OtherGround Forums What age did you allow tv in kids bedroom?

9 days ago
3/22/09

Never. I don’t have one as an adult either. The bedroom is for sleeping and screwing like the poster said above. 

9 days ago
9/23/07
Jibbersbitch - 

Sleep training my toddler is a pain and she’s in my bed by 9:30 every night. I know she would sleep better if I put a tv in her bedroom.

Really unsure about what to do.

My wife is 34 and I dont let her have a TV in the bedroom.
9 days ago
1/1/01

I didn't have one in my bedroom until I was in my 30's. I don't think kids need a TV in their room

9 days ago
1/1/01

Screen light screws up your melatonin levels. You're better off without TV or phone before bedtime. It's a bad habit. 

What's the issue - is it falling asleep or waking up and coming over? Do you still have nap time during the day? Maybe time to cut down or cut off if so. 

9 days ago
1/1/01
my kids are 4 and 7, no time soon. Their 15th birthday present is going to be their first cell phone, maybe their 14th can be a tv in their room.
9 days ago
9/23/07
Get them a white noise machine, a meditation app or a nice fan instead.
9 days ago
3/12/02

You could read to her at bedtime. Watching TV by herself at 9:30 pm is not a bad option if you don’t mind her becoming a stripper when she leaves home and school at 15.

9 days ago
1/2/06
donkypunch55 -

I was never allowed one as a kid and to this day I’ve never had a TV in my bedroom.

I’m 42.

I’ve never had one and don’t want one. My kids won’t either. 

9 days ago
1/11/06

Tv in the bedroom interferes with sleep. Bad idea to allow it in there. 

9 days ago
2/20/09
The Assassanator -

It’s borderline child abuse to not put a television in the room of any kid over 5 years old.

Cmon, this is a safe space, tell us your other screen names.

9 days ago
5/22/12
Dr Bombay -
Jibbersbitch -

Sleep training my toddler is a pain and she’s in my bed by 9:30 every night. I know she would sleep better if I put a tv in her bedroom.

Toddler going to bed at 9:30 pm?

She goes to sleep in her bed around 7:30, then wakes like clockwork around 9:30 and won’t go back in her bed.

Im liking the idea of a little goldfish tank.

9 days ago
11/5/16

I know it sounds like a possible solution but don’t do it. Go read to her in a montone voice, she’ll get there and have that bedtime experience.

9 days ago
5/2/02

I’ve never had a tv in the bedroom except when we were in corporate housing once.  Even then we never turned it on.  I like keeping my bedroom for sleep.  

We don’t have a tv in the kids’ room.  Also dont have any activities, desks or books.  We try to keep everything in the common areas of in the spot they do art and homework.  

9 days ago
5/2/02
Jibbersbitch -

How old of a toddler?   We started too late with our oldest and it was a loosing battle.  With the younger ones we started sleep training at around 4 months.  It’s a lot easier when they can’t get up.  

For all of them it helped getting a ritual going.  Black out curtains and bed time stories go a long way.  

In your case, because she’ll sleep on her own, what I’d do, and this may not be your thing, is just let her come over since she can fall asleep the first time.  Once she feels secure and safe she’ll fall asleep again.  Then just take her back to her room.  

You can explain that her room is hers and that’s her spot.  Explain that she can visit but needs to go back.  Maybe that’ll help

9 days ago
2/3/10

I got a tv in my room when I was 18 and I bought it myself.

9 days ago
4/11/05

Fuck me...shared bathrooms is one thing, but letting them in your kids bedroom?

Hard no fron me.

9 days ago
2/8/09

My daughter was 7 but never really watches it as she mostly use her room just for sleeping. 

9 days ago
12/14/07
Jibbersbitch -
Dr Bombay -
Jibbersbitch -

Toddler going to bed at 9:30 pm?

She goes to sleep in her bed around 7:30, then wakes like clockwork around 9:30 and won’t go back in her bed.

Im liking the idea of a little goldfish tank.

Ok....   I don’t think a TV is the answer.  Perhaps reach out to your pediatrician for advice.   

8 days ago
11/16/17

I had an shit tv in my room at like 10, no cable just for like super Nintendo and what not. At like 14 I got a decent TV with cable and I swear to this day. I need a TV or something playing when I sleep. Plus the years loud guitar and music I have tinnitus so I need something playing.

8 days ago
6/28/10
RKing85 - my kids are 4 and 7, no time soon. Their 15th birthday present is going to be their first cell phone, maybe their 14th can be a tv in their room.

sounds fun

8 days ago
1/1/01
joeywu36 - 

I dont believe in having a tv in your room.  I dont have one as an adult either.  The bedroom is for 2 things - sleeping and screwing.  But, I dont have cable, satellite, Netflix, Hulu or even an antenna.  We just watch a movie from time to time.  

This.

We have a finished basement where the kids hang out and watch TV.

There's a TV in a family room where my wife and I (and the kids) can watch TV.

Bedrooms are for quieter things like sleeping, reading, homework, etc.
8 days ago
1/1/01
BrckNoHitBk - 
RKing85 - my kids are 4 and 7, no time soon. Their 15th birthday present is going to be their first cell phone, maybe their 14th can be a tv in their room.

sounds fun

Huh?

Cellphone is absolutely unnecessary.

I give one to my kids (begrudgingly) when they reach high school since many teachers have activities with apps.

8 days ago
12/9/13

13 years

8 days ago
11/8/09

My kids are 17 and 13. They don’t have a tv in either of their rooms and we make them put their devices away (downstairs on the charger) at 9:30. 

8 days ago
11/17/10
Eskimo -
The Assassanator -

I don’t see what’s the big deal. I don’t remember ever NOT having a tv in my room. That sounds like poor people problems.

What’s your last name on here? Been trolling pretty hard. 

honestly he sounds like a sherdogger

they love cracking jokes about "Being poor" or "you sound poor"