OtherGround Forums Wealthiest 400 pay lower taxes than everybody else

8 days ago
3/3/18
For the first time on record, the 400 wealthiest Americans last year paid a lower total tax rate — spanning federal, state and local taxes — than any other income group, according to newly released data.

That’s a sharp change from the 1950s and 1960s, when the wealthy paid vastly higher tax rates than the middle class or poor.

Since then, taxes that hit the wealthiest the hardest — like the estate tax and corporate tax — have plummeted, while tax avoidance has become more common.

President Trump’s 2017 tax cut, which was largely a handout to the rich, plays a role, too. It helped push the tax rate on the 400 wealthiest households below the rates for almost everyone else.

The overall tax rate on the richest 400 households last year was only 23 percent, meaning that their combined tax payments equaled less than one quarter of their total income. This overall rate was 70 percent in 1950 and 47 percent in 1980.
8 days ago
9/23/07
Good.

More rich people in america is a bonus.
8 days ago
11/9/17
They are smart, you are not!
8 days ago
3/27/09

And combined they most likely paid a bigger sum of money than the rest as well.

8 days ago
11/9/10
JonnyW -

BINGO!

8 days ago
1/1/01

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"

8 days ago
1/1/01

Taxation is theft 

8 days ago
8/29/09

Good for them. 

Why would anyone be mad that someone paid less taxes than they used to. 

Last year I made around 100k my federal tax liability was around $1,000.  You mad at me too?

8 days ago
8/29/19
JonnyW -

Bigger by orders of magnitude.

8 days ago
9/28/19
tjmitch -

Taxation is theft 

So, no taxes at all? I'm all in. 

8 days ago
11/13/14

In for butthurt responses. 

8 days ago
2/14/10
Kwang -

In for butthurt responses. 

Go right ahead. You're a big proponent of wealth distribution and spending other people's money. I'm sure this news chafes your vagina no end. 

8 days ago
8/1/13
Bad Monkey -

Good for them. 

Why would anyone be mad that someone paid less taxes than they used to. 

Last year I made around 100k my federal tax liability was around $1,000.  You mad at me too?

Perfect

8 days ago
11/9/10

Heard an interesting suggestion. Instead of using pay withholding and never seeing taxes go to a system where you pay quarterly and have to write the check. Let’s see how fast people change their opinions on taxes. 

8 days ago
11/9/10
de braco -

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"

From those who can to those who won’t. 

8 days ago
3/14/04
VinegarStrokes - 

Heard an interesting suggestion. Instead of using pay withholding and never seeing taxes go to a system where you pay quarterly and have to write the check. Let’s see how fast people change their opinions on taxes. 

How about we just eliminate double, triple, quadruple, etc... taxation?

We should also eliminate income tax right out of the gate.
8 days ago
11/4/10

Can we get a total amount paid by each. 

8 days ago
11/4/10

It’s always astonished me that people get mad at someone for wanting to keep more of the money they worked for. 

Apparently it is greedy to want to keep your money but not greedy to want the government to take someone’s money. 

8 days ago
5/23/07
VinegarStrokes - 

I pay most of my clients tax withholding monthly here (Canada)...if payroll is over a million a year it's semi monthly. Big fines if not remitted/paid in time.
8 days ago
4/27/18
JonnyW -

They paid the majority

8 days ago
7/24/14

What about having 1 type of tax and let that be sales tax. Higher rate than currently. Something like 25% or whatever. 

The more you consume the more taxes you pay. Business and individuals both. 

8 days ago
4/27/18
tjmitch -

Taxation is theft 

Easily demonstrable

Although I’ll add theft at the end of a gun barrel

and facing the rest of your life in prison if you resist

8 days ago
3/14/04
Strangleu - 
JonnyW -

They paid the majority

It's all relative.

For someone who makes 1,000,000/yr, paying 300K in taxes has much less of an effect on their lives than someone who makes $30K a year having to pay $10K/yr in taxes.

8 days ago
3/14/04
DollawayGotFistedByAPillow - 

What about having 1 type of tax and let that be sales tax. Higher rate than currently. Something like 25% or whatever. 

The more you consume the more taxes you pay. Business and individuals both. 

Yep, income tax should be eliminated. It's too problematic, as my example above shows.

8 days ago
5/30/09
KZTT_MMAfan55 -

It’s always astonished me that people get mad at someone for wanting to keep more of the money they worked for. 

Apparently it is greedy to want to keep your money but not greedy to want the government to take someone’s money. 

I'm bitter because I still pay a third of my income to the fucking government while rich and poor fuckers alike pay dick. The rich don't need a tax break and the poor need to work more. I'm out here busting my hump all day in the coal mines.. FOR WHAT!?

-my grandpa