OtherGround Forums What do you think is biggest problem with the OG?

11 days ago
10/19/19

i dont see anything wrong with the OG, Its heaven on earth here. A place you can do or say what you want and dont get judged!

11 days ago
10/19/19
My cat is cuter than your cat -
TequilaYuen -
Principal Andy -
Mountain Medic -
Principal Andy -

It’s not politics, per sbut the p threads that become mindless circle jerks. The abundance of these threads created a tolerance for trolling and blatant breaking of forum rules. This has enabled a core group of forum regulars in making this place toxic at times. They don’t care because they find themselves as the vocal majority around here, which only exasperates the rest of us.

I like the politics, won't pretend that I'm not active in those threads, although SCs recent meltdown and admission about why posted like that really has me questioning alot of that.

What I think really hurt this place was crossing streams. There was a time when we'd call each other faggot in one thread and laughing with each other in the next. But it slid into people who lacked the ability to separate the conversation from themselves. 

Like I said, it’s not the politics, it’s the lack of moderating of political threads. It’s unreasonable to think that someone can be a troll, bully, threaten, etc., on a political thread, then not be looked that way on non-political threads. For many it’s become completely acceptable to behave in a manner that goes against forum rules... and common decency for that matter. Allowing this behavior has created a toxic culture and has been turning people away.

Toxic is the word. I'm all for political discussion. What happens on the OG is not discussion, it is echo chamber of negativity. Those forum regulars you mention, there are certain screen names who can be counted on to always post something divisive, cruel, and often outright racist. Never anything positive.

It is frankly pathological. These are not good people. They are maladjusted and mentally unwell. And they are allowed to run rampant.

Why would anyone want to spend time on a forum where such voices are the most prominent.

Principal Andy and Tequila Yuen hitting the nail on the head. And like Yuen says in a subsequent post, this place is dead, the people still posting here just don't want to admit it yet. It won't get better, it'll just continue to deteriorate.

i wanna make this place better, what must we do

11 days ago
5/8/11
TequilaYuen -
fnunderful -

bring back the HG (and put all the great threads back) there is nothing good in the UG, the OG has some ok stuff, the bjj ground is getting very questionable and the rest who gives a fuck.  I joined because of the HG...the HG was more active then the bjj ground.....bring it back

You joke, but the subGrounds on this site used to be a big plus.

The S&C UnderGround was full of knowledgeable posters with great workout advice.

The GeekGround used to have full comics posted.

Each StateGround was a way to find out about regional scenes.

All gone. Things of the past. There is no longer the traffic to sustain any of that.

Another sign of how far this forum has fallen.

I was not joking...Hawaii ground was awesome!

11 days ago
6/27/18
TequilaYuen -
Principal Andy -
Mountain Medic -
Principal Andy -

It’s not politics, per sbut the p threads that become mindless circle jerks. The abundance of these threads created a tolerance for trolling and blatant breaking of forum rules. This has enabled a core group of forum regulars in making this place toxic at times. They don’t care because they find themselves as the vocal majority around here, which only exasperates the rest of us.

I like the politics, won't pretend that I'm not active in those threads, although SCs recent meltdown and admission about why posted like that really has me questioning alot of that.

What I think really hurt this place was crossing streams. There was a time when we'd call each other faggot in one thread and laughing with each other in the next. But it slid into people who lacked the ability to separate the conversation from themselves. 

Like I said, it’s not the politics, it’s the lack of moderating of political threads. It’s unreasonable to think that someone can be a troll, bully, threaten, etc., on a political thread, then not be looked that way on non-political threads. For many it’s become completely acceptable to behave in a manner that goes against forum rules... and common decency for that matter. Allowing this behavior has created a toxic culture and has been turning people away.

Toxic is the word. I'm all for political discussion. What happens on the OG is not discussion, it is echo chamber of negativity. Those forum regulars you mention, there are certain screen names who can be counted on to always post something divisive, cruel, and often outright racist. Never anything positive.

It is frankly pathological. These are not good people. They are maladjusted and mentally unwell. And they are allowed to run rampant.

Why would anyone want to spend time on a forum where such voices are the most prominent.

Principal Andy and Tequila Yuen hitting the nail on the head. And like Yuen says in a subsequent post, this place is dead, the people still posting here just don't want to admit it yet. It won't get better, it'll just continue to deteriorate.

BREAK THE HABIT.

