guests on to enlighten him...

He admitted not knowing  much a couple of times with Dan Hardy last week

28 days ago
2/2/08
bikie - 
CRE - 
crazydave - 

I concur.

I love that term crow barring. Never heard of it, but it sums up Rogan's hot air rants.

He really sounds like a little kid saying "blah blah blah.
24 days ago
2/2/08
Game warden dude was great
24 days ago
3/20/12

Steve Rinella can always make a show interesting.

24 days ago
6/22/09

Shwaubs summary of shootings/gun control reminds me of most leftist chicks who react in the moment with ZERO thought put into it.  

Man Joe should have just taken him to school, but I believe Joe supports gun control and thinks 2A folks are sort of crazy.  He NEVER defends gun ownership, outside of the “devils advocate” voice where he’s sort of mocking it (it seems)

24 days ago
3/17/03
Rambo John J -

Rinella is the best

22 days ago
7/16/14

It's not really pertinent to this thread but I know there's some Theo Von fans in here. 

Amanda Knox was just on his show. Pretty crazy to me. His episode with the migratory bird scientist was hilarious too

22 days ago
1/7/09

John carmack is one of the best episodes in a while. The guy is a legend

22 days ago
2/2/08
Yomarashi - 

It's not really pertinent to this thread but I know there's some Theo Von fans in here. 

Amanda Knox was just on his show. Pretty crazy to me. His episode with the migratory bird scientist was hilarious too

I'd bang Amanda
22 days ago
6/22/09
turducken -

John carmack is one of the best episodes in a while. The guy is a legend

It was really good.  

But I didn't appreciate Carmack straight lying about video game crunch culture.   "Chose to" do those hours, lol

22 days ago
7/16/14
forumnewb -
Yomarashi - 

I'd bang Amanda

They talk about that 

22 days ago
9/27/15
Rambo John J - 

I'm not into hunting whatsoever but I can listen to Rinella all day...
19 days ago
1/12/10

John Nores was a great episode with some amazing insight from boots on the ground. 

19 days ago
4/21/10
ons ear -
Rambo John J - 

I'm not into hunting whatsoever but I can listen to Rinella all day...

His podcast, the Meat Eater podcast, is phenomenal. 

19 days ago
5/9/06

I enjoyed the Penn Jilette episode. Joe gives a good explanation of his stance on conspiracy theories (particularly moon landing). Penn explains his reasoning or purpose behind appearing on celeb apprentice. I find a lot of Aethiests to be off putting in their arguments....Penn is awesome and very respectful of others views. 

19 days ago
5/22/16
Morgz -

I enjoyed the Penn Jilette episode. Joe gives a good explanation of his stance on conspiracy theories (particularly moon landing). Penn explains his reasoning or purpose behind appearing on celeb apprentice. I find a lot of Aethiests to be off putting in their arguments....Penn is awesome and very respectful of others views. 

I turned it off after 15 min.  Penn seemed more arrogant and pompous than I care to put up with.  

Does he relax, or is that him the entire episode?

18 days ago
2/2/08
Mynewscreenname - 
Morgz -

I turned it off after 15 min.  Penn seemed more arrogant and pompous than I care to put up with.  

The guy is legit mentally disabled vegan
18 days ago
1/1/15
Mynewscreenname -
Morgz -

I thought it was great.

They opposed eachother on a few things iirc, but were able to acknowledge eachother's points & keep moving forward.

Penn had a couple of good stories & I got the sense there was no motives for this one, just stream of consciousness

18 days ago
5/6/09
BJTT-OGtripleOG -
Mynewscreenname -
Morgz -

I thought it was great.

They opposed eachother on a few things iirc, but were able to acknowledge eachother's points & keep moving forward.

Penn had a couple of good stories & I got the sense there was no motives for this one, just stream of consciousness

I agree, I thought it was a great episode. As mentioned Joe did extremely well navigating the conversation even when he didn't agree with something for once

18 days ago
5/22/16

I tried again and made it another 20 minutes or so.  Penn is insufferable.  

I cant even put my finger on it.  He just seems fake and arrogant and the exact kind of guy I’d never hang out with. 

15 days ago
8/2/11

I’m done with Rogan podcast. He’s fucking insufferable now. He even managed to fuck up tge only interesting guests he’s had in the last couple of months by continually asking the neuroscientists pseudo political questions unrelated to neuroscience and trying to be smarter than Neil de Grasse Tyson. 

The podcast is shit