11 days ago
7/5/03
My cat is cuter than your cat - 
TequilaYuen -
Principal Andy -
Mountain Medic -
Principal Andy -

Yep I agree they both did. A toxic echo chamber is what this place has become that I frequent much less
11 days ago
10/8/13
TequilaYuen -
El_Geronimo_de_Gato -
MMA Promoter1 -
El_Geronimo_de_Gato -
Matrix -
El_Geronimo_de_Gato -

I dont know how the fuck to respond to a quote with a picture, but this was in response to matrix's post above.

Ok what’s this other site? I’m about done here.

The mma community. Forum and features are great ; dudes running it are great and they give a shit. Just needs more off topic traffic. But i imagine they ll be getting an increase in the next month or two. Just a hunch.

Doubt it. Why go to TMMAC when you can just go to Sherdog. Way more traffic over there. 

Because sherdog sucks ( thats been the consensus here forever btw ) and the tmmac doesnt and is all former ug/og members. 

Seems pretty obvious to me. 

147 pages of this thread seem to indicate this place also sucks. Sherdog is looking better and better every day. But then again just about every forum is looking better and better than this place for a variety of reasons.

Oh there is no doubt. Sherdog is definitely superior to this site at this point. Anyone who says different is just being sentimental.

First and foremost, Sherdog is stable. It doesn’t have catastrophic technical problems like here, no “forum deleted” or hidden video ads burning up your data usage.

Second, Sherdog has active moderation. The shit that goes on here with assholes trying to doxx you and threaten you via private message, all that gets shut down fast at Sherdog.

Third, Sherdog as a site is actually useful. Real news items, not like here with the junior high school writing and lazy ass typos in the headlines. Sherdog’s fight finder is definitive, a valuable reference.

Fourth, and this might seem blasphemous to some, the Sherdog user base is bigger and better than here. Yeah I said it, better. Because they have diversity of opinion and more respect for differences. This right wing politics on this site are out of control, just constant race baiting and MAGA shit, days where every fucking OG thread is Trump.

Sherdog has the sense to keep that stuff separate. If you want political flame wars, go to the War Room. If you want general conversation, go to Mayberry. That way actual discussion can occur instead of MAGA trolls following you from thread to thread trying to fuck with you.

The UG used to lord it over Sherdog that the UG had the history, the UG was for veterans, Sherdog was for newbs. Well guess what, Sherdog now has just as much history. Sherdog forums have been around for close to 20 years, and they are doing much healthier than the UG.

Nailed it

11 days ago
4/27/06
Y'all are posting in a troll thread....
10 days ago
11/28/19

Too many fags

10 days ago
4/17/15
sucromai -

Too many fags

Not enough fags 

10 days ago
12/1/12
sucromai -

Too many fags

Too many homoslice accounts. Wouldn’t you agree homoslice?

10 days ago
7/31/09
Kevinbarbers1 -

i dont see anything wrong with the OG, Its heaven on earth here. A place you can do or say what you want and dont get judged!

You get judged. Everyone here is judging you.

10 days ago
9/24/07
LTL - Y'all are posting in a troll thread....

Haha... Too true, too true. 

10 days ago
9/24/07
TequilaYuen -
Principal Andy -
Mountain Medic -
Principal Andy -

Anyone actively advocating for a move to shitdog as a step in a better direction either doesn't remember his history or wasn't around back in the day. That shithole was the model for over and selective moderation at it's best and it's pretty far removed from its glory days now. The fanboys there are about a half-dozen IQ points off legally retarded to boot.

We may be fiddling while Rome burns here, but a bad day in the OG is better than any good day on shitdog. 

10 days ago
1/1/01

Stevie Wonder could see it coming.

Now, suddenly, you want to listen to people.

10 days ago
8/18/09
b.d. -
TequilaYuen -
Principal Andy -
Mountain Medic -
Principal Andy -

Anyone actively advocating for a move to shitdog as a step in a better direction either doesn't remember his history or wasn't around back in the day. That shithole was the model for over and selective moderation at it's best and it's pretty far removed from its glory days now. The fanboys there are about a half-dozen IQ points off legally retarded to boot.

We may be fiddling while Rome burns here, but a bad day in the OG is better than any good day on shitdog. 

Back in the day, myself, Dave Jacobs, and a couple other guys were all banned from Sherdog. Like you said, it was overly and selectively modded and many of the posters there were idiots. That said, it really is better than this place. Take a step back and look at the quality of posters here. They make being a half-dozen IQ points below legally retarded as being geniuses. This place is filled with the dumbest of the dumb, and the complete absence of moderation has allowed them to run the asylum, which is worse than Sherdog ever was.
10 days ago
10/29/13
b.d. -
TequilaYuen -
Principal Andy -
Mountain Medic -
Principal Andy -

Back in the day, myself, Dave Jacobs, and a couple other guys were all banned from Sherdog. Like you said, it was overly and selectively modded and many of the posters there were idiots. That said, it really is better than this place. Take a step back and look at the quality of posters here. They make being a half-dozen IQ points below legally retarded as being geniuses. This place is filled with the dumbest of the dumb, and the complete absence of moderation has allowed them to run the asylum, which is worse than Sherdog ever was.

OK then why are you here posting?

10 days ago
8/18/09
JonJonesBone -
b.d. -
TequilaYuen -
Principal Andy -
Mountain Medic -
Principal Andy -

It's a thread on the OG's problems--who better to post on the thread than people who are disillusioned with the OG? What part of that is difficult to grasp?
10 days ago
1/1/01
JonJonesBone -
b.d. -
TequilaYuen -
Principal Andy -
Mountain Medic -
Principal Andy -

It's a thread on the OG's problems--who better to post on the thread than people who are disillusioned with the OG? What part of that is difficult to grasp?

you're crying because it isn't a safe space for your 57 genders and antifags

10 days ago
8/18/09
de braco -
JonJonesBone -
b.d. -
TequilaYuen -
Principal Andy -
Mountain Medic -
Principal Andy -

God you sound dumb. Your response doesn't even make sense or have anything to do with anything people have said, but yeah, you're soooo edgy. And good use of recent buzz words. Great job. Now let the adults get back to talking about why people like you have killed this place.
10 days ago
1/1/01
de braco -
JonJonesBone -
b.d. -
TequilaYuen -
Principal Andy -
Mountain Medic -
Principal Andy -

God you sound dumb. Your response doesn't even make sense or have anything to do with anything people have said, but yeah, you're soooo edgy. And good use of recent buzz words. Great job. Now let the adults get back to talking about why people like you have killed this place.

you're bitching because it's a place where you're not in an echo chamber, you stupid cocksucker. Go back to reddit you tuf newb faggot, where free speech is frowned upon and you'll feel safe hearing only the babble of like minded communist

10 days ago
1/1/01

I'm one of the original members of this place, you fucking retard

Edited: 9 days ago
8/18/09
de braco -
de braco -
JonJonesBone -
b.d. -
TequilaYuen -
Principal Andy -
Mountain Medic -
Principal Andy -

you're bitching because it's a place where you're not in an echo chamber, you stupid cocksucker. Go back to reddit you tuf newb faggot, where free speech is frowned upon and you'll feel safe hearing only the babble of like minded communist

sigh, you aren't good at this.

- the lack of an echo chamber isn't one of the problems here.

- "you stupid cockcocker' is powerless speech. It's what dumb guys say when they can't articulate.

- I'm not from reddit.

- 'tuf newb faggot' is just more powerless speech. It doesn't mean anything. It just makes you look dumb and poorly educated.

- I'm not at all for communism.

-You're proving exactly what people are saying about the quality of posters here.

- And no one cares how long you've been here.

9 days ago
1/1/01

no idiot, it's your lack of an echo chamber, you despise opposing views and have become accustomed to not having to hear them, when you do, it's frustrating and you think they should be silenced. If i have been here for 21 years, i know what has ruined the place, and it's not opposing view points, it's safe space gender fluid facist fairies like you who find any disagreement with your dogma unacceptable

9 days ago
3/29/13
de braco -

no idiot, it's your lack of an echo chamber, you despise opposing views and have become accustomed to not having to hear them, when you do, it's frustrating and you think they should be silenced. If i have been here for 21 years, i know what has ruined the place, and it's not opposing view points, it's safe space gender fluid facist fairies like you who find any disagreement with your dogma unacceptable

Y'all are both what's wrong with this place, bickering like 2 year olds over an online forum for fucks sake

9 days ago
4/17/15
de braco -

I'm one of the original members of this place, you fucking retard

So you have a long track record as a part of a shitty community. Got it.